Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178209 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5130 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:55 pm »

And thus the other Spawn were born. Because Fischer got a few splinters when she beat the shit out of the contractors :P

EDIT: Damn it Sankis, I keep missing you by a few minutes  >:(

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: September 04, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »

I'm here now and aussie and I are in tinychat.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: September 04, 2012, 10:37:39 pm »

Evidently not. I think there's some connection lag going on here.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »

It's official:

To strangle a lamb is a new euphemism.

EG: Teasing Fischer would be strangling the lamb.

Very, very foolish move.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: September 05, 2012, 12:31:18 am »

... I... I don't get it...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: September 05, 2012, 12:44:28 am »

Tinychat joke... I was telling Splint and Talvi about how I threw a lamb at Ashsaber, who strangled it for three days before it died.

Then I realised it sounded like a bit of a euphemism... spanking the monkey, etc...
And Talvi made the euphemism mean "to do something incredibly foolish".

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: September 05, 2012, 02:56:24 am »

And now i get it.
Important lesson: when telling people about your new saying, context is important. Otherwise it's a Talvi-ism.

"then he ate the coconut. Shame really. I wanted to be that coconut."

(I think that's what she said once, i can no longer be sure.)

EDIT: rose is gonna spend some time talking to our caged spawn. Sample dialogue:
Rose: frig you're an ugly fella.
Spawn!ashsaber: -roars and takes a swipe at her-
Rose: -dodges, and smacks him- bad. No stabbing the nice girl who brought internal organs for you to nom.

I think she could totally make pets out of them, she's crazy enough to not be bothered.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:02:18 am by Xahnel »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: September 05, 2012, 03:16:56 am »

As it stands Dorf!Rose would probably be ripped to shreds by Ashsaber or Softa, but hey, whatever works for the story. Story!Rose is likely as nimble as any of the elite fighters.

Bear in mind that Ashsaber and Softa have not fed in some time, assuming that they do need to feed periodically. Ashsaber has had a lamb recently, but not much else. Softa has been starving, so they will be much angrier in combat, and hence, faster and more desperate.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:18:32 am by Reudh »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: September 05, 2012, 03:27:27 am »

Tinychat joke... I was telling Splint and Talvi about how I threw a lamb at Ashsaber, who strangled it for three days before it died.

Then I realised it sounded like a bit of a euphemism... spanking the monkey, etc...
And Talvi made the euphemism mean "to do something incredibly foolish".

I suddenly became uncomfortably-aware of just how out-of-the-loop I am. :(

In case anyone's wondering, I am working on a Thing -- with Talvi helping with editing -- and I do plan to start posting it at some point, but not until I've already made decent progress. I want to build up a buffer so that I don't feel as pressured as I did last time, and on top of that I can do more editing this way.
    Besides, in the event that I flake again, I figure that No Story is better than Perpetually-Unfinished Story with a side order of Big Melodramatic Apology.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: September 05, 2012, 03:33:01 am »

Story rose is more badass than game rose, yes. Because game rose was not trained in the proper weapon. Oh well. Still, rose would sit with them on a few off days, and toss them meat. I think that, story wise, a little companionship might be good for our resident spawn.

Weren't the two of them male and female? If so, what would happen if we did that "lock em in one room for a year" thing?

Would there be little baby spawn, that look so adorable in their eldritch abomination/zombie horror kind of way?

EDIT: Frog ninja'd.
All you gotta do is be in the thread more. We all miss you. You don't have to seclude yourself just cause you think you let us down or something.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: September 05, 2012, 05:23:19 am »

AFAIK wild animals don't breed if the only available animals are both wild.
Same with the animal men, I've never ever had an animal man announcement of birth.

And yeah, while on the outside Ashsaber and Softa would probably just appear to be mindless ravening beasts, Ashsaber and Softa's consciousness locked inside would probably appreciate someone brave enough to visit the beast they have become.

How poignant that is.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: September 05, 2012, 07:13:43 am »

lol, if she had been trained in the correct weapon, she'd still be a bit underpowered. But I suppose it doesn't matter, really. And yes... Ashsaber and Softa would probably like people visiting them. It's part of why Fischer visits them.

I had a scary, disturbing thought yesterday... If a pregnant dwarf turns to Spawn form, what happens to the unborn child?

edit, btw:
In case anyone's wondering, I am working on a Thing -- with Talvi helping with editing -- and I do plan to start posting it at some point, but not until I've already made decent progress. I want to build up a buffer so that I don't feel as pressured as I did last time, and on top of that I can do more editing this way.
    Besides, in the event that I flake again, I figure that No Story is better than Perpetually-Unfinished Story with a side order of Big Melodramatic Apology.

My favorite kind of story is the one that never ends. As long as interest keeps up in it, I plan to continue the Vanya story. :P I usually reach the end of books going, "aw, is that all there is?" I hate when they end, especially if they're good.

Orodogoth's character is supposed to be Dale Gribble/Mad Scientist. :P We collaborated on it a while, and I think I finally got it how he wanted it. Glad you guys liked it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:16:52 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: September 05, 2012, 07:19:50 am »

I would surmise that the womb would become inhospitable and the forming dwarf-child would simply spontaneously abort, as a Spawn even if it retained a womb would likely not have any placenta or similar; so far as the lore goes they're just humanoids with a heart, head, mouth and arms and legs. (And a torso.)

If the spawn do have placentas, the baby inside would still die. No oxygen passes through spawn veins, and the blood's too thick.

If by some rare trick the baby survived... let's say the placenta was still providing oxygen and nutrients, albeit nutrients scourged directly from the creatures the Spawn killed...

I'd say the baby would become a spawn, or the spawn would notice the growth in its body and attempt to extract it, possibly injuring itself in the process.

Any of those ways is massive nightmarefuel.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: September 05, 2012, 08:07:42 am »

I'd say the baby would become a spawn, or the spawn would notice the growth in its body and attempt to extract it, possibly injuring itself in the process.

Oh, ick...  :o
Spawn cancels Murderize: aborting foetus.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: September 05, 2012, 09:22:04 am »

I agree with the spawnbaby, living inside the spawn dwarf... The baby has the mother's blood, and the mother's blood is infected with spawnbite, so the baby would have the same infection...

Spawn have their fronts ripped open like a maw with rows of teeth... so when the mouth opened, you'd be able to see the spawnbaby inside. :o And it would have a chestmouth, too... That's definitely nightmarefuel.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 815