Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178103 times)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4395 on: August 12, 2012, 07:47:15 pm »

Quotable indeed.

So, yeah... CallingRosescreamingthatcausefirst

;P

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: August 12, 2012, 07:50:45 pm »

Quotable indeed.

So, yeah... CallingRosescreamingthatcausefirst

;P

I vote that Fischer stare at Rose mid-sentence, then finish it for her.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: August 12, 2012, 07:56:45 pm »

and here's a random little story based on that (basically to make it look nicer to read.)

---

The soldiers of Spearbreakers stood in the great Microcline room, battered, some dead, many injured, but otherwise unbeaten. Though many of them were sore and tired and most of the animals were dead, they looked to the opening. Victory was within thier reach. They had gazed into the abyss, and the abyss had blinked first. "Come on!" Rose yelled as she hefted her hammer. "Let's burn hell to the ground!" She then stopped and considered that stament. "... Or wait, it's already burning, so-" "We're dwarves Rose. We'll figure out a way to burn it down anyway after we kick the tenents out." Fischer said as she began to hea for the opening down. "Tenents?" One of the axelords said, obviously confused. "Yes, Tenents. Because this is Spearbreakers and anything underneath it is our property. These things are just renting the space, and they haven't paid thier rent."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: August 12, 2012, 08:09:00 pm »

:o

QUOTE IT!
and now, if you excuse me:
  maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh, maniacal laugh maniacal laugh
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: August 12, 2012, 11:10:48 pm »

"This is Spearbreakers, and anything underneath it is our property. These things are just renting the space, and they haven't paid their rent."
Also nominating.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: August 13, 2012, 10:02:16 am »

Thought I'd get this up. I've been working on it on and off, and I think it's ready now.
A side note: I'm not going to be on much the next few days. Just letting you guys know.

Vanya's Journal: The Nightmare
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edited to appease Splint.
reedited because I'm picky about style. 8/14/2012
LATE edit: edited for clarity. 9/9/2012
ANOTHER EDIT: because I'm awesome. 11/27/2012
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:51:43 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: August 13, 2012, 12:32:35 pm »

And there's that damn idealistic view or what have you again! Gawd, no one listens do they? Nah I'm just kidding. Excellent work Talvieno. Shame you won't be on much.

It's amazing what watching a bunch of dwarves fail to bludgeon a giant to death can do for one's mood.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: August 13, 2012, 01:01:25 pm »

I think you meant "fatalistic".

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:40 pm »

I don't know where people are getting this place being under a state of compelete apocalypse. The Timewar story alone makes ir pretty clear that things are going well enough that most nations can afford to fight eachother AND the spawn.

The Spawn just REALLY don't like us is all. And yes, fatalistic is probably a better word.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: August 13, 2012, 01:31:18 pm »

I don't know where people are getting this place being under a state of compelete apocalypse. The Timewar story alone makes ir pretty clear that things are going well enough that most nations can afford to fight eachother AND the spawn.
Technically, those involved in the Timewar can manage a lot better than the dwarves can, with their extremely advanced tech (more advanced than what we have in real life), so that point doesn't quite count (or make sense :P). I seriously doubt that the dwarves have the extra resources to fight in the timewar.
Look at it from the dwarves' point of view - put yourself in their shoes.

If you don't look at it from a story standpoint, though, yeah, we're better off than we could be. :P I'm looking at it from a story standpoint, Splint. You've had the save for the past few weeks and it looks a lot cleaner and prettier for you - you're looking at it from a non-story, ingame perspective. Also, the journals are from Vanya's point of view, not mine.   She was sheltered to an extreme extent as she was growing up, and as a result, dark things have a tendency to look darker to her. I'm kind of disappointed that that's all that stood out in that whole journal entry, though. Still, thanks for the "excellent work" compliment. I'll be on when I can be.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:53:45 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: August 13, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »

Ah, yes. Forgot about the whole sheltered bit. And the reason dorfs are dumb enough to come here is that for the most part the fortress is fabulously wealthy, even if the bizzarictecture leads you to think otherwise ("Why are there copper doors that lead to nothing everywhere!?" - An unlucky goblin who got inside.) Honestly I think only dwarves who live here know what true horror is.

I won't lie, I kinda feel like our dwarves have a right to be smug assholes to anyone who doesn't live in the fort since they pout up with all that shit and still stay sane. Usually. And I didn't consider Vanya's an elf, so things most dwarves wouldn't even care about after a certain amount of time probably still hit her pretty hard. Afterall, the average dwarf's reaction to baby and mother being fried is "Did I know them very well? Was I related? No? Who cares then."

And it does so make sense! If only taken in the context of the most advanced technology that doesn't belong to a megacorp being manportable firepower... Besides that I added a uranium mug to that standing so that automatically rendered it a mutated pile of shit :P

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: August 13, 2012, 02:19:10 pm »

("Why are there copper doors that lead to nothing everywhere!?" - An unlucky goblin who got inside.)
I lol'd. That was great.

I think our dwarves have a right to be assholes, too. Especially to foreigners or people who don't live in the place. Really, in my opinion, newcomers would probably call it hell, if only figuratively speaking.

And I didn't consider Vanya's an elf
Spoiler: authorjoy (click to show/hide)

Afterall, the average dwarf's reaction to baby and mother being fried is "Did I know them very well? Was I related? No? Who cares then."
Technically, that pretty often starts tantrum spirals, so... lol

And it does so make sense!
Point conceded... Even if just by considering that most of our factions are from outside the spacetime-bubble anyway. :P If we're talking native nations, however... Well, none of the humans/goblins/elves are bothering to offer a full-scale war with us right now (so far).

edit: whoa, wait... Somebody used our pitchblende on mugs??
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:13:27 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: August 13, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »

I humbly request Bombzero or whoever goes next, that you kill the tree humper diplomat. Fischer needs some elves on her kill list.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: August 13, 2012, 02:23:36 pm »

I humbly request Bombzero or whoever goes next, that you kill the tree humper diplomat. Fischer needs some elves on her kill list.
I second this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: August 13, 2012, 02:33:30 pm »

QUOTE ALL OF SPLINTS SECOND TO LAST POST.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 815