Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178462 times)

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5580 on: September 22, 2012, 04:14:25 am »

Newer Verison of my Audio Log, you can actually Hear me in this one.

http://soundcloud.com/draconiksankis/spearbreakers-log-1

P.S My GF may have been recorded, please ignore.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: September 22, 2012, 04:19:57 am »

I'll always love that bit about this place being an asylum built by the inmates.

EDIT: Ok, I probably missed this but is English not your first language? It seems like it isnt with the way you spoke.

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: September 22, 2012, 04:57:13 am »

It is however now that I play through it your right, I definitly record werid.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: September 22, 2012, 05:10:12 am »

17th Timber 208

The Spawn ignored the spikewalk and have begun to enter the long path to the front entrance. Thankfully, none of the spawn have hit any merchants yet.

Fischer stands tense surrounded by her squad. Second Squad stands a few metres behind them.

From my vantage point I can see the two brave guards who stayed behind to fight the first of the Spawn. Horrifying creatures, those spawn. I finally saw what one looked like when we went to visit Softa a few days back.

Not long after this, another spawn caught up... the two guards are now fighting a losing battle. Fischer frowns. She stays still. Deathly still.

The speardwarf fighting for his life is being beaten from side to side, still managing to keep his feet even with flesh ripped from his body. His mate is helping him upright and they stand back to back fighting the spawn.

Two spawn were captured in the traps I set up to catch the Coati last month. Hah. They don't seem so fierce rattling inside the cage. But... they move so blastedly fast.

Fischer shouts. "STEADY, SQUAD."

A smile creeps on her face as she watches the two dwarves fighting back to back. One goes down, but performs martial dentistry. Martial dentistry! That Spearbreakers defense that renders the spawn less harmful.

Then the other is piled upon by no less than eight spawn, and goes down fighting and clawing all the while, managing to chop the leader's head in half, which...
doesn't even phase it.

18th Timber 208

Fischer and her squad remain tensely awaiting the spawn. Second Squad led by Pokonic join them. Fischer nods and welcomes them.

Oh god.

Back in the fort, I hear Splint has finally killed the law-giver. Took him a while. I unlocked his door for him, and he burst out. "HOW GOES THE FIGHT?" he roared, and I nearly fainted in fright. The bloody corpse of Mori lay behind him.

Fischer and Dauros, that Old Legend are the first to engage the spawn. Fischer chops right into its maw with Rulushdezrem, while Dauros KICKS ITS HAND OFF.
Yes, KICKS THE HAND RIGHT OFF.

I don't even know how he managed it, but victory is assured if Dauros is that strong.

With Dauros' aid, Fischer takes on a leader of the spawn. She punches it in the chest, instantly killing it by virtue of its broken heart.

The melee is ridiculous. Mincer gets bitten on the hand, though it doesn't appear to break the skin. The spawn holding him throws him around and around, tearing the hand open. In retaliation he splits its head open, which doesn't hurt it.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:13:54 am by Reudh »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: September 22, 2012, 05:28:46 am »

Still 18th Timber 208

Everyone's watching with horror and hope in their eyes. First and second squads are fighting like dwarves possessed, though no one has tranced yet.

We have our second injury; Soulslicerjames got clawed in the ear, tearing the cartilage. Again, i'm thankful that it wasn't a bite.

Mincer's wife Uvash very nearly takes an injury. Bitten by two seperate spawn at once, in the hand and the leg, both times her armor deflects the attack.

Mincer, the coward, is fleeing the fight, clutching his injured arm. I send Third Squad in as insurance to wait by the trade depot.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: September 22, 2012, 06:32:44 am »

@Talvieno:

Eh, I wouldn't worry about getting a specific emotional response. I don't really think that's the purpose of a story anyways (at least, that's not what I read them for -- I actually hate it when a story tries to manipulate my emotions unless it's really well-done). Vanya's an awesome character and your writing is impeccable. Just keep rockin'.

E: Just noticed this:

Quote from: Xahnel
Tal, you'd better write. [...]

This is extremely-rude. Everything Talvieno's done for the thread, he's done in his own free time, because he wanted to, with his only reward being our gratitude. Perhaps I'm overstepping my station here, but I really don't think Talvi should be expected to acquiesce to any outside requests regarding what to do with his time unless we're willing to offer some kind of compensation in return for his services, and seeing a direct demand like this frankly makes me indignant.
Thanks, man. :)  and I'm not really trying to "manipulate" anybody... That's not the word I would've used, anyway. See, the next part, in my opinion, just won't really be "well done" at all unless I can get that kind of response. :P   I feel I'm bordering on giving stuff away, but this is the chapter where she finally meets (re-meets?) her sister. Who she was told was dead. And she was told was just her imagination. It's supposed to be emotional, if not for the reader, then at least for the characters, and it feels like one of those things where there's a fine line between "good" and "total garbage". If I can't do a good job, it'll suck to the point it's groanworthy. At least... that's how I see it.

Hold off on Xahnel, though. He wasn't meaning it to be rude, nor was he meaning it to be a command. He just has a bad habit of misphrasing stuff to where it can be taken the wrong way. :P What he meant was more along the lines of a good-humored poke. No offense was taken - at least, not by me. >.> *jokingly glares at Mr Frog* (and don't take that the wrong way, either. ;D )

edit: actually, it was pretty awesome of you guys to go out and try to defend me like that.

~~~

Woot on the Holistic Spawn Siege! Spawnbone armor for everybody! And yes, for some bizarre reason you can do that. Well, I think it's a feature! Well, maybe just a hack. Well, probably a bug. But it was a good bug.

Fischer takes on a leader of the spawn. She punches it in the chest, instantly killing it by virtue of its broken heart.
Badass. She punched into its chest maw and practically one-shotted it. :o

Careful of Mincer. He may turn. Watch for fevers.

Very exciting. o.o   Again, the shit hits the fan at the end of someone's turn. The Spearbreakers Tradition continues.
And Reudh, the Vanya kiss is two updates away, and I may not be able to get there before you finish your turn. I don't know, though.

edit: @ Draconik: I can hear it, but barely. :-\ Maybe the computer I'm using just has bad speakers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 02:22:33 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: September 22, 2012, 07:58:42 am »

19th Timber 208

Soulslicerjames entered a martial trance. It's glorious to behold. Flying around, slashing, preternaturally guessing where each hit will go or not go.

The Spawn are getting perilously close to the entrance bridge despite First and Second's best efforts. I've ordered Third Squad to move in. Once they're outside I have to lock them out via the bridge or the merchants are doomed.

We captured one more spawn. There's about 32 remaining...

Wait a second. More spawn have showed up. There is thirty-SEVEN spawn in combat with about ten to fifteen more arriving. I am glad I sent Third Squad in.

Pokonic, having gotten sick of being knocked down repeatedly, gets up and also enters a martial trance.

Mincer manages to get away from his spawn and is heading back inside. Fool. I will punish him...

Despite the amazing power and speed of our dwarves, the spawn are just as fast. For every spawn that loses an organ or limb, a dwarf is knocked flying, stunned for a second. It could be worse.

Some of the more junior of the senior dwarves escape injury only by their armor.

Uvash gets bitten again, though thankfully only bruising. The spawn latches onto her so she's going to get an injury. She'll have to head to the holding cells too after this is all over.

We have our first casualty of the siege.

Hakah fights just as well as everyone else, and then he stumbles. The spawn he is fighting claws at his arm, snapping it into a weird angle. Hakah drops both the axes and groans. Spearbreakers is clamoring at the windows to see what happens next.

He stands up again, proud, holding his maimed arm close to his chest. The spawn roars and claws him, but the claws cannot penetrate his iron breastplate. It flails helplessly at his chest until it well....

It grins, and grabs him by the throat, and begins strangling him. Deprived of air, Hakah faints.

Soulslicerjames leaves his martial trance and takes a few hits. He's vomiting his guts out, after being hit in the stomach, and gotten his hand broken.

Hakah gets his head mushed in. Poor Hakah. CASUALTIES: HAKAH
Seconds later, Fervus goes down, having his head ripped to bits. CASUALTIES: HAKAH, FERVUS
Krypta loses her foot and faints. Her foot is gushing... unknown creature substance? Krypta dies too, seconds later. CASUALTIES: HAKAH, FERVUS, KRYPTA

Soulslicerjames starts fleeing. Fischer attempts to keep him safe by engaging the spawn following him. Blast. She makes quick work of three of them.

Seeing Krypta, Fervus and Hakah go down, Skitara and Niccolo enter a martial trance one after the other.

Paintbrushturkey also enters a martial trance. Niccolo leaves the martial trance.
Draignean gets a bruised throat.
My friend Jack Magnus enters a martial trance.
One of the passing Squad 3 Second Company takes a potshot at a spawn, missing.
Paintbrushturkey leaves the martial trance. Despite Fischer's best efforts Soulslicerjames dies.
CASUALTIES: HAKAH, FERVUS, KRYPTA, SOULSLICERJAMES

Fischer and Uvash fight together against a legless spawn.
Draignean enters a martial trance. Draignean leaves the martial trance.
Dicer gets a bruise. Dicer enters a martial trance.

Jack Magnus leaves his martial trance.
A spawn has made it to the trade depot. The guards are firing upon it and others.
Uvash loses her foot.

Fischer, Dauros and Skitara have run to the map's edge for no apparent reason, leaving Ezum to fight eight on his own.

Adil Desololor, one of the Squad 3 Seconds gets his arms ripped off and lays bleeding out.

Ezum leads the now fifteen spawn on a merry chase. Fischer, Skitara and Dauros sit doing nothing. I'm pulling the lever to turtle. Those outside can cope.

Adil bleeds to death. CASUALTIES: HAKAH, FERVUS, KRYPTA, SOULSLICERJAMES, ADIL DESOLOLOR

Sus III dies. CASUALTIES: HAKAH, FERVUS, KRYPTA, SOULSLICERJAMES, ADIL DESOLOLOR, SUS III
Pokonic loses his left foot and right hand.

Uvash missing her hand runs away.

Splint chooses this time to mandate more ballista arrows.
Pokonic bleeds to death. CASUALTIES: HAKAH, FERVUS, KRYPTA, SOULSLICERJAMES, ADIL DESOLOLOR, SUS III, POKONIC

Ezum gets clawed but not before Fischer, Skitara, Dauros make it back to him and run them off.
Domas sustains a torn leg. Feb begins to flee.

Mad-Dok hits... wait, why are you in combat?

Mad-Dok strikes an elite wrestler Spawn from behind with his pick, causing its arm to fly away.
Aseaheru II cheers and fights like a whirling dervish with his adamantine axe.

Two spawn fall into the pit near the bridge. Ushrir, the Smith o' Toys lazily shoots at them both.

It's now the 23rd of Timber. The siege has gone on for seven days. Awl fled the fight on day two, but returns.

The siege is broken, but at what cost?
We lost Sus III, Pokonic, Soulslicerjames and others! There are still spawn, and no doubt until the marksdwarves can defeat the spawn down in the pit everyone will refuse to go outside.

Mincer and Uvash are both crippled.

Litar was just found dead. CASUALTIES: HAKAH, FERVUS, KRYPTA, SOULSLICERJAMES, ADIL DESOLOLOR, SUS III, POKONIC, LITAR.

Ezum too was found dead. CASUALTIES: HAKAH, FERVUS, KRYPTA, SOULSLICERJAMES, ADIL DESOLOLOR, SUS III, POKONIC, LITAR, EZUM.

What a pity. So many bright young dwarves.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: September 22, 2012, 11:25:03 am »

...Holy shit. :o

I seriously didn't see that coming. Our dwarves (legendary dwarves) fell to Holistic Spawn? To the point we had to turtle in the middle of a battle?? How?!? o.o

Holy carp, they really are evolving.  Sus III, Pokonic, Soulslicerjames... you will be missed. :(
(I imagine the Spearbreakers version of Taps involves yelling at people to shut the hell up, though. It's the Spearbreakers way.)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:27:42 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: September 22, 2012, 11:32:37 am »

There's a bug with soldiers that can crop up occasionally requiring them to be issued endless sation orders after each kill. And I'd like that ballista arrow mandate to be stricken from record, that was gameplay. I'd have never ordered such a thing mid battle.

Any soldiers who fell back did so because they were injured and able to break the current engagment and would either return to battle on thier own if the bleeding stopped or go to seek treatment. I really don't want to get the danger room reinstalled but after this we might need to to make up for the loss in soldiers. :(

@ Talvieno - They came in a huge group because they ignored or otherwise bypassed the spikewalk. They had numbers plus thier inabilty to die from head wounds and lack of pain receptors. If they died from brain trauma or the AI knew what the hell center mass means the fight would have been over and few if any of our soldiers would have died.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: September 22, 2012, 01:06:55 pm »

did AseaHeru get a kill? or fight at all?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: September 22, 2012, 02:21:04 pm »

Can't say I'm surprised my dwarf died.  It was bound to happen sooner or later, being in the army.

And I'd like that ballista arrow mandate to be stricken from record, that was gameplay. I'd have never ordered such a thing mid battle.

I'd say your dwarf realized that this time, the spawn much more of a threat then ever before, and decided that we needed much greater firepower to survive if future spawn sieges follow suit or we were unable to defeat this one.

Sus III, Pokonic, Soulslicerjames... you will be missed. :(

What are you smoking?  This is dwarf fortress.  When somebody dies, that just means all their stuff is up for grabs and you bury/memorialize them only to keep them from coming back as ghosts.  Given how drugged up everyone is, I'd be surprised if we're remembered at all after a few months.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: September 22, 2012, 04:05:30 pm »

Mother of god... so many dead. I half-expected to see a

CASUALTIES: FISCHER

By the end of that update.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: September 22, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »

were you touching wood when you typed that? if not.... then it will probably happen....
Highly Opinionated Fool

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: September 22, 2012, 06:16:06 pm »

Sus III, Pokonic, Soulslicerjames... you will be missed. :(
What are you smoking?  This is dwarf fortress.  When somebody dies, that just means all their stuff is up for grabs and you bury/memorialize them only to keep them from coming back as ghosts.  Given how drugged up everyone is, I'd be surprised if we're remembered at all after a few months.
hence why I said the part after it.

were you touching wood when you typed that? if not.... then it will probably happen....
I cannot follow your logic. you forgot to add a mug.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: September 22, 2012, 06:23:00 pm »

its a wooden anything. mugs included.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 815