Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2190012 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3375 on: July 24, 2012, 08:04:52 am »

In the raws, female dwarves don't have beards (though Toady leaves you the option of turning those on if you wish, and instructions on how to do so). Also in the raws, elves are the exact same average size as dwarves. I kind of took advantage of that.
EDIT: Oh, and Toady's male elves have beards too. Forgot to mention that little tidbit. Surprised me when I found out, but hey - I guess it goes better with the tree-hugging stereotype.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:10:03 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: July 24, 2012, 08:29:50 am »

In the raws, female dwarves don't have beards (though Toady leaves you the option of turning those on if you wish, and instructions on how to do so). Also in the raws, elves are the exact same average size as dwarves. I kind of took advantage of that.
EDIT: Oh, and Toady's male elves have beards too. Forgot to mention that little tidbit. Surprised me when I found out, but hey - I guess it goes better with the tree-hugging stereotype.

In other words, elven men stole the beards of dwarven women?  KILL EM ALL!!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: July 24, 2012, 01:08:09 pm »

..... HEHE!

i thought Ballpoint and Parasol were native to that world... :-\

Stone INC. certainly is.

who wants a bio of Stone INC?

WOP. GET IT? :P
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: July 24, 2012, 03:04:22 pm »

Splint updates so fast. As Mr Frog said, it is somewhat disconcerting. Also, hi Talvieno. :D
Speaking of Talvieno...

Debriefing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, it's nice to be back.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:57:49 am by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: July 24, 2012, 04:32:06 pm »

i thought Ballpoint and Parasol were native to that world... :-\
They can't be. That would open up a huge list of paradox problems that just can't be messed with.
EXAMPLE TIMELINE:
 1. Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf
 2. Parasol messes with stuff
 3. Syrupleaf dies, world destroyed permanently
 4. ? ? ?
 5. PROFIT Parasol started, goes back in time to #2 so it can mess with Syrupleaf?

As you can see, that clearly doesn't work. In the original Syrupleaf tale, #1, #2, and #3 were all as they were above, supposedly, which means Parasol MUST be from an alternate universe/timeline. However, as expeditions were recorded as taking place afterwards and visiting the abandoned fortress of Syrupleaf, something had to have happened to make it so that the world was both destroyed, and not destroyed. Therefore,

1. Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf
 2. Parasol messes with stuff
3(a). Syrupleaf dies, world destroyed permanently
 3(b). Parasol takes a good look around, goes back in time before #3
 4. Parasol saves universe
 5. Universe continues

The inhabitants of Everoc have no idea that #3(a) ever happened, because from their perspective, the world didn't die, but just continued onwards. From Parasol's perspective, however, the order was 1, 2, 3(a), 3(b), 4, 5. They both saw the world get destroyed, and saw themselves save it. It fits with the original story of Syrupleaf as well as our own.
And of course, Spearbreakers logic dictates you must add one mug to the already confusing scenario.
Isn't time manipulation fun, kids?

@Hanslanda: You're at least two updates ahead of me. o.O I have no idea how I'm going to catch up, with only being on a computer a few hours a day.
Also, I'm really glad that you only got 12 hours. :P I was worried you'd be gone for a few days like last time.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:39:05 pm by Talvieno »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: July 24, 2012, 04:33:03 pm »

@james, Talvi:

It still seems unlikely to me that they'd banish Rose to the same universe as Frog intentionally, considering that there are an arbitrary number of other, Frog-less, backwater universes they could have used instead. The chance of Rose randomly bumping into or even actively tracking down Frog in such a huge area would be very small indeed, but when they could easily reduce that chance to a flat zero simply by booting Rose somewhere else, why would they take even the smallest unnecessary risk?

Of course, there is the possibility that there was a clerical error, e.g. Frog was supposed to be sent to Universe A and Rose was to be sent to Universe B, but at some point there was a (possibly-even-intentional) mix-up resulting in Frog being indicated as having been sent to Universe B (where Rose was supposed to go) and Rose's destination being listed as Universe A (where Frog already was). I do like the idea of Rose being somehow linked to the current plot, I'm just not sure how such a thing could be worked in. A spy sounds like a decent handwave, though I'm not really sure what they'd be trying to spy on.

I don't really care if we already have a spy; that's just a small similarity. There's still enough there for a unique storyline, I think.

...It feels kind of rude to be discussing this without any input from Xahnel, though...
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: July 24, 2012, 04:52:25 pm »

Keep talking! Though, rose was suppose to grow up in that other fort in the desert. I actually have two theories that have her related, and one that does not.
1. She is a relative from his world.

Insert-malevolent-company-here decided to screw with him by kidnapping a (baby) member of his family (who, i dunno) in Mr Frog's past (anyone who can jump universes can also choose the when) and inserted her into the past of this world. She was adopted by a dwarf in a fortress in the Dented Desert, and then decided to emigrate just cause.

2. She is a native of this world, an unknown child of Mr Frog's. Neither of them realize this.

Say during the early development of the HS2 experiment, Frog went on a recon mission to the subject world, only a mistake sent him back to an earlier point than it should have. Since interuniversal travel is expensive, he decided to stay and do his recon anyways, and Rose is a result of a casual encounter during that mission.

3. Rose is not related, and it is only coincidental.

Her dad is human, and her mom is a loose dwarven lady.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 04:57:34 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: July 24, 2012, 05:08:29 pm »

I personally support distant relative. That way, Mr Frog wouldn't know of this and niether would Rose, resulting in potential lulzy clusterfuck.

And @ Talvieno - Time manipulation is indeed fun. Case in point, I had a battle occur in the past that technically should have accidently'd the universe!

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: July 24, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »

I personally support distant relative. That way, Mr Frog wouldn't know of this and niether would Rose, resulting in potential lulzy clusterfuck.

And @ Talvieno - Time manipulation is indeed fun. Case in point, I had a battle occur in the past that technically should have accidently'd the universe!

Why did i just imagine Superintendant Chalmers yelling "SeeeyMOOOUUUR!"?

Sorry i haven't posted the journal, btw. Library internet was teh brokeded.

Mr Frog, what say we let the peoples decide Rose's origin?

EDIT:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:29:50 pm by Xahnel »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: July 24, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

what say we let the peoples decide Rose's origin?
Thank you. :)
*IS A PEOPLES*
Rose is a distant relative of Mr Frog, thrown into Everoc as a child, possibly with or without a bit of Ballpoint technology that she doesn't know what it does. For one reason or another, possibly due to being ridiculed as a child for her undwarvenly figure, she wants to prove she's just as good a dwarf as any. Thus, she gets herself sent to the most crazy hellhole currently in existence: Spearbreakers.
I've got a lot past this as to how Mr Frog and Rose figure out they're distantly related, but that's as far as I'm going to go here, so as not to step on anybody's toes.

Also, I wrote this last night. I hesitate to post, as it's the reason there's not a V update today (I didn't think Hans was going to be able to finish his side of the plot so soon), and I feel guilty about that... But anyway... The following puts how Sus died in a different light. (I haven't had the time to proofread or spellcheck, so fogive mah bad spehling; and. grammar style. pleez.)

"There's too many!"

EDIT: Xahnel, no! PMs. :P Don't trust teh internets.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:15:38 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: July 24, 2012, 05:47:43 pm »

Ah, the good ol' auxllia.... A strong dorf with a pick can becaome a great hero....

But in the end.... little hero, big war.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: July 24, 2012, 05:50:12 pm »

Ah, the good ol' auxllia.... A strong dorf with a pick can becaome a great hero....

But in the end.... little hero, big war.
True, but still. We could've lost a lot more dwarves at the end of Sus's turn, had his character not delayed the Spawn and zombies. We wrote it off as dwarven stupidity, but there's just as much evidence that Sus was a hero (as I noted in PMs). I just wanted to put it in a different light - to make it seem heroic rather than... dumb. :P

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: July 24, 2012, 05:52:47 pm »

So, zap branadorf lied to make himself seem better?

LOGIC STRIKES AGAIN.

;p

Sus, you rock postmortumly after all.

EDIT: i put my number online all the time. I've yet to need to end anyone. Even tv tropes says how nice and untrolly this community is. Apparantly, you're "affably evil"; nice as hell to each other, but quite willing to airdrown merbabies for !!PROFIT!!.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 05:58:27 pm by Xahnel »

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: July 24, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »

@Mr Frog:
Those were just examples to show my point of how only thinking of one way something could be, you lose alot of interesting story ideas.  If you can come up with something better, go right ahead and use it.  If you decide Rose isn't related to dorffrog, that's fine too.  I'd be hypocritical in regards to the point I was trying to make (as well as other things) if I didn't allow for the choice of other possibilities.

At this point in the story, I get the feeling Everoc is undergoing some sort of mini-apocalypse.  Surely Spearbreakers isn't the only place HS-2 (or HS-X?) is popping up.  Then there's the fact that the first spawn appeared at Spearbreakers far earlier than anticipated.  Also the barbarians are sweeping across the land, with the implication that they aren't invading as much as fleeing from something far worse.  Not to mention all the necromancers, each likely to have their own generic evil goals like world domination, who will certainly grow far more powerful with all the battle and bloodshed that will definitely happen due to the above, with only each other to keep their power in check.  I theorize that the increased spawn activity and numbers is only a taste of some great horde of spawn coming to sweep across the land just beyond the horizon.  Already they drove the barbarians from their mountain kingdoms, with the survivors fleeing to other lands, surviving only through foraging and raiding.  The lords of the human, dwarven, and elven kingdoms, not on good terms with the barbarians at the best of times, see only invading forces, and therefore unlikely to ask the barbarians why they are here, and so will be caught completely off guard when the massive hordes of spawn arrive.  Unprepared for the spawn, the first nations in their will likely be wiped out before they can muster a response, and even those that can make preparations before the spawn reach them will be severely outnumbered.  Even if the spawn are driven back, they will still cause inconceivable damage, and the survivors will have the problem of necromancers having access to possibly millions of corpses, making our recently ended undead problem look like nothing.  Keep in mind that the necros will be pretty much safe from the spawns wrath, as they demonstrated for us already.  All in all, prepare for things to get far, far, worse.

edit: ninja'd times 6

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: July 24, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »

So basically Spearbreakers has become Warhammer 40k in Dwarf Fortress.

Mission fucking Accomplished, Splint. Mission accomplished.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 815