Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178629 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3900 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:01 am »

Yes... I like the idea of roving "herds" of Spawn. That sounds pretty good to me.     You'd have to be careful so overseers couldn't capture them and use them against enemies, though - or worse, tame them (though taming Spawn of Holistic sounds temptingly badass). I'd want to put them above AND belowground... just to make things more interesting.

Something else I want to point out: Spawn can already wear armor, provided they turn while they have armor equipped. Stova was wearing armor when she went down, if I remember right - she didn't drop it. A turned dwarf is a million times more deadly than a regular spawn, because they're harder to kill. Also, I think combat skills might transfer over, too...
edit: Paintbrushturkey beat me to it.

It should actually be pretty easy to have the spawn attack in frequent, large waves. This could be done using the popcount per region and setting it higher (if I remember right, it's been months since I last looked at creature raws). If you set the group size higher, you'd get bigger waves. This could wind up being terrifying.

Spearbreakers II would be set in a world ruined by bloodshed and war, and especially the Parasol/Ballpoint timewar. Resources would be rare, and Spawn would roam in huge packs, devouring and killing everything they saw (if they could set fire to things as they went, that'd be epic, too). The only survivors would be a few lucky civilizations that had hidden themselves away... and I imagine even they would be knocking at Death's door.

Then again, that's kind of how it is already. Compared to how things are now, Hell looks kinda homey. Even our dwarves have become somewhat demonic, chasing down the hellspawn and killing them with a few strokes.
Now the question is, which is the greater evil? The Holistic Spawn, or Spearbreakers?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:06:35 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: August 03, 2012, 08:06:21 am »

They do already have the ability to wear armor, as Talvieno said. Stova took a TON of stabbing and beating to kill. Far more than an unarmoered Spawn could take.

The future I intend to have will at least have this section of the world ruined and utterly uninhabitable. Weapons will have advanced to frightening cutting and penetration power,  but spawn are more prolific and some have grown to gargantuan proportion. So yes, roving packs of spawn will be possible. Just need seperate raws under different names. The roaming won't be tameable and will be trapavoid so they can't be captured and will be more akin to thier old incarnation, being eble to break down doors blocking thier way. Entity'd Spawn will be capturable, but still retain the ability to force doors open comparitivly stealthily.

Also I found out a workaround for hostility: Just don't give them [INTELLIGENT] or [CAN_SPEAK]

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: August 03, 2012, 08:17:12 am »

ehm beg to differ stova and ashabar are not wearing armor, it's lyign in their cells.... I just checked....

what was the zombietag again? chuck that in there for good measure (i think it was HATES_LIVING or something that should enable you to have intelligent in there as well ...
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: August 03, 2012, 08:19:59 am »

I think there may have been two zombie tags, but I know one of them was NOT_LIVING.

And that's Softa, not Stova. Stova was Splint's beloved.

Also, since when were the Spawn intelligent anyway? They have one purpose: killing. And INTELLIGENT adds both CAN_SPEAK and CAN_LEARN.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: August 03, 2012, 08:22:18 am »

my bad thought it only added CAN_LEARN ditch intelligent and keep learn then also shoudl eb fun watching spawn speak (or was that shriek?)

did stova get spawned? can't remember?
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A hopeful epic.
« Reply #3905 on: August 03, 2012, 09:32:26 am »

Spawn shriek. Technically they aren't supposed to speak.
11th of limestone, early autumn
by the gods... it was Stova... she... oh, gods... Stova turned into one of Holistic's Spawn... Splint couldn't bring himself to come see - he knew what happened. He knew she might do this... The human caravan guards didn't know what to make of it, but they started on her right quick. She was still fightin' them, even when they cut off her arms - she'd bite them wit her teeth, and she kicked like a demon... oh, poor Stova! What a horr'ble way to go!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She looked so hideous... she was so beat up, and she just wouldn't die! I dunno how she survived it... but she was writhing, and her shirt was ripped apart, her chest split open... it was like teeth! it was so horrible! She's still out there now... The entire militia is workin' on her, but she won't give up!

14th of limestone, early autumn
The battle's lasted three whole days before they finally put an end to her. She didn't die 'til they stabbed her through the heart from behind. It was awful...

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: August 03, 2012, 10:27:15 am »

Tavli, i just panicked for a moment because i thought another update had been posted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: August 03, 2012, 10:28:42 am »

Evidently they can speak though I imagine that'd it'd be a grating deep growling type of speech.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: August 03, 2012, 10:37:52 am »

Lol, sorry, Xahnel. :P Looking forwards to that journal entry, by the way.

Vanya's Journals, Entry 18
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:46:21 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: August 03, 2012, 11:00:12 am »

Beautiful Talvieno, just beautiful. As an OOC update, that makes two more necros who've met untimely ends. The latest had a run in with a dogs, Fischer, and Jack Magnus all at once.

Oh and we have a new spawn mascot. A scout has joined the barbarian spearmaster in the spike trap, minus an arm and a broken leg. All fo the bodies have been suprisingly promptly brought into the garbage dump, and the fist's arm is almost complete. The bitch of this will be the actual fist.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: August 03, 2012, 11:02:08 am »

anyways splint feel free to put my suggestions into the current spearbreaker raws, that should make spawn a sight more troublesome....

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: August 03, 2012, 11:04:34 am »

I'm just chalking it up to good bad bugs. I had a spawn wrestler in my group as an adventurer once. One of the toughest bastards I've ever had, till that arrow literally broke his heart.

On the plus side we now know things we didn't before and will have the ability to apply that knowlege later.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: August 03, 2012, 11:24:18 am »

you mean gems such as

getting your shit cut off is a bad thing? Even if you are a spawn! Especially if it's SPEARBREAKERS :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: August 03, 2012, 12:19:34 pm »

[The following is a Ballpoint Tech analysis of Sewaturet]

The names translate respectivly
Homo carbonum corium: Man of Coal Hide, otherwise called mountain barbarians. because of thier ancestry they are considered humans by Ballpoint.
Homo siluae: Man of Forest/ Forest dwelling man, Elves.
Homo Lapis: Man of Stone, Dwarves.
Homo odium: Man of Hate, Goblins.
Equum cogitatio: Horse of Thought, Ponies. Sometimes claled Equus Sapiens or more disparignly as just Equus
Insectorum caeli: Insect of Heaven, Sythod. Refers to thier extraterrestrial origin.

Manamaid's scientific name is taken from the west indian manatee, essentially meaning that it is a far more intelligent relative, though this is false and based solely off thier similarities  of appearence..

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: August 03, 2012, 12:47:05 pm »

You know, the fact that it's been established as canon that something went wrong when Ballpoint introduced the spawn in Everoc means that whatever is the cause of the differences from what was expected could also be causing physical changes to happen.  I wouldn't be surprised if such included the spawn's hides getting tougher, to battle how easily they are being brought down.  So if you want, that's canon justification for altering their raws to make them scary again.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 815