Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178428 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5460 on: September 17, 2012, 11:39:20 pm »

So basically now we have to constantly highlight anything you two post?

Ah, yes, this is why it bugged me. Thank you.

@Xahnel:

I can yell pretty well, I think, but the problem is that I live in an apartment, so lots of repetitive yelling could invite a fair bit of trouble... I didn't consider that. Poop.
    I might still be able to do this, but it'd be a pain to have to work around the fact that none of the characters I voice would be capable of yelling under any circumstances on pain of death.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: September 18, 2012, 12:07:28 am »

Just use cold anger that russian dictators used to be famous for. That tone of voice that says "prepare for gulag. Then hard labor for rest of life. Or maybe headache .357".

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: September 18, 2012, 03:45:27 am »

Draconik's Log: Down the Rabbit Hole
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-*Meanwhile*-
Parasol Headquarters Lab 0 - Board of Directors meeting room.

*Parasol News Report Uregent To All Labs*

Draconik Log: R&D + R&R with a Side order of Training

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: September 18, 2012, 07:21:22 am »

Very nice draconik. Fs1 lives.

One request.

Your first log has a grand total of five sentences.

Please, please, run it through microsoft word with the spelling and grammar check on. I know it can be annoying, but it would really help.

In fact, how about everyone who write stories do this? It would improve the quality, and make Talvieno's archiving job that much easier.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: September 18, 2012, 08:01:11 am »

Everyone seems like they're pretty interested in the movie trailer idea. lol   There's no way I could pull it off by myself - it was just a script for the fun of it. Also, I wasn't going to really put much in, voicewise... I've got a good voice for voiceovers (deep, smooth, etc, according to what I've been told), but  I was going for "dramatic". :P

FOLLOWING ARE MAJOR SPOILERS (if you haven't read all of Spearbreakers) (and actually, even if you have)

May be important to note, as it's not made canon yet:
    I imagine Parasol as, unlike Ballpoint, a massive planet-girdling complex, with buildings connected through long "tram tunnels" with hyperaccelerated air-bubble protected vehicles in a vacuum.

At the end of Spearbreakers, I think that the dwarves will have already learned about the timewar. It can't be kept a secret from them forever. At the end, I imagine Ballpoint attacking Spearbreakers when Parasol rushes in (Spearbreakers is practically a Parasol base, given that there aren't really any Ballpoint agents). I don't want to say exactly where I imagine Vanya in all this, but I do imagine an unprecedented battle on the ground, with an immense air battle occurring in the skies above. Spearbreakers has something that both sides need... otherwise they wouldn't be there in the first place. The fact that the Spawn are there isn't enough of a reason anymore, I don't think.

Also, YES, I realize that most of the following wouldn't really be possible to make. :P But I figured maybe we could take movie clips and shove them together. If it was non-profit, it'd be fine (hopefully).

(by the way, the majority of the following is taken directly from my notes.)

MUSIC: RALLYING THE DEFENSE  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruPk4RD19Nw

SPLIT UP OF MUSIC:
0:00 - 0:33 = Quiet ambience
0:33 - 1:17 = Increased tempo, seems... thoughtful? Eye-opening? Suspenseful?
1:17 - 1:20 = Ramp up
1:20 - 1:35 = Power tempo, running, rushing implied
1:35 - 1:50 = Dramatic vocals, triumphant battle scenes implied
1:50 - 2:05 = Quieter dramatic vocals, battle death implied
2:05 - 2:11 = Ramp down
2:11 - 2:14 = Silence

0:00 - 0:33:
Couldn't decide if this would be better as a voiceover or text, blank background or images from the different fortresses. Still can't decide. If it's a voiceover, it needs a lot more embellishment - "First... there was the madness that was Boatmurdered"  etc.
FIRST
    THERE WAS BOATMURDERED

THEN
    THERE WAS HEADSHOOTS

FINALLY
    THERE WAS SYRUPLEAF

AND THEN FOR 200 LONG YEARS
    THERE WAS NOTHING

BUT NOW, A CONTINENT AWAY
    STRUGGLING TO SURVIVE
    IN A WORLD CAUGHT BETWEEN DIMENSIONS:

SPEARBREAKERS (definitely at least partly text on black screen, hold it for a few seconds)

(bang, switch immediately to next part, no fadeout, no pause)

0:33 - 1:17
Most of the following would be a few seconds long each. I doubt we'd be able to fit all of it in. Oh well. Also, all of these are just ideas. I didn't even have a script yet. :P This part feels like it begs for more voice acting.
- Splint voiceover: "Ladies and Gentlemen... I'll be straightforward. We're going to a very dark place."
   [Blood plains, blood raining from the sky]
- Closeup of blood rain staining a green tree leaf
- shot of the corpse-strewn wagon road
- Mr Frog measuring out ingredients into a test-tube sock
- Still shot of piles of mugs in darkened corners
    Cavy comes out from beneath the piles and stands up, twitching its nose
- Reudh peeking around a corner at rose
- Moonlit shot of Splint's architecture
- Shot from Mitch's shoulder at his hands as he turns the pages of a necromancer tome (with popup pages!)
- Still shot of the cavy corpses in the pit under Mr Frog's bed
- Random dwarf looking dizzy from the spiked booze
- Shot of the caverns from above, Ugeth's flames licking up from far below
- Metal spider vehicle climbing between shelves in Ballpoint's storage building
- A coffin full of the Master's teeth in front of a quiet funeral audience
(start Fischer's last stand speech around here)
- Hundreds of zombies pouring in over the blood plains                                                                         "There are things out there..."
- Overhead shot of one of Ballpoint's garages                                                                                     "things that dwarfkind has never seen."
- Huge Octavians rolling out through a border forest, with Ballpoint squads coming out of the bushes            "They've destroyed our homes... killed our families... burned our towers."
- Hundreds of Ballpoint mechs, ships and troops silently besieging Spearbreakers                                       "Now they sit outside our gates. We cannot let that stand."
- Closeup of Joseph's face, smiling with an evil glint in his eyes                                                              "If we must die today,"
- Contractors leaping aside as a battlesuit's gatling gun sprays the floor with bullets                                  "then let us make the world tremble!"
- Confused Spearbreakers dwarf sitting in a mech cockpit (because lol)                                                   "Let them know that we are dwarves, and"

-"THIS    IS    SPEARBREAKERS!"

1:17 - 1:20
SPEECH: (lead into with the previous parts. it's a voiceover)
- Fischer (yelling an encouraging speech):    "There are things out there... things dwarfkind has never seen. They've destroyed our homes... killed our families... burned our towers. Now they sit outside our gates. We cannot let that stand. If we must die today... then let us make the world tremble! Let them know that we are dwarves, and THIS   IS   SPEARBREAKERS!!!"
- During the last bit of the speech, for all of three seconds: Helicopter-style computer-generated fly-by of the spike bridge while active, whites out into the next part (or maybe just show Fischer standing on a throne above the military, raising her pike)

1:20 - 1:35
There's probably no way to fit all of these in in the time allotted. These were just ideas. I wanted something that went with the music.
- Underwater shot of some of Parasol's glassed-in underwater facilities
- Draignean saying "surprise" as the wall falls down between the soldiers and the spawn
- Vanya shouting "I'll find you!" to Salaia through a glass door as Ballpoint contractors try to pull her away
- Still shot of the air in Eris's huge portal coalescing into a rippling portal surface
- Random injured dwarf screaming "Not the hospital" as he's dragged along by two orderlies
- Fischer removing a Spawn's teeth
- Rose slapping Splint
- Huge chemical vat spilling everywhere at Ballpoint as Hans and Urist run
- Vanya running down the hallway as Mr Frog yells "You cannot hide forever, little spy."
- A huge number of Spawn chasing after a dwarf
- A Spawn Siege charging over a hill on grizzly bears
- The Master laughing maniacally

1:35 - 1:50
Most of these would be one beat long - that's (I'm roughly guessing) about 0.8 seconds each. A few might be longer, and I doubt we'd be able to fit all of them into there.
- Jack Magnus severing heads with his axe
- Urist and Vanya rushing down a corridor as it collapses behind them
- Someone rushes into room, flinging door open, horrified look, says, "My Count, he's trying to build magma pumps!"
    Shot turns: Splint yelling "I said NO!" while he throws a mug
        Shot turns: Said mug splintering against a wall
- Talvi jumping down on Mr Frog with her axe as he spins and blocks with his sawpike shaft
- Hans and Urist under fire at Ballpoint, hiding behind doorways
- Fischer using pike as a pole vault, flying over the heads of enemies and killing them as she comes down
- Iohannes and Mr Frog fighting beneath the fortress as Urist tries to stop them
- Vanya in the condemned dump, throwing her first journal at Mr Frog's face
- The Master: "CARNAAAAAGGGEEEE!"
- Bugi leaping up the side of an Eris tank with a grenade
- Hair trying to kill a dog (lol)
- Vanya and Urist surrounded by charging gorlaks
- Classic Ballpoint/Parasol timewar shot
- Parasol singularity cannon shooting a shot past the camera in the middle of a battle - space "warps" around it as it goes by a la Crysis's Hunters
- Hans and Urist in combat
- Mr Frog firing a serrated disc launcher
    Closeup of a bar spiraling into a serrated disc
- Scythod ambushing Ballpoint Contractors from beneath the sand
- Vanya twirling and striking at Mr Frog with her daggers
- Fischer charging alone into a spawn siege
- Demons slaughtering animals as bolts fly past from all sides
- The Master going crazy and slicing people to bits while Fischer charges him
- Spearbreakers' dwarves rushing out with Mr Frog's invented gear to battle the interdimensional companies (On Parasol's side?)
- Overhead shot of a huge interdimensional dogfight between Eris, Parasol, Stone Inc, Ballpoint, above Spearbreakers

1:50 - 2:05
Not enough room for all of the following, just like everywhere else. Again, just ideas. Most of these are one beat long, too.
- A dwarf on fire, transforming into a Holistic Spawn
- Rose and Halen kicking Ballpoint ass (spoilers)
- Spawn fleeing in terror from the axedwarves
- Reudh discovering Splint and Rose together
- Fischer atop a mech, pulling her spear out as it slowly falls backwards toward the ground, its pilot dead
- Splint kicking Reudh in the rock nuts (again, lol)
- Urist flung against a wall by a Holistic Spawn
- Ballpoint and Parasol troops meeting in combat, fighter jet zooms low overhead, dropping charges
- Splint yelling "FOR STOVA!!!" as he charges the enemy
- Armies of Spawn and Spearbreakers's militia charging each other at the final battle
- Fischer getting dragged down under scores of Spawn
- An entire army of troops falling unconscious before a single manamaid
- Mr Frog standing inside Eris with a small dwarven entourage, across the room from Joseph, who, shocked, suddenly finds that he can't get his portal to work, and he has no escape.

2:05 - 2:11
There's only enough room for one or two of these at most. Maybe even just one.
- Sus standing alone on the spikebridge, holding back the hordes as his allies flee into the fortress
- Scoll-by of Ashsaber's and Softa's cells
- Still shot of a golden rose on The Master's casket
- Mug falling in slow motion and shattering on the floor
- The haunted clover
- Terrahex slinking into the shadows

And following that, maybe something generic like "COMING SOON" or "RATED R", but enh, I don't know.

Unfortunately, this is pretty far from what you guys thought would be cool... Everybody seems to want lots of voice acting. I don't have a mic, though. :\

EDIT: The Spearbreakers TVTropes page is now longer than either Battlefailed's or Boatmurdered's. :-\ whoa.
And Splint, Mr Frog isn't maintaining it, so you can probably take that down from the OP.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:19:32 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: September 18, 2012, 10:24:49 am »

Pure epic, talvieno.
Now, as for the video... -smiles- you find me sprites, i'll get animating.

As well, tell us how many clips would be in each section.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: September 18, 2012, 11:37:24 am »

I was under the impression he was, at least early on. And I'd say that's a good thing since there's no end to the funny shit going on. I'll clean that up right away.

EDIT: Is it wrong I approve of everything on our TVTropes page because they work so well as quick descriptors? Also I need to look something up, because you guys may have missed a reference to an older fortress.

Show of hands, who missed the Boatmurdered reference in the battle where Thili got picked up by Ballpoint?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:13 pm »

E: I'm, er, not volunteering for any long-term scriptwriting with this. I was just in the mood.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: September 18, 2012, 12:13:16 pm »

Seems like it was a fancy way of saying "Take this group of unstable jackoffs and get out of my sight." Overall, I approve, cause it actually made me laugh.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: September 18, 2012, 12:18:08 pm »

*Sounds of rain*
Splint: [monotone] Is it raining blood?
Fischer: Yes. [beat] Are you going to whine about that as well?
Splint: In a bit, I'd expect.

Heh. I lol'd.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: September 18, 2012, 01:00:45 pm »

Lol, that was good. But it's really more of an intro than a trailer. =P Splint wrote an intro, too, if you haven't seen it (actually, I edited it before I posted it up, so it's half Splint, half me).  Yours was funnier, though, even if out-of-character.

Following soon will be (hopefully) a link to an uploaded mp3 of myself acting like a moron. >.> I totally failed when I tried to make my voice go deeper, though - I couldn't manage it at all (result of being nervous (why nervous? I have no idea)). You may also hear birds and other outside noises. But it's my voice. And I'm an idiot.

I'm having trouble discovering a place to upload it. :-\
Here's a link to the madness. Holy shit, I sound awful. And stupid. Really, really stupid.
But there ya go, I made a total fool of myself. Now it's your turn. :P
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:20:29 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: September 18, 2012, 01:36:02 pm »

Dropbox maybe for uploads? Mediafire kept giving me annoying pop-ups stubbornly insisting I download things that totally were not trojans ::)

E: Probably best to point out that I was ninja'd by Talvi's edit.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:11:29 pm by Mr Frog »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: September 18, 2012, 01:43:59 pm »

Did well enough. You sound like you'd be a technician or something similar to me for some reason.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: September 18, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »

Anyone got any requests for lines or voices they'd like to hear? My specialty is characters from yugioh abridged.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: September 18, 2012, 02:05:32 pm »

wadabout Stone INC? do do they not exist because i have not been able to scan the mound of images...

also, i cant take a turn due to school. DARN YOU 11TH GRADE!

also, I LOVE THIS THREAD. CONSIDER ME THRALLED TO SPEARBREAKERS.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 815