Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2194205 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3495 on: July 25, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »

I am greatly annoyed that my dwarf can't lead a squad -_-

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: July 25, 2012, 11:38:01 pm »

@Xahnel:

That's plausible, but depending on how distantly-related they are, a DNA test may not pick up any significant similarity (or at least any that wouldn't happen by chance between completely-unrelated individuals). mDNA is a possibility, though in that case all of their family links must be mother-to-daughter all the way down to them.

Even if they were related, though... what of it? Mr Frog is then the creepy guy who happens to be Rose's third-cousin-twice-removed or whatever. Again -- nothing wrong with that, I just don't see it being of much consequence.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: July 25, 2012, 11:39:35 pm »

You know, I got lost in the whole sidestories. So I will just leave this here.

We use pikes, not spears. Why are we called Spearbreakers then you ask? Because we broke all the spears and had to use pikes instead.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:06:02 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: July 25, 2012, 11:44:22 pm »

@splint: that's cause he's a baron, right?

@Mr Frog: did you... Actually read what explanation i chose? Daughter, Mr Frog. From a one night stand that happened years ago on this plain. During the earliest research phases of the HS2 project. He went further back than he was supposed to, cause a clerk put in the wrong date. He decided it didn't matter, and was trivial, and did his recon anyways. Got bored one night, while an attractive female was handy. Promptly forgot her as another trivial meaningless detail.

EDIT: Look, we can go back and forth on this all night. Here's the root question. Do you, or do you not, want this specific storyline? If not, i can use my original idea of having her just be half human. If you do want to give this story a go, then help me make it. I can't think of every detail.

EDIT 2: As for this probably being not very important, i have one name for you. Johnathan.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:18:04 am by Xahnel »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: July 26, 2012, 02:09:47 am »

@Xahnel:

I was working under the assumption that she was a distant relative... I'm guessing that you told me differently at some point and I flat-out failed to make the connection. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

I have several problems with the plot as you describe it... the part where he gets sent to the wrong place seems pretty contrived, and the idea of Mr Frog casually banging someone just 'cuz she's there strikes me as a bit disconcerting; I'd already figured him to be a bit of a swinger when he was younger, though, so I'm not sure how much of that response is knee-jerk. It does seem out of character for him; I've been writing him as pretty much completely-asexual at the point in time the story takes place in, so it's jarring to think of him in that light.

What I've been trying to do up to this point is help develop the idea to the point where it works for both of us, but if you're sick of it and just want a flat yes or no, then I'm going to have to say no at the moment. I may change my mind after I've warmed up to the idea, but it's just too weird for me right now and so many little things just don't seem right.

You seem uncharacteristically-frustrated; I'm sorry if I was being obstructive or condescending. I have a fairly-significant emotional investment in the subject at hand, so I may have gotten overly-possessive without realizing it.

E: Erm... who's Johnathan? Is he mentioned in your journal? I'm not caught up yet (I tend to read them all in bursts).
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: July 26, 2012, 06:16:55 am »

Shoot, you guys - five pages in one night that I don't really have time to read at the moment. :(  Noting that we're trying to figure out Parasol/Ballpoint, I'm going to post what I wrote down in a notebook last night for my own reference.

Parasol Corps:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ballpoint Tech:
Just my thoughts on everything. I may have missed a page farther back where people decided unanimously on what everything was, and if so... whoops. :P

@Splint: Normally I'd be all for aerial technology (more for it than most things, I came close to being a pilot, and have semi-passable knowledge on flying helicopters), but both of them become undefeatable if Spearbreakers was ever to come out of its shell and attempt to combat the companies.

EDIT: As far as I see it,
Eris is an underground entity that operates covertly.
this sums Eris up perfectly, but I'd add that they accomplish their means through manipulation. Kind of like ninjas that like getting into your head and using you as a puppet to take down your own allies, and get you killed in the process - all without being noticed. In my opinion, that's freaky scary to have to go up against. I'd rather see my foe.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:30:41 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: July 26, 2012, 06:32:35 am »

Hey, it's adapt or die as far as air power goes. If you can't build your own aircraft to fight the enemy's aircraft, you give the grunts the tools to fight back with (case in point, the moghopper transport the contractors used was pretty much forced to withdraw because of the weapons the ground bound IFVs from Eris had.)

As far as the dwarves from spearbreakers fighting these companies, all they'd need to do is get a hold of the weapons and make sure they're facing the right way to fight back against airpower. I never said anyone had things like jet fighters. It's more VTOL low altitude gunships and the like. Besides, what dwarf in thier right mind would trust anything that requires internal moving parts and suction? Only humans would make something that rediculous! (I like to imagine just making the engines for such a thing would result in many MANY worker getting killed, since this is DF. Hence why nobody wants to try it.)

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: July 26, 2012, 07:48:44 am »

I liked the write up of Parasol favoring !!Science!! and !!Science!! based weapons, will try and add that into my next bit of prolouge.  However just got done with a 14 hour shift, time for sleeping.

E: I am my own worse Grammar Nazi.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: July 26, 2012, 07:53:49 am »

E: I am my own worse Grammar Nazi.

Or not.... LOL
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: July 26, 2012, 08:12:34 am »

Sorry about getting the name wrong, i was trying to point out what you did with Talvi's imaginary friend. Sorry i also got cranky. I'm waking up early for this thread, and it has an effect on late night me.

Now, i wasn't saying "yes or no, pick now". I was saying if you definitively did not want this story line, i'd drop it, but if you were still open to the idea, please help me develop it. I enjoy being detailed, but i like it more when i'm not the only one making story stuff. Half of the questions you asked were things i hadn't considered at all and had to scramble to come up with. I just would prefer it if you would help me make this as bulletproof as you like things to be, since you say you can still be sold on the idea.

EDIT: This might be the only plotpoint that's truly proofed against Mr Frog's bullets.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 08:20:25 am by Xahnel »

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: July 26, 2012, 04:07:23 pm »

And Now time for more Prolouge.

Draco's Belongings

Now its time for another fourteen hour work day, ...joy.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: July 26, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »

No replies to a story post for three hours? For shame. It's good Sankis. About time we had DIRECT Parasol involvement.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: July 26, 2012, 07:08:24 pm »

Stone INC is a oxymoron. it is a large company that trys to be nice, has advanced technology that makes NASA look like a bunch of cavemen, can fly by manipulating gravity and have very limited material. they are fort builders and defenders. most of there guff is in turrets or has almost no ammo. so attacking is a piece of shit and defending is okish. also, SPACE. they developed there own portal that that requires SPACE. so, if they do attack, expect blocks of ships flying from SPACE, landing troops with insanely powerful weapons(i.e. micro missiles aimed at obsidian hearts.) but they are relativity nice. just dont piss them off.

basically, dont mess or your DEAD.
ninjaed
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: July 26, 2012, 08:43:37 pm »

Contentless bump. :/ Maybe I'll do write up an update here in awhile.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: July 26, 2012, 09:03:42 pm »

I've noticed the low activity too... Splint, anything exciting happen that isn't top secret?
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 815