Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178250 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3810 on: August 02, 2012, 07:54:15 am »

I didn't. Today is my plan to play some Spearbreakers, after I finish the MW3 campeign.

Also, I don't have any agents using Mr Frog's personal portal. If you noticed, the contractors have access to small packs that can create an ungated portal (as you mentioned.) However these require an operator to remain at thier position and keep the thing from malfunctioning/shutting down on its own.
 These things are however only issued to Recovery units that aren't bringing vehicles to bear.

Moghoppers are combination drop/gunships.
Octavias are Ballpoint's APC/IFV unit. Parasol has thier own, and Eris either has thier own design or are more likely using an older one with upgrades. this is just clarification.

And clearly you missed the bit where a pony was killed and dissected. And the mention of several being killed "Offscreen," implying they aren't so sweet and innocent and have adapted to a violent hateful world suprisingly well (though as a species they have thier own natural tools of magic, brute strength, or flight, which had alot to do with them doing well here I'm guessing.) Plus I'll just say, they can be grimdarked right to hell quite nicely.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: August 02, 2012, 08:44:54 am »

Sorry, rereading what I wrote, I kind of feel I came off as being rude, or a jerk... wasn't my intention. :( I just don't like continuity snarls or messed up science. A lot of it you can explain away to the laws of the Spearbreakers universe, but past a certain point it turns into a continuity snarl. 2012 is a particularly touchy subject for me, if its advocates try to explain their doomsday theories away with "science" - I once got onto a whole crowd of people on youtube and held my ground while they quoted their fictional science (fi-sci? lol) at me. Ended with them retreating to "the Mayans said so". And I felt like a jerk. (which I probably was.)
Sorry if I stepped on your toes, or anybody else's. I'll reedit my post to make it sound less... mean.

I know you don't have any agents using Mr Frog's portal. :P The contractor's packs work well with everything else, so no problems there. (I imagine they'd be pretty large and conspicuous, though)

I knew what the moghoppers/octavias are (got the second one's name wrong). Read your stuff. :) Technically, nobody's a problem here (yet). I just got kind of fed up with figuring out continuity snarls, that's all. Nobody in particular has pissed me off.

And no, I didn't miss the pony being killed and dissected. I actually smiled when I read it... (yes, sadistic of me.)
Do whatever you want with the ponies, I won't object further.

Again, sorry if I offended you. I'm not sure if it was, but I read your reply as being defensive. :-\

edit: lol. I feel like Mr Frog. :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:56:27 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:06 am »

Can you really imagine me ending somebody? (look at my cute little cuddly-wuddly avatar)

die laughing? :-)
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: August 02, 2012, 09:10:28 am »

Not a problem taking delight in the little diabetes inducing quadrupeds being chopped to bits. Like I said, they can be grimdarked RIGHT TO THE BOWLES OF HELL!!! MUHAHAHAHAHA. I know this because they lend themselves to it suprisingly well in skilled hands.

I wasn't being defensive. You left out my gate-packs and got the name of my APC wrong!  (just kidding. Just felt the need to clear things up a bit.) Also: I doubt that anyone here would object to the thought of having those little diabetese-inducing freaks being shot and chopped up. And yes, pony mutilation/maiming/killing/dissection FOR !!SCIENCE!! is being encouraged here by a brony. And may be a regular occurance when I roll around to the seige on Sewaturet (Hey, they had to earn thier place somehow. City has a little of everything except manamaids in its SDA. Mostly because they felt sicking manamaids on any aggressor would be a war crime AND a crime against nature itself.)

And thank you for noticing the picture. Still sucks ass though.

EDIT: SO an OOC update: Hakah had a busted arm and biscted two spawn and one shotted another with an upperbody shot before he passed out. He killed the last three of the first ambush squad.

Niccolo did the same, oneshot stabbing the spawn in the chest.

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. !!SCIENCE!!(34.11)
« Reply #3814 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:20 am »

Parasol has four other agents who managed to provide coordinates to higher ups in Parasol, Draconik is there because someone re-introduced the Spawn onto Everoc and some levels of clean up mandate upper management being there to pull the Trigger (Draconik is Head of Lab Six's Bio-Weapons Department) however due to the nature of some Triggers the likelihood of return is smaller than winning the lotto and being struck by lightning thriteen times in a row.  Hence why his assistant got promoted on his way to spearbreakers.  Also Since Mr Frog's Portal is the only one at Spearbreakers and the nature of Draconik's work (and the fact that he's got Parasol logos on his coats) gating to a drop-off point and walking was a safer option than waiting for Mr Frog to leave his gate for two minutes (and now that you can access who's used your portal theres now the context of it was safer).

I Like how we have so many Scientists at Spearbreakers but they all seem to think of it as a backwater (and in some cases hellhole).
*Draconik returns to Observation of Spawn combat habits.* (oh and yes all four other agents are "Medical" staff, never send a pair of assassins, a spy and a semi-psycho middle manager to pretend to be doctors WITHOUT sending a doctor for them to mimic, Parasol has learned this from Spearbreakers.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: August 02, 2012, 10:35:13 am »

Plus Kannan wasn't exactly the best doctor period. But then most of what he learned he learned on the fly (and by accidently several dwarves) so it's possible the permastaff learned all thier horrible medical skills from him. :P

EDIT: On three seperate occasions, I have given the humans 10k+ profit. And I don't think I made a dent in all the shit we have laying around.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: August 02, 2012, 02:18:20 pm »

15th Galena, 207.

That abnormally tall girl named rose kept insisting she be given a weapon of some kind, and has been smacking me in the back of the head every time we pass. So I've had her a room dug and given her a shield and a pitchblende hammer. Talvieno decided to throw a party. Said something about hearing I ordered cavies from home for her.

17th Galena, 207.

Took a few days to moves the bins laden with piles upon piles of shit we wanted to be rid of. These boys will be making quite the handosme profit, if they get out alive. I'm not very confident in that, knowing our luck.

The merchants are also now within the walls. They Chose to use-

No! Not now! Why now!? I heard cries of spawn attacking! WE DO NOT NEED MORE SHIT!!!! 2nd Squad's closest, they'll have to thin them out!

One of the guards struck first according to the reports, knocking the lead spawn on its face. Someone forgot to unlock the front door to the barracks, but thankfully Paintbrush had the sense to do so before charging out with James and Hakah, the rest moving through the main fortress (or going for thier gear.)

Paintbrush said James made contact first, cleaving the upper body down to the liver, though the beast laughed at such a feeble, to it anyway, display of hostility. Appearently the leader was quite strong, or had a thick neck. it was struck in the head several times by both man and dwarf. Also James felt theneed to try and take a chunk out of it for no real reason.

Overall, it got to be quite the mess. Another ambush party tried to jump in, and went down aswell. Hakah was bitten, but thankfully it was just a nasty bruise on his face. He also recieves a broken arm, but for some reason he was manageing to wield two sheilds and two axes. Looks like he'll be getting a copper heart. Evidently to him, getting one of his arms broken was just a minor inconvienence.

[Yeah. that was his idea of a minor injury. He got his arm busted, and to him it was minor. I think his idea of a major injury is only the ones that kill you instantly.]

According to Fischer, with his arm broken and great agony pretty obvious on his face, he dealt the killing blow to the final three spawn of the first ambush. He promptly passed out.

Oh, and a mason seemed pretty oblivious to the danager, and kept working in spite of the horrors that wanted to rip his face off.

[1. The white block is the mason, still working. 2. that's paintbrush, who just oneshotted a spawn after bowling it over.]

According to Paintbrushturkey, who led the counter attack, several even attempted a retreat once thier leader was killed. That's a touch unusual for the spawn... They can't be getting smarter can they?

[Yep. They actually tried to retreat and got chopped to ribbons for thier trouble. Axes definetly make fighting spawn too easy. Gonna move 2nd Squad into the depot barracks and 1st to the iron one.]

After the ruckus had passed, thr report was amazingly only some stitches being needed for some of the human soldiers from claw induced injuries and Hakah's broken arm. I have since ordered construction of the Fist to resume.

17th Galena, 207.

The voices made themselves known again while I was practicing with my hammer. They told me to move the fist, and so I have.

19th Galena, 207.

Since Simon was on break I had a guardsdwarf named Granite (she evidently has a love of the stone. Lucky her, we have tons of it.) Bought basically every damned bit of food they had. I'm sick of plump helmets. Plus I'm positive Mr Frog adds chemicals to random ones when no-ones in the food stockpiles.

The humans brought many valuable metals, including rose gold, platinum, iron, and silver. I think I'll request more of these metals, and some black bronze if they have any. Just in case. Mixed in with the booze they brough, was golden blaze and sunshine, so a few dwarves with a preference to the drinks will be happy.

Evidently Granite was very generous according to the Guild Rep. Good. It helps put us on good terms with our surface dwelling allies, and it gets rid of some of the piles upon piles of shit.

21st Galena, 207.

In celebration of our victory, a party was held, and I decided to attend. The guild rep can wait, since I haven't spoken with some of my friends in some time. Several scouts of the spawn were also seen, one of them swarmed by the caravaneers. Aside from an injured dog nothing bad actually came of it.

The fist is also coming along nicely, and the barrels we pruchased  instantly found use for brining in the vast quanity of food we purchased. The fit's foundation along with two floors are finished. I'm honestly impressed. I've decided to have the fingers alternate between iron and gold should our supplies permit.

Talvi should be quite happy as well. The humans brought a cavy with them, which has since been purchased.

EDIT: The freaking game ninja'd me with a necromancer. They're still stupid, even by DF standards. Were the countless others not agood enough hint that necros will find no fun times here?

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22:39 pm »

Abnormally tall? Lol, did she gain a foot while no one was looking?
Yay update, i'll get to work on a journal immediately.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: August 02, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

I imagine she and mr frog have about 2-3 inches on most dearves, so it'd be noticable. Abnormal would fit as she's still short enough to pass for a dwarf, but tall enough to stand out, as is Mr Frog, though at this point Splint only registered it because he was getting batted in the head by her constantly.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: August 02, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »

Oh, did she fight the spawn?
And you still haven't told me what her likes are.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: August 02, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

Oh right, sorry about that. And no. I repurposed one fo the migrants. And since my squad is going to train the hard way like the army  should have been training (Although I'll admit, desperate times and all) She won't see action for a year or two. None of them will.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:07 pm »

So, splint, is cactus milk brewable? Rose is going to ask about the possibilty for the next update.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: August 02, 2012, 04:46:03 pm »

Frog's a gnome. He's almost exactly the same height as a dwarf, just not as broad.

E: Maybe an inch or so taller, yeah. And I guess when you're only five feet tall an inch or so of extra height can make one look pretty imposing.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: August 02, 2012, 04:48:53 pm »

Mr Frog, did you see my suggestion?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: August 02, 2012, 06:37:04 pm »

@X:

Was it the one about roleplaying or some such? Because I... think I responded? My Internet had cut out approximately 0.01 seconds after I hit Post, so it's very likely that it didn't get through.

In case it got eaten, I basically said that I'd be willing to give it a try were it not for the fact that you can't PM and I can't text (no cell phone).

@Splint:
Re: THEM:

If it ever comes up, it would probably would be best for the unicorns' horn-thing to just be straight telekinesis, with conservation of momentum that is centered on their horns. So if they try to lift something up, their horn experiences a force that pushes down, and they have to brace themselves accordingly; trying to push too hard will make their horns snap, and a broken horn is useless forever.

I think that pegasi should have light, hollow (and fragile) bones, with any muscles that aren't flight-critical being highly-underdeveloped and weak to further reduce their weight.

Anyways, the first draft of my next update is done; here's a teaser:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E: Wow, it's only 7:00pm and yet I appear to be the only one online. I don't think that's ever happened before.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:31:28 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 815