Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2200194 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #3945 on: August 03, 2012, 05:33:56 pm »

I think a major blockade is timezone difference and no relaible way for us to all communicate at once, and even if we had a way to come together to communicate, time and equipment problems persist.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: August 03, 2012, 05:41:42 pm »

As the guy who the forum registers as having been on for three days seven hours eighteen minutes, i volunteer myself as Coordinator.
I have no idea why this would work, but it sounds good in my brain.
Basic idea is, everyone gives me a way to contact them beyond this forum, and when people needs to talk, i alert the requested fort members.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: August 03, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »

@Talvi:

Don't you dare pull a dictionary definition on me. That's a cop-out and we both know it. Perhaps I should have used a better word instead of a clunky sci-fi-ism, especially if it really was that incomprehensible, but I personally feel that the context was more than clear enough and that you're intentionally being obtuse. And if it really didn't make sense to you, you should have asked me to clarify.

A "cop-out"? "Obtuse?" I was simply pointing out that you'd misused the word, had you intended your character to be the entire reason the Spawn existed. I hadn't realized that's what you'd meant. While you may have created the raws for the Spawn we're using, it seems preposterous from a story standpoint. What, a scientist creates a horrible monstrosity, then places himself in the middle of their lair, proceeding to craft sub-par weaponry for what would seem to him primitive savages? It's completely ridiculous. Perhaps if you'd made a point of your character possessing a certain mental instability, then yes, but as it stands, no. We have a complex problem involving the relations of our stories, the majority of which are largely standalone, combined with the necessity of everything being sensible from a logical standpoint. The only reason I could have for "intentionally being obtuse" would be if I was attempting to ignore any evidence that my logic is refutable, which seems exactly what you're trying to do, despite the revelation that the critical elements of your story's foundation are flawed.

I've admitted my original ideas on the plot are incorrect, but don't call me out on feigned imbecility when I'm just trying to make sense of this mess.

edit: I feel this is beginning to get heated. Should we take it to PMs to avoid an in-thread flame war?

reedit: I'd like to apologize for this post.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 04:07:30 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: August 03, 2012, 05:55:34 pm »

I've been making more of an effort to be open with what I'm working on, and though said efforts are still pretty lacking, I can only do so much on my end. The only solution for this sort of problem short of everyone posting a gigantic list of every single little idea they've built up about the canon is for us to run things past each other to make sure everything gels, which didn't happen here.

I'm just looking for possible ideas that can explain established canon problems and clear the confusion.  Therefore feel free to ignore all my ideas that clash with it.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: August 03, 2012, 06:02:12 pm »

PROBLEM: I have no cell phone and have better things to be doing then checking MocoSpace every few hours.

I think that the onus should be on whoever's writing to communicate with whoever their writing may affect. I can relay PMs from X (and vice-versa) through the MocoSpace.

@Talvi:

He helped create the Spawn and oversaw their release.

I was frankly worried that my character was a screaming Marty Stu, and voiced that a long time ago, but everyone was all 'oh, no, he's fine'. Perhaps I should have trusted my own judgment on that point, because those qualities that you're criticising him on now have gone unremarked-upon for months, and I'm now not sure whether I'd truly failed to communicate his backstory that completely or everyone was just being nice back then.

In my defense, I hadn't anticipated Spearbreakers becoming the massive narrative epic that it now is, and so I didn't really put as much thought into Mr Frog as I would have normally. I just smashed together a character for roleplay purposes and assumed that that was the end of it, which I guess the story is now suffering for.

I should have used my judgment before posting that comment, and apologize for offending you.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: August 03, 2012, 06:08:32 pm »

I actually wouldn't say this became heated. If anything this was an actually intelligent debate regarding a few slip ups or oversights on the part of the most prolific writers of the group, and the characteristics of the eldritch abonimations we rereleased upon Bay12.

I still don't see IC!Mr Frog any different. A cold-hearted, effiency minded prick who can occasionally show some measure of remorse for his past actions. Overall it's a kind of character I could never pull off. Now A father to his men, madness driven general ripper, slacker, or frothing homicidal psycho I can do.

Overall i think we've come to a consesnus of "We dun fucked up somewheres here," and that alone is an accomplishment on the internet.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: August 03, 2012, 06:15:48 pm »

Okay, that's it. Everyone, time out. Stop posting. Half hour cool off time. I'm playing mommy right now.
Tomorrow, i am going to go, and collect EVERY SINGLE STORY POST into one file, and read the bitch. I will apply three seperate firey bs filters to it, and nail down every inconsistency, and possible explanations. AT THIS POINT, I request everyone involved in the sci fi aspect of the thread pm me their interpretations of this so far, as well as a short profile of their character's histories, also to be checked for inconsistencies. I am going to find and plug each and every plot hole in this story, with an adamantine cork. I am asking for this because two reasons: i am not yet involved personally, and i read fast enough to conquer the hobbit and the lord of the rings septilogy (that's like trilogy, but with seven) in a six hour sitting, thus minimizing delays.
You guys are prolly gonna shoot me down, but damn it, i'm sick of this fighting, it's tearing us apart.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: August 03, 2012, 06:21:40 pm »

@X:

Do it. Please. We need a neutral third party without any stake in this shit. I'll relay any profiles or plot bits to you if needed.

@Splint:

I'm very upset and came within a hairsbreadth of a blatant personal attack (instead I settled for an implied one), Talvi's either deeply-pissed-off or is doing a fantastic job of accidentally emulating it. It is already heated.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: August 03, 2012, 06:23:11 pm »

We aren't fighting. I'd say the fact we came to a general consesnus of how badly things have gotten messed up on our own is proof enough of that. It didn't even have to escalate to obscene name calling we're so awesome at arguing.

Plus blowing off a little steam on things is always good. Nothing overtly bad happened afterall cause we're all semi-reasonable individuals. I say semi because we play Dwarf Fortress and that alone indicates SOME mental instability :P

EDIT: Ninja'd by the frog. My point still stands since he was able to avoid such a thing. We're all one big fucked up family and even if we bite eachother's heads off there's nothing anyone can do to change that.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: August 03, 2012, 06:29:23 pm »

We aren't fighting. I'd say the fact we came to a general consesnus of how badly things have gotten messed up on our own is proof enough of that. It didn't even have to escalate to obscene name calling we're so awesome at arguing.

Plus blowing off a little steam on things is always good. Nothing overtly bad happened afterall cause we're all semi-reasonable individuals. I say semi because we play Dwarf Fortress and that alone indicates SOME mental instability :P

EDIT: Ninja'd by the frog. My point still stands since he was able to avoid such a thing. We're all one big fucked up family and even if we bite eachother's heads off there's nothing anyone can do to change that.
Mr Frog is rapidly approaching his firey event horizon. And whil you make a good point, what i said held true. This is a fight, people are pissed, it's time to solve the problem or stop talking about it and let others figure it out long after Spearbreakers has been imploded in a blue hole (a black hole that doesn't rotate, very rare, twice as strong as a normal one, and painful to look at besides.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: August 03, 2012, 06:32:46 pm »

Pff. i've seen worse than this, usually fed by trolls. Even if we've gotten angry, we seem to have calmed down and that is what matters.

And we're so epic we'll make a blue hole when the fort divides by zero instead of a black one. Badass.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:53 pm »

And we're so epic we'll make a blue hole when the fort divides by zero instead of a black one. Badass.

Quote section.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: August 03, 2012, 06:44:54 pm »

... I'd truly failed to communicate his backstory that completely ...
Talvi's ... deeply-pissed-off ... It is already heated.
I should have used my judgment before posting that comment, and apologize for offending you.

It's fine. I'm not the type to hold grudges anyway. I was actually pissed off all the way back at:
I thought I'd untangled all the continuity snarls already. this is nuts.
It wasn't til the comment in question that I became defensive. I almost didn't post it - almost thought better of it. I actually almost PM'd it to you. :-\ but I didn't. I apologize for that.
I'm just tired of continuity snarls. When it comes to them I'm OCD. I have to have it make sense. I even lose sleep over it.

Xahnel, yes, please, if you could do that, I'd be all for it.

In the meantime, I did something to give myself time to cool down. Not sure if it'd be bad to post it, given how heated the conversation was recently, but it basically untangles everything (as far as I can tell)... a lot of it doesn't make sense, but... at least it works with the canon. it also totally skews my former ideas of everything. but the bottom line is (again, as far as I can tell), nothing in the timeline conflicts with any of our stories. (finally, as far as I can tell. I am by no means God.) Does anybody want me to post it, or would that be a bad idea right now?

Yes we were... but that's true. I suppose "obtuse" doesn't quite count as obscene, does it... :P

I keep getting ninja'd. :( And Corai, I was going to suggest that. lol
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:47:07 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: August 03, 2012, 06:49:09 pm »

I say post it. And I don't know what you guy's definition of fighting is. People who are fighting don't usually use such polite language. :P

No need to get bent out of shape. So a few snarls have been hit at least we made an effort to try and come up with some logical reasonings behind some of the damage. That's what matters right?

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: August 03, 2012, 06:54:47 pm »

Alright. Now, seriously, everyone with a stake in this scifi plot please pm your full interpretation of the plot up to this point, along with what you see as problems with the continuity.
Splint, i point out once again that this is about the politest site on the internet, which is why being called obtuse seemed to get talvieno going. "affably evil" says the trope page. Very nice, but capable of great darkness. That was a little of the nice darkness coming out, there.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 815