Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178866 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5190 on: September 06, 2012, 09:14:42 pm »

I just realised that Spearbreakers is pretty heavily militarised. Population of 120, 90 odd soldiers and 7 children.

Also I'm in the tiny chat as we speak.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:56 pm »

That's pretty much what I do when there are gaps that need filling. "Oh, you don't have any combat skills Human McExtrajewler? Don't worry, I'm sure these two axelords will be happy to teach you the ins and outs of using this poleaxe! Somebody has to replace the guy who died in that wrestling accident after all."

And heavily militarized was the idea, glad it's goin in the right direction, though you can't really count the two civil defense squads or law enforcment, they're just there to help out in a pinch/ keep order. :P

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:32 pm »

And heavily militarized was the idea, glad it's goin in the right direction, though you can't really count the two civil defense squads or law enforcment, they're just there to help out in a pinch/ keep order. :P

Shouldn't Fischer and the rest of the first 3 squads be more than enough?  Even the 29 non-Fischers are still highly-trained and very dangerous on the individual level, so the only thing I see presenting them a problem is the number of necros present reaching a critical mass, AKA reanimating bodies at least as fast as we can put them down, keeping us from actually reaching the buggers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: September 06, 2012, 10:11:00 pm »

I think we actually killed all of the necros. The last zombie siege was just some directionless horde with no leader.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: September 06, 2012, 10:28:02 pm »

Wasn't even a threat at all. Fischer got knocked over by them but retaliated by ripping four to bits in about half a second.

Even the newbies were able to fight one on one easily without injury.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:06 pm »

See? no necro no threat. A directionless mass of things even dumber than dwarves. Also, SPOILER ALERT!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:03 pm »

I never said there still were.  I was just stating that was the only thing I could see causing them trouble.  I mean, really, spawn sieges are nothing of note anymore.  Even if any necros are left near (on the world map, that is) Spearbreakers, and are dumb enough to pay us a visit, I doubt they'll survive long long enough for such a critical mass to be reached.

Edit: I'm going to bed.  G'night, y'all.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:46:58 pm by soulslicerjames »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: September 06, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »

It's more a matter of the sieges being too spread out to take advantage of thier numerical superiority. they end up getting cut to ribbons peice by peice, unable to bring thier full force to bear (plus we always directed a few into the spike walk :P)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: September 07, 2012, 04:33:06 am »

Done with very little GIMP experience. More?

E: Blurred my glorious visage a bit.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:38:18 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: September 07, 2012, 04:59:16 am »

I will admit Mitchewawa, that your labelling has proven invaluable. I've added some labels of my own, too.

Text only update, because slowdown. >:(

17th Malachite 208

Per orders from Splint, I have begun preparing to invade hell. Do not get me wrong, but I am not going to actually invade it. I am merely militarising and preparing, by producing bolts and armor a plenty, and carving more fortifications around the area. We have an order for 1200 bone bolts in place, that is, 2 x 30 stacks of 5. I sincerely hope the next overseer is more of a tactical genius than I, who offended First Squad by sending the others to back them up. Hans and Datan are still grumbling about having to help Fischer and the others.

Poor old Aira was found dead, in her jail cell. Evidently, no one saw fit to feed or water her while she was in jail, so she starved to death. Thankfully she was not well liked at all, not a dwarf could remember more about her than the fact she once was the outpost liaison.

She is survived by an entirely unrelated dwarf, Aira II.
We're also joined by Varn, a thresher seconded into the Second Company squad.
Second Company now has a barracks near the Depot Barracks, where they have haphazardly begun training. I'm considering training them all as marksdwarves to aid with the invasion of the place beneath us, in the hopes that there might be a cure down there. Splint seemed to suggest that a cure to the Spawn's afflictions could be found deep in the earth... so I prepare for invasion.

Such a thing does not scare me as it should, but then... Reudh does not care about anything, anymore, but for my dear Rose. I finally found the gem, crudely cut by a peasant, laying in my room.

I took it to the flower of my heart, the beauteous blossom, the greatest she-dwarf to have existed, to rival even Muthkat Floweredsprinkled, famed Courtesan of the Responsible Outrageous Fences.

Her sullen yet pretty expression was replaced by a look of wonder as I laid the rose quartz in front of her, looking almost as beautiful as she looks to me. What a dear, what a world... She smiled!

I nearly fainted with pleasure... Such a smile, such a smile... Oh, and I thought she was beautiful then, but when she smiles, oh, that lovely dwarf, her prettiness raises to a point I thought not possible, a beauty I can not behold without a near visceral response... And she at last speaks.

An angel's melodious voice can not match the greatness of Rose's harmonious, seraphic, cherubic.... in all regards, divine voice.

"Thanks, Overseer. I don't deserve such a gift."

Oh, oh! I cannot speak I am in such eternal raptures of love! What mellifluous speech she uses! What...

She is incomparable! I am in love! I know it! And to lose her would be a shame indeed, I would be as broken as Splint obviously is!

Oh, what a gay day today is! I cannot help but skip about the fort in a near daze of happiness.

Those happy mothers and fathers haven't got anything on me.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: September 07, 2012, 06:01:18 am »

5th Galena, 208

No!

Poor little Musher.

A goblin snatcher came out of hiding, and rather than steal the nineteen day old baby away from his mother, chose to slice his arm off. I'm sending Fischer in to deal with the scum. Here's hoping she ends him slowly.

Let there be a day of mourning for Musher, son of Mincer and Uvash.

It is a sad day when a child dies... It is a sadder day when a child has not yet had a chance to live.

Fischer, the smart man that she is, took the goblin down in fifteen seconds instead of the half second it would've taken her normally. She cut its arm off, replicating what it did to Musher, watched it collapse in pain, recover, attempt to crawl away, before she ripped it to shreds, and left it to bleed out.

She came back in with a grim look on his face, and the head of the goblin.
"Reudh, I approve of what you did just then," she said. "Here, you might want this. Show Spearbreakers how you deal with enemies, and hopefully you can recover from your initial blunder."

She flicked the head at me lightly, but with the strength she has, it was like someone had thrown an arrow at me. I managed to catch it but not without bruising.
The spinning Dostngosp Snustkutsmob's head strikes Lord Reudh in the upper arm, bruising the skin!
Fischer leaves, grumbling "I need to clean this filth's viscera off myself. Be back soon, 'Lord'."
Perhaps my order has redeemed me, in Fischer's eyes. That's a good thing, right?

I called everyone available to the main hall, gingerly carrying head by the hair, occasionally dashing it against the rock walls as I walked.
Most of the dwarves I passed smiled, although No-Hair squeaked with horror and hurried Some-Hair away from the grisly sight. I hopped up onto the table, twisted Dostngosp's head's nose so hard it broke, and began to speak.

"Dwarves of Spearbreakers! I come to you in a time of grief. Our dear friend Mincer, and his wife Uvash, have just lost their son to goblin scum. He caught Uvash while she was hard at work, and she paid the price for it. I come to you bearing the scum's head."

A roar of both outrage and commiseration came from the crowd. I caught a glimpse of Fischer in the background, newly cleaned of the filthy guts of Dostngosp, nod slowly.

Splint stood near her, ever ready to intercept if I became foolish. It was his job as baron, after all. Accompanying him was his Baron's Hammers, Thumper, Crusher and Rose. Rose! She must've liked my gift so much! I haven't heard anything from her since I gave it, but she appears to be wearing it in an amulet made of-- hair.
Hair that's red.

My hair is red.

Oh god, did she come into my room?

Stammering slightly, I continued.

"I sent Fischer alone to track down the scum. I know that he would find him quickly and make his pain slow and intense. She returns."
Everyone turned to her and cheered. Fischer looked a bit grumpy by the fawning adoration, and redirected the crowd back to me with a swift manouvre.

"My friends, do not thank me. I am merely the grunt that carried out the order. It was Lord Reudh's thirst for vengeance that gave me the order to hunt the filth. Lord Reudh made the call."

And with that, the crowd turned back to me. "Lord Reudh! Lord Reudh! Lord Reudh!" they cried.

Oh, how pleasing. I let a smile pass over my face.

"Mincer, Uvash, I present the head of your biggest foe to you to do as you wish. With your permission, I shall build a memorial slab to little Musher."

They quietly nodded. Mincer accepted the head, hefted it about from hand to hand, before tearing its nose off and throwing it to a stray dog. He silently handed it to Uvash, who popped both of the head's eyes out, then ripped at its hair. Mincer took it back, and ripped both ears off with two twists of his hand, throwing more scraps to the dog. The crowd thought this was great, it was like a public execution to them. They roared with pleasure, "VENGEANCE!"

Oh, wow, how amazing the mob is. I feel myself swept up along with them. As a final gesture, Mincer and Uvash held one side of the bloody and misshapen head, and simultaneously punched their fists together, caving the head in. The head slipped from their grasp, shattered and beaten to a pulp, barely recognisable as a goblin, where it was pounced on by a giant emu, terrifying tall creature looked at the head, drummed at us all, marking the head as "This is mine now", and picked it up by the eye socket to take it away and eat it.

The crowd cheered. I was oddly... happy. Rose appeared happy too. I would call this a rousing political success. Fischer even smiled. Splint gave me an evil grin, mouthed the words "well done" at me, and walked back to his room, followed by the Baron's Hammers.

The giant emu, thinking we were congratulating it on its acquisition, pranced around on its ungainly feet, drummed thrice more, then left the room in peace.

What a day. Whew.

((Oddly enough, Uvash and Mincer are both still ecstatic from the birth, so his death hasn't even affected them. "Oh, we can have another one." "Sounds like a plan."))
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:32:59 am by Reudh »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: September 07, 2012, 06:28:17 am »

Well... I updated the 2nd Post... >.> Reudh, you're up to 15 updates already. lol    Archiver's worst nightmare. :P Still, the updates are of excellent quality, so keep up the good work.

Mitchewawa... That looks absolutely awesome. lol    All it's missing is a warhammer and pick (like a hammer and sickle)... I wonder if I could draw that...

And Splint, we thought before that we were out of necromancers. I doubt we're out yet.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:29:57 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: September 07, 2012, 07:19:54 am »

Well... I updated the 2nd Post... >.> Reudh, you're up to 15 updates already. lol    Archiver's worst nightmare. :P Still, the updates are of excellent quality, so keep up the good work.

This pleases me greatly! Thanks, Talvi!
I'm only halfway through my reign. :P

As I left the dining hall, I hear news from above. A diplomat, guild representative AND a caravan from Gugiromon have arrived. I sent Fischer's squad to guard them as they come in to the fort. I know the ways of the enemies of Spearbreakers.

Per Splint's requests, I shall sell as many mugs as possible to the humans of Gugiromon. They lap up our treasures to no end, and it will free up our industry to begin producing once again.

Not just one caravan! There are SIX wagons, the LAW-GIVER, yes, their LAW-GIVER has come, and three pack animals. They're heavily armoured. I dare not risk the human's wrath if they are attacked, so I order Fischer's entire squad to shadow the merchant group.

And then...

Oh horror of horrors... Most of the humans have made it inside the first gate, when I hear the news. A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Oh, wait, nevermind. Just goblins. Pity about their guild representative, though.

No, wait... he made a break for it and made it inside by the skin of his teeth.
Squad One moves in, and they rip the troll squad to shreds in about a second. They do this to a squad of pikegoblins too, and again, it only takes seconds.

A third squad is beginning to move in, but hey! As long as Squad One, First Company is standing in the doorway, 'tere ain't nuttin' that'll get past them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:46:54 am by Reudh »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: September 07, 2012, 07:52:20 am »

Mitch's Warhammer and Pick. :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: September 07, 2012, 07:56:14 am »

Mitch's Warhammer and Pick. :D

Heh. Between this and the updates I am made to laugh.

EDIT: I'd like to apologize to everyone about my outbursts regarding.... Everything. There are a few things I don't want to hear (I'm talking to you and the military paintbrush) anything about and would apreciate if you'd just let me bitch when things get to the tipping point. I have been stressed out of my godsdamned mind lately and since I have no matress anymore I've also been starting my days rather.... Grumpy. I have very little to do with my time during the day, since I don't start school for roughly two weeks, SO that leaves me a little too much time to check and double check things and over time little nitpicky shit going on in the thread tends to build up and cause me to fly into a rage, such as someone thinking there's a vampire in the fort when I had it in big colorful text there weren't going to be any, implying they never read the OP all the way through.  ::)

Little shit like that tends to be what pisses me off the most. As far as organizational planning for the military, I gave up on that. The current state is the result of a mass of conscripts living far longer than they were intended/expected to and the Overseer who put those units together owned up to that already.
Anyway, I'm rambling. I want to just flat apologize. I just have nowhere else to vent during the day because what irritates me pertains to the game in general or Spearbreakers, and where the hell else am I going to vent about those tww topics when little angry me has had enough that day? Not that it's any excuse.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 815