Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178306 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5565 on: September 21, 2012, 06:03:34 pm »

what provider is it?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: September 21, 2012, 06:08:07 pm »

Netscape, which I believe is operated by AOL. We've switched to... Arczip, I think. Not really any faster, but we're back online now, at least.

In the week I was gone, I actually got back into DF with a new fortress. My first real experience with the military proved to be... quite amusing (disregarding my military currently only has two members, but they both seem to be Fischer reincarnated for how badly they butcher everything).

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: September 21, 2012, 07:27:34 pm »

I'm happy everyone likes it. I've got a great fear of being locked into a body that I can't control, so it struck a chord. And the loneliness too.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: September 21, 2012, 07:43:55 pm »

Very nice, Reudh... I can see why you got teary. lol    Nicely done. It'll be hard for us to think of Ashsaber and Softa the same way, now... (by the way, did you see the bit where I asked about Lord Reudh/Vanya?)

Welcome back, Jack Magnus! :) I'd been wondering why you'd disappeared so suddenly... glad those issues are fixed now. Bet you haven't had a very fun time of it, though.

I think I've kind of been procrastinating on the next Vanya post largely because I'm not sure I can do a "good enough" job on it. :\ Reading that Softa story post made me realize - I'm trying to elicit that sort of reaction, and I'm not really sure I can manage it. Thus, I hesitate.   Plus, Urist shows back up, and it feels wrong to do it without Hanslanda's help. But to be completely honest I think the first reason of the two is the main one.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: September 21, 2012, 08:03:47 pm »

Ah, yes, I saw about the request with Vanya and Reudh. I'll wait to do that until after your update unless it is Vanya's last appearance. Feel free to PM me if you need.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: September 21, 2012, 08:40:52 pm »

Tal, you'd better write. I don't want to have done the thing with the thing about the thing for nothing. Also, get my pm?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: September 21, 2012, 09:04:50 pm »

@Talvieno:

Eh, I wouldn't worry about getting a specific emotional response. I don't really think that's the purpose of a story anyways (at least, that's not what I read them for -- I actually hate it when a story tries to manipulate my emotions unless it's really well-done). Vanya's an awesome character and your writing is impeccable. Just keep rockin'.

E: Just noticed this:

Quote from: Xahnel
Tal, you'd better write. [...]

This is extremely-rude. Everything Talvieno's done for the thread, he's done in his own free time, because he wanted to, with his only reward being our gratitude. Perhaps I'm overstepping my station here, but I really don't think Talvi should be expected to acquiesce to any outside requests regarding what to do with his time unless we're willing to offer some kind of compensation in return for his services, and seeing a direct demand like this frankly makes me indignant.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:49:05 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: September 21, 2012, 11:30:08 pm »

Hold your anger until you know WHY i said that, Mr Frog. I don't wanna spoil anything.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: September 21, 2012, 11:32:05 pm »

Still. Frog has a pretty good point. You aren't the boss bro. :P Just another equal like the rest of us.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: September 21, 2012, 11:50:52 pm »

I have a perfectly good (if secret) reason. I beg you all to save your irritation. Once revealed, if you don't think my reason was good enough, I'll accept your remonstrations.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: September 22, 2012, 12:31:26 am »

Quote from: Mr Frog
I honestly always pictured dorf!Talvi as a humanised (dwarvenised?) version of Applejack :V
I had to look Applejack up, but I think that's about how I pictured Talvi, yeah... just a bit more unhinged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzlXIdeKjuI
A'yup. Replace "apples" (and "ponies") with "cavies" and you've got Talvi right there. :P
[edit]...aaaaand now I've caught the memetic infection. Damn you Spearbreakers!
* Sus has turned into a brony!
[/edit]

And Reud, that's some incredibly touching and tragic narrative. Poor Softa...  :'(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:32:16 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: September 22, 2012, 12:48:16 am »

@Xahnel:

I don't care what your reason is. You're not in a position to make demands of anyone, no matter the context. If Talvieno judges whatever you apparently want him to do to be worth doing, he'll do it and more power to him, but it's not your decision to make.

@Talvieno:

Sorry for speaking for you, but I couldn't in good faith remain silent on this.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: September 22, 2012, 12:51:08 am »

I'm the only one allowed to pitch fits here, so all of you SHADDAP. Unless you have something less argumenty to discuss (I'm aware argumenty isn't a word.)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: September 22, 2012, 01:07:30 am »

Torn piece of paper in AussieEvil's room

I do not know the source of this feeling, but I have uneasy premonitions of me being hunted--
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: September 22, 2012, 03:43:46 am »

14th Timber 208

Two days ago, we spotted a dwarven caravan on the outskirts of Spearbreakers, along with the outpost liaison Kosoth Rithoddom. Splint's been in conversation with the human law-giver Mori Mobblossomed for the last SEASON, and seems to be getting angrier and angrier. He came to me and told me to lock the doors. I think I know what's going to happen.

16th Timber 208

There's been sounds of scuffles for nearly two days. Splint is yelling and yelling. Crusher grumbles about 'ME ONLY BRUISING HER WHAT GIVES'. Rose is growling... an altogether disturbing sound.

Then, as the first of the merchants made it indoors, a scout told me a vile siege had arrived. A vile siege of what, I asked.

"SPAWN!" he screamed, before passing out.

I heard Splint growl from his room, before yelling out to me.
"SPAWN? REUDH, USE THE SPIKEWALK AND DON'T STUFF IT UP AGAIN!"
Fischer approached me quickly. "Reudh, there's forty of them. Five of them are Elite Wrestlers. Station us here" and she pointed to the front entrance, "and squad two here", pointing to the trade depot itself.
I pulled Mitch's labelled lever, hoping to Armok that it was labelled correctly and didn't open the wrong bridge. I got a peasant to man the spikewalk lever and pull it back and forth.

Now we wait...
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 815