Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2192395 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1890 on: June 10, 2012, 12:38:41 am »

And then Mr Frog pops in with an antidote that Urist will only receive after he {insert atrocity here}!

...How close am I?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: June 10, 2012, 12:52:06 am »

Somewhat, but not very, at the same time. There is no antidote, the effects will eventually wear off. Eventually being the key word there. But the effects are also going to play a much larger part in the final (two-ish) updates. I just have to make Urist get from the caravan to where I want him to be, whilst maintaining a logical sequence of events (for a dwarf, and for Spearbreakers, so... yeah...) and keeping it from being too contrived.

In summation, let's hope I don't snap and go homicidal at work tomorrow, because I REALLY want to read the ending too, maybe more so than you guys do. I've never actually FINISHED something I started writing, and I'm going to finish this.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: June 10, 2012, 12:53:20 am »

That last statment makes me feel honored.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: June 10, 2012, 01:05:25 am »

I just have to make Urist get from the caravan to where I want him to be

I don't think this is the right approach at all :-\ When I'm writing, at least, I try not to work towards a specific end point, because I inevitably end up 'loading the dice', so to speak :/

Semi-related: I get the feeling that you are either a troper or an ex-troper.

In summation, let's hope I don't snap and go homicidal at work tomorrow

IN A WORLD where I am somehow the most well-adjusted person in a thread...

I've never actually FINISHED something I started writing, and I'm going to finish this.

AW YEAH
GAME FACE, MOTHERFUCKER ]B^C

That last statment makes me feel honored.

Before this whole circus started, I'd never willingly shared anything I did with anyone nor had I ever contributed to any sort of organized group activity.

It's funny how a twisted little RP of a computer game can have such a positive impact on people :/
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: June 10, 2012, 01:07:46 am »

Yup. All it takes is a few little victories to really help someone psychologically...... Now I see why dwarves can get over family dying so easily.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: June 10, 2012, 01:17:07 am »

Hmm, perhaps I shouldn't take that approach to Urist then. He does seem a bit more free willed than I believed he was, I never really intended for him to come to Spearbreakers when I made that first post. It was supposed to be a one-off story.

And if it wasn't for little victories, I wouldn't be here. One day at a time, you only have to win for today.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: June 10, 2012, 01:51:24 am »

One day at a time, you only have to win for today.

Cue cheesy inspirational music! :D :D :D

@Splint:

Mitchie's save on DFFD is listed as being for 31.08, so it might be best to change the version number listed in the title.

Quote from: TouretteDog
Using new saves with old versions makes bad things happen.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: June 10, 2012, 01:57:52 am »

I was under the assumption we weren't updating this succession past .3407.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: June 10, 2012, 01:59:17 am »

Well, it looks the the Internet did what it did best and failed to get the memo :\

FWIW, 34.11 fixed an assload of bugs with the military and others, so it may be for the best in the end.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: June 10, 2012, 02:00:56 am »

I was figuring so we wouldn't have to deal with the sudden weight thier steel armor would tac on as well as suddenly our dwarves lose the ability to haul properly without those godforsaken minecarts and hand carts.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: June 10, 2012, 02:05:43 am »

I don't think the armour's heavy enough to cause a large speed drop. It's still only boulders and really big-ass corpses that take a lot of hauling time.

I find that the ability to restrict shops to take from a single pile more than makes up for stones taking longer to haul, as you now don't constantly have masons running through 2 hallways and 5 flights of stairs to get at a boulder that happened to be directly above their workshop.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: June 10, 2012, 02:09:30 am »

From what I've gathered, steel armor his a horrible peice of gear to have now unless you have extremly high level armor users. Allegedly a guy lost an entire army to crossbow goblins because thier gear weighed them down.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: June 10, 2012, 02:21:04 am »

Allegedly a guy lost an entire army to crossbow goblins because thier gear weighed them down.

You'd be shocked at the excuses people make to avoid admitting that they themselves fucked up.

Just did a quick arena test -- though completely-green troops were reduced to roughly 60% speed in a full suit of iron armour (which is the same density as steel, at least in DF), having Armor User at Skilled (i.e. Level 4 -- not exactly high) boosted it to over 80% speed. Not exactly a huge hit.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: June 10, 2012, 02:24:29 am »

Yeah, but green recruits who might have a little training at best will be horribly slaughtered, no matter what simply because they can't move fast enough and thier shield is somehow worthless since they probably lack any kind of shield skill unless they've been doing shitloads of sparring/dangerrooming.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: June 10, 2012, 02:26:35 am »

So your complaint is that dwarves with no combat skills suck at fighting, basically? :\

EDIT: Maybe this should go to PMs, as it looks like it might get slightly heated.

EDIT II: I think the solution here is to not make fresh recruits fight in full armour.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:29:37 am by Mr Frog »

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 815