Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178316 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1515 on: May 20, 2012, 01:51:33 am »

Huh.

In the earlier posts when there was talk of the chainsword and the early disc-launcher concepts I thought you were cribbing bits from Warhammer 40K.

But I don't think the Eldar Shuriken guns were known for bisecting people.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:52 am »

The chainsword was indeed from 40k, but made as dwarfy as possible (made from smaller serrated disk bits and capable of sawing through damn near anything thanks to the know-how pumped into it.) ALl the other weapopns were kinda spur of the moment, except the disk launcher. We all had the general consesnus of wanting dwarf-portable serrated disk slingers cause they were so devastating, the result becoming the disk launcher/disk gun. Anything smaller than an average dorf can be bisected if it gets hit right. Hunters did it to a badger, an eagle, and a bad shot took the leg off a fairly large white tigerman.

The Mugrifle, Mughammer, and simple mugs are all direct results of the piles of the damned things being weaponized. Then we have other saw based weapons, mostly thoyught of by talvieno: The Saw-Pike, Buzzhammer; chainaxe from 40k; fist saw, by me, and a weapon made of motorized gears, the Grindaxe. You can imagine how that one works.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 20, 2012, 02:20:00 am »

oh god..... now find a way to make a bolter, rename steel armor to power armor and candy armor to tactical dreadnaught and call it 40k Squat Fortress ;-)

on a side note how do you go about modding the game?
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 20, 2012, 02:28:44 am »

creatures and reactions I'm not so good with, but weapons and armor I can do. And I do intende on dwarves having access to "Ballistic Armor" made from steel and adamantine. It's intended to be tougher than adamantine as it uses a layer of candy over steel, with leatheror cloth padding underneath that. The result will be a ludicrously tough set of body armor and helmet (those will be the only two peices of ballistic armor.)

Modding involes alot osf use of what's there, reactions, all manner of tokens and other such things. I can't adequatly describe it sadly. But with the right tokens and such, you can make nanything from a firebreathing chicken to a race of rearless beetle-snake men who use akimbo greataxes.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 20, 2012, 02:37:49 am »

i take it you have done the latter two?
 how do they keep a hold of the axes?

chickens who breathe dragonfire... LOL

i don't think i understand the game mechanics sufficently, how do reactions work? is it just a 1+1=3 thing?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:39:22 am by Paintbrushturkey »
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 20, 2012, 02:43:34 am »

Sort of.... And no I haven't, but I might add a caste to the alines with that of my own volition. Talvieno's basically the reactions guy out of the three of us, while Mr Frog does the majority of the creatures, which i dabble in but lack any skill in (I have no godly idea how to make grave titans grow to proper size, and quite frankly I wish i could set it so adult Grave Titans were a rare encounter.)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 20, 2012, 02:51:10 am »

Year 205, the rule of Mitch
Chapter 11: Strike The Earth!

The events as they happened; 3rd Moonstone

The tunnels and stairs were filled with soldiers, whose marching and whispering echoed throughout. Mitch and Rodge, the latter carrying a pick, trailed behind the steel and adamantine clad warriors. There were many haulers, carrying the bright blue strands to the forgery stockpiles, who had to step out of the way of the legion. The mood of Spearbreakers was down, but the sight of all that adamantine armour at least comforted them, and showed their efforts at least had an effect on the fortress.

All the warriors, totalling twenty nine, were lead into a room filled with dogs, bears and emus. This was used to be the area that lead down into the adamantine spire, but Mitch had changed it. It looked like a battlefield. They did not know why they were here, nor what Mitch was even making down here all along. Still, they trusted him. Everyone did. Many of them were alive because of his great efforts to overhaul the medical system, which had been a death-trap before. Because of his great tactical genius, they had defeated an entire squad of Spawn without taking a single injury, despite less men, few equipment and the fact that Fischer was ambushed alone. Hell, their arms and armour, superior to their old ones of shoddy make, poor material or just plain non-existent were a product of Mitch's good foresight, and they were made in record time due to his smart work-force shift, and his ability to not get migrants killed. Yes, they all trusted Mitch. Perhaps he brought them down here to fight the animals, or some other military exercise?

Mitch stood by the staircase down to the spire, stood on a slab of microcline and cleared his throat to ready a speech.

"Okay guys, I'm sure you are wondering what I've been doing down here. Have you also ever wondered why we do not get enough migrants? It is because this place is a death trap, and for little to no worth. Seriously, our main export is fucking mugs that even we do not drink out of. We live in a place that rains blood. Do you know how disgusting that is, without having lived here for a few years? People coming here are more likely to be ambushed and killed by the Spawn that infest this land then to actually arrive here safely. Our dead outnumber the living by . That is ridiculous! Simply put, we need people to know Spearbreakers. Fame is power is wealth."

One of the soldiers chimed in, "But what are we going to do? No one will see what it is we're doing down here..."

Mitch gathered himself a bit, realising he had been rambling for a bit, "Ah, yes. We're going to take hell. All of it. Kill the demons with only our blades, and our dogs."

Some of the soldiers laughed, but others were unnerved. A different one then before spoke again, "Uhh, how?"

Mitch simply chuckled, and took the pick from Rodge's hands, him being paralysed with horror at what he just heard. "Strike the earth!"

But before Mitch could bring down the pick, he was struck with a better idea. What if, instead of having everyone get killed by demons in melee combat, we simply surround the room with fortifications? And have archers practice on the demons? They could do so behind two sets of fortifcations, to keep them out of range of breath attacks. They'll be safe!

"Don't worry lads! I have a better idea!"

A sigh of relief spread across the room.

"Clear out for now, but we'll be back. And next time, we're going to just use archers. It will be like shooting kobolds in a barrel!"

A few hours after the incident, the soldiers were still trying to recuperate from the shock. Mitch was down in the battle area, setting up safe fortifications. Truly, his plan will be fulfilled, just at a later date. And with less deaths! That was the kind of ruler he tried to be; not brash and glorious, but safe. And there's more glory in fighting hell and winning.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 20, 2012, 02:51:58 am »

OOC: This is actually what actually happened. I was going to try my luck at fighting the demons, but just as my dwarf got into the spire I had a better idea. Sorry to disappoint!  :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 20, 2012, 02:58:27 am »

Using just/largly archers? that's anticlimactic if this is going to go the way i think it is. Hel;l that's not even fun to picture, unless they can take more than a few bolts.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 20, 2012, 03:10:28 am »

Oh, I was just going to use them for target practice. Figured it would be better then potentially losing most or all of the military.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 20, 2012, 03:10:55 am »

also if you get any sort of stone/ metal demon with a ranged attack you are royally fucked .... the ranged attacks of demons are vastly more powerfull than anything even a legendary marksdwarf with *steel bolts* can throw at them....

CHICKEN :-)

but if you really want to be cheap

now ballista with addy speakheads do work quite well, take it from me :-)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:12:32 am by Paintbrushturkey »

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 20, 2012, 03:11:47 am »

double

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 20, 2012, 03:14:47 am »

Still. That ain't the way dwarves do things! Why couldn't your sanity not rear it's possibly ugly head right there?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 20, 2012, 03:27:07 am »

Death by axe: Arm gets chopped off, bleed out in twenty seconds.

Death by crossbow squad: Several hundred small, sharp objects embed themselves in your flesh, each wound slowly leaking just a tiny bit of your blood before the sweet embrace of shock sets in and you fall unconscious before finally dying an hour later.

You tell me which one's more brutal.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 20, 2012, 03:40:37 am »

Depends on you definition of brutal. i personally find blood/ichor spraying everywhere and flying limbs to be brutal in the traditional sense. Plus, it's quick, efficent, and best of all, very very messy and difficult to clean up afterwards.

And just easier for me  to envision. I've never liked ranged combat in DF anyway. Too slow unless it's a headshot and the ammo won't restack.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 815