Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178068 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #1080 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:11 am »

Wait a second... Isn't the trade depot (where the necromancer is) right next to the butcher's shop???

No wonder the necromancer wanted to plant himself there... Bombzero and her corpses. oy...
Welp. Looks like opening the spikewalk for business had some... unintended consequences.  :-[
That's how the necromancers managed to get all the way to the depot undetected. Sneaky bastards, bypassed the F.R.O.G. entirely.
Sounds like the situation got even worse out of control than I'd figured... probably courtesy of the surviving necromancer at the butcher's. Lots and lots of lovely resurrection material there... (Although the previous sieges left a lot of delicious corpses outdoors as well.)

Holy shit.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 27, 2012, 01:40:46 am »

I'd say wall off the spikewalk's current entrance and dig out a new entryway that's past the F.R.O.G..
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 27, 2012, 07:10:13 am »

Year 205, the rule of Mitch
Chapter 2: Day One

"Hello Mitch, it is nice to see you well." called Obok, my close friend, to me.
"SHUT THE FUCK UP OBOK I'M BUSY." I replied.

1st Granite:

Okay, first day. Time to avert a disaster...

A necromancer, a bunch of zombies and a ton of corpses. And where are is our great army?

They're all over the fucking place. Ugh, I really do not want my rule to be born in fire, but I'll have to make the most of it. First thing is first; bring our guys back in. All surface crap is forbidden, and the mass tree/plant designation is overruled. I will not be the one who brought this fortress to its knees on his very first day.

Aha! The necromancer has entered combat with our brave soldiers! It boasts not a weapon, but still has the power to fuck us royally. It has begun to summon the corpses of our fallen on top of our thin bridge of spikes hovering over a pit of spikes.

The necromancer was defeated easily by Fisher and Draignean, truly legends in the field of pikedwarf-ship. No, really, they're legendary. It's marvellous. Also lucky, only one of our guys was pushed off the bridge by a zombie. Now all that remains is 'clean up'. Here's a list of the dead, none of which were my fault of course (casualties of Sus's... sub-standard ability to handle a situation under duress):

-drawing appears to be scratched out, with addendum at the bottom-
TOO MANY TO COUNT, TOO MANY TO DRAW ON ONE PAGE, TOO MANY NOT FOUND. MANY CAN BE SEEN, NOT ALL REPORTED. ASSUME DOZENS.

There's a hole in our above ground bunker, blocked by some stone some idiot ordered not to be touched.

As far as I can see, there's a lot of levers linking to bridges... and no notes telling me where they link. Still day one and I'm about to give birth to a hate-tumor.

There's miasma all throughout the butchers area and trade depot. I've unforbid everything in the trade depot, and ordered the butcher area to be dump-purged. I do not know how much crap to haul out of the depot, and I do not know where or if we have a dumping area.

5th Granite:
There's a tantrumer in our depot area. God help us if we need to rebuild the depot; the amount of hauling to get our crafts out of the way will be staggering, especially considering our zero idlers policy.

I've cancelled all butchering orders. We do not have the capacity to store all the meat, our current butcher's shops are already full of rotten intestines and roasted Spawn tits.

The death-bridge is miasming. Considering I do not know where our air-vent is (though knowing the inefficiently of our previous rules, we don't have one), I'm going to make one.

10th Granite:

Now I've had the opportunity to really settle into my new job, there has to be a plan. What to plan? Well, our army is quite small. About eight squads of four; still not enough. They're also probably under-equipped. Tomorrow, I'll levy a larger militia to train under our best guards, preferably under the axe. Say what you will about pikes; dashing, heroic, dexterous... and they make the finest monster slayers. However, a horde of axes work equally well against the spawn and even better against goblins.

Also, I will forge new sets of armour; preferably out of iron, steel or adamantine. Our current stocks are probably low, and the armour of our champions appear to be of sub-par quality. All the lower quality armour can be used by the recruits when we have a few spare sets.

Additionally, our crossbow squad is poorly managed. As a crossbow-enthusiast, this cannot stand. The crossbow is a weapon that defines the dwarfs! Mechanical, deadly, cruel, able to be used by even the most unskilled peasant and great en masse. Truly, these are traits that define both crossbows and dwarves. I will, when I have the chance, fill our ranks in the crossbow squad and set up archery training. Forge more crossbows, and amass a stockpile of bolts.

Oh yes, tomorrow will be a better day.

OOC: Yeah, short update again. Last update I took my time surveying the fortress, tonight it was late and I spent a lot of time fiddling a lot with stuff. It's the weekend tomorrow so I will probably update again, much larger.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 27, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »

Yep... lol   You've definitely got your work cut out for you... Then again, who doesn't at Spearbreakers? Every reign ends in chaos, with the fortress holding onto the cliff of sanity by a single metaphorical fingernail. This logically causes great pain to the next overseer who has to pull himself up by it.

+1 on the choice of training axelords... They have a slight advantage over pikes, I think - according to the tests I ran, anyway. Pikes are still brutal weapons, though, and they kind of define Spearbreakers... If Draignean and Fischer are actually legendary pikesdwarves, they ought to make epic teachers.

Oh, and crossbows are virtually ineffective against spawn. The spawn killed by crossbowdwarves in my tests only died because of having their ribs bashed through their hearts when they wandered over to the crossbowmen. I saw one spawn with over 90 bolts stuck in it before it died.

Oh, and Sus - thank you for the prestigious award. I am honored. lol

EDIT: Nooooooooo! SolPyre's "Armok - why have you forsaken me" pic has a broken link. :(

EDIT2: DoctorMonch, StormTemplar - you guys still around?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:12:30 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 27, 2012, 03:19:33 pm »

Mine didn't end in disaster, though that was really only because the evil section proved more forgiving than was intended, though that constant burnt-meat smelling barbarian blood rain prooved to be quite a lovely thing to have.

And on weapons: I chose pikes partly cause I like them, and partly because they can de-tooth spawn and peirce thier hearts at the same time (Our vets seem to enjoy using thier pikes as baseball bats as I recall.)

Axedorfs were intended to be more like shock troops: Anything that a pike would be inefficent to deal with, send in soldiers with blunt or edged weapons. As it stands these spawn only die from decapitation, bisection, or heart peircing. I forwent equiping any kind of ranged troops because of this.

Plus, the main army is intended to be armed with the pike anyway. Those guys are the redshirts, if anything keep any others in small numbers to help establish thier elite...ness... compared to the pike-armed peasent levies of ours.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 27, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »

Every reign ends in chaos, with the fortress holding onto the cliff of sanity by a single metaphorical fingernail.

Hey, my fort ended in a triumphant zero-loss battle. Sus got the the fort handed to him on a silver platter, menacing with hundreds of spikes of iron. Mr. Frog handed the fort to me with a contained gobline ambush, hardly a catastrophe. Talvi's turn ended peaceably as well, no hideous battles for the next overseer to inherit.

Seriously, the above quote is more than a little hyperbolic. We've had a pretty tame ride so far, what with the undead, the uncountable mugs, the mutating soldiers, the abominations against Dwarf and Armok, the insane master pikedwarves, the wailing spirits, the insane amount of adamantine, and that little lake out by the front that you can't even tell is a lake anymore because it's filled to the brim with blood, limbs, and teeth.

We should open a day spa or something, or motto could change from "Sacre Merde" to "Come for the mugs, stay for the pathogen lockdown instituted by our martial law based dictatorship.".
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 27, 2012, 04:19:47 pm »

Yeah, I exaggerated a bit, honestly - it's not quite that bad, but we haven't really had any anti-climactic turns. Something exciting always happens towards the end. Except for Splint, he got a tame year, but he's going to get another year soon so that'll be fixed...

My turn ended with the military in shambles (thanks to a huge spawn attack), tons of spawn hanging around outside, waiting to be let in, and a couple of the militia infected. Mr Frog's turn ended with a good-sized goblin attack, if you recall. Your turn ended with a nice spawn battle that would've ended badly, had you not been prepared... And Sus was prepared, and a necromancer still got in after a pretty good-sized battle, and made it all the way to the depot.

The only reason you can possibly say we've had a "tame ride" is because we've turtled when anything bad happened. Because we've been so careful. If we hadn't been, we'd be dead. Seriously, dead. If you'd gone before Mr Frog, for example, you wouldn't have known to look for fevers, and both Ashsaber and Softa would've gone on a rampage and killed half the fort - and then a quarter of the remainder would've gotten infected. If Sus's turn had ended with The Master going instead of Mitchewawa (I doubt The Master, if he stayed in character, would care a thing about damage control), things would be a lot worse off. If you, Draig, hadn't turtled when the spawn/zombie sieges happened, we would've been a bit more than totally screwed. As for me, I almost lost the fortress - and would have, too, had I not just barely managed to close the gates even as the spawn were storming across. We got four spawn inside the fortress even so, and one stuck out on the ledge that you later had to deal with.

We're literally just barely hanging on, just through luck, good fortune and experienced overseers - and even then it's not by much.  :P It would only take one wrong move during a spawn siege to wipe out our entire fortress. We've lost wave after wave of migrants. The fortress has seen 552 deaths total - 79 of which appear to be dead dwarves (can't tell because so many bodies have been resurrected). At 79 dwarven deaths - an average of what, 20 deaths a year, after year 1? - that places us pretty far from a "tame ride", as far as I'm concerned.

And is it sad that it's only just now, reading back through your post, that I finally realize you were being sarcastic and I'm going to look like an idiot for posting this?  ::)

And Splint - the first page has Mitchewawa saying it would've been more exciting had we embarked on in a "more vicious evil biome":
In retrospect you should've embarked on a more... vicious evil biome. Ah well, looking forward to the secret race!
Honestly, I doubt we would've made this far if everything could resurrect. :P Just look forwards to (or fear) your next turn. I'd almost bet Mitchewawa is glad we didn't embark on a more vicious evil biome now...

Oh, and...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 27, 2012, 04:26:55 pm »

Dear god. The only way that pic could be more epic is if all that blood was from fighting and not Armok juicing barbarians.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 27, 2012, 04:30:24 pm »

Dear god. The only way that pic could be more epic is if all that blood was from fighting and not Armok juicing barbarians.

If im correct, its battle blood. The evil-biome is on the other side of the map.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 27, 2012, 04:34:17 pm »

Yep... You can't see them in the pic, but we have two hands, two ears, and six teeth stuck in trees outside - of goblin, spawn, and dwarven origin..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:46:06 pm by Talvieno »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 27, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »

And is it sad that it's only just now, reading back through your post, that I finally realize you were being sarcastic and I'm going to look like an idiot for posting this?   ::)

Nah, you're good. :P

I'm loving this fort so far, I usually play with FD so it's not quite as OH-JESUS-MARY-AND-JOSEPH as it would be otherwise, but this fort certainly keeps you on your toes.

At least until our medical staff gets a hold of your toes, then you have to find a different extremity to be on top of.

If im correct, its battle blood. The evil-biome is on the other side of the map.

Nah, it's a mix. Everything to the right side of that wavy partition between the green and the red is in the blood biome. I'm truly interested to see what it would look without the constant barbarian blood though. If I recall correctly, you could use the look function to find blood spatters that had somehow embedded themselves 60+ft up in the sky.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 27, 2012, 04:54:13 pm »

I've never tried Fortress Defense, maybe I should at some point... I don't know, I like designing my own bizarre, deadly creatures... like manamaids, for instance...

At least until our medical staff gets a hold of your toes, then you have to find a different extremity to be on top of.
Definitely lolworthy.

Nah, it's a mix. Everything to the right side of that wavy partition between the green and the red is in the blood biome. I'm truly interested to see what it would look without the constant barbarian blood though. If I recall correctly, you could use the look function to find blood spatters that had somehow embedded themselves 60+ft up in the sky.
You're right. Plenty of skyblood all over the place, over all the severed limbs and teeth. It's small wonder it rains blood, really.

Hm. :-\ and we only have one cavy in the entire fortress... Talvi will be so unhappy...

MOAR CAVIES! MOAR MUGS!

EDIT: And for Codyorr:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I didn't forget. :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:17:20 pm by Talvieno »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 27, 2012, 05:22:22 pm »

I like how Talvieno's aborted swirly-walls/drop-pit-o'-doom construction has pretty much just become part of the landscape.

"Oh, that 20-metre-deep hole in the ground has always been there. No, the bridge does not work anymore. Now, returning to the topic at hand, to the left you can see our meat-processing facilities, as well as our piles and piles of recently-reslaughtered yak hair."
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 27, 2012, 05:28:37 pm »

We really need to industrialize or processing... processess. I recommend if at all possible a 'cleaning' program to use up, utilize or otherwise dispose of anything necromancers might decide would be great fun to resurrect. hair? SPIN THAT SHIT INTO SUTURES. Bones? Training bolts and cratfs. hides? if there are any left unattended I will end you with a pitchblende hammer. dead sentients? magma. I never said magma couldn't be used as garbage disposal. Just not as an explicit weapon. Though accidents do happen.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 27, 2012, 05:32:18 pm »

We really need to industrialize or processing... processess. I recommend if at all possible a 'cleaning' program to use up, utilize or otherwise dispose of anything necromancers might decide would be great fun to resurrect. hair? SPIN THAT SHIT INTO SUTURES. Bones? Training bolts and cratfs. hides? if there are any left unattended I will end you with a pitchblende hammer. dead sentients? magma. I never said magma couldn't be used as garbage disposal. Just not as an explicit weapon. Though accidents do happen.

*cough*Magmatrashchute*cough*

EDIT: Bloody Armok no to sutures. We are not giving our doctors garrottes.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 815