Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178062 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3270 on: July 21, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »

Alright man, just don't go getting over eager like before.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: July 21, 2012, 05:24:28 pm »

Hey guys, guys.

Between my last update and Paintbrushturkey's, there were 80 pages.
Pffahaha.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: July 21, 2012, 05:45:28 pm »

Technically only 53, because, you know, numbers. But yeah, we waited about a month for Stormtemplar, and during that time, 53 pages... obviously we have a very active fanfic community. :P

I'll up it to around 110. Usually I restrict it to 70 or less for managment reasons.
Popcap is only whaaaa??!??  :o No wonder we have such a relatively small fortress, and so few migrant waves. Oh, and you forgot to mention that in the first post.
edit: forgot that wasn't in the raws.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:23:39 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: July 21, 2012, 05:45:49 pm »

ignore, connection.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: July 21, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »

Popcap is only whaaaa??!??  :o No wonder we have such a relatively small fortress, and so few migrant waves. Oh, and you forgot to mention that in the first post.

We have 95 dorfs currently.

Oh, and the last necro is finally dead. Doctormonch bashed his head in with a crossbow.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: July 21, 2012, 05:55:00 pm »

If I remember correctly, popcap only counts for adult dwarves, so if upping it 20 knocks it to 110, it's at 90, and that's about right - we have room for a few more dwarves, but nothing on the level of a new migrant wave.
I usually keep my population around 150... management reasons. ;) No, really, it makes managing megaprojects go a lot, lot faster when you have a lot of idle dwarves hanging around - my philosophy: if you have idlers, start building. Plus, then you don't have to be so careful with the little buggers, and they can safely meet with accidents every now and then. Call it population culling.

Doctormonch? Seriously? Wouldn't have seen that coming, I don't even remember him being in the militia, let alone the crossbow squad. But congrats to him. :) Necro drop anything?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: July 21, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »

Dunno, I'll check the body.

And Doctormonch, along with 19 other dwarves, have been organized into Civil Defense Units (peasent crossbow levies) by Paintbrush it seems. Each of them appears to have a professional melee soldier leading them though.

Doctormonch didn't have any ammo, and basically threw all his weight into the guy's head with the crossbow I would think.

Got a screenie as proof, which will be included in this coming update.

EDIT: I want to make use of that magnificent Vulture Armor Corai mooded, but who should I assign it to?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: July 21, 2012, 06:08:24 pm »

+1 for the peasant crossbowmen, always a good thing to have around when invaders storm into the fortress - you don't even have to lift a finger, they just autofire and run. But I'm not sure what good a melee soldier leader would do... I'd allow them to expend worthless ammo if they ever felt like training, instead. Do we have a 2-z archery range yet? (2-z to catch bolts) And looking forwards to the update.

I had no idea Corai had mooded. :\

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: July 21, 2012, 06:15:01 pm »

Now finally caught up again... All satisfactory, and I'm not really in the mood to systematically nitpick a bajillion pages of updates, but I will point out that Mr Frog stating that magic doesn't exist is pretty hilarious considering that there likely were at least three necromancers milling about the surface at the time of his saying that.

E: Maybe something like:

"Of course not," said Mr Frog condescendingly, as though I had said something unimaginably-stupid; "The design doesn't even remotely resemble that of a magic-based system. Barring an extremely-clever disguise, this device is technological in nature."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 06:22:19 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: July 21, 2012, 06:18:14 pm »

Mooded during paintbrush's turn. I skimmed a bit but I saw the word armor and paid attention. Because I want my proof available imedatly, I am going to be uploading the pics on tinypic now to plug the hosting in before I post the update.

Also, Fischer has named her pike it seems. Now she'll never part with it. Splashslowed. There's a statue of her using this pike to murder a Spawn in the garden.

Also, I'd rather have a dorf who knows what real horror on the battle line is leading me than one who doesn't. They'll know what to teach them to stay alive in a melee. Just look at Doctormonch! He learned well the art of applying crossbow to head directly.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: July 21, 2012, 06:31:09 pm »

Now finally caught up again... All satisfactory, and I'm not really in the mood to systematically nitpick a bajillion pages of updates, but I will point out that Mr Frog stating that magic doesn't exist is pretty hilarious considering that there likely were at least three necromancers milling about the surface at the time of his saying that.

E: Maybe something like:

"Of course not," said Mr Frog condescendingly, as though I had said something unimaginably-stupid; "The design doesn't even remotely resemble that of a magic-based system. Barring an extremely-clever disguise, this device is technological in nature."
Awesome, you edited after I began to reply. But yeah... maybe the necromancers are renegades from Parasol? :P no. You're right, of course. I'm an idiot, I should've thought about that.
I'll rewrite it, and thanks for pointing that out. Much appreciated.

@Splint: Nevermind, I had read that, I'd just forgotten. I saw "armor" and paid attention, but then saw "leather" and looked away.

Splashslowed... Perhaps because she's so skilled that she sees everything slow in an action movie style way as she's jamming her pike into everything and blood is splashing everywhere? That's a masterwork adamantine pike, right? (Useless, in my opinion, since half of pike-using is bashing, but she's still badass with it.) Love the statue part. :P Awesome.

At the last, good point, I suppose. They'd learn dodging/biting/kicking/striking with greater speed. Still, they need bolts... How many quivers do we have?

edit: Lol:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 06:43:47 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: July 21, 2012, 06:59:32 pm »

5th Slate, 207.

Draignean, while an upparalelled master in narcissism and  general combat, has finally been deemed worthy of being called a pikemaster.

6th Slate, 206.

I decied to peruse some of our engravings, well way from the hospital (though I've oredered it smoothed out so it looks less, you know, depressing.)

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

I personally found the one of the kobold smashing into something hilarious.

17th Slate, 207.

Seems ThatAussieGuy informs me if anyone touches his crossbow "I'll (he'll) tear thier arms off and beat them to death with them."

That's what I get for accepting someone named after a maddwarf into my fortress. At least his is made of actual metal...

20th Slate, 207.

Mr Frog made a grievance about the bones and such litering the place while he went out to collect samples from the remains of the barbarians and spawn. Says he's studying the effects of undeath upon thier corrupted flesh or some such nonsense, whatever floats his boat I guess. I saw him walk outside with some funny jar, but I've stopped caring what he does with his strange concoctions, since his sleeping aids are the only thing at make sleeping bearable in this place for most of the population, myself included (these dirt walls don't stop spawn sounds as well as one would think.) But Ashsaber and Softa, if nothing else, can be seen as the one thing that will forever be preserved here should the fortress fall. Their cries will call travlers here, so that they may see our sacrifice when we are gone.

Also I decided to finish the road Mr Frog started work on during his reign as overseer. Now I need to figure out where the hell the levers that operate the roadway bridges for this summer. Oh and this poor bastard is still stuck. I have no idea how Mr Frog gets these images, but when I need to see something he makes sure it gets seen.

[Poor bastard. All his friends died around him, his arms are broken, and we've locked him in a stiarwell.]

23rd Slate, 207.

The liason informed Simon Tam that the capital is in need of head protection and medical supplies. they tacked on a few odds and ends, among thier wants being wooden cups. This being a fortress with so many stone ones, so having some wooden ones commissioned for trade shouldn't matter much.

The Liason also departed today, and with that, we are finally recognized as an official addition to our great nation!

Now I have more reason than ever to do my best for this fortress. And should I make unreasonable demands..... I'll blame no-one but myself if they go unheeded. Just as I tend to throw things at my wall, I'll probably want stupid things made.... But I'll do what I must to keep myself sane.... There's some pain that no amount of booze or Mr Frog's potions can fix.

2nd Felsite, 207.

At long last! The final one has slipped and signed his death warrent!

As funtionality was returned to the original bridge to the depot, I was having more walls errected when the bastard struck! Doctormonch was assisting in building a floor for one of the recently built towers when he was bitten by the foul mystic. [Seriously. His response to walking into Doctormonch was to try and take a chunk out of him. He was going to go sleep in the barracks I added near the depot after he finished (that's where he went and crapped out after the fight.)]

Nevyn was also heading to the same tower and saw the fight and seemed to have moved to assist Doctormonch, now fighting for his life bashing away with his crossbow! Nevyn however, decided to finish the floor instead. Prick.

But, all was not lost! And we now may have a new mascot!

The stupid fuck ducked a swing and went right into the old bridge pit.

[Before]

[After. Good job dumbass!]

I ordered the ramp back up floored over, and the worker never even got it done. Doctormonch ran right down the ramp and came back up with gray matter on his crossbow.

3rd Felsite, 207.

I've decide that as first act as baron of this fortress, I am going to establish a few military awards, so that our soldiers have something as a sign we know, care about, and respect thier work and sacrifices. Especially Fischer. She's traded raising a family and living a peaceful life for the life of a warrior. such a life is nasty, brutal, and often short. I know this from my own expierences when I took part in the battle at the Smooth Points of Pride.

The Adamantine Cross -  The highest honor any of out soldiers will recieve. A medal made of pure adamantine, crossed pikeds over a cross and a skull in the foreground. ALl those soldiers who fought the undead shall recieve one.

The Iron Order - Awarded to those who held thier ground in the face of seemingly unbeatable odds. Fischer deserves recognition for that. A shield with a winged pike forged from iron shall be this medal's form.

The Civil Defense Order of Valor - To those who've fought the enemies of our nation without being a true soldier and won. Doctormonch shall recieve one of these, as will Askad, Bloodeyes, and Terrahex, for thier efforts against the necromancers. It will be made from copper, and will be of a fist clutching a crossbow on a diamond background.

The Copper Heart - Any who've gone to the hospital and lived will recieve one. I am going to have one awarded to The Master's lover on his behalf postumously, since he had survived it before Mitch's reforms. It will be made from copper with an image of our first monarch upon it.

[I'll include the pics of the engravings later on. Glad I got this update out, with pics!]

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: July 21, 2012, 07:02:29 pm »

wow. even THEY know about us.

as for moving, its ALOT MORE COMPLACATED.
dont ask.
also, SWEEEEEEET!
UPDATE!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: July 21, 2012, 07:12:14 pm »

Wait, I mooded? Oh hell yes. And congrats Draignean.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: July 21, 2012, 07:15:03 pm »

ANother fucking necromancer got spotted by a puppy wandering around. WHY CAN I NOT HAVE A FORT FREE OF THESE ASSHOLES!?
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 815