Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178836 times)

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5385 on: September 13, 2012, 05:49:26 pm »

That's just it, i'm not well versed. The only horror stuff i ever liked was zombie, and only if it was funny too. But i watched 45 entries of marble hornets in two days, and now, if it isn't eight feet tall, faceless, and wearing a suit, then it cannot scare me.
EDIT: Let me correct that slightly. I can still be jumpscared, i can be creeped out, but only Slenderman holds my terror.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:52:39 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: September 13, 2012, 06:02:14 pm »

I'd say even knowing about Slenderman constitutes a fairly decent understanding of true brain raping  mental horror. Manamaids are more body horror, Slendy is more psychological horror.

And we must also include a means of making Slenderman engraveable.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: September 13, 2012, 06:02:33 pm »

Lol. :P I did the same thing... all marble hornets entries in about a week. But only the first night creeped me out. :(

But you're taking it wrong. Manamaids are supposed to be lolworthy... unless you're implying you're a Dwarf Fortress dwarf, in which case, by all means, be scared. Be terrified. Run for your life, even, if you can.
And don't look back. Don't ever look back.

ninja'd.
I'd say even knowing about Slenderman constitutes a fairly decent understanding of true brain raping  mental horror. Manamaids are more body horror, Slendy is more psychological horror.

And we must also include a means of making Slenderman engraveable.
At the bolded part... agreed.

At the second part... this is completely possible. You just have to make a "fanciful only" creature called the slenderman. Then dwarves will engrave pictures of it... but only about as often as they engrave pictures of other creatures like centaurs. Unless you modified the entity raws slightly, of course.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:05:28 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: September 13, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »

I figured Dorf!Reudh's behaviour now that he is clean is a little like mine was way back in the day. His reasoning for asking out Rochia was this:

Girl of the species was nice to me->
She must like me->
I now like her->
I ask her out->
And get crushed horribly.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: September 13, 2012, 06:14:44 pm »

There exists a beast even spawn  of all kinds and the legions of hell fear.... Only those who've been marked to be taken and those who still believe in thier imaginary friends can see him... And if you do indeed see him... Run. Though you won't get far.
The Slenderman.

There exists a thing all forums seem to fear, and yet embrace and hate in equal measure....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are things dwarves fear more than the most terrible forgotten monsters and megaspawn: THE MANAMAID WARRIOR.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: September 13, 2012, 06:20:31 pm »

There are things dwarves fear more than the most terrible forgotten monsters and megaspawn: THE MANAMAID WARRIOR.
If you attack them, you don't stand a chance in hell. And if you're lucky, that's where you'll soon be going.

Reudh: lol :p I still found it funny, though I think you embellished on it a bit when you wrote it.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: September 13, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »

LOL at all the slenderman stuff, never understood how anyones scared of that personally. I mean its basically just The Boogeyman 2.0, and I got over that when I was 10.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: September 13, 2012, 06:43:26 pm »

LOL at all the slenderman stuff, never understood how anyones scared of that personally. I mean its basically just The Boogeyman 2.0, and I got over that when I was 10.

Awww, aren't you a tough little biscuit? *tugs on cheek*
    More to the point, this really is not the best way to introduce yourself to a thread. Dismissing others' reactions to something makes you look like a douchebag.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: September 13, 2012, 06:53:46 pm »

I'm in the Tinychat atm.

^This. I can still be jumpscared, but the whole 'i'm coming to get you rarararara' doesn't really feel scary. Like I still flinch when I hear the crack sound in Containment Breach of 176 snapping my neck, but that's because it's so loud.

10th Sandstone 208

The humans have finally left. Not much else is going on... except I went to my room and found a statue of a spawn hastily wrapped in pink cloth, with a note on it.
It was from Jack Magnus, one of the First Squad's members. He said I had his 'support and friendship'.

Well... that's a good thing. I do need a friend right now. Rose... she is kind to me, but while I count her as a friend I don't know whether she does the same for me.

Orodogoth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: September 13, 2012, 06:56:37 pm »

I did a lot of testing with manamaids in adventure mode.
I found that busting a sexy move in front of nine or so goblins, dodging behind a pillar, waiting for them to start falling unconscious on their own and then sitting on their heads was the best strategy to take them down with. They're unconscious longer the second time they pass out. Busting a sexy move in front of nine people gives you enough time to sit on their heads and squash them while they're still unconscious.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:58:43 pm by Orodogoth »

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: September 13, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »

The fear of slenderman is the fear of the unknown. The faceless man in a suit represents all the hidden terror we have when confronted with something so alien that we can only agree on what he looks like. His motivation, his powers, whether he has any weaknesses,  what he does with those he takes, and even his prefered hunting style are totally in the air. Mainly, he's scary because you don't know what he wants, and what he'll do. And you can't prepare yourself.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: September 13, 2012, 07:05:50 pm »

and i read the randomness that appeared in less than a day, and i think: Oh shit. now i have to think of something snappy to say.

four seconds later i start typing this piece of comment.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: September 13, 2012, 07:09:14 pm »

The fear of slenderman is the fear of the unknown. The faceless man in a suit represents all the hidden terror we have when confronted with something so alien that we can only agree on what he looks like. His motivation, his powers, whether he has any weaknesses,  what he does with those he takes, and even his prefered hunting style are totally in the air. Mainly, he's scary because you don't know what he wants, and what he'll do. And you can't prepare yourself.

Hmm... well if he appears behind me I'll be too dead to care. :P

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: September 13, 2012, 07:18:27 pm »

@reudh: no, he goes head on. Not as scary to grab you from behind. He wants you to know it's him.
EDIT: You guys wanna know what it's like to be hunted by Slender Man, youtube "Yamimash slender w/ reactions & facecam attempt 1".
Or better yet, play the game. There are like, five of them now. We should end this derail before someone gets upset.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:04:41 pm by Xahnel »

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: September 13, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »

And don't look back. Don't ever look back.

From what I understand, you don't look back due to all the blood coming out of your eyes.  While being rendered catatonic is pretty bad as well, it might very well be the sort of state where you are aware of everything around you, you just can't move.  Of course, I'm assuming it would be lucky if you just died because your brain shut down so as to avoid processing what you're seeing.
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 815