Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178075 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4050 on: August 05, 2012, 01:25:03 pm »

oh, that. glad its popular. i dont really like texture packs myself.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: August 05, 2012, 07:29:39 pm »

I agree with making sure everyone has clothes.  All the dwarves may be conditioned to accept horror, but it's probably best that we don't scare visitors away...  Scratch that, we should see if nude dwarves will keep all the gobbos and necros away.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: August 05, 2012, 07:31:23 pm »

They'll go insane without at least the minimum of shirt-pants-shoes. Kind of strange though for that to cause madness, even in dwarves.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: August 05, 2012, 07:49:29 pm »

They'll go insane without at least the minimum of shirt-pants-shoes. Kind of strange though for that to cause madness, even in dwarves.

You seem to be forgetting that these very same dwarves can balance out the death of the entire fort by eating in a really nice dining room :P
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: August 05, 2012, 07:56:13 pm »

Seems there's more to cause bad thoughts than good thoughs now. Plus just cause our dwarves are boozed up and given heavy doses of sedatives in thier food doesn't mean thier blind. It just means they can sleep at night while Ashsaber and Softa continue screeching.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: August 05, 2012, 09:31:41 pm »

Lol, how many dwarves are underdressed? How many are unhapppy? Would Splint accept being Drill Sergeant-ed by Rose?

Anyone wanna text? I'm lonely and bored. Almost all my freinds are no longer texting...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: August 05, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »

Too lazy to dredge up your number and I'm drawing something. Yes I'm being a bad little man.

And just my guards cause I forgot to assign full uniforms. So my avatar suffered too. And I don't mind belligerent wimmenz (Yes, I am indeed being humerously sexist.)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: August 05, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »

Too lazy to dredge up your number and I'm drawing something. Yes I'm being a bad little man.

And just my guards cause I forgot to assign full uniforms. So my avatar suffered too. And I don't mind belligerent wimmenz (Yes, I am indeed being humerously sexist.)

Your humer, it is making me want to tell fibulas. :P Lamest joke I've ever made. >.<
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: August 06, 2012, 12:29:54 am »

Then count on Rose applying a swift boot to the rear.
"You can go one Armok-damned day without booze! I was on quarter rations the entire way here just as a toughness challenge! DON'T TELL ME YOU NEED BOOZE TO FUNCTION! HOW ABOUT YOU FUNCTION WITH MY BOOT UP YOUR ASS?!"
Though, anything she tells him to do, she'll do. So, pushups for him means pushups for her too.
She's a fair drill sergeant. ;P

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: August 06, 2012, 02:30:52 am »

From the journal of Sus III

It has been quite a while since I last had time to write a journal. Most of that time, I've been in and out of the hospital, drugged out of my senses. I also seem to recall, albeit faintly, that shifty Mr Frog character jammng needles full of his "experimental curatives" into my arm every now and then... Or maybe it was just a drug-addled hallucination or a fit of sobriety? I don't honestly know anymore...

Still, I think there is something seriously amiss in this fortress. Mostly the hospital; before Mitch rearranged the whole thing, it was but a glorified morgue where the dead and dying lay in their own filth, unattended for days on end. Now, there seems to be more active "care", though I use that word with the proverbial pebble of rock salt... Some of the things going on in that place have nothing to do with making the patients better, and some seem to have an outright opposite effect.

Speaking of Mr Frog, he has been acting strange lately, even for his usual, cryptic self... He seems different somehow, as if he was unsure of who he was. I referred to a recent talk I had with him the other day, and he just gave me a blank stare like he'd forgotten all about it. He's also spending quite a lot of time with that strange vagrant girl and her friends, Urist and Hans I think they're called. Were I the suspicious type, I could swear there's something fishy going on with the four of them. As it is, however, I'm just glad to be back on my feet again, so I'll play it safe and just steer clear of any strange business...

What else? Oh, it's raining blood again, mountain barbarian blood to be specific. Smells like over-cooked bacon. Also, a couple of necromancer's apprentices have been giving us a bit of a bother, although nothing like the disaster that got my cousin, that blessed foolhardy dorf called Sus I Bibandeler, killed. Our military seems to be well on top of things for now. In other words, it's pretty much Tuesday for Spearbreakers. Oh, and a human caravan made it through, that certainly merits a mention. They brought a nice selection of drinks, though I myself find human beverages a bit watery to my liking.

P.S. Splint held a big party to honour the heroes that finally ended the undead menace. He made a big speech too, saying he would draw up plans for a great monument of some kind, to "celebrate the undying Dwarven spirit", I recall he said. I kind of agree; after surviving so long in this hellish place, we're at least entitled to some sort of display of our pride. I guess those lurking Necromancers and Spawn ambushes will keep making trouble to any construction crews topside, though...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: August 06, 2012, 06:10:24 am »

Hooray for update (yes, I'm late)!   And awesome journal entry, Sus - pretty good. lol   Glad to see you back. :)

Your humer, it is making me want to tell fibulas. :P Lamest joke I've ever made. >.<
lol - I laughed just because I didn't expect you to make puns.

Splint - could we have a list of the dorfs that make up the Fortress Guard?

And finally, Vanya story update coming soon!

edit: Wait, Talvi organized a party? :o Sounds like I need to make a journal entry or three for her.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: August 06, 2012, 09:47:12 am »

Another update of V's journal. I'm a bit rushed today, but no worries - Hans and I put a lot of work into this piece (and he'll be showing the mission from Urist's and Hans' point of view before too long ;D ).

Vanya's Journal
Ballpoint Mission, Part II

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:35:27 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: August 06, 2012, 10:41:19 am »

Oh damn. Excellent work. I have to wonder where they got the guns though; Mr Frog had given them melee weapons and the only gun he had was basically a mag-cel equivelent of a zip gun (The man isn't a gunsmith afterall.)

But this also raises a question of how did OG!Frog get his PEA from Ballpoint at Eris.... Oh god I just made my own brain hurt with that.

Sorry I didn't get another update done. I instead drew my interpretation of Vanya in her full equipment disguise (Complete with a fake smoke grenade!) It took longer than I thought it would.

Edit: We also have two new additions to the mascot list, as mentioned: Danman Nimarkob, a Barbarian War Party leader, with two broken arms, and Setnek Nilnalthish, Holistic Spawn thief who's arm popped out and both legs broke.

Fortress Guard list

Megaman Duralkol - Guard Captain/Playerdorf
ThatAussieGuy  Eshtannicat - Playerdorf
Gold Amosttimnar - Likes native gold
Brass Amber - Likes brass
Longland Adilbasen - Likes to drink longland beer
Marmot Osthinrith - Likes hoary marmots
Stibnite Taditon - Likes stibnite
Acacia Asteshekast - Likes acacia trees
Granite Onuldakas - Likes granite
Marlin Amostekast - Likes to eat marlin

They were named after something they like if unclaimed.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: August 06, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »

The guns will possibly be explained in Hanslanda's update... Now you have another reason to look forwards to it. ;) As to the PEA, Busta!Frog doesn't have it. OG!Frog does, but Vanya scooped a large number of unrelated PEAs into the backpack she stole. Maybe they'll prove useful, maybe they won't - either way, she failed her mission again. Wasn't her fault this time, though.

If you wouldn't mind posting it, I wouldn't mind seeing your interpretation of Vanya. (hint hint)

Finally, I'd thought we had more than two named dwarves in the military. :-\ Huh.   Oh well. I'm sure Megaman and ThatAussieGuy probably wouldn't be that happy with their apparent lack of clothing. :P

edit: fortress guard, not military.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:13:52 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: August 06, 2012, 12:12:17 pm »

That's just the fortress guard. Most of the claimed dorfs either perform vital functions or are members of the Automated Fuck You Machine that is our army.

EDIT: Also, I'll post it when I have the drawing of her in her normal fortress attire done, along with Mr Frog (the joke for Mr Frog's pic: Cave Moss shouldn't be doing that.....)
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 815