Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178701 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #1110 on: April 29, 2012, 02:07:57 am »

Mitch, you have the DT and the current fort -- is there any particular reason why not one single dwarf in our entire damn fortress has apparently ever even once bothered to get a wounded soldier a drink?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: April 29, 2012, 02:26:35 am »

80 dwarfs, 30ish are soldiers, no idlers. I think, anyway, maybe we just didn't get any altruistic-personality dwarves.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: April 29, 2012, 03:04:51 am »

Every reign ends in chaos, with the fortress holding onto the cliff of sanity by a single metaphorical fingernail.

Sus got the the fort handed to him on a silver platter, menacing with hundreds of spikes of iron.

Seriously, the above quote is more than a little hyperbolic. We've had a pretty tame ride so far, what with the undead, the uncountable mugs, the mutating soldiers, the abominations against Dwarf and Armok, the insane master pikedwarves, the wailing spirits, the insane amount of adamantine, and that little lake out by the front that you can't even tell is a lake anymore because it's filled to the brim with blood, limbs, and teeth.

We should open a day spa or something, or motto could change from "Sacre Merde" to "Come for the mugs, stay for the pathogen lockdown instituted by our martial law based dictatorship.".
Yeah, most of my turn was actually pretty smooth sailing, too, with just the occasional spawn-augmented goblin ambush. It wasn't until the very end that all ‼Fun‼ hit the fan.

I've tested all of the levers, and clearly marked their uses. Gods bless my foresight.
You know, I considered doing exactly that, but decided against it in the interest of ‼Fun‼. There were, of course, ...other issues... later that caused a lot more complications though. Trying to reclaim the surface turned out to be a major mistake to say the least...

I honestly can't fathom how I could miss the necromancer at the depot. :-[ Apparently, our guys were too busy trying to keep the hordes of zombified hands and whatnot at bay to notice.

Kickass job bringing the fort up to shape so far. The job designations in particular were such a mess that I didn't really get any further into them than quickly slapping generic miner/builder/hauler/craftsman templates on any immigrants.

Wynz has died, and there are others who will shortly follow. Will someone please give them water?!
Well, it's good to know our fine doctors are up to their usual efficiency.
I wonder if removing the hospital entirely wouldn't actually improve survival rates?  ::)

Also,

I've become an undead abomination.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:06:42 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: April 29, 2012, 03:31:25 am »

Agh, this would be a lot easier if that high-master armoursmith was still alive.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 29, 2012, 02:13:48 pm »

I've seen forts with occasional neglect killing wounded. I don't think I've seen a succession fort where the leading cause of death was the medical staff.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: April 29, 2012, 03:27:45 pm »

I've seen forts with occasional neglect killing wounded. I don't think I've seen a succession fort where the leading cause of death was the medical staff.
"Sir, he's got an acute infection in his respiratory tract, what should we do?"
"Ew! I'm not going anywhere near that - you can leave me out of it."

Or perhaps,

"Sir! His left arm is cut! The cut is inflamed! What should we do?"
"Get me my equipment. We're going to need to remove his bladder or he'll die."
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: April 29, 2012, 08:19:54 pm »

I'll be playing when I get home, any one have any requests? Beyond dwarfing Reudh, working on new sets of armor, working on new industry and overhauling the health care system there isn't much I need to fix or do, so I'm open to suggestions.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: April 29, 2012, 08:28:32 pm »

Yes. Spawn Science. Like this, but Spawnier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avYBuijHPBI

EDIT: Also, I thought you were going to unspoilerize the epicness in HFS?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:18:37 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: April 29, 2012, 09:39:47 pm »

Have you checked the main post? I wanna know if there's anyone who doesn't need to be on the dwarfing list and if anything notable has been killed recently.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: April 29, 2012, 09:44:03 pm »

Eh, I'm planning some sort of major construction project on my turn, so please try to get the fort to a place where it can sustain that.
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: April 29, 2012, 09:56:19 pm »

Nominating this for the quotes section. Because seriously.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 30, 2012, 03:46:42 am »

I'll be playing when I get home, any one have any requests? Beyond dwarfing Reudh, working on new sets of armor, working on new industry and overhauling the health care system there isn't much I need to fix or do, so I'm open to suggestions.
Yeah, good luck on that. ::)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 30, 2012, 05:41:18 am »

Yeah, good luck on that. ::)
Hey, it's attitudes like that which cause this to happen  :P

Eh, I'm planning some sort of major construction project on my turn, so please try to get the fort to a place where it can sustain that.
Already on it, if you've been reading. ALL HAIL MITCH'S SOCIAL REFORMS.
Now that I think about it, every time some one said 'make the fort fit for my construction' (Deathgate, Icemachines), they arse it up and wipe out a lot of the fort. Do please be careful  :P

EDIT: Also, I thought you were going to unspoilerize the epicness in HFS?
The more I think about it, the bigger feeling I get that one year isn't enough to prepare, what with fixing the entire place and all.

Year 205, the rule of Mitch
Chapter 5: All Hail Mitch's Social Reforms!

Okay, following Wynz's tragic yet totally avoidable death, and the imminent deaths of a few of our other soldiers, I am issuing a state of emergency. My rule, in a mere two months, has had a significant impact on the fortress. Many are finding jobs beyond simple hauling with my clutter-purge (no longer will we be wasting valuable time hauling crummy copper weapons perpetually), and those jobs are being better preformed with my job-overhaul. The military is a bit better fleshed out, and future enhancements will be adequately equipped (would be better if Sus didn't kill our awesome armour-smith).

Dissenters, heretics, nay-sayers and traditionalists dismiss and protest my 'radical' reforms, citing them as 'ruinous', 'time-wasting', 'over-ambitious' and 'grounded in fantasy'. Detractors must be silenced, lest they become a problem to the Great Plan. And what is the best way to win over naive traditionalists AND the masses? Why, saving our fighting men and women, of course. I will do what they say is impossible; I will overhaul the medical system. A foul, almost non-existent practice that people are calling 'beyond saving'. If this works, they will trust in my Great Plan, yes...

12th Felsite:

Okay, after some searching I have found the 'hospital' (it feels like lying calling it that). It is so un-managed it almost seems like the previous overseers were just trying to jury-rig the perfect killing field. I've made a list of quips to fix:

- We have no dedicated doctors. Those with the skill are often far too busy eating an acre of cocks or something to save the needy. Should four dedicated doctors be enough?
- We seem to lack any altruistic dwarves, the kind that go out of their way to help people. Pure bad luck, or a habit that Spearbreakers breeds?
- Our hospital is a fucking mess. There are cabinets (for what reason?), there's crap everywhere (Wynz hasn't even been carried off), the beds are separated from the surgical tables which are separated from the traction benches. Dying dwarves have to be carried dozens of paces to and from their beds, tables and benches, it is ridiculous.
- There's no water nearby, for whatever reason. Maybe the doctors like walking down 40 floors and drag heavy buckets of silty, contaminated water back to the patients (or not, as is the case).
- There isn't enough of a lot. There is literally zero thread (some previous overseer spun it all into spools of useless, cunt-shitting cloth), there is 5 tables and 7 benches to our 14 beds (it is supposed to be 1:1:1, all of which are one pace away from each other), and there is hardly any crutches or splints.

We simply do not have the man-power to haul all the clothes and trinkets of the deceased out, but an order to re-arrange the hospital will be completed in relatively short order. I had already began working on spare traction benches when I set up all of the work orders, but it had to be cancelled because no one made spare rope. So I'll have to make do with what I have. Commence re-furnishing!

14th Felsite:

Elves have arrived, and with them tons of thread and medical supplies. I'm happy to see elves! I can't believe it!

To counter-balance that spike of ecstatic, here's a drawing of Wari looting Wynz's corpse instead of feeding the patients

Oh, and I've found some particular laziness on the part of whoever made the iron spike traps, that were ever-so-lovingly originally thought up by me.

Half-assed our defence, but oh well.

I guess Simon Tam has to go trade with those pricks, but he's complaining about how he 'can't find those cunting mugs in the trade screen'. I told him to stop bitching.

15th Felsite:

Sweet Armok we're running out of mugs.

I know it doesn't look like it, but that is incredibly low by Spearbreaker standards.

16th Felsite:

A Spawn Master Thief! In our base. Luckily, it happened to find Fischer, our friendly neighbourhood legendary pikedwarf. Luckily, it turns tail and flees... whereupon Fischer runs him down and slashes its spine until all the pieces re-arrange like a damn jigsaw puzzle. Also, there was a war black bear involved; don't ask.

Okay, that was fun. There's probably an ambush waiting for me next turn. Also, according to Therapist my dwarf is 200 years old. Hahaha.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:18 am »

I fiddled around with dwarven life spans. Can live up 275.

I laughed my ass off at the bit about poor Wynz getting looted instead of buried. Give that poor bastard full miltary honors when he eventually gets buried.

And dear god, that hospital is a friggen mess compared to when it was first made. What the hell happened tot eh well? There was one over the cavern water installed as I recall...

Also: Our dwarves are a bunch of selfish pricks.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: April 30, 2012, 07:25:45 am »

I saw that well, and added about 3 others to it. It's just too far down to efficiently hydrate the waves of injured people we often accumulate.

Anyone mind if I DFHack away the bucket-glitch?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 815