Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2195473 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Honestly, I'm only really surprised that it was a lurker who added the link. I was kind of expecting Spearbreakers's TVTropes debut to be in the form of a self-congratulatory vanity article written by one of the active contributors (I recall the fanfic section and webcomics section being really bad about that). Not that anyone here would actually do that, but...
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I'm just amazed this actually got such an honorable mention.... well as honorable as a blood coated hell pit can be mentioned as anyway....

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

heheheeeeee
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile

I'll start writing up a summary for the TVTropes page.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just don't get too fannish, okay? The less time spent trying to paint Spearbreakers as the BEST LP EVAR, the better.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I cna think of two things that fit right away

- Nice Job Breaking it Hero - It seems the majority of us have fucked something up in a bid to make things better. somehow. Case in point, my little retracting bridge fiasco.

- Continuity snarl - I don't even know where to begin on this.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

We have a TVTropes page now? Awesome. :D

WHY ARE ALL YOU GUYS SUCH GOOD WRITERS? You could turn Spearbreakers into a good movie with the amount of information you guys have been throwing off.
There is absolutely no way in this world I'd make a good director.

And Spearbreakers practically begs to have stories written about it. Think about it - you've got tons of "bad guys" who aren't really bad guys at all, but are simply on their own side - Parasol, Joseph, Ballpoint, the necromancers, and if you want you can simply write from a different viewpoint and make the good guys into bad guys. You've got a huge history, you've got constant battles just to protect caravans passing through, you've got a sci-fi war going on at the same time, you have no shortage of "good guys", and even the middling characters have enough meat on them to pass as protagonists if you wanted. You've got plenty of space for romance (generally of the epic failing variety, leading to awesome drama), and more than enough room for betrayal - everyone in Spearbreakers is basically on their own side, as it's so hard to survive that if you focus on anyone else you wind up zombie food (figuratively speaking). And when someone nears becoming zombie food, it's a perfect opportunity for a hero to emerge and save the day (or a villain to emerge and ensure their downfall). It's a writer's paradise.

Spearbreakers has good writers possibly because it attracts them. A story about a happy aboveground fort with unicorns and rainbows and no problems to speak of begs for nothing to be written about it... and Spearbreakers is the absolute opposite. Nobody in the fortress is happy. ...except perhaps Draignean.

Actually, !Story Spearbreakers! is probably really close to a civil war.

All this. You are a genius.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of stories, it may need a bit of polish, but here's the next timewar update.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

* I didn't feel I needed to mention them activating thier camo.

** These two have fought off far worse at Shockedtowns. Plus a bunch of random flatlines and the IFVs exploding behind you can't be good for morale.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ecem and Bugi are stone cold BAMFs.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I based them off of my best soldiers in my now long lost settlement Shockedtowns. Hell, Bugi spent 6 years with an arrow embedded in her shoulder and Ecem obliterated an entire ambush squad alone and chopped a troll in half with enough force to send the bottom part airborne onto the hill shockedtowns was built into.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Off the top of my head:

Mr Frog:

Alternate Character Interpretation (Is somewhat infamous for being portrayed differently by different authours)
Antihero
Breakout Character (Seems to have a hand in literally every side story at present)
Good Is Not Nice (Trying to make up for what he did under Ballpoint. Still a ruthless dick.)
Insufferable Genius
Oh God What Have I Done (Prompted his little schism from Ballpoint)
Mad Scientist
Omnidisciplinary Scientist (Demonstrates skill in bioengineering, mechanics, pharmacology, disc jockeying, and more)
Stepford Smiler

Talvieno:

Beware The Nice Ones
Book Dumb
Crazy Cavy Lady
Sanity Slippage
Stalker With A Crush
Yandere

Joseph:

Ascended Extra (Began life as a one-off gag, is now a full-fledged villain.)
The Chessmaster
Manipulative Bastard
Nice Is Not Good
Der Übermensch
Uncanny Valley (He's a bit too perfect.)
Well-Intentioned Extremist

General:

Baleful Polymorph: Ashsaber, Softa, Stovia, and the Spawn's other unfortunate victims.
Deadly Doctor: Tend to congregate around the Hospital for some reason.
Beyond The Impossible: Technically speaking, as he had already gathered all the materials for his strange mood, The Master should not have gone insane. He did anyways.
Demoted To Extra: After several scares early on, the Spawn become overshadowed by the fortress's own Hospital and attacking necromancers.
Eldritch Abomination: The Spawn, obviously.
Genre Shift: Sci-fi elements creep into the side-stories after a bit.
Portal Splice: Referenced in one of my sidestories.
Schedule Slip: Very much so. Steps have been taken to rectify this.
Zombie Apocalypse: At one point, there were well over 300 zombified animal parts milling around outside the fort.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:50:00 pm by Mr Frog »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Splint, I must ask you to teach me how to military. I suck at military, own at traps. >.<

And Mr Frog, you've nailed it.
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@ Mr Frog - Is it stange I am filled with joy reading that?
@ Hans - Humans train far more agressivly than dwarves do, and will often start sparring right away if set to train unarmed or if two of the squad have weapons. Paintbrush beat me to it, but I have yet to train dwarves the way I do humans. Once more, if I can make legends of humans, I can make demi-gods from dwarves probably.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tropes are fun for multiple reasons, not all of which I feel are entirely-healthy :V

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, they can make people laugh. And in this hellscape that's something we desperatly need.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 815