Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178645 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

Tropes are fun for multiple reasons, not all of which I feel are entirely-healthy :V

This. But they're good descriptors filled with meaning if you're trying to explain something.
'Why'd he do that?'
'Because he's a Well-Intentioned Extremist.'
'Oooh...'
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

they're good descriptors

Not really, honestly. Saying someone is a Mad Scientist or a Stalker With A Crush is paintinAHHHH GIANT-ASS MOSQUITO FLEW RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE KILL KILL

*Ahem* is painting with a really wide-ass brush that carries a lot of baggage and leaves out a lot of important nuances wholesale. It's a fun game, and can be a semi-useful tool for comparing similar characters or plotlines, but tropes are pretty worthless for describing things on their own terms.

(Maybe PMs for this one? I can see this getting pretty heated if left unfettered...)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you wish. I need to discuss a storyline with ya anyways.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Okiedokie, lay it on me anytime.

Not sure if I'm comfortable with apparently having become the Sage of Writing, but I'm here to assist either way.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

I never really cared for TvTropes, but it's awesome that there's a page for Spearbreakers on there, albeit still blank. Something I would be interested in finding out, though, is which two quotes people think best sum up Spearbreakers (this coming from noticing that most of the other succession games on there have exactly two quotes at the beginning of the article).

And Mr Frog, if I understand right, he's just trying to keep his plot from conflicting with yours.

And the next part of V's Journal. I feel it's badly flawed, though.
More From V's Journals
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:34:38 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

I got it. She's a Ferric Elf. Her mother and probably father were killed in a battle outside the Mountainhall and a soldier, likely her "grandmother" found her and took her in, telling her she was a dwarf with a birth defect or something until she was old enough to realize she was really an elf. Her sister was her psyche's self defense mechanism to blunt the harshness of being an elf living among dwarves, her military aspirations stemming from wanting to both make her "Grandfather" proud and to prove she had what it took to be a dwarf, like a great hero from a time before time.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"I don't have the appropriate equipment."
I think you finally nailed the Mr Frog!Dorf characterization.
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed. Better than I can manage.

A small update to the timewar.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A bump, and also a heads up that I put up a summery of spearbreakers on its TVTropes page. Someone else can start applying the mess of things that actually apply to it.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds awesome, Splint - I'll take a look at it when I finish reading over the last couple things you posted. :P Also a bump.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Horrays. I was wondering if anyone was gonna read'em.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lol, I always read them, man. I like how you managed to fit your human fort into the Spearbreakers saga, by the way - I'd thought that was what you were doing back when I first saw Bugi's name, but wasn't sure. (I actually almost accidentally linked Aperture Science to Mr Frog - the shimmering liquid Vanya splashed all over the place during the Vanya-Frog battle was originally going to be orange (slidey speed goo, anyone?), but my brother noticed it before I posted. Would've been hell to explain.)

llasram

• Bay Watcher
  • raising the dead since 1103
    • View Profile

The second and last (for now) view of a day in Spearbreakers. I’m out of ideas and creativity, and all I know is the third will be filled with paranoia. I’m just going to be putting more small things in both.

Friendship is magic
Necromancy is magic
∴Necromancy is Friendship.
Don't worry -- it still makes no sense whatsoever.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They bore the symbol of the madman, [insert whatever the hell it is here.]
The first thing in my mind was that-which-shall-not-be-named-in-this-thread, which actually seems to go pretty well with Joseph's mellow demeanor.

Ecem and Bugi are definitely appropriately badass. lol   I especially like the excessive (kidding) amount of gore... Megaman was right - I second what he said. This would make for an awesome action scene in a movie. I'd be terrified to meet Ecem and Bugi in combat... How do you think they compare to Fischer, though, if they were all equipped with steel armor and melee weapons? If Fischer's as good as she's always sounded, she ought to be magnificent.

Who gave you this?" Mr Frog demanded, bringing the weapon back up.

"Well..... You did."
Do I detect a time loop? :P

Also, why are Ballpoint contractors working for Dwarf!Mr Frog? I thought Dwarf!Mr Frog hated Ballpoint, and Ballpoint hated him - actually wanting to kill him, in fact.

Either way, epic story bits. The first of the two was pure action of the type I wish I could kick out, and it really does somehow sound like Mr Frog, being able to rig a mini-railgun up from duct tape and bailing wire...

EDIT: nominating the first one of the two for decoration in the second post.

RE-EDIT: I hate typos.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:51:40 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How that worked was basically he gave them what they needed to slap Joseph's shit in the short term(Timed charges) in exchange for a service. A delivery to be exact. So in a way this could be seen as nothing but a simple transaction, in which both parties benefitted.

And I don't recall anyone saying something about an actiuon movie.

Also, Ecem and Bugi were legendary + 5 halberdiers, Fishcer is probably a legendary +5 pikedwarf.... So it could probably go either way, with Fischer trancing evening out the numerical advantage Ecem and Bugi would have.

EDIT: Also there's alot of a railgun's chief component around - Magnetite. if that wasn't available he wouldn't have been able to make the accelerator rails.

And to elaborate a little more:

-Mr Frog is trying to mess up Joseph's plans from within
-Ballpoint sends scouts, something Mr Frog expects and hopes to happen.
-To benefit both himself and Ballpoint, Mr Frog has them rig up charges around the two most important research facilities.
-However, to be able to accomplish this, Mr Frog asks them to deliver his PEA, which has imporvments on the Chainsword and Sawpike, schematics for the Grindaxe, railsgun and pistol, the Buzzhammer, and ballistic armor, to give the dwarves an edge should his clone escape from Spearbreakers

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 815