Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178219 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #1950 on: June 13, 2012, 05:04:29 am »

Screw physics, he's a dwarf!

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: June 13, 2012, 05:06:09 am »

Starting up now, wish me luck. Also, Hans, no time to go in depth and look around for things I think you could improve, I've got DF to play, but overall, that was totally awesome!
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: June 13, 2012, 05:07:35 am »

Good luck man! Let me know when to update the dorfing list.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: June 13, 2012, 09:52:08 am »

Okay, I edited the rant a bit further, hopefully it is at a better point now. I don't mind more feedback if you have any other issues, now that you're better rested, Mr Frog, and that goes for anyone else. I much prefer honesty and constructive criticism over the alternatives. :D Besides, there is an editing process for a reason, and I completely skipped most of it for nearly all my writing, I expect some mistakes. 

Yay, Storm's playing today. :) I've never been so excited for someone else to play DF.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:20 am »

I thought humans were better than this, but it seems they're a little too aggressive. Even a dwarf soldier would hesitate to dive in forehead deep water, but two human archers in my emply just killed themselves by diving into a cavern pond to beat pond grabbers to death with thier bows. In hindsight, shoulda issued them daggers since we have a pile of the damned things in everything but adamantine.

Anyway (just had to vent about that sorry,) I'm not one to really be a critic. At best I can direct and build a set, not write a good story. At least not very competantly. Mr Frog is much better suited to such a role. Hell I'd say he should make a career out of being critical.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: June 13, 2012, 10:10:15 am »

He does it right. Instead of just tearing down, he points out problems. He isn't trying to tell me not to write, he's trying to make me write more effectively.

And I wanted to say 'write better' right there... :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: June 13, 2012, 10:20:50 am »

The fact he tries to help (with what may or may not be a facade of bitchwhipping you with what went wrong like a bastard,) is why I said he should make a career out of it. Actually trying to help instead of sending a writer to a suicide chamber is good.

And I found out something worse. One of the archer who commited suicide by pondgrabber charge left a widow. And my population takes another hit. Yay. I really should deactivate everyone so they'll get busy to recover those losses...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: June 13, 2012, 10:21:54 am »

Hehe, bitchwhipping. That is going in my personal dictionary.
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: June 13, 2012, 10:27:10 am »

I got that from an old gears of war machinima. the conversation went something like thise

Main human: Control, requestion permission to engage local hammer of dawn sattilite to kill this sone of a bitch!

Control: From what I understand, it's one drone. WHy the hell do you need to death ray him? He bitchwhip your ass or something?

MH:... Th-That's not important. Can I fry him or not?

Back to humans. i just realized... I have crops rotting in the fields I have so much food. I have had to activly order my food workers to stand down and stop making food. I've never run a dwarven for this successfully! ALthough I need to find the culprit who kept fishing when I told everyone else to stop....

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: June 13, 2012, 01:14:04 pm »

Sorely tempted to change my personal text to 'Grandmaster Bitchwhipper'.

I'm not really trying to bitchwhip anyone, though... I tend to focus on negative aspects of things, so my comments on other peoples' works inevitably turn into ruthless hatchet jobs as I pounce on everything I don't like about it while glossing over things I do like. It's also important to point out what went right, and I fail miserably at that.

I should point out that I'm not an expert -- just a judgemental amateur -- and that my advice absolutely should not be taken as the absolute gospel.

I think what I was trying to get at with my last comment was that (at least beforehand; I haven't read the revised version yet) it still came off like he was just talking about what he did, which also makes it kind of strange that he just dropped it without explaining further. Something motivated him to bring it up, and I felt that he didn't really satisfy that motivation; if his motivation was to explain, then he didn't, and if it was to ego-stroke, then that's what he should have been mainly talking about, with his plot being an accessory rather than the main subject. I'm not sure if it was such a big problem now, though. I was pretty delirious when I wrote that, and characterization and dialogue are a lot more complex than they look at 2am.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: June 13, 2012, 09:39:21 pm »

League of Legends is a time sucking cluster**** so I only really have the first little bit, but here it is

206th  Dwarven year
7th Year of Spearbreakers existence
Stormtemplar's Rule
1st of Granite
   Mitch came through with all the records today, said he's resigning as overseer. I'm to take over, effective immediately. As such, I am to be provided with all information regarding the place, even the things not told to normal dwarves . I now have all the available knowledge regarding the state of the fort, and I believe there's a technical term for this: A damned mess.
   Mitch's reforms helped, but the fortress is sealed in and with only 88 dwarves , we've got very little we can do. The undead army outside is not led by a necromancer, but we're badly outnumbered. I must gather as many troops as I can and attempt to storm the outside. We must hope that the situation outside does not worsen or I may not be able to retake the surface.
   The fortress's layout is more complex and impossible to navigate than anyone but the overseers knew. The deeps are a confusing mess of redundant staircases and general insanity. If a bunch of rabid, insane beavers built a giant dam, it would make more sense than this.
I wonder who did all this.
The undead are frolicking in the huge amount of blood, probably pretending it's dwarves instead of the barbarians in the heavenly juicer.
Overall however, everyone seems happy, which makes no sense to me. There is almost no other fort this hellish and deprav-OH LOOK AT THAT AMAZING CHAIR.

15th Granite
I gave orders for many slabs to be made, and now I'm drafting everyone I can find into a military. Also, I'm improving the barracks, putting in beds, supplying everyone with backpacks and wineskins, the works, hopefully this will improve training uptime, especially with the swarm of incoming new recruits.
Someone apparently paved over the barracks, meaning I can't place beds. I've ordered the roads removed. Is it normal that every time I remove something I worry it's there for a very specific reason and removing it will cause certain doom?

Ah no, it was actually just a smiley face. It's in the way. Removing it. I'm going through the records to find people that would do well in the draft and preparing the barracks for the flood of recruits.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:51:31 pm by stormtemplar »

I'll take twenty!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:02 pm »

If a bunch of rabid, insane beavers built a giant dam, it would make more sense than this.

I nominate this for the quotes section.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: June 13, 2012, 09:50:51 pm »

Yeah, I was particularly proud of that one.

I'll take twenty!

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: June 13, 2012, 09:52:19 pm »

k, im joining/watching.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: June 13, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »

Late night bump. No epilogue today, too tired.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 815