Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178253 times)

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #750 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:36 pm »

You kind of remind me of sirocco in syrupleaf
To me, he reminds me more of Silento Boborachi.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 29, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »

In tribute to a great and long awaited writeup I made this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

{I wonder if anyone will get it...}
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 29, 2012, 10:26:18 pm »

Commodore 64 Zapp Brannigan (with beard) merged with a DF head. It is a remarkable likeness. Kudos to you.  :D
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 29, 2012, 11:45:23 pm »

Absolutely awesome post, lol - that's exactly what I meant when I said quality. Love how good it is - I lol'd a quite a bit (granted, lol'ing isn't something uncommon for me). I'm still a bit confused... If The Master started the construction, why didn't he finish it?
All in all, though, great autumn.
Now... How goes the mugs? I hope you're making more. ;)

Got your pic up, Solpyre. :) Can't wait to see what you do with The Master. lol   
Oh, and loved your 404 pic, that was pure, unrefined epicness. And don't worry, I got it. ;D

edit: hmm, it's working again. before, it wasn't... now it is. :P You drew that, right? lol    mind if I put it on page 1? I'm guessing that's about what Draignean's dwarf looks like. :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:42:34 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 30, 2012, 01:27:48 am »

That update made me a bit tight in the... dress?

Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 30, 2012, 03:08:26 am »

@Talvieno:

If he devotes all the workers to making 300 spikes now, it'll help us stay alive long enough to devote all the workers to making 3,000 mugs later.

Great work on the update. Worth the wait.

I'm concerned that you might not be able to get all the spikes set up in time.

Sus, in the event that Draig doesn't finish the trap, you are to finish whatever's left to be done before building yourself a giant phallus out of mugs or whatever, comprends-tu ça?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 30, 2012, 11:47:23 am »

News:

Our forges have used the last of our worked iron, smelters are going full steam to produce more, but the lack of an efficient way to transport ore to the magma forges is slowing things down.

I miscalculated the amount of iron necessary to work each level of the fall trap, the main path (the one that knocks spawn off into the pits) will require 400 units of worked iron, each pit will also require 400 units of iron. So, in total the trap will have 1200 iron spikes in it when complete.

140 151 iron spikes have been completed as of now, and I believe I can have the trap operating to a useful degree by the end of my term.

Oh, and Splint is a lazy bastard. He ate, drank, and tooks breaks for the entire duration of the caravan's stay.

(Total specs for the trap,
84 mechanisms
3 stone
1 door
1200 iron spikes)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:38:20 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 30, 2012, 03:07:22 pm »

There's a reason why I set depots to anyone may trade. You know how finicky fortress merchants are about working during caravan season.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 30, 2012, 03:46:35 pm »

I do hope you're using only top quality mechanisms.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 30, 2012, 04:27:14 pm »

I do hope you're using only top quality mechanisms.
HAHAHA! You tell funny joke.

Seriously though, Mr(No period) Frog is a legendary mechanic, Mekkia is a legendary mechanic (I think, either that or high-master). We have so many masterwork and exceptional mechanisms that we could have done the engineering for a trap twice as long and three times as wide, and that is without dipping into the low quality stocks.

Hell, if we could make traps out of nothing but mechanisms and mugs we'd be set for life.
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 30, 2012, 04:33:24 pm »

I swaer to all the gods of this besotted mierable fortress, I will make a gun that fires mugs if it's the last thing I do!!!!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 30, 2012, 04:36:38 pm »

I swaer to all the gods of this besotted mierable fortress, I will make a gun that fires mugs if it's the last thing I do!!!!

...could we mod in a stone-fall trap that uses mugs?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:25 pm »

I have no idea. But if I have to make mug ammo and a mug cannon I will.

On an unrelated note, you guys had better make this increasingly epic, cause I wanna put all the new dwarven toys me and Talvieno made into a sequel.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:22 pm »

Another lever has been added to the system in order to add a meatgrinder functionality. Now if something survives the 110ft fall you can pull a lever, forcing them to walk back up the stairs and over the exact same spike traps just to get out.
---

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »

In Solpyre's Chamber

In the dark places beneath blood soaked hill and booze soaked halls there is a passage that leads downward into the earth. The walls are rough hewn and shadows fill the corners and cracks. One such shadow conceals a small fissure in the rock, down near the floor, where only the groping hand of a dwarf on his knees could find it. At first the fissure might seem too narrow to squeeze into but a persistent dwarf could do it, with time and a few unpleasant contortions. Any dwarf who did would find that the fissure leads through the wall and opens out into a small chamber after only a yard or so. The chamber is a near perfect sphere with egg shell smooth walls. There are uneven lines of writing running in a circle around the entrance, mostly written in rusty red but here and there engraved into the stone.

I found it. I made it, this place. The teeth led me here and it was waiting. It was here and I was waiting to find it. Teeth make  tiny clicking noises if you drop them, then they bounce away. The teeth led me here CLICK CLICK CLICK. Yes, as if they knew it would be the perfect place. I was more careful after that. Mouths carry teeth so easily but I carry teeth one at a time now.

The lines of writing begin to move outward from the ring around the entrance into a expanding spiral.

Begin at the beginning. His hand had clauses from holding poles so much. His hand dove into the bin I was carrying like a dagger into flesh at the table. It came out holding the blue thing. BLUE SHARPNESS TOO NEAR THE EYE TOO NEAR. Yes, he held it up to the light to look at it and I saw. In my head. In the reflection of his blue face. Tiny reflection, sharp and clear I saw. I dropped the bin on my foot. I knew, I didn’t have to watch what happened later, I already knew.

I couldn’t tell anyone. I tried, it was like the word he says. He has to say the word , he has to, no choice. SHOUT RED WORD TO THE CEILING. It was like that, the opposite of that. No choice, had to be silent.

I didn’t have to watch what happened but I did. Something broke, I heard it. Something else broke too, silently. He only said the word once. It wasn’t enough. The word wanted more, saying it wasn’t enough he had to DO IT. No choice, CARNAGE.

After the red word stopped and he was dead. Free from the word, that red word, wouldn’t set him free, not after the thing broke. I found the first thing that broke, afterwards. Didn’t know what to do with it until the teeth led me here. BLUE THING NEW-MADE UNMADE. His teeth. Just one more thing to do and then I’ll be free of him. He is free of the red word and after I finish the picture I’ll be free of him.

In the center of the chamber floor is a spearhead made of blue garnet all craftdwarfship is of the finest quality. It is broken.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Its been awhile since Ive done much writing, feels good. As this unusual jurnal indicates I am working on the picture of The Master's final mad battle.
@Talvieno please do. I drew it using a paused futurama episode after rereading through all the stuff I'd missed on here. The I couldn't get the image of a zapp line spewing Brannigan dorf combined with the DF version of what Spiderman looked like when he sensed danger in the (really) old comics.
 EDIT: out of my head^
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:49:36 pm by SolPyre »
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 815