Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178487 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5250 on: September 09, 2012, 02:16:09 am »

I don't even want to know what the hell that yellow shit is if it isn't blood plasma.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: September 09, 2012, 06:36:58 am »

Methinks oil.
Text only update for now, for now.

10th Galena, 208.

Jack Magnus raised his axe and proclaimed loudly to the fort
"I call this wondrous instrument... Tenshedstagshil (Chancefin)! With it, I have slain hundreds!"

It is a pretty nice axe. Gleaming adamantine.

I've finished the fortifications near what will eventually be the entrance to hell. I have also offloaded a good amount of mugs and torn clothes to the humans, who seemed pleased.

I took a walk down the fort and found poor Sus II.
He was injured in a goblin attack, if I remember right, bounced back after being proclaimed dead, and then I accidentally kinda left the spikeman operating the spikes despite there being no enemies in there... Anri and Tahujdt were killed and immediately following them were their survivors, Anri II and Tahujdt II. Sus II managed to get to the hospital, and was critically injured. He's had splints and even sutures, but nothing'll fix his broken spine.

He lies on the floor of his barracks trying ever so hard to keep up with the rest of his squad mates, but I suppose it is hard when one is a paraplegic and no one knows how to make a chair with wheels. I removed him from his squad and retired him.

Not... only... that...

But Sus II's squadmates are disgusting. They've dropped food all over the floor of their barracks, without even putting it in a barrel or anything. Some dwarves...

I haven't seen my beauty Rose about lately...

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5252 on: September 09, 2012, 06:57:17 am »

Hrm... I don't really think Fischer is the type to keep an infodump journal... Unless Count Splint ordered it, of course. It certainly wouldn't be for personal use - she already knows all about her opponents.
Xahnel had a good point, though - keeping a list of kills sounds more like Draignean. :P

And awesome that Jack Magnus named his adamantine axe. :D And ouch at Tahjudt getting impaled.
Does anyone else find it humorous that all incarnations of Sus spend so much time in the hospital? :P
Great update, Reudh. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Paintbrushturkey

• Bay Watcher
  • BWHAHAHAHA - No, we're perfectly same, aren't we?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: September 09, 2012, 09:49:57 am »

I accidentally kinda left the spikeman operating the spikes despite there being no enemies in there... Anri and Tahujdt were killed and immediately following them were their survivors, Anri II and Tahujdt II. Sus II managed to get to the hospital, and was critically injured. He's had splints and even sutures, but nothing'll fix his broken spine.

how the fuck do you kill 2 generations of dwarves in the same fucking incident?
Some People are like Slinkies. Not really good for much, but they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: September 09, 2012, 11:35:26 am »

I think he meant: "these guys died, and these guys appeared right afterwards."

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: September 09, 2012, 11:56:15 am »

Journal 6
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm betting the army is feeling a little mutinous towards Dorf!Ruedh right now.  Given how many of the fort's inhabitants are part of it, This might be problematic for him.  At least Dorf!Draignean was with them in the front lines and got stuff done during his year of overseership.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:00:03 pm by soulslicerjames »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: September 09, 2012, 01:11:33 pm »

i think fitcher was trying to get the greenies to know what she knows.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: September 09, 2012, 01:26:45 pm »

I think Fischer was trying to get the greenies to know what she knows.

Pretty much. She didn't write it for her, she wrote it as a teaching aid for new recruits who've never seen combat with certain creatures/ no combat at all.

I see her as keeping the kill lists herself because of the beurocratic slip ups that caused the same jackass she killed multiple times to be listed multiple times. Basically her own combat records would be more accurate than any of the admin workers who watched the fights, and she keeps them for accuracay's sake.

Otherwise I'd still imagine the bulk just being used as personal accounting ledgers and such rather than as journals. Not like the bookkeepers will track the shit she needs for the army themselves.

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: September 09, 2012, 01:31:00 pm »

Yes, I would think some of the military (particularly those in Sus II's squad) would want to have... words with Reudh. I wonder what Count Splint will have to say this time >.>

Also, awesome that dorf!Magnus named his axe. Was wondering when that was gonna happen.

And yeah - I can't see Fischer doing any significant amount of writing, besides what seems to be required for Spearbreakers residents. You've already nailed in on the head with using her journals as kill lists and critter bestiaries. In my opinion, her foremost concern is the security and safety of this fortress, and spending the time to record actual "journal" entries compromises that somewhat. She could be spending her time training green recruits instead, or patrolling. That's how I've always viewed Fischer, anyway.

In addition to that, I would figure dorf!Magnus' journal entries would be similar - recording of information, but nothing personal in relation to himself. I told Talvieno in a pm before that I figured dorf!Magnus to be extremely curious and wanting to find out as much information as possible (knowledge is power), and I would have no doubt he would record anything he found out for future reference. And because of how wordy I am, he would likely have gone through more journals than several other residents combined.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5259 on: September 09, 2012, 02:16:11 pm »

I feel at this point the best way for Ruedh's turn to end would be with the army threatening a military coup unless Ruedh steps down.  What do you guys think?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: September 09, 2012, 02:25:46 pm »

One more 'accident' and we'll have his head on a pike or make a mug from his skull.  Shame there's no way to do both.
This is gold. :D

And yeah... I really don't think Fischer would've written an infodump, as I said before. Even for the greenies. Honestly, I see Draignean more of a teacher than Fischer:
"Listen up, newbies. Let me relate to you the tale of when I tackled the Holistic Spawn King singlehandedly."
"Pop quiz! Everyone list my favorite ten kills, in order. I've provided you with more than enough information."

If you want someone who's flanderized, Xahnel, Draig is it. :P But it's not a bad thing. It's a good thing, actually. And he started out like that, anyway.

Jack Magnus - if you wrote out some journals for Jack, that'd be awesome. lol   Wordy or not.

@James: Yeah... Reudh gets taken down by an angry military. :D I vote for this ending, too. (If we're voting.)

In other news... I'm adding all the new stuff onto the Spearbreakers PDF/Doc. Yayyyyy time for more brain fizzlefryburn.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: September 09, 2012, 02:33:18 pm »

Well it doesn't really seem right. That seems imply complete disregard for the rookies lives by not teaching them anything about what they'll be fighting (and having Draignean teach them may as well be a lesson on how to be a complete jackass, not a soldier.) There's no flanderization here, it's a teaching aid to be passed out between drills, nothing more. It'd give the recruits something semi consctructive to do for a few minutes during thier breif stints of down time anyway.

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: September 09, 2012, 03:20:21 pm »

Ah, hell with it. Might as well write something, see how it goes.

Journal 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not a terrible journal entry, I suppose.

... In all honesty, I don't even know what squad I belong to (my memory is shit, in case you didn't know). My entry would be a bit... screwy if I was part of Sus II's squad :p I'll change it if such is the case.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: September 09, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »

I like the idea of the military coup. I'd love for things to move along with Rose first before Reudh is deposed. :P

And Jack, your squad is First Squad, with Fischer and Draignean among others.

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: September 09, 2012, 03:33:15 pm »

Ah, I see. That means I won't have to change anything :) awesome.

And yes, military coup would be amusing, in my eyes. But I'm also curious to see what happens with Rose/Reudh first.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 815