Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178256 times)

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1935 on: June 12, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure there are a fair number of free dwarfs and in preparation for the coming battles the military should be growing soon. I hope to recapture the surface by the summer migration. The rest of the year will be dedicated to the preparations for the hell invasion. I plan to create a passage for the demons to fight through with many sealable points so that if the defenses fail, the attack can be stopped.
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: June 12, 2012, 06:34:49 pm »

Since it's pretty unanimous... sorta anyway, time for me to make my tactical recommendations and reveal our enemy. Shadow Devils, shelled humanoids that may or maynot be capable of flight. They're composed of charcoal/ash and while pitifully easy to kill if a hit lands, they're strong enough that no amount of protection will be sufficent to prevent death, save nonconfrontation or crossbows.

Recommendations: Statining of melee troops in an easily defended position, while all the animals remain in the main breach to distract them while marksdwarves thin them out. Aussie's dwarf killed two with upper body shots  and removed limbs like crazy with crossbowfire. And fischer killed one by biting its head in half (litarally. It said half of the tissue is torn away and remains in The Fischer King's grip!)

Sadly, as much as I want to use just the melee troops, sheer numbers will be too much, but forcing the demons into a much smaller space (thus giving them less manuvering space) and letting rangers have at them while melee dwarves remain to run clean up and invade hell proper Should work, thoughwe'll need drawbridges to make sure the little bastards stay where they're supposed to. Marksdwarves will also need a means to get out of thier firing stations to refit before coming back to continue the shooting. Kind of disappointing really, but ThatAussieGuy may end up the leader of the main fighting arm against hell's initial assault, since he seems to be the only rangerdorf with any skill in our army.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: June 12, 2012, 07:30:26 pm »

Hey guys, my computer busted a few days ago and I haven't been able to get to a different computer until now.

Since it's pretty unanimous... sorta anyway, time for me to make my tactical recommendations and reveal our enemy. Shadow Devils, shelled humanoids that may or maynot be capable of flight. They're composed of charcoal/ash and while pitifully easy to kill if a hit lands, they're strong enough that no amount of protection will be sufficent to prevent death, save nonconfrontation or crossbows.

Recommendations: Statining of melee troops in an easily defended position, while all the animals remain in the main breach to distract them while marksdwarves thin them out. Aussie's dwarf killed two with upper body shots  and removed limbs like crazy with crossbowfire. And fischer killed one by biting its head in half (litarally. It said half of the tissue is torn away and remains in The Fischer King's grip!)

Sadly, as much as I want to use just the melee troops, sheer numbers will be too much, but forcing the demons into a much smaller space (thus giving them less manuvering space) and letting rangers have at them while melee dwarves remain to run clean up and invade hell proper Should work, thoughwe'll need drawbridges to make sure the little bastards stay where they're supposed to. Marksdwarves will also need a means to get out of thier firing stations to refit before coming back to continue the shooting. Kind of disappointing really, but ThatAussieGuy may end up the leader of the main fighting arm against hell's initial assault, since he seems to be the only rangerdorf with any skill in our army.

If we're going on the premise on 'who gets a hit first, wins', then the demons will kill us all. They're faster, and there are probably more of them then us. I think, because we have a lot of bolts, we just pincushion the assholes.

Love the story Hans!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: June 12, 2012, 07:35:31 pm »

Well I did the direct appraoch and it was litarally sheer numbers that got us. And aussie hit those demons once a apiece and the bolts bisected them. And since he's the only one with any skill I saw, I'm assuming he'll be in command of operation pincushion demonic assholes.

When it comes to a one on one the demons don't have a chance against an expierienced dwarf. Fischer and Dragnean killed 10 each and removed limbs from a dozen or so others before they got killed by punches to the head.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:50 pm »

Hmm, when I released hell, the whole military got ganked quite quickly, but I'm not a soldierdorf. More of a mechanic, so I kinda expected it.

In other news, thank you all for the compliments. :) I believe that this is the final update in the Urist saga, and as such, I will be making it extra long if possible. Before I post the final update, I'm going to put up the second half of the excerpt. Ladies and Gentledwarves, enjoy. :)

Chapter Ten: Fungal Agents, from On Complex Anti-Hypnotics and Anti-Amnesiacs, by Grendal Vasiliy

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, we can move on to the final confrontation of Urist and the Mystery Dwarf.

Requiem
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There will be an epilogue tomorrow sometime. :) Wrap up the end of the Urist story a bit better, cast doubt on the whole 'happy ending', you know, good old Dwarf Fortress stuff.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:42:00 am by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: June 12, 2012, 11:22:44 pm »

Jesus. That's.... I mean seriously.... Holy shit.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:02 pm »

I'm hoping that's good... :P But if not, I am proud I finished, and I'm very glad I could contribute to the thread. Thank everyone who has read for reading, and I truly hope you enjoyed the Saga of Urist Okablokum, Spearbreaker. :D I did.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: June 12, 2012, 11:40:47 pm »

Good. Very good.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: June 12, 2012, 11:46:03 pm »

Thank you, Splint, you're a very supportive person. :) And I didn't plan on the final couple paragraphs, but they just kinda came out... I'm glad.
Now all we need is that update from Stormtemplar. *Nudge. NUDGE.* I wrote a whole short story in the time between Mitch's last update, and Storm's first... :)
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:07 pm »

At least we has updates in the next day or two.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:14 am »

@Hansie:

Anways, good job on finishing the story.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: June 13, 2012, 12:37:47 am »

Hmm, that's a good point. Reader needs to know wasn't really the reason, it was more that he was just a bit of a crazy bastard and wanted someone to know what he was planning to satisfy his ego. Also, what good villain plotting to destroy the world wouldn't rant at someone they believe they have controlled?
But it is a very good point, and the rant does somewhat break immersion, so I'ma change his rant to be less informative. Thanks for pointing that out, I'd rather have a good story than a full explanation now that you mention it.
Also, about the whole hypnosis thing, hypnosis doesn't work this way, I know, but I'm going with artistic license on this one. :)

Edit: It'll require more editing I think, its still not quite right, but now the rant is somewhat more realistic I believe.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:44:20 am by Hanslanda »
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: June 13, 2012, 01:15:50 am »

I figured the rant was just an ego trip....

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: June 13, 2012, 02:24:05 am »

It didn't really come off as an ego trip to me... And I don't like it when 'well, he's crazy' becomes a catchall excuse for any sort of bizarre behaviour. There are specific kinds of crazy, and it's best to pick a flavour and stick with it.

(Feels a bit sleazy talking about it after Hansie's already more-or-less fixed it :/)

I think there's still sort of a problem in that Mr. Crazy still kind of drops a blatant hint as to what happened, and simply doesn't explain it further. It's not as bad as 'okay, now that you're at my mercy, I will explain to you exactly how and why I put you in this situation while your creepy friend rushes in to help', but it's still pretty strange for him to bring it up, even more so now that he just drops it without going anywhere with it.

But now I'm just nitpicking, and I'm too tired to really analyze anything properly right now.

EDIT: I think I've got it now... If it's intended as an ego trip, then I think the general gist of his comment should be less 'btw, I did something to you but I'm not telling what' and more 'lolololol u walked right into my trap I'm the bestest villain EVAR JUST AS PLANNED!!!!!'. For him, it's not what he did that's of interest to him, it's that him doing it now makes him the BESTEST VILLAIN EVAR, at least in his own mind. He'd probably drop at least a few hints while raving about it, but it's not really what he cares about.

EDIT II: Should probably disregard that entire last edit, honestly. Need sleep badly :'(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:50:03 am by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: June 13, 2012, 03:40:26 am »

We all go on wierd tangents when we need sleep. No big deal. On an unrelated note, a kid just made the weirdest whip ever. It's made of sheep bone. How the hell does that work?
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 815