Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178710 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1905 on: June 10, 2012, 02:30:44 am »

I read the guy's test results so I'm going to see the same: Unarmored legendary shield user vs armored novice: WHO
WILL
NOT GET SHOT!?

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:43 am »

litaraly???? eh?
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: June 10, 2012, 02:50:51 am »

Well logically copper and silver would be pretty piss poor ammo metals. Anyway, lets say gree guy with novice in armor dodge and shield, with full iron.

vs

a naked legendary shiled user with a wood shield.

Since we need to kill time somehow, might as well report useless expieriment results!

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: June 10, 2012, 11:32:50 am »

i can tell you that result straight up seeing as a legendary shield user will also be a master fighter or thereabouts, the leg shield user will survive, the recruit will prob get killed by the blunt armor bypass bolts have ...., stick him in addy armor now that's another question...
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: June 10, 2012, 11:50:17 am »

Adamantine armor =/= protection from bolts, at least in my experience. Check the DF hack thread. I made an addy mountain, equipped an Adept all around speardwarf with it (three mailshirts, full extremity armor, helmet, shield, robe), and used him as an adventurer. I got ganked by an ambush of one single bowgoblin. I was... Frustrated, to say the least.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: June 10, 2012, 02:44:50 pm »

Yeah it ended..... Badly.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: June 10, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »

I'm somewhat exhausted mentally, but I'm going to update anyway.

And now, without further ado, excepting this ado, I present another excerpt from the Adventures of Urist: Some Dwarf that Did Stuff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: June 10, 2012, 11:01:00 pm »

Loved Urist's summing up of nearly all dwarfdom.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: June 10, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »

Lol, had a bit of trouble with that actually. It worked out though. We'll see how his plan to foil the two converging plans underlying the main plan of the fortress works out. Knowing dwarves, its going to be !!FUN!!.
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: June 10, 2012, 11:06:05 pm »

It fits though. Unless there's a raven or a rat or something in the way, nothing will stop a dwarf from hauling that left sock, not even thier friend exploding on the floor ahead of them.

And I imagine the event will be a clusterfuck of the greatest magnitude.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: June 10, 2012, 11:26:32 pm »

Let's hope so. :)
He's fucking with us.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: June 11, 2012, 04:45:46 am »

Well logically copper and silver would be pretty piss poor ammo metals. Anyway, lets say gree guy with novice in armor dodge and shield, with full iron.

vs

a naked legendary shiled user with a wood shield.

Since we need to kill time somehow, might as well report useless expieriment results!

Tested twice times each, all weapons and armor were iron:
- Both sides legendary sword, armour (changed to skilled, 1/3 of legendary) wins
- Both sides novice sword, shield wins
- Both sides legendary mace, shield wins
- Both sides novice mace, shield wins

I theorize that with legendary sword, both are capable of landing a hit more often then one side is able to dodge/block. However, the one with armor equal quality with the sword had more blows glance off him.
With novice sword, it was basically impossible to get past the block. Block won mosty by attrition.
With legendary mace, armor does not particularly matter. Whoever can get hit less, wins.
With novice mace, same as novice sword.

So there you go. Legendary shield is better then 1/3 legendary everything else, but dodge beats all.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:32 am »

Dodge>Block>Glancing blow?
He's fucking with us.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: June 11, 2012, 03:08:08 pm »

yes, as a shot blocked by armor still counts as blunt, but with massive surface area

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: June 11, 2012, 05:51:29 pm »

Had nothing better to do, so I figured I'd add a new bit to the barbarians, with ideas on how to flesh them out contributed by Hanslanda.
-------------------------------------------

As you walk away from the now quiet and more literally dead tower, several books and fine trinkets in your pack along with the steel slab you'd been sent to retrieve, you take a drink from that lovely platinum flask you took of the dwarven necromancer. Your thoughts drift along idley until the next day, where you see a great mountain range in the distance.

The air reeks of death, and bones line the land. You shrug it off, hiding from the grimelings and harpies as you climb the first mountain to find an alcove to sleep in for the night. Then you see it. As you reach the mouth of a cave, you see a silver slab. While your skill with barbarian is shakey at best, you can make out "Abandon all hope, ye fools who enter here." Below is a crude carving of a dwarven skull with crossed flails. You ignor it and make camp in the cave, and crack open the Barbarian book at a random page to kill time until you fall asleep.

-----------
... It seems war has become a test of adulthood among the barbarians. Specifically, the "Trial of the Maw." It seems they have fought the Spawn fo Holistic for so long that these demons are ingrained into the culture of these corrupted humans. The trial consists of a warband captain leading a group of green warriors, regardless if they be male or female, to fight a group of Spawn. According to the clan historian I spoke to, casualties always run high in the Trail of The Maw, with 45% of a warband being killed or otherwise incapacitated/crippled on average. All those who come back alive must bring a trophy, wether it be an eye, an ear, finger or tooth, as proof they stood against the beasts. Those who cannot continue to be warriors due to injury fill the other roles of the clan. I've seen those individuals. She was a barbarian girl who was notably more human looking, though her skin was still a sickly ash color compared to the usual dark grey or black these people exhibit, had lost use of both legs in her trial due to motor nerve damage, but was among the better metalworkers in her settlement.

However even she' like all others in the settlement, had at least one trophy. Trohpies taken in battle are considered thier most trreasured possessions, and while they share other things relativly freely with thier own, to take thier war trophies is to incur the wrath of the whole settlement, even the warband marshal, who is the chief noble of these villages. The most commonly taken trophy is the tooth of an enemy, thought others may opt to take ears or fingers, the latter being second most common.

[Following is an image of a finger necklace, and an amulet composed of a tooth set in fired clay. I intend to draw this and edit it in later.]

The following appears to be of thier various gods and festivals, so you continue reading well into the night until you fall asleep at last.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 815