Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178335 times)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4215 on: August 09, 2012, 11:18:55 am »

We could publish this. There are book printing companies that will run off a copy whenever one is ordered. However, i think any money made should be sent to Toady One, so he can makes even more Dwarf Fortress.

Using those publishers could be a bit expensive, though, as they would charge the cost of materials, along with shipping, handling, and whatever profit we would get. Could be maybe fifteen, twenty bucks. Unless we paperback it immediately.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:04 am »

I would go with sending the money to Toady One, too. Or at least any profit made from it. I don't think I'd mind paperbacking immediately, though. (most of the books I own are paperback, heh)

I don't think FPS death with be a problem. If anyone moves too slowly, Splint will probably kick them out. None of us want to go through an updateless "Will he? Won't he?" minireign again... :P

edit: that was so off-topic I think I might remove it. My brain must be mushier than I thought.
reedit: I did remove it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:42:53 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37:17 am »

Actually just under half the map is bloodrain free. Plus it's the tallest structure on the map right now, and merchants seem to prefer my open-air road into the depot so they have to pass right under its shadow. Any invaders coming into the map will be greeted by The Fist of RAEG no matter what direction they come from.

Things I've done
- An aboveground stature garden to fight cave adaptation.
- THE FIST OF RAEG, my first ever truely pointless construction.
- Added an at least respectable aboveground aspect to the fortress.
- Spikewalked a Spawn scout into mascotdom.
- Cleaned up the mess of bodies (also remains are now gathered up promptly and taken to the dump following battles now.)
- Disassembled the danger room. We don't need it anymore and that was a desperation measure to start with.
- Built a surface farm.

The garden and surface farm combined took the better part of four months to build and the fist took half my turn (started in hematite, finished in timber)

Quad ninja'd. screw you guys.

Off-topic
I got a new dog. Joy. And my idiot boxer is scaring her.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: August 09, 2012, 11:52:41 am »

Here ya go, Hanslanda. Think I'm going to have to get off for a while, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think it's ironic that it was you, Splint, the one who's been so crazy about keeping the fortress alive, right from the beginning, that decided to finally un-turtle and build aboveground.

Can't wait to see the fist. :) And the update. And the statue garden. And the road... You built a lot.

...wait. You built a surface farm? :-\

Off-topic
What kind of dog?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: August 09, 2012, 11:59:15 am »

A small one with a watch tower I've basically used up all the nonbloodplain building space for monuments :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: August 09, 2012, 12:41:37 pm »

27th Sandstone, 207. Intermitant Entry.
Mr Frog informs me we now have three "Uninvited Guests" roaming around the caverns.

Kob - A towering glob of water. Mr Frog says he managed to slip into the caverns and got a sample of it's spittle, which has some unknown effect but is at least slightly corrosive to copper. I could send fischer down to kill that one alone.

Ugeth - He called this one a human torch, just with less human and more torch. I wonder if we could rig up a water trap to eliminate that thing?

Thiliri Romigaretho - A huge dust exuding frog with no skin and hornet-like mandibles. We could mobilize the civil defense units to kill it at range, but Mr Frog says he wants it alive. How we'd go about that I have no idea. I've heard tell that Great Spinner webs can entangle them...

[Author's OoC note: I personally am all for cheating to capture certain FBs that are too dangerous to send Fischer after but Mr Frog would want for research. Just DFhack some webbing onto a trap for them. And I do think someone should kill that flaming FB, cause it lighting the caverns on fire is probably hurting FPS. Cave in traps run the risk of accidently killing them (which is gaurenteed if it yanks the support itself.)]

28th Sandstone, 207. Intermitant Entry.

I've decided to include some drawings since I'm bored out of my mind of the "Guests."

9th Timber, 207. Intermitant Entry.

The fist is nearing completion. It took a little over a week to get enough iron to finish the palm. However the sheer number of furnace operators allowed our iron stocks to recover exponentially.

Also saw a flock of ravens, and Loud Whispers spent some time on the top of the the thumb of the fist just staring at them for some reason. He left a note saying "revenge" scrawled on it everywhere with a picture of a raven on it.

12th Timber, 207.

Caravan from home arrived today. I actually think the humans are still loading up thier haul...

14th Timber, 207.

Since I wasn't busy (Rose was in bed at the time.) I've already begun placing our orders for materials from home.

Oh, and did I mention anywhere the humans ARE STILL TRYING TO LOAD UP ALL THE SHIT WE SOLD THEM!?

[ Yes. the humans are still trying to load all the useless shit we sold them up.]

We're also elevating by leaps and bounds! We're now a county of the nation!

The liason also mentioned being impressed by our little monument.

17th Timber, 207.

It's done.... It's FINALLY DONE AHAHAHAHAHA!!! YOU HEAR THAT VOICES!? YOU CAN'T JUDGE ME NOW, I HAVE A GIANT FUCK YOU SIGN ON MY LAWN AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

[EDIT: Fixed a date mess up.]

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: August 09, 2012, 12:57:20 pm »

Yay, update!

I'd like to personally adopt Ugeth, the flaming forgotten beast, if that's all right... You know, basically, I'd prefer it not to get killed. Yet. FPS aside, if you could keep it alive for a while, I think I'd find that very helpful... Not saying we can't ever kill it, but I'd just like it alive for the time being.
...Don't kill it.

The trade depot looks so... un-Spearbreakers now. :( I'm not sure I like the idea of all the random garbage having been Fastdwarfed up anymore.   (I'm sure it'll all be back within a year or so, though)

It's done.... It's FINALLY DONE AHAHAHAHAHA!!! YOU HEAR THAT VOICES!? YOU CAN'T JUDGE ME NOW, I HAVE A GIANT FUCK YOU SIGN ON MY LAWN AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
He's snapped.... He's FINALLY SNAPPED AHAHAHAHAHA!!!
dorf!Splint lost it? I thought for sure he'd be the last one standing, yelling, "FOR STOVA!!!" and charging the enemy.

Awesome that we're a county... You're now Count Splint, no longer S.O.A.P: Splint, Overseer And Pencilpusher. I imagine that's why we don't have any soap - you hated the name so much you banned it from the fortress. Hopefully Orodogoth has been set to start making soap... ...right?

And looking forwards to pics. :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:46 pm »

Actually the old wagon gate is still littered with junk laying around, mostly discharged bolts, and the remains of several caravans can be found based on clumps of random items just laying there. And I just flat out autodump most of it. I was going to trashcompact it but just clumping it into one space was enough to help FPS. And he hasn't completely snapped. he's hearing things and thinks his hammer is talking to him is all. Perhaps Stova really is haunting his hammer?

As far as soap goes I have no idea. Hell I don't think we even have a proper soaper's station to begin with, though our dwarves seem hardy enough to not need it.

Off-topic answer
A basset hound that got rescued from crack addicts.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: August 09, 2012, 01:11:45 pm »

my emotions are oddly mixed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: August 09, 2012, 01:46:30 pm »

Holy shit. I missed this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102730.msg3423525#msg3423525
This whole time I thought that Ecem and Bugi had gotten the PEA from Ballpoint. This opens up a whole new mind-boggling branch of the story that needs explained... How the fork did the PEA get to Frog's room at Spearbreakers in the first place?

Spearbreakers appears dead in that entry, though... ...did you add time travelers, Splint? :-\ If you did, the whole canon is gone past any hope of my ever fixing it with a single timeline.

Our dwarves will need it, trust me... Eventually, somebody's going to get hurt, and then they'll turn and hurt everybody else, and those that don't die of turning will die of infection. If we don't have soap. :P

EDIT:
Also, is this nominatable?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102730.msg3424906#msg3424906
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:53:25 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: August 09, 2012, 01:52:59 pm »

I figured it was pretty clear some timetravle was involved, what with them being worried about leaving stuff behind in a useable state and whatnot.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: August 09, 2012, 03:26:11 pm »

Actually, I think I got it figured out. :) With you placing those events so far in the future, it doesn't really conflict with anything and gives Mr Frog plenty of time to get his PEA back where it needed to be, so that Ecem and Bugi could pick it up later.

That said, congrats... You've created a timeloop paradox all by yourself. :P Still, good post.

I'm currently at page 180, 150k words, and the file size is 15 MB... not at all what I expected. Apparently Mr Frog and I posted more pictures during our turns than anyone else combined. :-\ scary thought.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »

Well I more implied that he had someone retrieve it for him and smuggled it into Eris' front, or it was simply a model he got from Joseph.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:39 pm »

You know, with careful application of "the future is unsure", we could have multiple /possible and visitable/ future time lines.

I'm considering having rose develop a crush on someone. Any volunteers/people that would be amusing, or will i call on the RNG to answer?
EDIT: Rose's idea of romance: "would you rather: A. Take me to dinner, or B. Be used as a nail?"
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:12:56 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: August 09, 2012, 05:28:19 pm »

So basically she's varying shades of unstable, violent, and batshit crazy?
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 815