Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178189 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #2055 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »

Oh jeeze. Birds. Mr Frog! Talvi's putting emu hatchlings in your stuff!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: June 22, 2012, 01:03:17 pm »

Mr Frog: "NOOO! BABY EMUS! MY ONE WEAKNESS! whosawiddlebirdie"

I'm not sure if I like the explanation for Talvi's immunity, but it's a bit too late for any argument on my part to mean anything :-\

If Frog manages to poison Talvi with something, she's pretty much screwed. It doesn't even have to be from a weapon; he could fill his room with vapours that he's taken an antidote to. Hell, since it's implied repeatedly that Frog isn't the same species as Talvi, he might even be able to synthesize something that has ruinous effects on Talvi's physiology while leaving him more-or-less unharmed.

I think it basically boils down to how much warning Mr Frog has. He's devious and smart and can probably rig up any given conflict to be in his favour given enough prep time, but if he's taken by surprise, he loses that advantage. He has a height advantage, but Talvi sounds heavier (and is probably stronger, considering that dwarfesses are statistically-identical to male dwarves) and Frog's not very strong nor agile.

He might have something on hand to sharpen his reflexes and/or reaction times, probably with some temporary side effects (dry mouth, for example).

I'd say that the best way to resolve this would be to defuse the conflict before it gets violent, but I'm not sure how viable an option that is.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 22, 2012, 01:47:23 pm »

-The following is an old ropereed parchment document. It is torn around the edges, and one corner shows it was used as a coaster for a mug.

To: Field Marshall Tholtig Lallokum

Subject: Recon report by 88th Pike Company and enemy strength estimation.

Field Marshall Southspear, two of my better soldiers have arrived with thier estimation on enemy strength and location. Based on thier obseravtion, my best anylysts estimate the enemy has roughly 10,000 melee equipped troops and another 5,000 with various ranged weaponry. Also estimated that there will be around 2-3,000 fighting animals of both surface and cavern origins. They also say that to ensure victory the coalition will need to muster two to three times that plus fighting animals and another of thier own number held in reserve. Recommend inducting the Kingdom of Symmetries and the goblins of the west islands into the coalition to shore up supply and numbers of available soldiers. If the goblins already in the Coaliton have gone this far by our side, then the ones of the islands will see this war as benificial to them as well. And if we send the greenskins first as always, fewer of our own will need to die. Imust admit I find it odd that they're always willing to be the first in...

The enemy force appears to be preparing for battle near the savage mountains of the Flawless teeth and if The Master and Draignean's observations can be trusted, it seems the local giant fowl don't take kindly to undead visitors. They suspect they are going to attempt a direct confrontation in three weeks at a location marked on the map as "The Smooth Points of Pride," another mountain range and sight of an old abandoned mountainhome.

The 88th is already moving at the time this message was sent to the Smooth Points to begin preparing the field to our advantage. We will arrive two and half weeks ahead of the vampires and have already given word to the 23rd Ranger Company to move in as well. We look forward to seeing you here Field Marshall, May the gods protect you.

General Irolnil

[Yeah I don't know. I was bored and since I've chosen for narrative purposes to ignor the worldgen history for the most part, I figured I'd go the extra miles. Thier names are translated as Southspear and Northhammer]

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: June 22, 2012, 02:27:51 pm »

Oh jeeze. Birds. Mr Frog! Talvi's putting emu hatchlings in your stuff!
Lmao, Splint. :P "Come 'round with the birds" is a very rare southern expression (I've only heard it twice) which basically means "show up at sunrise". lol   When the birds start making racket. As someone who lives (albeit unintentionally) in the heartland of redneck territory, I hear the southern drawl constantly. Fortunately, I grew up elsewhere, so you won't hear any "ain't"'s from me.

I'll make it a bit clearer in the post...

edit: This is what I get for not refreshing the page. I have missed two posts.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 02:30:22 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: June 22, 2012, 02:35:22 pm »

What's your definition of the redneck heartland? Cause I'm pretty fairly oriented with the literal heart of the southeast....

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: June 22, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »

Mr Frog - "whosawiddlebirdie" is undoubtedly the funniest thing I've read all day, as I tried to imagine dwarf Mr Frog saying that, and that didn't go so well... lol

If dwarf Mr Frog has any sort of warning that Talvi hasn't had a total mindwipe, he'll be prepared. And no, I don't like how the immunity (not quite immune, it messed up her brain even more) thing works either, but all the same, if her mind gets wiped she's more or less taken out of the Spearbreakers story.  :-\ There wasn't much I could do. :P You did a bit of god modding while I was away, knocking Talvi out and drugging her - though, frankly, even had I been here the same would've happened. She thought she was a cavy. She would've run and hid under the bed and waited for Mr Frog to come drag her out.

What's really been bugging me is that I feel it's kind of against unspoken rules for me to be roleplaying two characters at once. Especially as I'm currently planning on giving the unnamed character a role a bit past the silent narrator. Essentially she's not too much more than an extension of Talvi, since her journal won't really go anywhere where Talvi isn't around, but all the same... Like I said, it's bugging me.
Seriously, is what I'm doing "against the rules"?

Anyway, I figured Mr Frog is basically an "I-can-rig-anything-up-in-less-than-ten-minutes-because-I-know-everything" mad scientist. Then again, he's focusing mainly on Talvi and probably doesn't expect our controversial (at least to me) narrator to be hanging around, right?

Splint - "redneck heartland" as in a couple hours from Atlanta, Georgia, where the first Redneck Olympics were held. I grew up in Memphis, though. Few people have southern-drawl accents there. What's your definition of "pretty fairly oriented"?
Oh, and I should probably add - if the numbers in that recon report you put up are anywhere near accurate... I think we've gone past "screwed" into "oh god we're all going to die messily".
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:55:32 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: June 22, 2012, 03:05:05 pm »

I'd say as far as geography is concerned between east tenessee and the carolinas is a better level. But then your suprisingly closeby. A six hour drive if I were to stalk you just because I could. But then I've never heard the expression here in Knoxville, but then the majority of people in the city weren't born here anymore. Hell I'm from New Hampshire originally. Place was cold as fuck.

Although Memphis or Nashville would probably be better guesses since it seems the heart and soul of country music is in largly those cities.

And I don't see anything wrong with it. If I were a better story teller I'd  have already been doing the same.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 22, 2012, 03:33:27 pm »

It's not just rare, it's an old expression, too. The two times I heard it were from people over 70 who'd lived here all their lives. And I'm just south of the Appalachians, so not too far out. Northwest Georgia, near a tiny town called Dalton. You're actually only a couple hours away. lol   Pretty neat.

Memphis is actually a lot more about rock than country, probably due to Elvis. There's blues, too, but not too many people seem to listen to that anymore. I think if you could sum up Memphis in three words, it would be, "Rock, Barbecue, Politicians". I have yet to see anywhere else where the politicians are so consistently and thoroughly crooked.

Also, I'm very glad I haven't screwed anything up too badly. :P That's a load off my mind.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: June 22, 2012, 03:42:21 pm »

Mr Frog is the only one around allowed to worry about the stuff he posts. We don't need two hims running around, as funny as that'd be.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 22, 2012, 04:32:30 pm »

And so MORE Journey logs yayyyy.... :P

After bukit left Syrupleaf he wandered the lands After that fortress was "preserved" by Armok. so much pig iron. as he kept walking he found all manner of mugs in the nearby lands, Holy shit. It was like mugtopia Big mugs, little mugs, mugs That menaced with spikes, Mugs that were half full with ale, Mugs that had ogres killing elves on them, and a great treasure. A discarded barrel of sunshine, its been months sense he had sunshine. He and his migrants drank To there hearts content , As they kept journeying they found a plain of blood... blood covered everything, it was hideous.He looked at the blood, not dwarven, not dwarven at all, slightly relieving but slightly disturbing too...

Btw my icon is a lamp, Its my INSIGNIA.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 22, 2012, 07:45:21 pm »

So I guess I've become the team OCPD case. I am okay with this.

Mr Frog used cavies because they're the best test subjects he had on hand that couldn't scream for help. (Hint: they're also called guinea pigs).

He only really got to Talvi the first time by abusing her trust.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 22, 2012, 08:38:56 pm »

Mr Frog is the only one around allowed to worry about the stuff he posts. We don't need two hims running around, as funny as that'd be.
Yes, that'd be hilarious... Given how much he likes to take charge of things (so that we lesser mortals don't screw everything up (jk, but lol)), I imagine both Mr Frogs wouldn't get along too well, each trying to take charge at the same time, and preferring their own methods (which would actually be the same, but I doubt that would matter much).

But apart from that, I'm going to let that last entry from V sit there for a while, and then I'll post the next one. (only afterwards was I reminded of the fact that "V" was also the name of a character from a comic book (thanks, Mr Frog), but fortunately, I've always been planning on filling out the rest of her name later.)

Bukitodinos - hopefully you'll be dwarfed soon. :P Sounds like Bukit's journey is finally nearing its end.

Mr Frog - maybe this time it's the other way around? Talvi gets to Mr Frog because he trusts that his amnesia-inducing drug worked? lol

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: June 22, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »

Bukitodinos - hopefully you'll be dwarfed soon. :P Sounds like Bukit's journey is finally nearing its end.

No he just entered the terrifying biome, the mugs are just popping up because of spearbreckers HUGE mug inventory.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: June 22, 2012, 09:12:30 pm »

I think that whether someone would get along with a duplicate of themselves is largely a function of their self-esteem. In my case, I expect nothing would get done, because we'd be constantly second-guessing each other and the concerns one voiced would likely be exactly what the other was worrying about.

Likewise, since we'd both think the same way, have the same preferences, and have near-identical perspectives on everything, I'd imagine the conversation wouldn't exactly be intellectually-stimulating.

That was a terrible excuse for a fanfic. Your characters are archetypal caricatures with no defining features of their own and the plot seems cobbled together from a sequence of afternoon daylight fantasies. Furthermore, your spelling isn't and it looks like you punctuated this thing with a shotgun.

Anyways, I really liked the gag with the three pigs and a rubber goathook towards the middle of Chapter Three. You have an excellent feel for satire. Keep it up!
Quote from: Other Mr Frog
^What he said

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 22, 2012, 09:42:39 pm »

Today was a very long day.
Loving the updates, Talvieno, Bukitodinos. I'm going to lurk tonight.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 815