Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178048 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3795 on: August 01, 2012, 09:20:24 am »

Seems to have been staved off thusfar. And as long as there aren't any open wounds they seem fine (Corai didn't lose any blood for example.)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: August 01, 2012, 10:25:20 am »

Soap! We really should make a lot, just because you can't have enough.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: August 01, 2012, 10:27:34 am »

Nah, if I spend dwarves making soap to imrpove injury survival I won't have enough workers to build my giant memorial to the phrase "Go fuck yourselves."

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: August 01, 2012, 10:55:35 am »

At least get the workshops ready to go, so another overseer can get the job going.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: August 01, 2012, 01:28:17 pm »

A crappy drawing of a cloaked Mountain Barbarian warrior armed with a Falchion

Note the helmet, with the brass bit around the face designed the emulate the Holistic Spawn's maw. Also smeared over the brass is some black warpaint.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: August 01, 2012, 02:05:02 pm »

I'm gonna be distracted for the next day or two. Minecraft 1.3.1 is out, and i have to update the texture pack i made.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 02:13:56 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: August 01, 2012, 02:57:12 pm »

I have good news and more good news gentlemen, my work is done and I can finally start playing shit again.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: August 01, 2012, 03:10:17 pm »

Aseaheru holding an extended coherent discussion?
I've had around 235 of them, this is just the first one you've seen >:( so there.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: August 01, 2012, 05:16:57 pm »

No, wait, nevermind, i'm done. Thought that would take longer, honestly i did.

Splint, Rose's character screen?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: August 01, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »

Aseaheru holding an extended coherent discussion?
I've had around 235 of them, this is just the first one you've seen >:( so there.

... You can count how many coherent conversations you've had? This is interesting.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: August 01, 2012, 11:43:08 pm »

I'm considering writing a story post from my phone. Anyone bored enough to want to risk that?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: August 02, 2012, 12:17:35 am »

@Talvi:

If the ponies bug you that much, I can pretty easily go back and edit them to be elcor or something. Just say the word. They're not nearly critical enough to risk an artistic schism.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: August 02, 2012, 12:40:05 am »

Mr Frog, i had an idea for the eventual reveal (provided one of us doesn't die): we roleplay it (in private), and post it as a collaboration story post.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: August 02, 2012, 05:49:51 am »

I don't see the problem. If Talvieno doesn't want to write them, then he can just not write them. I can take care of the corruption myself thank you very much. Personally I find thier presence funny as hell. Plus one got murderized and dissected, and several have died "off screen" as it were so they're just as death prone as everyone else here. Both sides rejoice!

EDIT: For typos.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: August 02, 2012, 06:50:17 am »

@Mr Frog: No, no. Don't edit your posts to take them out, you already included them, and Splint took the idea and went with it. The only reason I didn't want them in the Spearbreakers thread was that the happy, colorful things clash terribly with the general dark theme. Asari can be made stupid and cavy girls and frog men can be made evil, but ponies are always happy and cutesy. It just seems... un-DF to me. I can imagine sci-fi universes with DF, but ponies... not really.
Honestly what's bugging me more at the moment is that I can't find a way to finish Vanya's story without leaving a huge number of plot points unexplained. :-\ I guess I'll PM you and Splint the problems.

And I'm posting this here, so that nobody gets further confused, or writes up another continuity snarl that takes me a few days to untangle... I was going to try to establish the laws in a story post, but it appears it needs to be done faster than that.

Spearbreakers Laws of Interdimensional Teleportation
Due to the conflicting ideas over what teleporters are capable of, our teleportation idea seems muddled. We have spies secretly porting in and out, Mr Frog and Draconik managed to land outside Spearbreakers without alerting the forces inside, there's Splint, Hanslanda, and then I have a whole slew of characters porting in and out, and choosing Mr Frog's portal (the only one in Spearbreakers) to do it. After MUCH thought, I came up with an explanation that works.

• Portals work by establishing wormholes between two sets of dimensions. Don't ask how this works, because wormholes are impossible in real life. We're ignoring this.
  • There is ONE outbound portal device in Spearbreakers. This is in Mr Frog's room. It's small; we can call it a "miniportal".
  • All our universes and bubble universes share the same laws - that's been demonstrated already. Otherwise weird things would be happening like the ability to taste gravity. That's the definition of a different universe - the fundamental laws are different. Thus, these "bubble universes" are attached to the outside of the main one - the Spearbreakers one.(Imagine a floating soap bubble (main universe) with smaller soap bubbles stuck to it (bubble universes), and that's a pretty accurate depiction of how it works... but outside three-dimensional space... Parasol used to be attached to a different universe, but they attached themselves to Everoc's universe. With this established, it takes a huge amount of energy to go back in time or switch timelines/main universes. This is why megaportals (explained further down) are larger, and also part of why people don't really do it. Parasol did it once, to save the Everoc universe from being destroyed by Armok, but that's the only instance when it's been used. However, at the same time, it attracted the attentions of Ballpoint and Stone INC. Doing something big like that can't be done in secret.
  • Wormholes created by miniportals are confined to a single universe and its bubble universes. They can't time travel, switch timelines, or go to other separated universes.
  • Eris has a huge portal sunk into the ground; we'll call it a "megaportal". Megaportals allow you to switch timelines/travel through time/switch main universes. However, actually using it to do anything but switch universes is considered taboo - nobody does it. Unless you're evil and you want me breathing down your neck.
  • Ballpoint has megaportals too, and so does Parasol. Megaportals also have the advantage of being able to transport large vehicles like Splint's moghoppers and octavians (or whatever they were called).
  • Any size of portal can establish a connection to anywhere, without needing a portal at the other end to hold it open. This is unlike Stargate, but it's a necessary law.
  • Communications devices can create portals on the near-microscopic level to convey signals to other universes. Not all communications devices have this function, and those that do are expensive to manufacture. This explains our occasional interdimensional communication, such as Joseph talking to Mr Frog.
  • Portals log all places they've been linked to. This information can be read or deleted, provided you know the passwords, and provided you're standing at the portal when you attempt to access the information. Frog keeps his deletion password unknown, thus, agents who use his portal can never delete their coordinates. However, he never checks these coordinates either, much in the same way he's always forgetting to lock his door. I'm guessing Draconik managed to read Mr Frog's coordinates. It's the only way to explain his post that I can think of, and if it's what he did, there were a lot of missing details.
  • Portal consoles can be activated by remote control, provided you're standing in the same universe. This is necessary for the next law.
  • Mr Frog previously invented a device (a "portal bracelet") that can create a wormhole back to the last portal console it was attached to, and activate it the same way as a remote control would, making the miniportal create a portal near the bracelet's coordinates. Mr Frog is the only one who has this technology, though I suppose that can change if deemed necessary... At the moment, bracelets only work with Mr Frog's portal console, as he's modified it. This bracelet circumvents the following problem by using interdimensional triangulation.
  • You can't simply call up a friend in another dimension and say, "Hey, can you send me a portal to pick me up? I'm at 302093.399392,2034991.33300, -993384.33,39944,-183857,10038." You have to go to a predesignated zone and tell your friend to activate a portal there. I'm guessing this is because you can't possibly figure out your own coordinates. Good example: Do you know what your current coordinates are relative to the center of the universe?
  • It's possible to establish a portal directly into another portal, like in Stargate. However, most people just don't bother. Megaportals "attract" incoming wormholes, so that it's more likely they'll land there instead of somewhere else.

This fixes ALL the myriads of plot holes and apparent continuity snarls involving wormholes. I doubt anybody will break them, as none of the above have been broken so far, but I want to get them up just to make sure.
The continuity snarl has been struck down!

If you break the above laws and I have to untangle yet another continuity snarl, I will end you. (kidding, but seriously.) Can you really imagine me ending somebody? (look at my cute little cuddly-wuddly avatar)

(It's getting harder for me to kill portal plot holes at this point, and I'm getting tired of having to figure it out. :P I figured I'd better get these laws up before all hope of having a snarl-less Spearbreakers is lost.)

edit: actually, I'm going to unspoiler this... just to make sure everybody sees it. I've been untangling snarls in the shadows for a while, and fitting it into my story posts isn't easy.
Spearbreakers, meet Dark Talvieno. lol

reedit: Awesome picture, Splint. :) How far'd you get with Spearbreakers yesterday?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:08:55 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 815