Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2196195 times)

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3225 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:03 am »

3...... one of the is filled with "asstons of pointy metal sticks", so i think nothing will go through there anytime soon..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:23:12 am by Paintbrushturkey »
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:50 am »

Xaxah! I was worried that I'd chased you out :V

The only sprite-based game I've played that has both a medieval setting and pretty sprite art is Final Fantasy Tactics. The original had a pretty subdued style to its sprites IIRC, which should work pretty well for this setting. FFT didn't have dwarves, though :-\ It may be possible to hack something together, make the legs shorter or something.

If you're spriting individual characters (which I interpreted your post as meaning for some reason), I could provide a drawing of my dude so that there's at least an official design for him... I'm not much of an artist, though, so don't expect anything fancy.

I'm not skilled enough to sprite true individuals. I would proly use a template. I can't use FFT because it is 3D, meaning the level sprites are just flat tiles. The character sprites... Maybe. Prolly not, though, as they are PSX, and that adds an extra layer of irritation.

I didn't leave cause of you, Frog. I have been missing because my cat decided my phone would enjoy a swim in my water mug at 4 AM. She got spanked over that one. Now I'm trying to get my dad to reactivate a phone that is only half broke, but has the same level of functionality, instead of a Metro PCS Razor that doesn't even have a Micro SD slot.

Now for a preview of Rose's journal, since she hasn't migrated yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had a strange dream in which the world that this save was on was eaten by a black hole, and everyone documented what happened in adamantite journals, cause you know that's standing up to a black hole.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 11:53:48 am by Xahnel »

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: July 20, 2012, 12:00:17 pm »

I had a strange dream in which the world that this save was on was eaten by a black hole, and everyone documented what happened in adamantite journals, cause you know that's standing up to a black hole.

Say what, where did you learn physics? 0_o
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: July 20, 2012, 12:14:36 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress. Physics are irrelevant here. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: July 20, 2012, 12:35:54 pm »

Nitpick-that-I'm-not-sure-why-I'm-bringing-up-now: I'd rather the additional Mr Frog that Eris Xerox'd up be referred to as a 'duplicate' or a 'replica' rather than a 'clone', as to me 'clone' means a facsimile grown more-or-less naturally through biological processes, whereas the duplicate Mr Frog is a particle-for-particle copy constructed fully-formed from scratch.
Technically, the word "clone" means nothing more than "to make a copy of something". It can have other meanings, but that's basically all it means. "Duplicate" means "to make an exact copy of something", and "replicate" means "to make a copy of an original". I would lean away from "duplicate" and perhaps go towards "replicate", but that doesn't sound quite right to me either, probably because of the secondary meaning where "replicate" can also mean "to make an exact, smaller copy of". Big Frog, Little Frog isn't something I want to mess with...    It's your story, though, and I'll go with whatever you'd rather. :P

Ah, science. Theoretically, nothing can stand up to a black hole, but since adamantine is basically the shavings of the Big Blue Beard in the Sky, I guess we can allow it. Good luck bending the paper, opening the book, turning the pages, carving letters, or (most importantly) getting into the black hole to read it, though. ;)
For sprites, I might suggest AoE II, but I can't remember how high of quality those are, as it's been forever since I played (won't run on any computers I've had in five years or so)... I doubt they're that great.

And now, the latest in the Vanya story (which to me feels somewhat... disjointed). I didn't manage to get as much into this chapter as I wanted to (sorry, Hans :( ), and I'll be following it up with a second one before too long, hopefully.
More From Vanya
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:18:09 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: July 20, 2012, 12:38:43 pm »

Say what, where did you learn physics? 0_o
I was being snarky. :P EDIT: I'd like to take a moment to direct some thoughts and prayers to the people who were hurt in aurora colorado in that movie theater shooting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:14:56 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: July 20, 2012, 02:33:24 pm »

Dang Mr Frog, you scary.

And I see he's already had the PEA delivered to him.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: July 20, 2012, 07:40:58 pm »

Halfway down the first page? For shame.
I'd like to take a moment to direct some thoughts and prayers to the people who were hurt in aurora colorado in that movie theater shooting.
Thoughts and prayers directed. I used to know somebody from there. (I know that sounds sarcastic, but it's not meant to be.)

Dang Mr Frog, you scary.
Very scary. Only dwarf!Mr Frog could mix something up that would kill a person so brutally in under thirty seconds. I'm going to have an interesting time explaining what happens afterwards, though... I would've had time to possibly write up the next post, but I haven't been on a computer. I've actually been watching The Fifth Element (thanks, Hanslanda), nice movie.
And I see he's already had the PEA delivered to him.
Not necessarily. He's had a year to perfect it, and a perfectly legit combat test with it, too. Although, if he has had it delivered to him, he can't have any idea where it came from. He possibly attributes it to one of the gaps in his memory, or he subconsciously filled one of those gaps with something that explains it so he doesn't think he's crazy. I'll let nondwarf!Mr Frog handle that explanation. :) (I was honestly going more for the former, though, but if the latter is more popular, fine by me.)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: July 20, 2012, 07:58:07 pm »

been doing schoolwork sadly. Why ii couldn't just do an extended school bit to do the projects I said fuck it to, I'll never know.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: July 20, 2012, 07:58:18 pm »

Any migrants, splint? Edit: ninja'd, glad i'm out of school.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:59:51 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: July 20, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »

Should get some this month (still in slate, it's slow going and probably gonna stay that way until all this junk gets shifted.)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:30 pm »

Be sure to tell the date, okay? I wanna be accurate in the journal. EDIT: Can't wait for the library's internet to start working again so i can get out some art... I got no access to my normal sprite source.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:06:02 pm by Xahnel »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: July 20, 2012, 09:28:22 pm »

Guess what, you guys? I finally finished another story I've been working on, which means that I now can focus on Spearbreakers full-time for a bit! Hopefully I'll now actually get this damn sci-fi derail over with before the heat death of the universe!

E: Um, is my avatar suddenly invisible to anyone else?
E²: Okay... it's back now. WTFrog.
EE:
Topic: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)  (Read 33369 times)
I love multiples of three.
EEE: Typos and other stupidities corrected.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:42:29 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: July 20, 2012, 09:57:04 pm »

Excellent description of the spawn transformation process, Mr Frog! I might be able to use that in a comic, or perhaps (don't get your hopes up) an animation. EDIT: For some reason, i am reminded of the flood. For a possible third itteration of the spawn... a seperate entity specifically for spreading the infection, and thus propagating the species?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:01:38 pm by Xahnel »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: July 20, 2012, 10:06:02 pm »

The Flood used their victims as food sources and incubators, whereas the Spawn directly transform dwarves into more of themselves (and can reproduce normally outside of that). I'm not sure if that's the best comparison.

A dedicated 'infection form' might be cool, but I'm not sure how such a thing could be implemented.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:07:45 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 815