Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178435 times)

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4020 on: August 04, 2012, 05:48:43 pm »

Sweet bejeebus that's a lot of posts since I last posted  :o

Those railguns can't be emulated in DF at present. Therefore, as a handwave (I hate calling it such though) the ones Dorf!Mr Frog gave the dwarves the ability to produce traded a high rate of fire for destroy an APC with a couple shots type of destructive power.

Couldn't you just amp up the firepower of a ballista? Or did I miss a vital piece of plot?

And how's the fort been holding up? I'm dying to know  :D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: August 04, 2012, 05:53:17 pm »

Most of the posts concern nerdrage.  And the railguns in question are of the man portable variety. The way ranged combat works in DF makes rapid fire impossible except with ludacris FPS.

I got some railgun raws and fiddled with them to make them nightmarish engines of destruction a dwarf could bring to bear in with almost no hinderence aside from wieght (it's made mostly of steel.) Spearbreakers II, while largely unplanned since we haven't finished this, has weapons inspired by the fortress lined up and ready in many cases and have been introduced via the sidestories, among these the railguns.

However in the stories, the railguns fire like assault rifles, which can't be done in the DF game engine. So I have come up with them being designed witha  charge time of sorts, allowing the slugs to be propelled with devestating force. Even a megaspawn probably wouldn't survive a direct hit to the chest or lower body.

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: August 04, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »

To me, "railgun" just makes me think of a gun that fires a single projectile with a massive amount of force, but takes a while to reload anyway, so that makes more sense to me.

The nerdrage/arguing that happened the past few pages... I'd rather avoid getting involved (moreso since it's after the fact and I don't want to stir things up), but I'd still like to voice my opinion that Mr Frog, you should stick around and continue posting, but stopping your fic is completely up to you.

I enjoyed reading it - hell, I enjoy reading all of the story bits that get posted on here, regardless of how it ended up adding to the general clusterfuck of confusion - but if it stresses you out to write, and you don't wish to continue, then I won't say otherwise. I just don't want to see someone leave who's been around since the very beginning of this topic.

Hopefully my point of view won't be misunderstood. I can't consider myself a part of the "family" of regular posters since I've only posted a couple of times, but I truly don't want to see anyone leave. If I've misunderstood something myself, then I apologize, I read the last few pages this morning when I was still dead tired, so it's possible I skipped over/forgot something.

Now, onto more cheerful subject matter... the new poll. I completely forgot to vote on the last one, so I guess I should for this one :p I'm unsure which to choose, though. Torn between Vanya and Mr Frog, or maybe Fischer.

Anyway. I don't have anything else I can think of to say, so...

Also, I'm glad I remembered to spell Mr Frog without the period.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: August 04, 2012, 08:03:44 pm »

im the only one to vote for the frog? comeon!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: August 04, 2012, 08:08:20 pm »

I just had a scary thought.  What happens to a dwarf's soul if he turns into a spawn?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: August 04, 2012, 08:10:12 pm »

... Mother of god WHAT HAVE WE DONE.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: August 04, 2012, 08:13:54 pm »

There's not an "all of the above" option? Oh, and where's Urist and Hans?

Splint's railguns are uber. They pin anything but a bronze colossus (or a manamaid) against a wall, often sending them flying back twenty spaces. Interestingly, if they don't hit a wall, they usually just wind up with a bruised/broken limb.

Jack Magnus: If you post a few times, and you're a regular reader, I consider you part of the Spearbreakers family. And you meet both those criteria. I also second what you said about Frog. And thanks for considering Vanya. :) Glad to read that.

@Megaman: No, you can't edit ballista raws, as far as I know. Railguns work better anyway. Serrated disc launchers are fun, too, if you like bisecting enemies (or just general gore if you're not skilled).

edit: I have no idea... I hadn't even thought of it... I guess it joins Sankis' army... It's probably like selling your soul to the devil, but without the "selling" aspect... more like the devil flat out stealing your soul... that's scary.  :o
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: August 04, 2012, 08:14:56 pm »

... how long have there been spawn? 2 years? and no one has asked that?
Highly Opinionated Fool

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: August 04, 2012, 08:26:37 pm »

Whatever the answer, I think this should be listed under the TvTropes page as fridge horror.  But really, do we even want to know? :o

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: August 04, 2012, 08:36:33 pm »

Probably not. And I had cpompletely forgotten about the disc launcher I have't used them, in so long.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: August 04, 2012, 08:43:58 pm »

*smiles*

*smile ends*
Highly Opinionated Fool

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: August 04, 2012, 08:58:47 pm »

A dwarf who becomes a HS2 doesn't die. Therefore, their souls don't leave their bodies, until true death.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: August 04, 2012, 09:00:51 pm »

Thus, does thier soul know what's going on? You know, are they still in there, helpless to stop thier body's actions?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: August 04, 2012, 09:01:34 pm »

hopefully its just dreaming.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: August 04, 2012, 09:20:02 pm »

Of course they are fully conscious. This is Dwarf Fortress. It's like Yeerks from Animorphs. The host's mind isn't destroyed, they just lose control of their actions. A Spawn's soul isn't erased, it's ever watching, trapped in a nightmare.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 815