Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178303 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #945 on: April 12, 2012, 04:57:49 pm »

You died. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 12, 2012, 04:58:55 pm »

cheese is good.
i am apologetic to you mr. frog.
the keyboard i was using then was one of the odd ones that roll-up so that they take up lass space but still not me cellphone ones.
the elephants are from my deranged mind

on another note; eventually you will be able to read what i post, as i shall only post when using Google chrome like i am now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 12, 2012, 05:05:22 pm »

You died. Sorry to be the bearer oof bad news.
SPELLING ERROR?! MR FROG, REDUCE THE FELON TO CARNAGE! AT ONCE!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:07:27 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 12, 2012, 05:08:06 pm »

Much improved Aseaheru. Still needs work, but still much improved.

And lol Master, just lol.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 12, 2012, 05:10:27 pm »

FULL RECAP FOR THE MASTER:

So basically, you managed to die in a way that is literally impossible, our fortress is being defended by a catwalk covered in sharp things, Spawn hate zombies and like goblins, and one of our cavern layers has gone up in flames. Oh, and we're well on our way to having lost more dwarves due to dwarf-on-dwarf violence and medical malpractice than hostile invasion.

@Aseaheru:

NOT AN EDIT:

You died. Sorry to be the bearer oof bad news.

Am I the only one who sees a disapproving froggy-face? Or am I just projecting?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 12, 2012, 06:04:53 pm »

no, i see it to.

i might rewrite my first entry

here it is! minkot's thing

on another note, did i kill anything, who do i know, and can i have some things made of bauxite? please?
edit 2 below
this world is nice. i took the last save and abandoned the fort, and i found a river without a aquifer!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:31:18 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 13, 2012, 08:29:47 am »

First things first:

The Save!

1st Granite, 205
(the entry appears to have been completed posthumously by an anonymous contributor)

I was 'bout to ask Splint about th' Spawn again, but 'e got this strange glow in 'is eyes an' started babbling about angry ferns or some such. I decided it best not t' bother him while 'e was in that kinda mood, so I stepped outta 'is way an' he went and took over a crafts shop.

I've been workin' on expanding the graveyard further. It's all dug out, an' more coffins are added ev'ry day. I hope to Gods it doesn' fill up as quick, too... Oh, an' I've ordered memorial slabs to be built fer some o' the lost souls whose ghosts are sometimes seen wand'rin about.
Th' work on the spiked walkway is nearly complete. There's still a few spikes that need t' be completed and hook'd up to the lever, but tha's no biggie. I also started addin' spikes at the bottom of the dodgin' shafts, just in case. Th' forges are spewin' out new spikes as well as weapons an' armour as fast (or even faster) as th' smelters can supply 'em.

Pretty soon after Splint got taken over by th' strange spirit, 'e walked outta th' craft shop wit' a toy in 'is hand. He says it's worth some 14400 ¤ an' that he doesn' remember the first thing 'bout making it. "Geniusled the Anger of Ferns", he says its name is. Lookin' pretty fancy, too, tho' I have no idea what anyone woul' do with the thing.

(Entries in Sus' handwriting end here. One final, terse note is added in a different handwriting)

In the late winter of 204, our military sighted a number of corpses rising from their natural rest. Before an investigation could be launched, a massive Spawn ambush sprang out and combat erupted between the undead and Spawn. Overseer Sus was seen stranded outside the fortress, some distance away from the fray. He later tried to enter the fortress through the spiked walkway. Moments later, the outdoors end of the walkway was overrun with zombified body parts and Spawn. Sus was last seen amidst the writhing mass of undead and demonic combatants and is presumed to have died in the ensuing onslaught. We were forced to deploy the spikes soon afterwards to prevent the intruders from entering the fortress.

- The journal ends here. -

[OoC]
So yeah, the biggest heap of ‼Fun‼ fell in my lap at the very end of my year. The necros raised quite a lot of the previous invaders' corpses and got into a truly epic clusterfuck with the Spawn that arrived a moment later.

I closed the main bridge as soon as the Spawn showed up, trying to get anybody still outside indoors via the spikewalk. Turns out my own dorf didn't make it and was stranded outside. I later tried to get him inside, but an animated bodypart from the butchery scared him back onto the spikewalk, where the Spawn were swarming in. He either got torn to shreds or fell from the spikeway, I think.  :'(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

Setting the spikes on repeat got most of the Spawn, and the militias got the rest (that we know of). Two necromancers were also killed by the militia, along with most of the zombie body parts. There may be a third necro lurking somewhere. Also, there's still some animated bits and pieces of slaughtered animals around the depot and entrance. In other words, Loud Whispers has some serious mopping up to do.

Oh, and Human Torch is still loose in the caverns.

Have ‼Fun‼. >:D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:44:13 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:31 am »

I'll put dorf Sus on the casualty list as Missing In Action (I consider all of Spearbreaker's miners to be emergency shock troops/Auxillia) since you said you wren't sure if you got killed yet. If that is indeed the case, would you like to be redorf'd?

EDIT: Oh and to Aseaheru, the world is almost exclusivly aquiferless, save near lakes and oceans. I hate aquifers as they have a bad habit of making stone extraction difficult.

2nd Granite, 205. Interm Entry.
We aren't sure if Sus is still alive or not. I made a note of it in his own journal should any of his relatives or, if he had any, children migrate to the fortress. Why he left it in his room while he went out to either get wood that was left out prior to the attacks or gather some plants I'll never know. I have hopes he's alive out there but none of us have dared to check until we're absolutely positive the undead horde's controllers are gone or all dead.

I also evidently made a very fancy toy. I honestly haven't the slightest idea why I made a toy relating to angry ferns or even that I made it is beyond my power to grasp. I just kinda came to in one of the crafts shops holding the damn thing.... Can ferns even get angry? Bah, I digress. Sus had left a note naming Loud Whispers to be his successor in overseership in case he either died or his term ended while he was out running errands. I'll have to tell him not to assign himself mayorship until after the dwarven caravan and liason leave so we can get specific orders in for booze and additional metals in case it slips his mind, though why the overseers need to consistently be mayor is beyond me.

I've also got a handle on my little phobia, but I still fear for everyone's very souls. Weapons research is going well, though it will be some time before we can ever produce the equipment to mass produce my little flesh rending toy (Mr Frog says he can do it himself, but Spearbreakers' current state leaves him unable to do so, lacking any source of "titanium," whatever that is, or proper diamonds for the machining tools and lightweight steel rending sawteeth.) For now, Mr Frog has stashed the chainsword as we're calling it in a special bin where he keeps that funny glowing tablet. I keep meaning to ask him what makes it do that, since he carries it around everywhere in place of a proper journal, saying it uses magic to hold his spoken word. I have my doubts though, being one to doubt wizards ever existed, and would ike to see how that thing really functions.

The following is an image of a strange glowing tablet in redroot ink. the tablet has a question mark upon it.

[I'll draw it when I get home. Sus, hope you don't mind my hijacking the entry contribution. It looked like the sort of report I'd write on certain messes.]

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 13, 2012, 12:12:28 pm »

Ack, I've gotten majorly distracted with the whole The Twelfth Bay thing. :o :( I've missed four whole pages - and Sus finished when I wasn't looking.

I think I may end up simply dropping The Twelfth Bay anyway... I don't want to lose track of Spearbreakers, and The Twelfth Bay takes up a boatload of time. Give me a bit, let me read through what I missed... Shoot, I didn't even get a chance to make a journal entry. :-\
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 13, 2012, 12:20:45 pm »

So retroactivly make one. And it's a bit of shame, the Twelfth Bay is a pretty good story so far. Oh and evidently I have issues regarding ferns and Ashsaber died again.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 13, 2012, 12:59:07 pm »

Awesome thing about Sus updating so quickly: No circling the drain due to dwindling interest!

Really shitty thing about Sus updating so quickly: No time to write decent journals.

So yeah, the biggest heap of !!FUN!! fell in my lap at the very end of my year.

And now, as per Spearbreakers tradition, the next guy will scramble like a madman to save the fortress from total destruction and more-or-less succeed only to have some new disaster rear its head just in time for the next Overseer to deal with it.

@Splint:

...Does everyone know about dorf!Mr Frog's iPad? <.<;
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 13, 2012, 01:51:36 pm »

anyone die? or get wounded? did i kill anyone?

are obsidian casters weaponised magma?
im thinking F.R.O.G. drops w/ obsidian casting
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:01:48 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 13, 2012, 02:59:16 pm »

Only people who matter. But most just thin it's a funny glowing tablet you won't let anyone touch. Attempts to do so are met with disproportionate retribution.

And yes, Obsidian casters are weaponized magma if used for the express intent of killing. But using them simply for obsidian to make fancy stuff out of is not.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 13, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »

Took a look at the save for kicks and... sweet mother of God.

The next overseer is going to have a helluva time with damage control.
If you need me I'll be as far away from the hospital as I can get.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 13, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »

I looked at it too - lol'd at Simon Tam being mayor... Did anyone else get the name reference?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 815