Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178650 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #870 on: April 09, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »

(The following notes have been hastily scribbled into the margins of the page, seemingly as an afterthought)
- Set up a second still, made of brass bars. Can't go cheap when booze is in question!
- Dariush and The Master II have been dorfed as the closest match I could find. Sadly, no legendaries available, so I picked the most skilled unclaimed weaponsmith for Dariush and the best available fighter for The Master II. Dariush has all labors disabled except weaponsmithing, metal crafting and suturing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Please don't kill me...)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 09, 2012, 02:40:02 pm »

Steelcrazy!? Dude, The Master lucked out with that one.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 09, 2012, 03:44:14 pm »

Lol, wow. Sus, you move fast.  :o   Kudos to you for that. Loving every bit of the writeup so far - you're doing an awesome job. Sounds like you pretty much have everything under control. Also, pretty nice character... Scottish, right? Possibly with a little something else I can't quite put my finger on.

You're expanding the clover/shamrock?   I can't quite remember just how bad of shape it was in when I left it... lol

The image next to STRAZXA!!! is 404'd, by the way. I can't see it.

Mr Frog - Strazxa must've shown up during your turn, right? I don't recall seeing anyone by that name (or naming anyone that).
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 09, 2012, 04:15:03 pm »

Sorry can't read right now. got to get to work. wrote this at school

What do you think? Yes? No?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:58 pm »

Excellent Terrahex. And in my last entry, the dwarf mnetioned lacking a journal tethered to them was you.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 09, 2012, 05:03:54 pm »

The who to the what, now?
Which lever?

It should be to the right of the spike control level, on the same horizontal plane. I mentioned it in my sit-rep, should be grey. It controls the bridge that leads onto the spike trap.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 09, 2012, 08:02:26 pm »

Excellent Terrahex. And in my last entry, the dwarf mnetioned lacking a journal tethered to them was you.

I know, but I was waiting till your dorf tracked down mine and somehow forced mine to take a diary or something. There's no way terra hex the dorf would just ask for one

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 09, 2012, 08:15:08 pm »

Ah. I guess you'll be journalless til Sus' next write-up then.

And I'm glad the spawn are being merciful.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 09, 2012, 08:19:15 pm »

By the way, I forgot to mention that if I missed any character in that write up up there then could somebody please tell me so I could add them

EDIT: somebody name that girl who had the golden rose too
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:21:31 pm by Terrahex »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »

Lol, wow. Sus, you move fast.  :o   Kudos to you for that. Loving every bit of the writeup so far - you're doing an awesome job. Sounds like you pretty much have everything under control. Also, pretty nice character... Scottish, right? Possibly with a little something else I can't quite put my finger on.
I kind of modeled him on Durkon Thundershield from Order of the Stick, who, I guess, is Scottish...ish. Also, I think Dwarf!Sus is supposed to be a simple, down to earth (much more literally than the usual sense :P ) working class character who's kind of over his head when he suddenly finds himself in charge of the whole fort.
You're expanding the clover/shamrock?   I can't quite remember just how bad of shape it was in when I left it... lol
It was missing two leaves, at least, and only one was partially stocked with coffins. Given our usual circumstances, I've decided to step up the funeral industry a bit.
The image next to STRAZXA!!! is 404'd, by the way. I can't see it.
Damn. It was supposed to be the something awful :rage: fist-shake... Replacing it with a >:( for now.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 09, 2012, 09:30:35 pm »

Spoiler: Journal of Mr Frog (click to show/hide)

NOTE TO TALVIENO: This is technically a response to Draignean's last entry, so it should probably be placed with the Year 4 journals.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 10, 2012, 01:03:22 am »

Osta Hateapex, the goblin. What a funny name.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 10, 2012, 04:49:36 pm »

The picture is nearing completion!
(and maybe you want to wait until im done to see but here is the progress)
Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 10, 2012, 06:56:38 pm »

19th Hematite, 204
The production o' iron spikes be lagging behind. I immediat'ly order the forges t' turn out as many spikes as dwarvenly poss'ble.
While I be attendin' some o' tha less pressin' matters like bedroom designations, a commotion comes from the outdoors.
1)

Some kind o' weird bull-headed humanoid shows up at our doorstep. Like many others b'fore, it makes a beeline for th' fort entrance.
Tho' it be hard t' see thru all the miasma waftin' about, our militia an' war dogs go 'bout their business at 'eir usual eff'ency. In the end, Gemblade chops th' brute ta bits an' spills its guts all o'er the floor.
Cannae call it a pretty picture, but what can ye do; th' thing had it comin', thinkin' it can just walk into Spearbreakers like that.
Now ta clean up th' mess... I guess I'll need ta reclaim the gear o' the fallen goblins an' that minotaur thing, if it had any. Also need to be thinkin' 'bout beefin' up our military a bit; tho' they're plenty capable, our killin'dorfs are spread a bit thin. I figure a fresh recruit or two a squad woul' give 'em a bit more time ta catch their breath 'tween the brawls. Also need to be thinkin' 'bout that marksdorf squad.

1)I C wut U did thar. :P

15th Limestone, 204
After the bull monster bit it, I set about t' produce s' more weapons for th' militia. Some pikes an' battle axes are in order, at least. Crossbows we have no shortage of, as I'd set those on repeated product'n earlier and forgot about it for a time. O' well, at least we've got a quality crossbow or two for av'ry marksdorf.

I went ahead an' declared myself Mayor, no matter what that twat o' a diplomat says. 'e seemed to make a big deal out o' it, screamin' all about "outrageous behavior" or whatnot an' sayin' he had importan' friends and tha' I'd be punish'd. I helped 'im out th' door and gave 'im an encouragin' kick on th' rump ta send 'im on 'is way.

'nother wave o' migrants strolled in. I told Splint t' set them workin' on whatever he thinks they're good fer, or hauling if they've no useful skills. On the other hand, some o' the patients in tha hospital didn' make it, either due to wounds or th' fact th' medics responsible fer feedin' em seem like a bunch o' the laziest louts I ever set eyes upon. Rolf an' Ashsaber II, at least, are no long'r wit' us. Seems 'twas a timely decis'n ta make more room in th' Funeral Clover. (Somedorf's been so bold as to even stuff their pet in one o' th' coffins. Hrmph.)

There was a longish quiet while 'fore th' human caravan show'd up. They'd almost made it inside when the greenskins made 'nother pass at robbin 'em. I sent th' militia to tha gates, seein' there's nae much threat from a couple o' goblins.

But somethin' was off here; these goblins seem'd much more organiz'd than their usual ilk. I was surveyin' th' battle from a lookout point when I saw it: A creature much taller an' bigger 'n any goblin. A Spawn of Holistic! How in the Gods' names coul' such a thing be leadin' a band o' magny greenskins? 'twas most troublin'.

'twas too late ta close th' gates, as th' thing was already upon our sold'rs. A good thing they 'ad so much armor, otherwise they'd got bitten fer sure. As it was, th' thing ne'er got a bite in 'fore Fischer punched it straight innae mouth wit' 'er gauntlet, sendin' teeth flyin' ev'rywere.
Th' thing fought on fer a while, until she drove 'er spear right thru its heart. At this point th' goblins found their runnin'feet, but it was too late fer 'em an' the filthy scum got slaughtered to the last stinkin' one o' em.

Splint was makin' all sorts o' excuses not ta talk wit' the humans, so I told some random dorf near th' depot ta buy us some booze an' barrels at least, an' a couple o' spears would do nicely, thank ye.'

Tha's it fer th' summer. Now, I gotta ponder on this whole "war leader" thing. Maybe that shady Mr Frog char'cter can shed some light on what happen'd out there; 'e seems ta know more 'bout these things 'n 'e lets out...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:54:36 pm by Sus »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 10, 2012, 10:37:42 pm »

Spawn can assimilate into other societies (a fact which I'm sure would shock dorf!Mr Frog to no end). A Spawn that assimilated into a goblin society would likely rise to the top very quickly and stay there, seeing as how they're ridiculously hard-to-kill and don't die from old age.

Unless you wanted an in-character response, in which case you'll probably get one, if/when I ever get around to it.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 815