Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178174 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs.
« Reply #1170 on: May 06, 2012, 01:44:40 am »

Year 205, the rule of Mitch
Chapter 7: The Machine Turns

So, considering last week's success against the Spawn, we're in a pretty good spot right now. Or we would be, if the Spawn weren't just getting stronger and stronger. We need to make more Fischers and Draigneans; Headshoots wasn't carried on the back of just two champions! My plans to properly outfit our guys in sets of iron, followed by sets of adamantine when we're ready (proper armourers, enough strands) are currently being shot by our dreadful under-population I keep banging on about. Also, we're out of bars. All of them. And ore. So, like the proper under-appreciated ladder-rung I am, I will (again) single-handedly lift our fortress up one more step, this time by procuring these valuable resources.

Strike the earth!

26th Felsite:

To properly accommodate the increase in industry, I will construct additional forges, smelters and (eventually), workers. As it stands, we have six forges (this is a good surprise twist), being supplied by two ore smelters (this is a horrible surprise twist). Naturally, none of them are being used. Additionally, all of the smelters are being set to... ugh, waste their time collecting scrap to melt down. My current plan is my personal favourite method of fixing a problem at it; throwing a lot of cheap labour at it. Six additional smelters, a large levy of furnace operators (now we have 15) and in the future (when there's enough idlers), an ore stockpile.

Oh, and birds fly, sun shines, rain is blood, and Spearbreakers will probably take at least a month to find some free time to make those smelters.
Next on my agenda is crossbow-dwarves.

PS. Woe be he who doth ignore this [MANDATE]; please for the love of Tehsid, do not kill migrants. Please.

5th Hematite:

A few ghosts have been put down with commemorative slabs. It was gruesome; Fischer hit one in the face and now we can't recognise who it was.

*tear drops can bee seen scattered on the leather journal*

14th Hematite:

Okay, I've cut down on, on-average, 5 jobs at a time by cancelling a stone-stockpile and a bar-stockpile. Smelters can go and fetch their ores for the time being, and soon I will look for more hematite near the smelters to alleviate this a bit.

All but one of our dwarves has been released from hospital; this is good news. They're fixed, thanks to my new medicare system.

I've given the architecture job to 40 additional dwarves, to speed up the smelter construciton.

23rd Hematite:

Okay, I've begun digging out our mine of magnetite and hematite. The latter usually comes in veins (bad), whereas the former comes in giant clusters (good). On the other hand, hematite comes in sweet dark red... Whatever, dig it all.

I've also finally finished, and am currently linking up, the remaining repeating spike traps. Oh, and my hospital is finally finished (nearly, a bit of furniture to add yet).

The roads not only cheer up the residents, but they also keep the place clean(er). Also, note the adjacency of tables, traction benches, and beds. Each bed gets both a table and bench, all to itself. The coffins are there for a few reasons; we're filling our current ones too quickly (well, not under my rule anyway), and it'll be convenient for when the next guy takes over and promptly ruins it all.

A mason has entered a mood, and claimed a... mason shop. Masons happen to be useful, and easy to cater to, mood-wise.

10th Malachite:

Spoiler: The artifact (click to show/hide)
So yeah, it's worth a lot. That should get the migrants flowing.

...speaking of which. You know, I seem to recall others having trouble with Spawn ambushing migrants, so I'll keep an eye out for that.

25th Malachite:

Two of the migrants are... quite strange. They appear to be traders, but they won't come inside. I'm safe to assume there aren't any Spawn nearby, so I let down the alert. They still seem content to sell me their counterfeit pig-tail pants from all the way over there, so either they're legally banned from selling their 'goods' within 50 meters of civilisation, they're fucking insane or they're just lazy. Whatever. Added 5 more craftdwarf shops to begin strand extraction too.

3rd Galena:

My, what a productive few months it has been. Most of the surplus furniture has finished, we received about 15 immigrants to curb the under-population, leaving us at 85 so far. I've cut down a lot of hauling, fixed the medical system, set up the basis for weapons and armour development, dug a lot of ore, fixed a lot of unfinished spikes, and am about to create more jobs for strand-extraction. Also on my to-do list is memorialise those who have fallen and had not been recovered, a new military squad (axes) and perhaps... crossbows, if I have time.

The Great Plan is going along quite well; what we're going to do will set history. It will either lead us to great expansion and glory, or great ruin. Given preparation, I think we can make it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:19:18 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 06, 2012, 01:56:35 am »

Headshoots wasn't carried on the back of just two champions!

Right. When the shit hits the fan, we will have an entire legion of corrupted supersoldiers rampaging through the planet.

*tear drops can bee seen scattered on the leather journal*

Pray she doesn't get injured or we're all screwed.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 06, 2012, 02:19:14 am »

crossbows need bolts. Splint no likey making ammo for them. Waste of metal.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 06, 2012, 02:19:27 am »

Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 06, 2012, 02:26:31 am »

Also, I am pleased with your progress Mitch. I'd be willing to give you an extra year, but only if there were a total consenus (you're doing great fixing everything we broke, so I figured the extra time would allow you to fix everything for us. Mitchewawa will save us!) Nah that'd be stupid.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 06, 2012, 02:30:59 am »

While Mitch is doing a superb job fixing the fort up, I would think other people would like their turn. :P

I forgot, am I signed up for a turn?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: May 06, 2012, 02:43:48 am »

yep. Year 12. Plenty of time for the rest of us to wreck Mitch's hard work fixing everything.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 06, 2012, 02:53:39 am »

Mitch - very neatly done. lol   Bravo.   And Lmao at the coffins in the hospital. I'd just love laying in one of those beds with a broken arm (or even a dented foot), looking over there and knowing one of those coffins were waiting for me... lol

crossbows need bolts. Splint no likey making ammo for them. Waste of metal.
Not really. Use wooden ones for training and let them use metal ones for combat. Easily done, and we have a serious surplus of both iron and wood. Plus, if you design the archery range like I did in Entrypages, a good quantity of your spent bolts can be easily reclaimed.

Oh, but they can't kill spawn, only cripple them.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 06, 2012, 02:54:41 am »

Bone bolts work well enough in combat.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 06, 2012, 02:57:06 am »

Bone bolts work well enough in combat.
This is true... If only it was possible to butcher sentients. *sigh* It'd be great to shoot the spawn full of holistic spawn bone bolts... Trouble with bone bolts is that they take a lot of bones to make. Then again, we've got a nice emu industry going... Oh, wait, no we don't. That reminds me.

Mitch, did you get nest boxes set up? After five years we still don't have nest boxes set up for the emus.

EDIT:

very lolworthy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:59:48 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: May 06, 2012, 02:59:31 am »

I've never been a fan of ranged combat. Too slow and while less dangerous, just not as satisfying to watch. Hell even things I make up have a habit of ending in a messy psyche ruining melee fight with bayonets, swords, bricks.... anything really. Just more fun to imagine unless it's a headshot.

@ nestboxes: I thought You set them up on your turn.... And did anyone after me fix the Giant Emus so we could properly deploy them in battle?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: May 06, 2012, 03:03:44 am »

I've never been a fan of ranged combat. Too slow and while less dangerous, just not as satisfying to watch. Hell even things I make up have a habit of ending in a messy psyche ruining melee fight with bayonets, swords, bricks.... anything really. Just more fun to imagine unless it's a headshot.

@ nestboxes: I thought You set them up on your turn.... And did anyone after me fix the Giant Emus so we could properly deploy them in battle?
I never stick to just ranged combat (or just melee), but I find it pretty useful to use bolts to scatter and weaken enemy units before the troops engage in hand-to-hand. Less of a chance of losing your best soldiers to lucky strikes. Like how we lost HARD to a goblin with a copper weapon.

And no... >.> Didn't set them up on my turn... I was kind of preoccupied, you know... With spawn... I wanted to make a minimegaproject but didn't get a chance. lol   The half-finished clover is proof of that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:05:20 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: May 06, 2012, 03:06:12 am »

Speaking of which, was that largly occupied or is the hospital mortuary being made just a convience (and incentive)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: May 06, 2012, 03:13:06 am »

Would editing the ethics raw in a current world screw up the world?

Or would it have no effect?

If it works, then you could write it as canon. Similar to Chance making a golem of a spawn corpse, you could have some hoohah that "The core of the spawn, funnily enough, is inimical to them" and that a Spawn Bone Bolt is more like a core bolt.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 06, 2012, 03:18:50 am »

technically speaking thier core is made of magic obsidian. Which is rock.

And given how these poor dwarves are basically fighting the legions of hell: Surface version, I wish i'd thought to allow them to butcher sentients and make stuff with thier remains (maybe not make them edible, but a means to extract the obsidian heart and thier bones for bolts would be a nice thing....) Afterall, they've freaking earned it and it's only been 6 years!
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 815