Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178433 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #930 on: April 12, 2012, 12:00:28 am »

We already know almost for certain that his countermeasure works. That's the most I'll say :3
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 12, 2012, 12:08:54 am »

The if its so, it was unintended and therefore we can ignor it. besides, I like the thought of him being a walking afront to the genva convention ban on chemical weaponry.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:56 am »

We already know almost for certain that his countermeasure works. That's the most I'll say :3

Suicide by spawn bite?

Also, your dorf is awesome the way it is
What do you think? Yes? No?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 12, 2012, 12:32:32 am »

Quote from: Terrahex
Suicide by spawn bite?

Guess again! :p

I reread Sus's last update, and I'll say this: it ain't the teeth in their mouths you should be worrying about :3

Dorf!Mr Frog was so hostile in his last few journals basically because dorf!Draig was in charge and dorf!Draig is perfectly-suited towards rubbing dorf!Mr Frog the wrong way. I wouldn't say he's a pleasant person; just that he's not the simmering cauldron of !!RAGE!! that dorf!Draig consistently reduced him to :p
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 12, 2012, 03:33:03 am »

An Interlude

There's no way out. A dead end. How did I even end up in this corridor? I've never seen it 'fore.
The Spawn is bearin' down on me. But this isn' just some crude beast bent on killin' everythin' it sees; this is a thing posses'd of an evil intellect. It knows I'm trapped, an' lets out a snicker, followed by what sounds like Goblinese. In th' dark behind it, I hear its greenskin minions cacklin' gleefully.

IT spreads its chest-maw wide open an' charges. I try to swing my pick but it's som'how stuck in the wall behind me. I raise my left arm in front of me face, knowin' full well it's just two layers o' no-quality bismuth bronze chain 'tween me and certain death or worse.

Som'how, in the nick of time, the pick comes loose. I swing wit' all me might and it strikes true, straight in the mouth o' the ungodly horror. The spawn explodes in a spray of teeth and....

I wake up. In my own bed. A nightmare, tha's all it was.
This overseein' stuff must be more o' a burden than I realiz'd. Ever since I named meself the "Foreman" of the fort, I've hardly had one night o' proper sleep. Or a decent drink. Leafin' throught me journal entries from the summer, it looks like I've been almost sober by th' time the War Leader's band came ambushin' the merchants. I can barely read th' scribble meself. Come to think o' it, I say it's time I head down the pantry an' grab a barrel or two o' that good ol' "fortified brandy" stuff the brewer keeps hidin' away for himself...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:35:08 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 12, 2012, 03:43:51 am »

dorf!Sus, you don't actually want to know what's in the "fortified brandy", but rest assured that it is in no way good for your general well-being or long-term life expectancy :)

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 12, 2012, 06:46:06 am »

dorf!Sus, you don't actually want to know what's in the "fortified brandy", but rest assured that it is in no way good for your general well-being or long-term life expectancy :)

Neither is anything else in this fortress

Except Spawny. I see why she left now  :-\

May end up writing up my first new journal today about how I got my new journal the other day. Looking forward to writing it up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:48:04 am by Terrahex »
What do you think? Yes? No?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:20 am »

Joseph isent there. hes not living in the fortress, he just communicates with one who lives there. besides, i was thinking more line Mr Frog took me from a different time, not his time, into this time by accident and thus he had to explain himself to me so i dident go totally batshit crazy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
fun.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 12, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »

Neither is anything else in this fortress
I tend to agree.

[OoC]
Corai and Aseaheru have been dorfed. Corai got one of the available male dorfs, apparently a craftsdorf of all trades. Aseaheru was dorfed as Not Speardwarf, unfortunately, as most of the skilled spear users are already claimed. However, he was recruited to The Gloved Pages, our go-to speardorf outfit, so he should pick up rather quickly.
(For whatever reason, the nicknames assigned via Therapist don't seem to "stick" in the game in some cases.  :-\ )
[/OoC]

7th Opal, 204
Ah, been feelin' a lot better after I got some proper booze in me system. Also, things seem t' have quieted down for a bit again. The construction of th' archers' tower is coming along right nice, as is the spike trap corridor. Also, I finally found out the matter wit' the outdoors entrance to th' trap corridor: some smart lad had order'd the ramp in thar to be floored over. Now that the spikes are built almost ready an' nearly finished hookin' up to the lever, I've ordered the floor to be torn down. I'd say 'twas almost serene here right now, had I not been nearly ran over by one o' tha woodsdorfs - Lor I think 'is name was. He ran down the corridor shoutin' all about some "great idea" an' having That Look in 'is eyes. He settled down in an empty carpenter's shop an' started dragging all kindsa stuff in there.

I also had a talk 'bout the strange "War Leader" Spawn wit' Splint and Mr Frog, who seem to know the most 'bout the accursed things around here. Splint figures the War Leader I saw must've been snatched by goblins as a child an' risen to power as it grew up, 'cause if there's something those things knows how to do, it's killin'. Sounds reasonable but fer one thing: what kind o' goblin would want to steal one of those ...things..., even as a child? They must be even crazier than I've ever thought. As I told Mr Frog 'bout the Spawn seemin' to speak wit' the goblins, he went awful pale. I don' know what frightens me more, the fact that those beasts seem to be all intelligent an' having some kind of plan to wipe out ev'ry last dorf in the world, or his react'n. I later caught a glimpse o' him poking that odd glowing rock o' his and mutterin' something about "Upmanage". Whatever that is, it doesn't sound good. One o' the less known Gods, maybe? If it is, I don' think it's a benevolent one...

Some time after th' incident wit' Lor, another throng o' migrants show'd up. They got quickly assigned to some new jobs. Whew, we're startin' to have quite a lot o' folk here already. Figure I need to be designatin' some new bedrooms. Also noticed our current bedrooms are startin' to get an awful lot o' clutter, so buildin' some coffers an' cabinets is in order.

The military is gettin' in some good training an' gear. Th' dog training program is also startin' to pay off, so I got some freshly train'd war dogs assigned. Otherwise, ther's still a lot to do on controllin' the animal populations... Even buildin' two more butcher's shops hasn't sped up the process much.

Did I say it was quiet in 'ere? Somebody must've heard, since down in the caverns, somethin' evil was once again afoot. This time, I hear, it's a huge man made o' flames.
A goblin thief also shows up, stabbin' a plant gatherer in the leg before running off. Urvi is added to th' list of missin' dorfs, only to be found  moments later, dead from thirst. Yet 'nother testament to th' legendary "efficiency" of our health care...

Lor finish'd his "great idea". Turns out 'twas a feather wood splint.

Well, since I've been improvin' my own mood wit' generous amounts of brandy lately, I think it's time to share the fun! I'll be throwing a party at this here shale Table, if anyone's feelin' the need for a little pick-me-up! Might even perform me famous Mug Dance...

Whew, some party that was! How I got this *palm bucket* on me head an' all dressed up in nothin' but a +capybara leather thong+ an' (­«cave spider silk dress»), I may never know... As I was changin' into a bit more appropriate gear, a messenger came in sayin' the caravan was here, along wit' the liaison from tha Mountainhomes. Knowin' that the greenskins love ta pay their nasty visit at the same time as the caravan, I sent our militia squads to th' depot, just in case.

Sure enough, the goblins were up t' their usual tricks: a "trader" near th' border of our lands spotted a three-goblin ambush movin' towards the wagon train. I sent the militias after 'em, while they kept harassin' the poor merchant. At the same time, a pair o' kobold thieves thought they'd grab some easy loot durin' the commotion. Boy, were they mistaken; th' first one got in a bit of a ruff 'n' tumble with the militia an' dodged off the spiked walkway. It ended up several floors down on a stone floor wit' a satisfying *crunch*. The second one was chopped to bits by Gemblade. The militia then set off to chase the greenskins.

'nother disturbing example o' the malicious wit of these things: as the militia was busy chasin' the first ambush, two more sprang out right on top o' the caravan, one of 'em with yet another Spawn soldier. This one seem'd to be just a grunt, though, not a leader. Fortunately, the caravan guards managed ta keep the ambush at bay long enough for our soldiers to come bail them out. One hapless plant gatherer wasn' quite so lucky an' got torn to pieces by the Spawn. After our boys joined the fray, the goblins' resolve broke right quick, an' the spawn was put outta commission. It did get a bite out of  a caravan guard's lip before dyin'. I don' have the heart t' tell the poor soldier what's probably comin' to 'im... Even as the wagons were pullin' up to the depot, one final greenskin ambush an' a pair of baby snatchers did show up.  They were no match for our season'd militia. I don' think a single one of 'em went back home.

Anyways, tradin' time. We dumped some magny ol' clothes, a couple o' shiny mugs an' some mechanisms on th' traders fer all the booze an' barrels they could muster. I think we got some spears an' pikes outta the trade as well. Th' traders made a comment or two about the Barbarian blood rain in these parts that had started once again. They also gave a dirty look to th' butcher's shoppes runnin' at full capacity right near the depot... Traded a bit more though, this time for a bunch o' Plump helmets an' a lot of cheese. Seems there was some kind o' confusion regard'n the position of Mayor yet again, so the Liaison just scoffed an' turned on his heels. Th' merchants left soon after him.

After the tradin' was done, somebody told me Strazxa had apparently starved to death. By the Gods, isn' anybody feedin' the bloody patients 'round here?!
(Note t' self: must look into some kind o' "designated medic" system in th' near future.)

As I was surveyin' the fort, somethin' odd caught me eye in the caverns: an area of the undergroud was full o' smoke wit' the cave moss and fungi all smolderin'. Turns out that flame lad down there had been startin' fires everywhere 'e went.

So, tha's about it for Autumn. Now tha' the winter is comin' on, I have a daunting task ahead o' me: I'll need t' sit down wit' Splint an' look over our entire inventory. There's just too many bloody (xlarge troll fur sockx)s, (copper cap)s an' whatnot around here. What we can use we'll keep, but any tattered rags, large an' small clothes an' other worthless crap will be either dump'd in the magma or melted down fer metals. The great cullin' o' animals shall also continue wit' all haste. All in all, I'd say we're doin' pretty good. The second still is producin' impressive amounts o' booze, there's plenty o' food, the spike corridor is almost ready an' our military seems to kick some pretty serious arse.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:13:11 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 12, 2012, 12:16:42 pm »

@Aseaheru:

I don't think dorf!Mr Frog is brain-dead enough to accidentally friggin' let someone into a interplanar wormhole :p  He may casually mix booze and tranquilizers, but he at least has more discretion than that.

I thought Joseph was affiliated with the corporation at first, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I've decided that he's some sort of interplanar terrorist.

Also: Joseph and Mr Frog's Drug Problem would like to jointly remind y'all: careful 'bout them offhanded jokes -- here in Spearbreakers, they take on a life of their own :p

EDIT: Wow, ninja'd by an entire friggin' update :o

I may have to take back what I said about dorf!Mr Frog having discretion... he has a truly baffling habit of forgetting to Forbid his door while he's iPadding :-\

I love how our so-called "healthcare" system has a higher fortress death toll than the goblins and Spawn combined.

You may want to do something about Torchy Burns there... having an entire cavern layer constantly up in flames will not be good for FPS.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:33:07 pm by Mr Frog »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 12, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »

wow. except for the facial features, skin collor and 2 other things my guy and i are identical.... wow.
typos are from internet explorer 7.
minkots thing is moved

well, some tipos are from internet....
also, his speaking is going to change.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:05:46 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 12, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »

good point, bout the beaT THAT IS.

dabm rollable keaboard!1!!
did i do anything while fighting? also, what jobs do i have?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 12, 2012, 04:44:15 pm »

Okay, ya know what? I've tried to rope it in, but I'm gonna lay it out now:

@Aseaheru:

1) Learn how to spell. If your internet connection's shaky and causing letters to be skipped, type it out in Notepad and copy-paste it. If your keyboard's malfunctioning, type carefully and possibly try cleaning it. Don't post a jumble of random characters and expect me to take you seriously.

2) Extraneous exclamation marks make you seem dangerously unhinged.

3) So does random capitalization.

4) So does making random comments without establishing the proper context. I still have no clue why you were talking about pachyderms earlier.

5) Saying things like "okay, so your character brought me into this time!" without any warning is rude. You're hijacking my character's backstory to accomodate your own, even though it may conflict with what I already want to do. If you'd at least have asked first, I'd probaby have said okay, but you still have to ask before grabbing an existing element of the story.

6) There's a little "Modify" button on the top of your posts. Please use that instead of posting twice.

Have a nice day.

(Apologies to Splint for infecting his thread with my OCPD. Bonus points if you can guess which of the above faux pas I myself have already committed in this very thread.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 12, 2012, 04:49:56 pm »

I'm glad I didn't have to be the one to do it.

And I haven't the slightest clue which one of the above you've done. And Sus, nice work.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 12, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »

I'M BAAAACK! I had a dreadful flu bug for about three days and before that I had gotten eaten by a whale and was forced to write poetry for an insane madman with a rather unhealthy fetish for cheese and then thousands of rabid goats from the fiery pits of hell came out of a fissure in the crust of the earth and demanded that I give back their tea sets!

In other words, I stopped checking up on the thread for a few weeks.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 815