Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178295 times)

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #4500 on: August 16, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »

And I'm not proud of the fact we have so many axe troops. Like I said, it feels cheap but due to the sheer number of enemies I couldn't pull punches. If the AI went for the instant killshot period, first would have been able to handle the mess and Fischer would have slaughtered the hive king and thensome and been able to keep fighting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And again, retraining them is pointless because the color coding is confusing as all hell. Sorry, but when it comes to weapons I have SEVERE ocd. If it says they're an axeman.

This is also known as compunding the organizational clusterfuck because they'll be listed as axelords.... forever. because they've used the damn things too much.

They're useful to have in a pinch like this yes, but I feel like every single overseer will rely on them if even spawn ambushes show up and that's part of that upsets me. They aren't the redshirts and shouldn't be doing most of the fighting. I've had to use them more than I would have liked already but I couldn't afford to pull punches due to enemies being near the civvies

That being said, we did kill or drive off alot of the siege; about a third of it said "FUCK THIS. NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE-ad infinitum-" and buggered right the fuck off the map after the hive king and his guards were slaughtered. And about half of that third got run down by a VERY angry second squad (1st squad as a whole was about ready to collectivly fall on thier faces. Otherwise they would have done the killing instead.)

Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: August 16, 2012, 08:10:11 pm »

THEHEHEHEHEHEHE!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: August 16, 2012, 08:22:25 pm »

The only ones that escaped were the ones that still had all thier limbs :P

And paint brush, I feel like your insulting my ability to operate the military again. I said to keep any advice to yourself, and yes they will stay listed as axelords even with pikes. Because that's their highest weapon skill, and that bugs the shit out of me to no end.

And I reserve the right to bitch about them ENDLESSLY. Like I said, if the AI did the smart thing (and that's too much to ask for with DF's AI thinking hitting the head will do anything on a no thought center creature) then I wouldn't have needed them period. 1st squad would have steam rolled them. And 3rd squad was used. I needed someone to clean out the spawn that dodged into the pits flanking the spikewalk. Regardless the sheer number of eneies is why they were sent to help 1st at all. I Couldn't afford to pull any punches as I said. And it was still sort of funny because only about a third of thier kills were with axes. The rest they basically shield bashed or punched/kicked the spawn in the chest and caused heart failure.... Actually now that I think of it that's how most of 1st got thier kills too.

Now, Paintbrush I am kindly asking you to stop telling me I'm wrong or whatever regarding the miltary.  I can assign uniforms, I know how to get them trained, and I know what works and what doesn't. These guys got dangerroomed out of desperation and that alone is a black mark against our army that will never be removed, but it was that or never see a caravan again. I work obsessivly with the DF military system, from supplying full uniforms, to ruthlessly drilling soldiers to the point they get shot and shrug it off like it's nothing. I RELY on soldiers to kill anything that needs killing. No traps, no magma, just cold iron and steel.

Sorry about the ranting and now I'll stop being civil, because I feel like I'm dressing the following up to appear like I'm not annoyed: Paintbrush, take your advice, and shove it firmly up your ass. I don't want it, let me fucking bitch, it helps me stay calmer than I'd otherwise be.

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: August 16, 2012, 09:11:10 pm »

As far as my meager knowledge of skills in DF go, I would assume the axedwarves would eventually change their title from "axedorf" to whatever weapon they're now using eventually - if it works the same as civilian skills, it'd likely be once the new skill surpasses the current experience in axedwarf skill. Which, I assume at this point would be stupidly hard to do, assuming most of the axedwarves are legendary+ by now, considering they're danger room'd. I'd say don't bother, considering that :/

I'm not trying to say "do this" or anything, since I honestly have next to no knowledge of military usage whatsoever. I just wanted to put forward what knowledge I did have. My apologies if my comment annoyed you, Splint.

Spoiler'd due to semi off topic:

Ah crap, I didn't even see I had a message in my inbox >.> Sorry, Talvieno.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: August 16, 2012, 09:16:55 pm »

Epic hammer Jack. And yes, they will change eventually but they're all rediculously high level axedwarves/lord. That's why I didn't bother reequipping them. Like I said, I have OCD, and the color coding not having the right weapon bugs the shit out of me. My update is coming soon and then, unless another big  critter thinking it's tough shit shows up the remainder of my turn will pass uneventfully (I have a week or so left ingame.)

On an unrelated note, my bodyguard detail began sparring during the fight, so Rose is doing a fine job training them. I'm annoyed that she's got macedorf skill though because I could've sworn she was a hammerdorf.

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: August 16, 2012, 09:23:21 pm »

I was not intending to insult you,
I would also advise you (and I frankly don't give a fuck if you want to hear it or not), with all due respect to drop the attitude, and read what i have written before you start going on a rant.
Lastly beacuse it cannot be said in a more polite way and telling you so politely in private doesn't seem to result in anything but insults to my person:
Now that this has been said, I for one will be getting the fuck out of here, as cool as spearbreakers may be these rants really spoil it for me :-/... let me know when my turn is comming up....
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: August 16, 2012, 09:26:08 pm »

11th Obsidian, 207. Intermittant Entry.

I and my bodyguards will be training in earnest now that there's a few months of time for us to train without those stupid diplomats running around. I may decide to welcome the elven one into my office, and the smash his head myself. And then have someone try and sell wood to the pointy eared pricks just for good measure.

[The Baron's hammers have been activated and should only stop training long enough to meet with diplomats. That is all.]

12th Obsidian, 207.

I've decided to return funtionality to the spikewalk by killing our little friends in it. I didn't see the fight, but whatever Mr Frog uses to keep tabs on things did. He said she tore out the spawn's heart, showed it to it, and then crushed it as it breathed its last.

[ This is what really happened.]

15th Obsidan, 207.

[A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!!!]

Seems we REALLY pissed the spawn's current hive lord off. He's brought to bear a composite force, including himself, numberous war bears and.... war badgers and dingoso??

[this was just a fraction of the enemy attack, but the list had thier leader too.]

[I forgot to snap a screen of the other two groups arriving near the front door and the spikewalk entry.]

I've decided to bring both 1st and 2nd squads to bear. Between pikes bring down the beasts and axes severing the spawn from thier limbs, the battle should end quickly. [I hope.] The drums sounded for the 1st and 2nd to assemble and prepare to meet the enemy. This would be it. We'll break the back of the spawn in this region for a good long time. I'm heading for the tower too, so I may watch the battle.

---

The writing resumes, a varyingly irritated and proud tone seeming to be in it.

Fischer rallied the troops in the walls and waited for the coming tide of enemy footsoldiers. She shouted a challenge so loudly that I'm sure she won't be able to scream at her troops for sometime, yelling at the spawn "VERY WELL SCUM OF THE WORLD! IF YOU'RE SO EAGER TO DIE, THEN THE ARMY OF SPEARBREAKERS SHALL GRANT YOUR WISH!!!"

Paintbursh met the enemy first, attacking the dingo that made the mistake of taking that corner without considering how pissed our soldiers would be at thier attack. He punched it in the eye with his shield, and then chopped the poor beast to ribbons.

Jack Magnus met the first spawn, ending it with a swift decapitation, it's corrupt sprit knowing a body with no means to find prey is useless. Paintbrush seemed oddly calm early into the battle, and then it hit: He'd entered a martial trance. While some claim the movements are more of a whilrwind I'd say it's just.... they become so focused on the fight that they seem to instictivly transition from one limb removal to the next. Easy to track, but sill messy to watch all the same.

As I looked out into the battle I realized something horrifying.... There were well over a hundred aggressors in the area... This isn't good.... I'll get back to you journal, I don't know if I'll ever be able to write again if they overwhelm 1st and 2nd squads...

-

Teeth. Teeth and severed limbs everywhere. And the battle isn't even over.... Oh gods....

-

[For Story purposes I'll say the spawn fell back in the face of heavy resistance at the end of the day. They then sent another wave of soldiers and animals to attack the same entry.]

16th Obsidian, 207.

Yesterday's fighting was absolutly brutal, and I wasn't even in the midst of it. so many teeth and severed limbs (and heads, and upper and lower bodies) flying everywhere. I know I saw one soldierdwarf get his hand chewed on, but when I had it examined after the battle today it was thankfully only a really nasty bruise. The dwarf got back at the spawn that bit him by biting a chunk out of its head. I saw at least three heads and a severed spawn body fly out of the battle, and Fischer seemed to be more trying to wade through the spawn to get to the hive king and his bear mount.

Mincer, the previously bitten dwarf was bitten a second time, also a bruise. In that time he said he'd blacked out from sheer over exertion and only the presence of his fellow soldiers saved his life. The two remaining dingos of the second wave seemed to know the battle was lost and tried to flee as thier handlers were sliced or stabbed to peices. Mincer shall recieve an Adamantine Cross for fighting on with a debilitating lung injury.

[This scene was as of 16th Obsidian. TEETH AND LIMBS. TEETH AND LIMBS EVERYWHERE.]

17th Obsidian, 207.

The enemy was seen filing into the spike-walk with thier badgers in tow. 3rd squad was positioned in the depot to await them, as any that survive will surely try to to penetrate deeper into the fortress proper.

Fischer also ordered our troops to hold thier ground while she faced the hive king and his guards alone. She said she alone would claim his head for her trophy rack.

Fischer Strifefulrope the Blanketed Convent, Commander-Champion of The dwarven  military fortress Spearbreakers, vs Rith Cellhelm, Hive King of the spawn warband [civ] The Lurid Famine, and his war bear Versul. First the bear was brought down, its forelimbs punctured and broken to bring its head low, where she slammed her pike into its brain.

As the hive king's mount died, he tumbled end over end onto the ground, at Fischer's mercy. Then as the Hive King's guard apprached, she entered a amrtial trance, and began systematically removing most of the Hive King's limbs, all while a second spawn and its own mount charged at her!

[Yes, a fucking bear SLAMMED INTO FISCHER and bounced off. BOUNCED OFF. She's is a living tank now. Because a bear is what, twice the size of a dwarf and twice as nasty on average?]

It seems being in that trance made her nigh unshakeable in the face of the enemy. Even a bear bounced off her. She seemed to be shaking with unquenchable rage as she tried to land a death blow on the Hive King.

All while she continued to perforate the Spawn Hive King and simultaneously warding off it's guards, I was also told something heartening.

A child became an adult, under the violent care of Fischer, who has, with the other soldiers of Spearbreakers, staved off the teeming hordes of enemies, thining them out for our great nation. It is because of our soldiers that this dwarf became an adult.... Now I feel my chooseing to take to the field when I and my body guards are ready was the right choice, as we too will be among the heroes protecting other dwarves so they may reach thier potential.

The fight continued, with the bear knocking over Fischer in her already stunned state, she quickly righted herself, and I saw her stick her head within the very maw of the hive king and came out with his teeth. HIS TEETH. AND SHE SPAT THEM IN ITS FACE.

Sady, as the enemy began encroaching upon her before she could kill the hive king, I could bear it no more and ordered Terrahex to sound the order to advance. I saw Fischer's concentration break as the enemy guard encroached on her fight, but then against better judgement, she roared louder than even the spawn themselves and flung herself INTO the nearest spawn, removing one of it's arms as she went!

I feel as though Fischer's greatest victory was snatched from her by circumstance... She passed out during the battle... Draignean came leading the reincforcments, with Jack being particularly Vicious, punching a bear in the head and bisecting its rider in one swift motion. Mr Frog also informed me of the enemy beginning to suffer at the spikes of the walk. Still sad... Though honestly if she'd just stabbed the damn thing in the chest a few times she'd have probably single handedly felled the hive king and his entire guard. But NO she had to try and nonsensically drag it out! And she nearly got herself killed and some pretencious grunt took her greatest moment from her! -The writing devolves into some incomprehensible patchwork of scirbbles, obscenities, and crudely drawn hand gestures.-

[Page upon page of them trying to crush her head like an overripe melon to the point they forsoke defending themselves. They REALLY wanted to kill her.]

Now that I've calmed myself I'll continue the account of the battle... I had nearly flown into a rage, having nearly pitched my hammer into the fray but the voices convinced me otherwise. Awl was reported to have gotten to Fischer first, gutting the spawn that had been repeatedly clawing her in the helmet with his pike. Draignean and Jack followed close behind, hellbent on saving thier fellow soldier and the fortress champion. The whole squad came roaring into the fray really, with 2nd squad coming in close behind after gathering thier wits. [Fischer's squad actually forced all but the completely crippled Spawn near her away or killed them. It was quite impressive. Draignean actually stood over Fischer protecting her though he was pretty damned tired by that point.]

Skitara claimed the kill on the Hive King, bringing the butt-plate of his pike down on the beast to keep it from biting at them and flapping about. When it uttered a pathetic cry and lay still, the other spawn began to break and flee, only to be slaughtered ruthlessly by our soldiers as they fled.

[The aftermath, Fischer is still unconscious, and teeth were still raining from the sky into the farm and such before the dust really settled.]

2nd squad reamined to watch over Fischer until she came to, with 1st taking a much deserved rest. 3rd was sent to deal with the spawn remaining who'd fallen into the pits along the spike-walk. Draignean, his manskirt torn in places, his beard frazzled and his normal narcissism missing, I honestly think I saw my old friend for the first time in years. He kept refusing help as he kept falling over from over exerting himself, claiming "I don't need your help! I WAS HERE LONG THAN ANY OF YOU!!" I think he was partially sober at the time of the battle, so his tumbling and  saying something nonsensical like that may stem from that.

18th Obsidan, 207.

Fischer woke up today, sore all over and with a massive headache, but otherwise unharmed; Paintbrush took his squad to deal with some of the suriving spawn and badgers near the spike-walk entry. It went as well for the spawn as you'd expect. 3rd Squad ran clean up, but Aseaheru was injured, but thankfully the initial bite didn't tear the flesh, but he sadly will never use his left arm ever again, as it shook him about and threw him into a wall. Kannan says it looked like he'd suffered extensive nerve damage, but he'll live.

[That's it for my turn. I doubt anything else will happen  at this point. It is currently 20th of Obsidian (I abstracted the battle into three days instead of nearly a week and in phases for it to be a bit more realistic.) If DFFD isn't being uppity I'll upload the save this afternoon. The siege isn't even fully exterminated, but the assault force was devestated so thuroughly we're no longer considered under siege. Pardon the typos, I'm sure they're numerous.]

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: August 16, 2012, 09:43:16 pm »

Fischer must be immortalised in these forums. S/he's becoming as much a Memetic Badass as Cacame is, or even Morul.

That was an entertaining read, Splint! Pity your turn's over!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: August 16, 2012, 09:47:23 pm »

Not quite but almost. You'll be up once 1st granite rolls around.

And now for mor Col. Fischer things

Col. Fischer can never truly become exhausted. She merely lets the enemy hit her so they don't see her squad coming up behind them.

Fischer is so powerful a pissed off bear can't even move her when it rams into her.

Fischer is such a badass she bites the spawn in thier maw, and spits thier teeth in thier face.

Not great, but meh :P

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: August 16, 2012, 09:48:29 pm »

Fischer is so badass, that when demons dig into the center of candy canes, they find Fischer.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: August 16, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »

Fischer is so badass, when we breach hell tentacle demons will run away screaming.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: August 16, 2012, 10:07:23 pm »

This is fucking great. 22nd Obsidian and another siege! Taking all bets, goblins or barbarians?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10:28 pm »

Ten mugs on gobbos.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: August 16, 2012, 10:11:28 pm »

You win already. And they brought 1 or more trolls. Time to look through who we have, because 1st and second still havent recovered from the last siege. Not fully anyway.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: August 16, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »

>Never dealt with the spawn before

on the other hand:

>Quite good at quarantining injured dwarves.

Also, I'm going to be starting my turn in Watchgleamed (elf war, necromancer tower, masses of vampires) on Saturday so I *might* need to be bumped down a turn or so, but we'll see.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 815