Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2194288 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #1050 on: April 23, 2012, 08:40:25 am »

Ok people, I am BACK!

.... What the hell is this, I hardly missed a damned thing...

I know, it's like my turn all over again.

[blah blah]

If you'll recall, we actually have a pair of Spawn already locked up in our quarantine cells. Sure, rerouting the demons through the cells would put dorf!Draignean at risk of having his nice pretty office trashed, possibly with him still inside, but I'm sure that's a sacrifice we're all willing to make :3

Hah, I'll fight them to the bitter end!

Or I'll hide under my bed until the bitter end, one of the two.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 23, 2012, 09:18:56 am »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we're too...expectant, on things to fail.

We should have a more carefree/tempting fate attitude toward things.  :D

Mostly just tempting fate

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: April 23, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »

@Talvieno:

Of course. Equipment accidents happen, after all. If we drafted a bunch of useless migrants into the military and then accidentally forgot to forge them proper protective gear, resulting in one or two or ten of them accidentally getting bitten, then, well, we'd just have to make the best of the situation :3

Incidentally, if you replace the floors of the quarantine chambers with retracting bridges and carve an open chamber underneath, we'll be able to safely empty the chambers after use while simultaneously stockpiling a horde of mutant horrors below to redirect our enemies through.

@Ashsaber:

Point taken. The general theme of Spearbreakers so far is really more one of impending catastrophe being turned away at the last moment due to dumb luck/Spawn not wanting to share.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 23, 2012, 04:10:40 pm »

We're expectant on failure because every damn time we got optomistic, something horrible happens (Player deaths, accidents, spawn getting stuck on ledges feaking people out, mass immigrant casualties....)

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 23, 2012, 06:55:19 pm »

I request the forces of Mapleguy555 to be withdrawn for this fortress. Sorry!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 23, 2012, 10:25:24 pm »

If you'll recall, we actually have a pair of Spawn already locked up in our quarantine cells. Sure, rerouting the demons through the cells would put dorf!Draignean at risk of having his nice pretty office trashed, possibly with him still inside, but I'm sure that's a sacrifice we're all willing to make :3
Ahhhhh, but that's only two, and we captured them by quarantining them before they turned. That's hardly an army, if you don't mind me saying so. We need more... Weaponizing demons against more demons sounds completely in line with the Spearbreakers spirit, though, don't you think?
You just gave me a brilliant idea:
1. Come next Spawn invasion, send out a huge unarmored militia with big "Bite Me!" signs around their necks.
2. Quarantine any expendable test subjects unfortunate militiamen that get bitten.
3. ? ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!!!
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 24, 2012, 12:48:07 am »

Ahhhhh, but that's only two, and we captured them by quarantining them before they turned. That's hardly an army, if you don't mind me saying so. We need more... Weaponizing demons against more demons sounds completely in line with the Spearbreakers spirit, though, don't you think?
1. Come next Spawn invasion, send out a huge unarmored militia with big "Bite Me!" signs around their necks.
2. Quarantine any expendable test subjects unfortunate militiamen that get bitten.
3. ? ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!!!
The problem is, Holistic's Spawn have a tendency, to, er... gnaw you limb from limb. Being infected implies survival, which implies a victory, which, in reverse, implies that they actually survive... which would be difficult to guarantee in an unarmored militia...
In arena testing (I helped test them), 150 unarmed/untrained dwarves against 150 unarmed/untrained Spawn = 150 dead dwarves and seven or eight Spawn casualties. Sending an untrained militia against them is not a good idea, except as a last resort...

The Master - you wanted carnage. You're getting it. Try not to destroy Spearbreakers in your quest, though. :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 24, 2012, 01:00:47 am »

3. ? ? ? ?
4. PROFIT!!!
The problem is, Holistic's Spawn have a tendency, to, er... gnaw you limb from limb. Being infected implies survival, which implies a victory, which, in reverse, implies that they actually survive... which would be difficult to guarantee in an unarmored militia...
In arena testing (I helped test them), 150 unarmed/untrained dwarves against 150 unarmed/untrained Spawn = 150 dead dwarves and seven or eight Spawn casualties. Sending an untrained militia against them is not a good idea, except as a last resort...

Easily Fixed.

Step 1. Take unskilled militia
Step 2. Equip in Candy Armor, except for one gauntlet each.
Step 3. Throw entire unskilled militia in a controlled conflict against one of our already contained spawn.
Step 4. Sort out the people who got bitten in the unarmored hand, ditch them from the militia, strip their armor, and assign them to holding cells.
Step 5. Rinse and Repeat as necessary.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 24, 2012, 07:06:24 am »

Hm. I can see how that could be a problem, yes.

Easily Fixed.

Step 2. Equip in Candy Armor, except for one gauntlet each.
Brilliant.
Let the construction of an abomination factory commence!

Really, the only proper end for Spearbreakers would be an apocalyptic dorf/HFS/spawn/zombie free-for-all.
Probably with an epilogue written as Dorf!Mr Frog's final evaluation report.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:12:30 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 24, 2012, 12:36:13 pm »

you could just go the old fashion way of: build a long passage with a drawbridge at the entrance. put a kitten at end of passage way. wait for seige to enter and close gate. Have the entire bottom of this passage way be retractable bridges that dump the spawn into a holding area 1 z level down. Rise and repeate untill you have a vereniable army of spawn. Or: just have the candy breach point come up through this area and drop the spawn seiges ontop of the clowns every seige via kitten lure.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 24, 2012, 01:19:50 pm »

Well, Draignean, I tested out your idea. Here are the results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see, an average of about 27% of the dwarves across the tests lose their unarmored hand, despite being fully armored everywhere else. Less than half of the dwarves (just over a quarter on average) are estimated to be useful afterwards - and always less than if you had simply captured the spawn. On the plus side, the dwarves that do get converted will be wearing almost full adamantine armor when they turn (unless you force them to remove it (if you can))... Which is a mixed blessing - if one of  those got loose in the fortress... Plus, even if they didn't, you're short a whole suit of candy armor.

Honestly, I think simply capturing a spawn siege would be a better idea.

you could just go the old fashion way of: build a long passage with a drawbridge at the entrance. put a kitten at end of passage way. wait for seige to enter and close gate. Have the entire bottom of this passage way be retractable bridges that dump the spawn into a holding area 1 z level down. Rise and repeate untill you have a vereniable army of spawn. Or: just have the candy breach point come up through this area and drop the spawn seiges ontop of the clowns every seige via kitten lure.

And this would be an excellent way to go about doing it! We're going to need another entrance... And more mugs.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:54 pm »

On the plus side, the dwarves that do get converted will be wearing almost full adamantine armor when they turn (unless you force them to remove it (if you can))... Which is a mixed blessing - if one of  those got loose in the fortress... Plus, even if they didn't, you're short a whole suit of candy armor.

Just eject them from the military and order them to strip down, thus allowing you to re-use the armor for the next batch.

Wielding iron pikes (SPEARBREAKERS PIKES):
93% of Dwarves survive(26)
61% of survivors infected
12% of survivors missing their hand
15% of survivors in critical condition(85% okay)
Estimated 13 potential Spawn

I like those odds. A lot.
---

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 24, 2012, 05:01:42 pm »

And looking back I ask myself:

What in Armok's name have I unleashed on this community?

The best plan for battling hell ever. That's what.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: April 24, 2012, 06:06:36 pm »

And looking back I ask myself:

What in Armok's name have I unleashed on this community?

The best plan for battling hell ever. That's what.

Preferably using my capture skematics dear sir. Pitting deamons against deamons in a pit fight ^^ make sure you make the combat pit be ringed by fortifications -and windows behind those- so we can see the fight :) i just hope i get dorfed before someone decides to commence this.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: April 24, 2012, 07:13:04 pm »

The Master's been offline for five days, call it?

Also...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Journal of Mitch, Galena 201

Holy shit.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 815