Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178408 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1800 on: June 04, 2012, 02:38:23 pm »

I will say this: Mitch did a good job fixing things up. It's still a hellhole, but it's a manageable one. Good news: I've been forced to use ASCII. I can do so, but I usually don't. In a fort this complex? Armok help us all.
It is possible to change tilesets, but since this fortress is modded it's not easy since you have to migrate the mods to the new tileset.
You need some basic tileset and modding knowledge to do this right and it could take a long time in a heavily modded game.
How long changing tilesets for Spearbreakers would take depends on what has been modded.

There's two new races, excluding whatever's been added in vanilla. And I lol at Urist's confusion at Fischer. Looks like he's in the boat with us: WTF GENDER ARE YOU COLONEL!?

@ Sus

So, first a simple Inudstrial worker (in this case a miner)
Then a blatent lemming
Now a guy slowly slipping into crazy land because he's been stuck in traction too long. This place seems oh so peachy!

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: June 04, 2012, 02:48:18 pm »

I will say this: Mitch did a good job fixing things up. It's still a hellhole, but it's a manageable one. Good news: I've been forced to use ASCII. I can do so, but I usually don't. In a fort this complex? Armok help us all.
It is possible to change tilesets, but since this fortress is modded it's not easy since you have to migrate the mods to the new tileset.
You need some basic tileset and modding knowledge to do this right and it could take a long time in a heavily modded game.
How long changing tilesets for Spearbreakers would take depends on what has been modded.
There's two new races, excluding whatever's been added in vanilla. And I lol at Urist's confusion at Fischer. Looks like he's in the boat with us: WTF GENDER ARE YOU COLONEL!?
If those races were added with a new file it would not be too hard to change tilesets, the new races will just stay ascii.
You need to update the init files to point to the new tileset and possibly change the color settings file to the one from the new tileset.
Then swap out the unit graphics from the old tileset with the ones from the new tileset.
There might be some small differences between tilesets and Dwarf Fortress versions that require small edits to the files.
You will get errors telling you what needs edited if that is the case.
Any new reactions (the pitchblend hammers) must be added to the new Dwarf Entity file as well.

I have done this before to one of my own fortresses that I modded.
It can be changed between seven different tilesets
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: June 04, 2012, 03:05:47 pm »

Well, honestly, it depends on whether you're using one of the fancy tilesets with graphics or just a variant of the standard ASCII sheet. If it's just a variant of standard, then it's as simple as going to init.txt and changing a couple of filenames.

I won't be finishing the Joseph story. I had no idea where I was going with it and I've been having a constant panic attack over the last few days over how I'm going to finish it. If someone else wants to pick up where I left off, it's fine, but I need to step away from it now for the sake of my mental health.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:07:53 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: June 04, 2012, 03:10:14 pm »

I'm sure when Terrahex rears his own hidden head from ambush he can make something work from that.

Also added a poll to kill time and dictate what the next overseers should do about hell.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: June 04, 2012, 03:29:11 pm »

Hansie seems reasonably competent, too (save for a few nitpicks with the writing mechanics). And it's not like I really had anything in mind, either (kind of rushed into this half-cocked :p), so really it's completely up to whoever decides to take up the reins.

I'd love to say that I might end up picking it up again later, but so far every attempt to do a long-term project on this forum has ended in nervous breakdown typically followed by ragequit :p  It'd probably be best for me to just back off until I figure out some kind of coping mechanism, because 'pretend everything's okay until I'm too catatonic to pretend anything' doesn't seem to be working :p
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: June 04, 2012, 03:32:08 pm »

There's always drawing crap or finding music you find calming. But everyone's differet. That's just what works for me.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: June 04, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »

I'm sure when Terrahex rears his own hidden head from ambush he can make something work from that.

Also added a poll to kill time and dictate what the next overseers should do about hell.

I suppose it wouldn't be hard to kill them all by traps, but we're far from ready to take it out with just our militia. Between our ~30 military dwarves, about 7 are trained.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: June 04, 2012, 07:07:17 pm »

HOTTIP: If my dwarf dies in the possibly-imminent hellsiege, he is retroactively a replica/clone and the REAL Mr Frog is chilling in some secret lab somewhere sipping a tetrodotoxin-laced Chardonnay.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: June 04, 2012, 09:06:17 pm »

6 against 2..... Seems Storm may have his orders soon enough...

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: June 04, 2012, 09:37:18 pm »

If the poll ends as yes I will prepare the fort for a hell invasion, but I don't intend to do it on my turn. We don't have the troops to have a legit chance of success and we should hold off on it until it will be something besides a total slaughter. We want this to be at least entertaining, right now the fight would take five seconds and be an insta loss.
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42:00 pm »

Hrm. Philosophisations are incoming.

Goddamnit, I relaly have to stay more active in here. I AM trying. Promise.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: June 04, 2012, 09:47:24 pm »

Realization pt 3
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So... I'd like to see how this continues. I need to brainstorm a bit for the next update.

Ninja'd: And yeah, I'd rather see a blaze of glory than a whimper of fear.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: June 04, 2012, 10:15:55 pm »

Beautiful man, as always.

Still makes Spearbreakers nice and grim either way :P

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: June 04, 2012, 10:30:49 pm »

They're for sure crazy, sociopathic bastards. But there is a motive to the madness. A purpose. :) To breach hell for the good of dwarven kind. Somehow. It makes sense when you're not quite sane.

As a side note, I like that I could somehow work in that Urist was having a bad acid trip while the whole fortress was trying to show him why their crazy is like that, even if it was somewhat awkward.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: June 04, 2012, 10:34:09 pm »

I think it'll take 3+ years to be ready to conquer hell.
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 815