Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2197399 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3360 on: July 24, 2012, 04:17:25 am »

I always assumed he was just a human who was on the shorter end of the spectrum: Short enough to pass for a dwarf with his beard grown out, but easily not one if you actually paid close attention, which these dwarves either don't do, or have and don't care, considering him to be an honorary dwarf for braving this mess with them for so long.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:20 am »

I personally think he's a hobbit/gnome/half-dwarf/etc., though that's also a possibility (DF dwarves don't seem that much shorter than humans -- SIZE:60000 versus SIZE:70000. A small human could probably pass with only a few odd stares).
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: July 24, 2012, 04:38:52 am »

That's what I'm assuming with Rose: Just a shorter than average human. As you said, such a human could probably pass for a dwarf.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: July 24, 2012, 05:03:21 am »

I have been following this thread for months, but this madness has finally convinced me to stop lurking and get an account.  I would like to say now however that the possibility was raised only of Rose being related to in-game Mr Frog, not necessarily a sister.  Maybe a Niece looking to visit the uncle she knows next to nothing about, wanting to see why he never visits?  How about his second cousin once removed, sent to this hellhole by Ballpoint as part of "erasing" Mr Frog's entire family, all to tie up loose ends?  If you are stuck in thinking that the only way she could related to Mr Frog is as a sister, you are losing alot of possible stories. (this of course is assuming you decide she's related at all, but I just can't stand seeing only the most boring, mundane choice when there are countless possibilities)

On dwarfing me, do so if you wish, but I don't care one way or the other.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: July 24, 2012, 05:10:05 am »

And we bring another one out of the woodwork! That makes what, 3 lurkers we've managed to register with this crazy? And James, welcome. I'll get you a dwarf right away. Soldier work for you?

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: July 24, 2012, 06:10:11 am »

As I said Splint, I do not care at all, through as far as combat in DF goes, I would prefer to dual-wield a spear/pike (to pin an enemy with so they stop moving around) and some other melee weapon, preferably an axe or hammer (to preform the Coup de Grace on whoever I pin).  A doctor would also be good however, as before I even discovered DF, I was offering (note that I can accept the answer no, though if my dwarf is a doctor, he wouldn't) my number one cure-all, AMPUTATION!!!  Examples:  Sprained ankle?  AMPUTATE THE ANKLE!;  Bruised arm?  AMPUTATE THE ARM!;  Headache?  AMPUTATE THE HEAD!;  BF/GF broke your heart?  AMPUTATE THE HEART!;  What's that, you want anesthetic?!?  ELF!  AMPUTATE!!!

As you can see, that would be akin to the surgical equivalent of the late Bombzero.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: July 24, 2012, 06:19:39 am »

@james:

Welcome to the madhouse. Refreshments are on the table to the left.

I would like to point out that a niece would still directly imply the existence of an as-yet-unmentioned sibling (though a cousin admittedly wouldn't), and that it seems to me extremely-unlikely that she'd pop in to this little hell-on-earth just to say hi unless there was already an extremely-strong bond present. Mr Frog doesn't really seem like a loving family man to me, and I doubt he'd bother maintaining any sort of ties with his relatives, let alone any strong enough to pull someone into the Zombie Capital of the Multiverse.

Ballpoint wanting to disappear Frog's family makes sense, though. I'd imagine they'd start with more-immediate relations like his parents or -- ahem -- siblings, however, as those would be more-likely to make a fuss over his disappearance. But, even still, why would they send Rose to the same place as Frog? Frog's a devious bastard; with a willing accomplice that likely shares at least some of his intelligence, he could engineer quite a bit of trouble.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: July 24, 2012, 06:36:40 am »

Mr Frog, I did try make it them sound plausible, such as the niece idea being her searching for this mysterious uncle of hers that she's heard next to nothing about.  As for the idea of ballpoint disappearing dorffrog's family, I presume spearbreakers takes place in at least a fairly large world, and theres a huge difference between sending someone to the same world and to the same fort.  Also, these are just to point out the things one could come up with, I would even have suggested a ballpoint spy if the V stories hadn't already used the idea.

edit: forgot to clearly state in the niece Idea, dorffrog being a mysterious uncle is meant to fill the plot hole of never mentioning any siblings because he doesn't ever keep in touch with his family.  Honestly, he always struck me as the sort of person who is far more interested in his work than things like his family or a social life.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:49:42 am by soulslicerjames »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: July 24, 2012, 06:54:47 am »

He also seems kind of like a sociopath, though I don't know if I use the term right, since clearly things that would bother a dwarf or human slightly don't seem to faze him much. Hell, I bet he'd blow his  ownreceptionist's brains out if he/she happened to be in the same room as an escaped test subject.

And I do have to agree, he does seem overall  like the type to choose work over friends or family, unless he needs them for something to help further his own ends.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: July 24, 2012, 07:24:42 am »

Hans, drugs? XP I thought you were cool.

Excuse me?

He also seems kind of like a sociopath, though I don't know if I use the term right, since clearly things that would bother a dwarf or human slightly don't seem to faze him much. Hell, I bet he'd blow his  ownreceptionist's brains out if he/she happened to be in the same room as an escaped test subject.

And I do have to agree, he does seem overall  like the type to choose work over friends or family, unless he needs them for something to help further his own ends.

Mr Frog!Dorf doesn't exactly seem like a sociopath. It seems more like he is an utterly ruthless person willing to spend lives, but not necessarily spend them lightly.

Got lucky this time, folks. Judge gave me twelve hours because I caught something I did wrong before they did and told them first. And I wore a college football shirt. And remembered some a couple things they keep saying that made me look good. So, I'm going to update here in a little while, but first I'm going to take a nice nap, because those jail cots are made of fucking steel, and you get a matress pad that is literally more like a long pillow than a matress. And those assholes didn't turn out the lights.
Nice to be back so soon. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:00 am »

He's just pokin' fun at you. Glad to see you alive Hans. Was worried somebody'd shank you for your shoes or something.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: July 24, 2012, 07:32:12 am »

No, prison is where shankings happen. Nobody does that kind of thing in rural Missouri jail because they don't want to catch another charge. And also, the shoes are like really shitty water sandals, so if someone wanted them, I'd give them away.
As always, this about sums up jail for me: Food's okay, but the service blows.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: July 24, 2012, 07:43:06 am »

As always, this about sums up jail for me: Food's okay, but the service blows.

Well duh, how would it be punishment if it was enjoyable?  Be glad I am not helping you break addiction, when I was 5 or 6, my sister and I did all sorts of things to get our dad off smoking, including throwing the tobacco into the garbage.

Let your jailtime teach you this: don't do drugs, they cut into your time for DF!

Splint: so what is my dwarf going to be, the methodical soldier or mad amputator?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: July 24, 2012, 07:43:39 am »

dude... Fischer is badass. :o Have you looked at her Z-screen? All her attributes are maxed.
I looked at the save a couple days ago, and thoughts (what I remember):
  • Blocks, Splint. Blocks. Make blocks, they're a lot easier to work with.
  • Mitch's chimney might serve as a crude and temporary magma chute. Just don't drop anything down there that won't burn.
  • We STILL don't have a set of minecart tracks in the fortress. It's easy enough, and I even gave a good description of where to successfully build it. :P
  • Hooray for PBT finally reopening the original entrance. :) Now get those walls up like you're doing and put in some of your ingenious traps... Also, why are you hauling stone to the road? Blocks, Splint. Blocks.
  • I checked the raws. (sorry about the pop cap confusion a few days ago - somehow I thought that was in the raws. never bothered changing it before.) Mountain barbarians have ":UNACCEPTABLE]" and ":MOUNTAINS]" in the entity raws, and that's screwing things up. In addition, we need the eyelid patch. OPTIONAL: import the "inorganic_" raws from 34.11 so that your pitchblende mughammers will actually be heavy. I've tested it out, and it works fine.
  • Our giant emus still don't have nest boxes. Fix if you want an army of war emus.
That's all I can think of from memory. Love how you're playing the turn so far, and... Might you sign me up for a second turn? I think I could manage a month a day, and I really want to get back into the action. Assuming Spearbreakers survives and Godzilla or Mothra don't come back looking for revenge, of course.

Welcome to the madness, SoulSlicerJames! Don't drink the refreshments; Mr Frog likely laced them with some non-lethal-but-otherwise-unpleasant test concoction.

I like the idea of Mr Frog having a niece that used to work at Ballpoint... Though perhaps make it a niece once-removed, or a second niece (I'm not entirely sure how that works, but I know at least one of them makes it so Mr Frog doesn't have to have a sibling). Spearbreakers takes place in Everoc, which is fairly large, as it's played honorary host to the Boatmurdered and Battlefailed series... But I don't think someone from Ballpoint would be in too much danger if just plopped down in the middle of nowhere, as their technology would be rather advanced compared to rather everyone else... Plus, you could say that they were trained for this kind of thing. It just might take a while for them to reach the fort... maybe six years or so? She'd be arriving around now anyway. ;)

With this in mind, technically, she doesn't even have to know that Mr Frog is at Spearbreakers. All she has to know is that Ballpoint always had people in the area around Spearbreakers, and be wanting to get home instead of staying stuck wherever they dropped her. Finding out Mr Frog is there could be a complete coincidence, and she doesn't have to have any sort of bond with him. I think that a bit more likely than crossing the world in search of a family member they don't even know.
I would even have suggested a ballpoint spy if the V stories hadn't already used the idea.
Sorry about that... :P Still, nice to see you read them.

That seems to work...

Also, it would appear I've been multininja'd FIVE TIMES. Still working on a V post (when I can), and welcome back, Hans. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: July 24, 2012, 07:53:48 am »

Sorry about that... :P Still, nice to see you read them.

'Tis okay, I just felt like ballpoint wouldn't need another spy in spearbreakers, though perhaps parasol...
I want to know however, how could an elf ever pose as a dwarf?  In my experience, all dwarfs have beards, while elves never do.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 815