Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178057 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5550 on: September 20, 2012, 09:56:58 pm »

Seems too rushed.

Need to practice what you wish to say.

What, only Reudh gets negativity? I feel so left out right now :p

First person to say something mean about my audiojournal gets an imaginary cookie!
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Just kidding!
« Reply #5551 on: September 20, 2012, 09:58:01 pm »

You sound like a jerk!

*OM NOM NOM*
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Just kidding!
« Reply #5552 on: September 20, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »

You sound like a jerk!

*OM NOM NOM*

Not good enough. Cookie retroactively un-given.

Seriously, though, I'd rather hear about how I suck right now. There has to be at least some room for improvement, and I can handle hearing where it is.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: September 20, 2012, 10:07:36 pm »

well, you sounded like you were trying to be deeper than you probably are. Thats what came across and stuck in memory.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: September 20, 2012, 10:31:56 pm »

well, you sounded like you were trying to be deeper than you probably are. Thats what came across and stuck in memory.

Much better. Imaginary cookie awarded.

I swear on my C++ compiler that that's how I actually talk and I wasn't intentionally, at least, forcing it down, nor did it feel like I was doing so... but still, noted. If speaking higher will make it sound better, then speak higher I shall. Thank you for the feedback.
    What about it, exactly, makes it seem unnatural, though? Just curious.

NotAnEdit: Actually, did the whole thing seem off, or were there just a few parts that sounded weird? I recall there being quite a few lines where I mistakenly spoke too deeply; I tried to redo all of them, but my larynx began to seize up towards the end of recording and I think there were a few I couldn't fix.

ACTUAL EDIT: Okay, listened to Reudh's thing... the sudden volume at the start made me jump. Bad Reudh. Ahem... It was very clear and distinct; I tend to slur my words and mumble a lot, so I can appreciate when someone can enunciate everything clearly like that, especially when speaking so rapidly.
    That said, you were talking way, way too fast. I could still hear every word clearly, which was impressive, but it seemed less like you were portraying a character and more like you were trying to get the words out as quickly as possible to set up a gag or something (I kept waiting for a punchline :V). I have no complaints about your overall technique besides that, though. You sounded a bit strangled at the start for some reason, but it cleared up quickly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:35:36 am by Mr Frog »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: September 21, 2012, 06:17:23 am »

So, uhh, what are you guys actually planning? A short movie? Dwarf Fortress: The Musical?

PS. Frog you sound like a big black guy. And that's awesome.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 06:23:48 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: September 21, 2012, 06:51:21 am »

Okaaaaaayyyy... lots to reply to. Well, let's get going!

Quote from: Reudh
Talvi, your voice was a bit deeper than I expected >_>. But like the others, you were pretty clear. Some nervousness showed, but nothing more than a very very slight quaver. Nothing to worry about.
Hrm... Well, this is unusual. The nervousness was in the form of rambling, talking quickly, and a higher pitched voice. lol   So if I'm deeper than you expected, well...

Anyway, I recorded a second bit yesterday afternoon... with me singing. >.> I had a great deal of difficulty actually getting myself to do it, and finally ended up turning a "hrm..." into an impromptu vocalization. I also managed to relax enough (at the start) that you can hear what my voice actually sounds like. lol  hopefully.

Quote from: Reudh
Regarding Spearbreakers, in addition to the updates would I be able to write a journal of Softa and Ashsaber? Rather than a journal, it would be a stream of consciousness, going with what has now become headcanon; that the dwarven mind remains locked into the spawn body. My thought that one of the two's dwarven mind has gone completely bonkers and is gibbering from the horrors, and the other is clinging to sanity by being very careful about what he thinks about and what he sees.
I don't think that'd be a problem at all, really. I figure they need some attention, and they kind of have the And I Must Scream thing going, too. :P

Quote from: Splint
I draw art and think I suck.
No you don't, those look pretty good. I think the Sewaturet dude looks more badass, though (probably because you can't see the face). Still... The bit at the very bottom confused me - are you saying Ballpoint is the "good guy"? I'd always thought it was Parasol. :-\ Ballpoint released the Spawn (and possibly the vampires). (On that note, I was going to voice a little bit about one of the last vampires during the vampiric war and see if I could try my hand at a little voice acting. Not sure when. Today, hopefully, but we'll see.)

Quote from: Mr Frog
This is gonna bug me all day... what gave the impression that I was forcing it down?  You're actually probably right, though.

I honestly always pictured dorf!Talvi as a humanised (dwarvenised?) version of Applejack :V

NotAnEdit: Actually, did the whole thing seem off, or were there just a few parts that sounded weird? I recall there being quite a few lines where I mistakenly spoke too deeply; I tried to redo all of them, but my larynx began to seize up towards the end of recording and I think there were a few I couldn't fix.
The whole thing.
Your voice sounds stressed, and it sounds like it's at the absolute lowest limit of where it can go. I noted that in one place, where it might've sounded more natural for you to use a deeper intonation, you actually went higher instead. Maybe if you went up just a bit? Still, it's a good "I'm gonna kick your ass" voice. :P

I had to look Applejack up, but I think that's about how I pictured Talvi, yeah... just a bit more unhinged.

The whole thing sounded off the first time, but I hesitated to post much that was negative, given how it did still sound awesome (for a bad guy), and you said you were "extremely-insecure", as you might put it. (meant as a joke, not as an insult)

Quote from: Everybody
Reudh talks too fast!!!
I actually didn't think so. :P It sounds about right to me. Excellently done, too. I'm going to end up imagining that voice whenever I'm reading his posts. Oh, and Reudh, by the way - I don't know if it merits being worked into an overseer entry, but at some point in later autumn/early winter, might you be able to work in Vanya giving Lord Reudh a peck on the cheek (If Lord Reudh would consider that noteworthy)? The context is she's running down a hallway, asks if he's seen anyone weird, he says no, she starts to leave but then gives him a peck on the cheek as a thank-you. Ooh, spoilers.

Oh, and finally, I'd always pronounced your name "Rude", not "Royd". :P I guess my name could be mispronounced as well. "Tal-VEEN-oh", for instance. It's actually supposed to be pronounced "TAL-vee-EN-oh".

Okay, so do we actually have enough now? Can we start writing some scripts? :D Or do we need people to do different accents/voices? If we don't mind getting a little cartoony, I have a number of different voices I could try. And then there's what I recorded yesterday... which I need to go upload.
Wagh, this is a long post.

And an edit. blah. I ended up nervous anyway. I was also walking as I talked, and I think that made my voice seem a little waver-y. But I haven't really sang in years.
So, uhh, what are you guys actually planning? A short movie? Dwarf Fortress: The Musical?
Maybe. With all the talk we've had about singing, maybe. lol   If we can find an animator. And a musician. I've written music (midi music), but not really anything good for a movie. reedit, because why not.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:23:55 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: September 21, 2012, 07:51:07 am »

That was my Spearbreakers!Reudh voice. I figured he's highly strung so he'd speak quickly and a bit erratically. I was nervous though. Additionally, with the comments on the long one before I was trying to get it out as fast as possible to keep it at the less than 3 minute mark while retaining coherency.

I'll upload one with a much slower voice, which is what I would use for normal speech. (I do get excited, and as a result my speech tends to increase in speed. Occasionally my brain moves faster than my mouth and it comes out as several words at once in a garble. I find this very embarrassing, but it's apparently a side effect of high IQ.)

I always assumed it was 'Tal-VEE-eh-no'. Because we always shortened it to Talvi it made sense.
And with the animation, baby steps... look at the Boatmurdered one. That's been vaporfilm for the last few years despite the still fitful work Simon Cottee's doing on it. I'd say a better idea would be an 'animated comic', which is a tosser's term for an animation light on animation. I'd be happy to write the script if no one else wants to.

I'm writing the Softa and Ashsaber stuff at the moment.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: September 21, 2012, 08:58:52 am »

Softa

It's been so long since I was injured. So long since this foul being took control of my body and warped it... I mustn't think about it. Mustn't think about the creature. I am my own dwarf. I am Softa. SOFTA. Not some foul creature. I can see out of its eyes. I can see the claws that were once my arms. The claws that were once my feet. If the being looks down I can see what my chest is now. One giant mouth.

It roars. It always roars. And it terrifies me every time. Every time I hear it roar, I remind myself... I am Softa. Softa. Only Softa. Not Spawn.

Softa.
I AM SOFTA.
I AM A DWARF.

What cruel god would leave his children locked in such a state-- I shouldn't think of such things. I skate on thin ice as it is.

Softa. Think, Softa. Imagine the life you would've once had. Remember Fischer and how concerned he looked. Remember Draignean complaining. Remember the Master and Chestnut. Keep yourself together, and you'll be fine.

It's so hard to keep my mind working properly. At least I am not witnessing horrors upon horrors that I would see if I was let out of my cell.

Oh, that I would be put down soon. Then I could end this torment.
I can hear a voice from above me. I recognise the voice! This is Fischer. Fischer. Fischer.
Remember who Fischer is. Fischer is not your my enemy. Not your my enemy. Fischer is your friend. My friend. Fischer is saying something. Look up, Spawn. Look up, so I can see Fischer. Ah, good. You looked up.

Softa! Remember your friends! Fischer is saying something. Spawn hearing isn't good. I can make out Fischer's face! Yes! This... I pray and pray for things like this to happen. These moments are how I hold myself together. Yes.
What is that Fischer is saying? Peering in from above?

"Stay strong, old friend. Keep your spark alive. We'll find a way."

This cheers me. It's easier to keep the madness at bay when there's a memory of a friend.
Is the Master still around? He was so funny, playing with Chestnut right in front of me. I wonder if Draignean got anywhere with Fischer? Probably not. He's too proud. Fischer doesn't like a proud fool.

I wonder... would I have had a husband? Children? Any of the sort?  I would've been a stoneworker. I would've made Spearbreakers proud.

I see Fischer leave and my hope dims a little, but the memory of her burns bright. Who is there now? Spawn is still looking up and howling. It is terrifying but the friend memory helps. Friends help.

It's Splint. Ah, Splint. He looks well. He seems to be wearing a coronet of some sort. The sort I would say is nobility. Ha! He's nobility! Good old Splint. He's plumper than he used to be. Spearbreakers must be going well. I wonder where Stova is? Is she well? Did Splint and her ever end up getting married or having children? I suppose I'll never find out now. ...No, he's got a haunted expression flitting around the back of his head.
He smiles at me and it warms my heart.

"Hello, Softa. I've come to say hello again. Spearbreakers is going well... A lot of people are very happy at the moment. We've got a new overseer... He seems to be doing alright. He had a few hiccups but he's gotten us so much food we don't know what to do with it. He says 'Spearbreakers will be known not just for its mugs'" and here I smile inside again,
"but for its mugs, woollen clothing and cheese. We've got hundreds of livestock and I'm about to be elevated to Duke. Queen Sibrek is due to be joining us in mid Autumn. Here's Reudh... our current overseer. He likes to be known as 'Lord' but I think he's just using that name for the heck of it. Call him what you want."

Splint moves aside and my heart falls for a moment again. I try and croak a response but the vicelike grip of the Spawn on my mindbodymind renders me mute. It was worth a try.

A dwarf with balding gingery-brown hair and a harried looked on his face moved into the grating above my tomb. My Spawnness jumped at him but couldn't reach. He flinched. To be expected. I must be a shocking sight.

"Hello... Softa. I have never seen a spawn before. I'm Reudh. I'm the current overseer of the fort... I can't really think of anything to say that Splint hasn't. I... I'm a little weak on the Overseering front," and I heard a thump as Splint lightly slapped him on the back of the head, "but I try my best and Spearbreakers is flourishing."

He pauses, sweats, wipes his head with a silken handkerchief before continuing.

"I have procured us all food. I could organise for some food to be thrown to you if you want."

Splint slaps him again, while the poor dwarf stammers and splutters.

"The fort's going... very well. We ran off a goblin siege earlier this summer and the undead are all but destroyed. We even have had a human join us, a man named Iki. He said he'd help Spearbreakers and defend it with his life. And yes, like Splint said, we're overhauling our industries. The humans love the mugs and even the elves did too."

He appeared to run out of steam before muttering to Splint and moving out of the way.

And my heart sank again. Alone again. Memories will get Softa through this.

But then, but then, but then, but then... A young dwarf opened the grating.
She OPENED the grating! The grating! She is hopping into the cage! What a nimble lass. As my Spawnness runs toward her, expecting a meal, I conceal my mindeyes with my mindbodyhands so I don't see her eaten and warped into bloody grisly messes. You mustn't... Foolish young girl. This is how tragedies happen. I won't look. I can't look. I mustn't look. I couldn't look.

But she is so nimble. As my spawnness strikes at her, she evades the swipe by bending low.

"Hi, Softa. How's it going? Actually, don't tell me. I can guess."
What youthful jubilance. I uncover my mindeyes. She seems to be nimble enough to avoid my Spawnness's attacks. If she can keep it up I will look. If she can't then I might lose myself. I nearly did once and it was like being set adrift in a black fog of nothingabyssdarkabsence. Terrifying.

"Well---" and she pauses to leap over another swipe, kicking out lightly at my spawnbodyness as she does so, bumping it back a little. The spawn roars with frustration and I hear Lord Reudh's shrill cry of terror.

"Well, before you so rudely interrupted me, my friend, I was about to say that I've been well. Halen and I," (and a little shadow thing popped out from her back and... well, I didn't see anything but I got the impression of a grin), "Halen and I have fallen in love." The little shadowthingpersonimpchimp chatters in a sound only I can hear. "NoTmeLovESpLiNT. OnLY love RoSIe. BuT no TelL, 'kAy?" it squeaks.

"Softa..." the girl says, and dodges another swipe. Spawnme is furious. She is hungry. It won't be eating time for her tonight. That's good. Spawnme hungry means Softame has less stress of control.

"Softa, I have to go just now. I'm hungry. See ya soon, buddy!"

With that, she gives Spawnme a shove either side of Spawnmemy's maw, which growls and gripples menacingly. Spawnme staggers back momentarily, giving the young girl and her shadowimpchimp time to vault onto the wall, latch onto the hole and climb right back out again.
Splint drags the outrageously heavy grating back into place with some trouble, aided by Lord Reudh and Fischer.

Splint tells me "Before we go, let me say this. Softa, we will always visit you. No matter the day."

Fischer moves back into view, having collected herself. It warms my heart. Spawnme frustratedly yowlshowls at her.

"Softa... my friend. I always think of you. You and Ashsaber. And all the others afflicted. Even my old friend Stova. They and you are always in my mind. When I fight, I fight for you." Splint gives a stifled sob at Stova's mention.
Oh... I had forgotten that Stova had been killed. It is a great pity.

A tear runs down dear old Fischer's face. Fischer never cries. A single tear, that runs down, to the edge of her chin and falls through the grating. Spawnme moves away from it as if it were something mildly dangerous, but I feel a hope such as I have never felt. Fischer weeps for me. This truly gives me strength.

As they leave, I can only think but one thing.
I will endure.
I will have strength.
For I am Softa. Dwarf. Not Spawn. I will not be corrupted by anyone or anything. I will hold on.

Be strong, Softa. It will not be long until you meet them again.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:05:44 am by Reudh »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: September 21, 2012, 09:09:12 am »

Holy shit. I don't know what happened but I started weeping myself after writing this I don't even know what happened.

Seeya tomorrow guys, gonna sleep. Probably just tiredness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: September 21, 2012, 09:22:39 am »

@ Talvieno - Compared to the SRA, the contractors are probably saints. Hell, human!Splint would be on the entire world's shitlist if he were given control of a country on earth. SRA soldiers come off to most people, Ballpoint included, as complete psychopaths with little to no regard for the lives of others, and possibly even thier own. This is of course the result of a combination training with a 15% fatility rate (LIVE AMMO FOR ALL EXCERSISES! mentality with training) and being psychologically conditioned to kinda.... block out what they're doing.

And it's just the bioengineering and research department that's evil overall. The rest of the company didn't have shit to do with that except haul in the initial specimens.

EDIT: Damn you ninjas. And damn man, kinda.... Welp now I have to look at those poor damned fools in a different light now.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: September 21, 2012, 10:27:11 am »

Why do we need a visual component at all? Unless we have a big- and skilled-enough team to actually get something decent animated in a reasonable time -- which we don't -- I think we should just stick with a radio-show format. Animation is cool when it's done well, but it's distracting and grating when it isn't. Let's keep things realistic and try to keep all of our options in mind. We can communicate information verbally through narration.

@Talvi:

Well, insecure or not, I'd rather hear what I'm doing wrong as long as it's something I can easily fix, which this pretty much is (SOLUTION: Speak a bit higher). In light of the fact that my voice is apparently far, far deeper than I'd ever imagined (though I do think "big scary black dude" may be laying it on a bit thick :p  It can't possibly be that deep), I'd say I can safely raise the pitch a bit. The point of dramatic acting is to convey emotion, correct? If so, having the greatest possible range of tones seems more important than sounding !!MANLY!!.
    For what it's worth, I actually flat-out forgot how to lower my voice, as retarded as it sounds :-[ I was really jittery, so I wound up overthinking what should have been an instinctive process (what I believe is called the Centipede's Dilemma). Your point is still valid, however.

We're all amateurs here, right? (...Right?) We can't really expect professional quality, but I think it's in everyone's interest for us to maintain an environment in which flaws can be identified and addressed. Hurt feelings are temporary, but good advice leaves its mark forever.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: September 21, 2012, 12:27:42 pm »

Holy shit. I don't know what happened but I started weeping myself after writing this I don't even know what happened.

Well... This makes me wish Softa could kill HD somehow. 'Twould be epic.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: September 21, 2012, 05:17:31 pm »

I teared up when i read that softa post too. Good work.

Mr Frog, you do indeed sound like a burly black man.

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: September 21, 2012, 05:36:40 pm »

Well, shit. It seems like Reudh wasn't the only one who lost his internet this week.

I've been without internet access for about... 10 days? Our provider apparently failed spectacularly and they still have no clue what the hell is wrong, so we just switched to a new provider today.

Very, very slowly getting caught up on everything I missed (on here and other forums as well). I won't be able to contribute as a VA for whatever it is you guys are planning, sadly - I may be back on the internet, but I'm still hobbling along using dialup.

And Reudh, that was... emotional, I guess is the word to describe it. I would like to think dorf!Magnus would spend some time visiting Softa if he knew they still... knew who they were.

Don't really have much else to say. The last week hasn't exactly been particularly good in any way :/
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 815