Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2193468 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (.34.07)
« Reply #2115 on: June 24, 2012, 09:28:11 pm »

Hello Talvieno. :) Glad you posted, I was going to get all 'rawr'. :P
Excited for the update.
Dwarves seem so Scottish/Irish.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: June 24, 2012, 09:34:30 pm »

Lol, I was kind of "rawr" too, surprised nobody had posted today. Stormtemplar - hurry up with those updates on your year! :)

And yes, they do seem very Scottish/Irish... I'd always thought so. I did a survey of it somewhere - can't remember where, though. Most people agree with that.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: June 24, 2012, 09:36:17 pm »

Scots-Irish and a little bit German. They're a very interesting race.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: June 24, 2012, 10:26:47 pm »

Yeah, that was it. People thought it was partially Russian, too, which I found interesting. Basically, everyone imagines them talking differently.

I'd like to polish it up a bit more - I don't feel it's as good as it could be. But here it is.

From the Journal of V

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: June 24, 2012, 11:41:27 pm »

Holy shit.  :o

That was awesome, Talvieno. Just awesome.
He's fucking with us.

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: June 25, 2012, 12:02:55 am »

Alright, so the main plan for right now is a garbage chute. I'll get on that. Post or PM me any other ideas and I'll try them
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:45 am »

Zombie pit for captured creatures to be pitted into?
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: June 25, 2012, 02:41:34 am »

Possible story update soon. I don't think Mr Frog will be judging my previous entry in the near future.

I apologize. Somewhere between rekindling my love for the SCP Foundation (I am now writing fan SCPs. I'm such a hopeless nerd :p), studying for a Physics exam, juggling two sci-fi stories (one of which *ahem* tends to result in catastrophic nervous breakdown whenever I try to get back into it), and being sleep-deprived to the point of audiovisual hallucination (PROTIP: When you constantly hear DF's distinctive six-string guitar theme playing in the back of your mind and see funny squiggles whenever you move your eyes, it is time to go to bed), reading your story sort of got lost in the shuffle :p  I'll probably catch up tomorrow, hopefully* completing my previous side-post.

*By which I mean "Don't even bother getting your hopes up, what do you want from me, it's only been 2 days and it's an entire half an update and timely updates are for n00bs"
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: June 25, 2012, 07:53:40 am »

He did say he had eyes and ears everywhere..... Hell I'm sure somewhere along the way he'd been installing surveilance gear all over the place, including the dump to make sure necros weren't trying anything funny....

And damn, definatly fits his implied trait of not fucking around when he does something.... Hell In the event of a sequel it seems I may need to conscript the traps from kobold camp (specifically the shrapnal and dart traps.) Plus a gas trap sounds unbearably evil/badass. And dwarven. I wonder if we could make such a machine to cause lung necrosis....

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: June 25, 2012, 09:53:43 am »

Hanslanda - Thanks! I'm glad someone enjoyed it. :) Oh, and we already have two Holistic Spawn pitting rooms, but i don't see why we couldn't use another with zombies.

Mr Frog...
Don't apologize. :P By "near future" I meant "within the next hour or two". I wanted to get another post up there so someone could read it and I could get feedback. Irony: Not many people were on last night.

I am now writing fan SCPs
Dude... I would so read that.

And take your time. :) Reading while rushed ruins the reading, and writing while rushed ruins the writing.

Splint - I figure he has cameras in a pretty good number of places, but not technically "everywhere". "Everywhere" as in "all over the place", perhaps. There wasn't one in the dump, or he would've found Vanya almost instantly (yay, she has a name now).
And noooo, Dwarf Mr Frog does not screw around. lol    Honestly, I never imagined him with a cape/cloak until this entry... It just seemed to fit. As these entries are written by someone who shares Talvi's perspective, Dwarf Mr Frog is the villain here, basically, though not at all an "Muahaha, I'm so evil, watch me take over the world so I can feel good about myself" kind of bad guy. From his perspective, he's the good guy... so I don't really have to alter his character any. I just took advantage of his near-lack of morals, that's all. :P

And Stormtemplar - if you haven't dealt with the zombies already, you need to. I've ran through the first few month's after Mitch's reign a few times as tests, so... Just follow these Dwarven Ten Commandments of Spearbreakers and you'll be fine (or, really, they're just suggestions, but laying them out like this was more fun):
I. THOU SHALT NOT LET THE UNDEAD HORDES INSIDE. As tempting as it may be, especially since the first necromancer is pathetic and even simply letting his zombies run rampant through the fort will only net you around 6 losses total, this is a deathtrap. Mainly because in late spring you're going to get either A. three simultaneous sieges, B. three more necromancers who will path straight inside, taking advantage of the bones and bodies everywhere, or C. a very large number of goblin ambushes. You may also get any combination of the above three, and all of them are evil. Basically, try not to die. As hard as that is.
II. THOU SHALT NOT FIGHT THEM ON THE SPIKE BRIDGE. Dwarves are stupid and will dodge a lot more often than zombies will (zombies don't dodge).
III. THOU SHALT NOT TRY TO SAVE THE LAST MORONIC MIGRANT RUNNING BACK AND FORTH ABOVEGROUND. You will lose more than you gain. In fact, if a single soldier gets stuck outside, even if he's legendary, leave him. He's not worth it. This happened to Feb, and I tried to save him.
IV. THOU SHALT NOT LEAVE CORPSES LYING AROUND INSIDE. Get them up. Fast. And then re-lock the doors to the "condemned" garbage dump.
V. THOU SHALT NOT LEAVE THE ARMY IN SUCH A PATHETIC STATE. Fix them, please... I beg you. They run straight to the entrance in order to pick up their gear, and then, "What ho! A zombie!" - the morons rush into battle completely unarmed and unarmored. Also the squads are very unbalanced for some reason...
VI. THOU SHALT KEEP THE MILITARY STATIONED BY THE DEPOT. At least, whenever you want to go outside. Necromancers are bad news, and sieges/ambushes can happen almost instantly. If a necromancer gets inside, a second one will, and then a third, and they're a helluva pain to track down. Especially while raising zombies.
VII. THOU SHALT MAKE A BETTER ALERT ZONE. The current one spans the entire fort. That's ridiculous. If someone gets inside, the fortress is screwed. Maybe a new burrow for just the dining area/food stockpile/hospital? They're all on the same level.
VIII. THOU SHALT BETTER FORTIFY OUR ENTRANCE LATER. We have one layer of defense. One layer of defense. I cannot stress enough how screwed we are because of this. We're fighting freaking holistic spawn and we have one layer of defense - a row of traps. Whoo, we're invincible, someone said. Well, what if dwarves are stupid? What if twenty dwarves want to walk all cutesy across our little bridge like it's a catwalk and they're fashion models, right in the middle of a freaking spawn siege, and the overseer doesn't want to kill the ten legendary workers? This just in: Dwarves are stupid, dwarves are severely misguided fashionistas, and dwarves love the spotlight. It makes little difference to them if said light is on the autopsy table. However, keyword "later". Doing it right away will undoubtedly kill the fortress. Wait for the shit at the end of late Spring to hit, then think about it.
IX. THOU SHALT MAKE A MINECART TRACK. (Ignore this if it's not actually updated to .08 or beyond.) Just make sure you set it to "guide" rather than "push" or "ride". There's a space for a spiral one to the left of the stairs at the very bottom, near the forges. Halfway up, you can dodge Simon Tam's room to the south and you can continue all the way up to the forges. But on this note...
X. THOU SHALT DRAFT MORE MINERS. Seriously. We only have two. One makes mugs and the other makes statues. What is wrong with this fortress?!?

And finally... Mitch - we're not out of necromancers like you said. Not even close.

edit: I didn't have room, but "thou shalt forbid crap like hell's after you" would be tenth commandment #11. As soon as you lower the bridge (lever to the right at the top of the dining room), the fashionistas will pour onto the catwalk.

another edit: ocd.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:53:38 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:27 am »

I was wondering why no-one thinks to just blanket forbid everything on the battle lines during sieges.... As far as the majority of the zombies are concerned, the soldiers can mop them up easily as long as they stay spreadout (undead tend to shamble about aimlessly anyway.)

And we totally have two layers of defenses! The second layers is the soldiers. And I would have read it sooner, but... I need sleep... I'm finally on a decent sleep schedual and wanna keep it that way.

And man, this place is starting to take on all kinds of spooky shit isn't it....

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: June 25, 2012, 12:40:46 pm »

And we totally have two layers of defenses! The second layers is the soldiers meatwall. And I would have read it sooner, but... I need sleep... I'm finally on a decent sleep schedual and wanna keep it that way.

And man, this place is starting to take on all kinds of spooky shit isn't it....

Fixed that for you.

And yes. This place is so f-ed up that the good guys are bad guys to the other good guys, the undead horde outside our gates is considered just mildly annoying, HOLY SHIT WE ONLY HAVE TWO MINERS(?!?!?), and anyone inside the fort that isn't completely or partially insane in some way is either new or homeless. You guys are doing a fantastic job. :)
He's fucking with us.

llasram

• Bay Watcher
  • raising the dead since 1103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: June 25, 2012, 12:45:16 pm »

Am I one of those miners, because if not, then I can be a dedicated miner.
Friendship is magic
Necromancy is magic
∴Necromancy is Friendship.
Don't worry -- it still makes no sense whatsoever.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: June 25, 2012, 12:47:50 pm »

We had four, but Bombzero was killed in some clusterfuck with the undead and Sus was either knocked to his death or dodged into the spike pits during an earlier mess.

Kinda sad really, cause Bombzero the mad butcher was a defining feature of the place....

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: June 25, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »

Yeah. Bombzero was definitely a Spearbreakers mascot.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 815