Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178410 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5535 on: September 20, 2012, 07:55:11 am »

Talvieno, you could do let's plays on youtube. You've got what's called a "Cozy Voice For Catastrophes".
This is the first time I've heard this. lol   I think I could only do let's plays on YouTube if I managed to remain severely nervous the whole time I was recording. I'd probably do a DF LP... but at the moment I don't have any way to install recording software, or the time to do an LP, so that'll have to wait.

Mr Frog: I think it's safe to say your voice is much, much lower than mine normally is. :P You don't sound like a "nerd" at all. It does sound a little like you're subconsciously forcing it down a bit. Not much, though. It was more noticeable in the first recording.

Xahnel: I laughed. :P You're pretty good with the different voices, and with switching between them rapidly... Your regular voice came as a bit of a surprise to me, though, somehow. I'm not sure why. A good surprise, though. (I've never heard of Yu-gi-oh Abridged, and the only character I remember from Yu-gi-oh is... well, Yu-go-oh. )
    If I could get over my nervousness, I could do a lot of the LOTR characters (I read the whole book aloud once to my brothers, with voices. Plenty of practice there).

It's awesome that so many of you guys have good voices. Now... How many of you can sing? :P

Splint: Awesome pic of Talvi. :P Not quite how I imagined her, largely because I've always described her as fat. lol   Looks like she had a major workout. Still, you got the expression just about perfect, I think... A happy, carefree smile. Totally lost in her fantasy world. Oh, and the cavies' eyes remind me of Green Patches.

I imagined Reudh with a paler face, but everything else is spot-on. Love the moustache especially. I hadn't thought of it, but I think he looks better with it (just my opinion). The addition of the torch, candle, books everywhere... brilliant. Curious, though - why does it look like his beard might be on fire? lol
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:56:55 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: September 20, 2012, 07:59:46 am »

Well she spends her time chopping trees, helping installing mechanisms, or hammering out armor, so I figure she's had enough exercise to work off some wieght, between the long marches around the fort and all the physical labor. :P

To follow, BT Contractor w/ a nice verson of the Security Division logo, and a Sewaturet Regular with the SRA emblem. The latter is finished, the former just needs to emblem colored.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:42 am »

WELL.

Lost internet for a week roughly. Felt like an eternity. Had to read through 7 pages on a 4kbps connection. NAAASTY... but it should be better now.
Alrighty now, down to business.

Splint, I love the drawing of Reudh! It's more or less how I pictured him in my mind while writing him!
Also, you guys can sign me up for the VA thread. While I don't have practice with voice acting, I did five years of theatre acting and I can speak quite clearly to boot. I'm confident enough not to stutter too (THAT IS NOT AN ATTACK ON ANY OF YOU, I understand you guys were nervous. In fact, out of the ones I heard none of you stutter.)
Additionally, I've experience in writing scripts. One of my plays 'Media Madness' and a skit I wrote for it "The Adventures of the Magical Pixie Horse" and "The Biggest Bondi Masterdance Idol" was performed to raucous applause to a rather small crowd. :P
I also did a course in writing which had two components of scriptwriting.

While my accent may be quite at odds with Froggy, Splint, Talvi and Xahnel's (I'm Australian, with a supposedly 'upper class' accent), i'd be happy to join. I've got Audacity as a recording program and a cheap gaming headset. I might record something when I get some time on my own. My voice is probably equally as deep as Mr Frog's, perhaps deeper. Hard to tell when it's my own voice I'm hearing. While I am very poor indeed at accents, I can convey emotion quite well. Part of my recording will be one of Lord Reudh's journals during the height of his obsession with Rose, and another part will be one of them after his drug-fuelled adoration has worn off.

Mr Frog, your voice is quite clear. Well modulated, too.
Splint, you did pretty darn well. You do sound like a 'college' guy (that is, probably about my age? 20?) but by no means is that a bad thing.
Talvi, your voice was a bit deeper than I expected >_>. But like the others, you were pretty clear. Some nervousness showed, but nothing more than a very very slight quaver. Nothing to worry about.
Xahnel, what I heard of yours before the connection crapped out, your voice is pretty good. Is that your real accent at the start?

Orright... Uh, where was I. Ok. Spearbreakers updates.
I should be able to finish my turn by the end of next week, as I have midsemester break and I've completed all but one of my assignments. It's late autumn, the dwarven caravan just arrived and I believe/hope a Spawn siege is imminent. Here's hoping Queen Sibrek and her entourage don't spawn in the middle of Spawn. Heehee.

Splint, you might be amused to know that I can assign Iki to a built cage, as if he were a tame animal rather than a fort member. Also, you've been stuck in Conduct Meeting with the Law-Giver for the last season; pausing only to get food and drink. Same thing had happened with the elf diplomat Iru Lalalavera at the start of my turn. Might have to kill them to get them gone, so that the dwarven outpost liaison can elevate you to Duke.

Regarding Spearbreakers, in addition to the updates would I be able to write a journal of Softa and Ashsaber? Rather than a journal, it would be a stream of consciousness, going with what has now become headcanon; that the dwarven mind remains locked into the spawn body. My thought that one of the two's dwarven mind has gone completely bonkers and is gibbering from the horrors, and the other is clinging to sanity by being very careful about what he thinks about and what he sees.

Tomio and Draconik, i'll load up your voices when I can.
And finally, before I go to finish my work, if/when Spearbreakers 2 comes around (hopefully with FS-1!) sign me up for a turn. This is one of the best community forts I've ever seen.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: September 20, 2012, 08:51:13 am »

That last statement put a big damn smile on my face. And, now without further ado, the examplef of the soldiery.

Sewaturet Regular Army member. Motto: "No Price Too Great! No Distance Too Far!"

The offensive arm of Sewaturet, The Regular Army is rarely at home as the city is generally always at war. The gasmasks the soldiers wear into battle as a precaution have become synonymous with one of the worst weapons ever deployed in battle, and thier goggles with soldiers who show no mercy. Like the entire army of the city, all sapient races are welcome in its ranks if they think they can make through the brutal training regimen. Well disciplined, well trained, and well equipped, they are career soldiers to the end, and will gladly sacrifice themselves in defense of the city, it's people, and it's assets. The current head of the army when fighting abroad a Ngo Joinedspider, a goblin born in the city.

An example of a Contractor from the Ballpoint Technologies Security Corporation, the militant aspect of the company and it's chief income source. Motto: "Calamus Est Gladio," "The Pen Becomes the Sword"

Wether drawn from Farflung Sariphose, nearby Harlech, or from across time, Ballpoint Contractors are known the world over as tough, reliable soldiers. With the Moghopper and Octavia as transports and close fire support, very few can hope to match the Contractors in firepower, mobility, and many times even in numbers. Many a country owes it's existence to the intervention of these men and women. They make no objections based on race, and everyhting from Humans and Scythod down to the often belittled Equus and Kobold can be found among thier forces.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: September 20, 2012, 10:26:29 am »

Just on for a sec, wanted to get this posted. Didn't expect to get ninja'd by Reudh and Splint (with pics!). lol  I'll respond with my thoughts as soon as I get back on. I'm just copy-pasting from a flash drive. (Welcome back, by the way, Reudh!)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:57:54 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: September 20, 2012, 01:27:16 pm »

Mr Frog: I think it's safe to say your voice is much, much lower than mine normally is. :P You don't sound like a "nerd" at all. It does sound a little like you're subconsciously forcing it down a bit. Not much, though. It was more noticeable in the first recording.

This is gonna bug me all day... what gave the impression that I was forcing it down? ??? You're actually probably right, though.

Now... How many of you can sing? :P

._.; Not me. Me attempting to sing is probably the most horrifying noise this side of a spoken-word performance of Vogon poetry.

Mr Frog, your voice is quite clear. Well modulated, too.

I honestly thought I was rubbish, but I guess it's nice that everyone at least says they like it :V

I wouldn't worry about having a different accent. I'm sure DF dwarves have regional accents just as IRL humans do. It'd be awesome to have anyone with actual formal performance training although there is the risk that you'll make the rest of us look like fools :p.

@Splint:

I honestly always pictured dorf!Talvi as a humanised (dwarvenised?) version of Applejack :V
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: September 20, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »

I can sing, if i have the song i'm singing playing in my headphones.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: September 20, 2012, 02:24:22 pm »

Tomio's journal 2:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tomio's journal part two, quoted, slightly unedited and only used once! Now for sale for only $0.00!
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: September 20, 2012, 06:10:34 pm »

Ok, so I'm home now, and what did I miss?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: September 20, 2012, 06:40:36 pm »

I can't sing to save my life. Before puberty I had a fine child's tenor, but then my voice broke. Now my vocal range is too low- if I try and go above a certain pitch it just doesn't do it. :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: September 20, 2012, 06:42:35 pm »

According to Corai I can sing decently. I'm positive he's lying. I will admit if you asked me to sing the song "Unwell" I could probably do a reasonable job of it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: September 20, 2012, 07:53:04 pm »

now i have to look for a scanner. and hook it up. and find software for it. and weed out the images that violate Spearbreakers tec.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: September 20, 2012, 08:31:20 pm »

I have recorded myself! Doin' one of the earlier updates. I understand that the microphone was too close to my face. :P It's an el cheapo anyway.
Part 1, in which Reudh goes on and on about Rose after presenting the rose quartz to her.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »

Seems too rushed.

Need to practice what you wish to say.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: September 20, 2012, 09:50:07 pm »

Mmm, I'm aware. That was recording on the spur of the moment. :P

I was a little nervous, as everyone else was.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 815