Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178150 times)

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5625 on: September 23, 2012, 04:47:29 pm »

@Talvi: I understand he didn't know, but I (and my dwarf) tend to be impulsive when it comes to defending those who we consider our friends.

I think at least my dwarf would end up cornering Urist somewhere and talking to him about it. I'm not a violent person at heart, and I don't think dorf!Magnus would want to really get in a fight with someone unless he had to.

Anxiously awaiting the next updates, but take your time.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: September 23, 2012, 08:50:16 pm »

Uh guys, I just came across something that could be really bad.  According to TVTropes (warning, following link may result in lots of time disappearing from your life):

Necromancers are bad enough, but if one is killed in Fortress mode and isn't interred or memorialized properly, they, like everyone else, can become a ghost to come back and haunt you. What's - really - creepy is that they can still raise corpses... including their own.

they can still raise corpses

Please tell me measures have been taken to prevent this.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: September 23, 2012, 08:55:44 pm »

Any dwarven necromancers have likely been interred in the clover and/or memorialized. Thier remains are otherwise locked in a waste closet in the mess hall or have been incinerated.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: September 23, 2012, 09:30:39 pm »

Yes, and what's more interesting is that one of them, Deler Inkblushed the Union of Haunts, the most recent necromancer to die in 207 was the first king of our civ from 1- 72 iirc. Fischer's a KINGKILLER.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: September 23, 2012, 09:42:35 pm »

Holy balls, so..... We commited regicide without meaning to. AWESOME.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: September 23, 2012, 09:44:46 pm »

Fucking Incredible Superdwarven Culler of Horrors and Ender of Reigns
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: September 23, 2012, 09:45:36 pm »

Any dwarven necromancers have likely been interred in the clover and/or memorialized. Thier remains are otherwise locked in a waste closet in the mess hall or have been incinerated.

But what about the necros who weren't dwarves?  I don't know if it's possible for non-dwarves to return, but the thought of ghost necromancers sounds too scary to risk, especially given how troublesome they were when alive.  After all, being a ghost not only makes them invincible, but makes it impossible to keep them away from anything they could raise.  For example, you could order a cow something butchered, and the moment it is struck down the ghost-necro appears and animates it.  Or worse, he could just pop up in the middle of the clover.  I doubt even Fischer could survive that situation, especially given how many losses the military recently took.  Of course, it is likely that if such happened, the non-military dwarves would be completely unprotected as all the fort's means of turtling an attack were built on the assumption that the enemy would be coming from outside the fort.  That would also make it impossible put the ghost-necro to stop him, as the zombies would constantly interrupt the job.  So yeah, a single ghost-necro could very well bring the entire fort down.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: September 23, 2012, 09:48:36 pm »

"Otherwise interred in a waste closet or incinerated." That threat was dealt with. if we need the added insurance though we can always memorialize the other necromancers.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: September 23, 2012, 09:52:33 pm »

Nominated. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: September 24, 2012, 05:26:40 am »

Nominated. :P
Seconded that.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: September 24, 2012, 07:08:36 am »

Ok so I did a population cenus in my copy of the save, and out fort literally has nothing but atheists and beast worshippers (specifically two titans/FBs, and only a very small number of people worship them, among them Draignean. In fact I think we may or may not have killed them at some point.) Some dwarves have absolutly no releations, and the soldiers who are on full time training only have the same two kids as friends because they can solcialize with soldiers while they train.

I was trying to find the civ's god of war or god of death and that..... kinda backfired. Any new arrivals with a diety will be the only god-fearing folk in the fortress.

EDIT: Would you guys like to see my 'landing pad' of sorts and the palace when it's done?

EDIT II: Spoilered for those who don't want the horrors below spoiled for them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT III:

Now for a speech and holiday dedication.

[Note, I've taken liberties of stylizing titles to sound somewhat less random.]

The following appears to be some kind of speech relating to a military disaster you had read of in an Overseer's journal, that of 208. There appears to be sprinklings of notes in the margines and occasionally doodles of hammers, ballista bolts, and in the space at the bottom of what looks like a human who'd been bludgeoned to death

Today is a day of mourning for Spearbreakers. Today we suffered a horrible disaster that has claimed the lieves of several of our best warriors. The enemy came in force, and in numbers great enough to claim several of our soldiers, but we have also shown the fell detective's creations that in the face of such odds, our fortress would not go quietly into the night, and the enemy's strength was broken. Let us remeber those lost in the battle.

Sergeant Pokonic Pointwire, known by our enemies as The Gate of Frost.
'Soul Slicer' James Lanterncaught, called by the enemy The Solitary Light.
Ezum Presittrade, The Diamond Cavern.
Hakah Machinedvoice, called The Abated Continent by both friend and foe for his great size.
Krypta Boardallied, The Humble Lace. Why she insisted on adding that red lace to her uniform I'll never know.
Adil Entrancedletter, A soldier of 2nd Squad who had yet to earn a name for himself.
Litar Gladtomb, Likewise as Adil.
The Bastard child of our long gone friend Sus, Sus Minthelmed the third known by our foes as The Diamond Haunt.

Along with them, two soldiers from the mountainhall laid down thier lives assisting our forces. However I know not thier names, but only that they fought admirably against a greater spawn and one of its minions. May all of these heroes rest easy with thier fellows in The Clover, and enjoy claiming thier place as agents of the reaper.

Now, I propose that we remeber our fallen with reveralry and song, not forlorn reflection. So I declare this day, the third of Moonstone, to be The Day of Heroes. We shall remember all our lost comrades with song and drink, as such is the dwarven way. Now, on to other business, since we're all here, I hereby promote Paintbrushturkey to the position of Sergeant of 2nd squad both by merit of being the only member still in one peice, and by recommendation from Lord Reudh, Colonel Fischer, and Jack Magnus. Also, I have had a banner commisioned, to be unvieled once it is done. Now, for the last peice of this speech, I only say let all drink thier fill, though I recommend avoiding the wine after what it did to our current overseer.

[There, not great, but I needed to write something for the poor bastards. And the ending is basically Splint's way of saying 'take the whole damn barrel if you want it.']

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: September 24, 2012, 08:07:52 am »

Awesome Splint. :) really like what you did with the characters. I think it's neat that we have funerals at Spearbreakers (even if just mass funerals), unlike a lot of forts that just bury their dead and get it over with. The holiday was a nice touch.

We may need to expand The Clover. >.> Perhaps make it more rounded and clover-like, I don't know. maybe just bigger.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: September 24, 2012, 08:25:52 am »

I hold soldiers in the highest regard and as such, they deserve a funeral, half assed though it may be. Any civvies who go down also need to be remembered.

So, in alternate timeline spearbreakers, there was a minor construction snafu. Nobody died that I can tell, but there were broken bones to be had. No wait, mitch was killed. Landed on his head.  :(

EDIT: So did kannan. Bled out. Oh well. On a strange note, I can't seem to find anybody who knew mitch.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:27 am »

Y'know, I would've expected Mitch's brain to cushion his fall... As to Mitch not knowing anybody... I guess that comes from never, ever going On Break?

Are you keeping marksdwarves stationed down there, in this little alternate timeline?

Oh, and important question, very soon to be relevant: Should Spearbreakers in general find out about the timewar? Opinions? Thoughts? I have a way to work it in if it's wanted...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: September 24, 2012, 08:52:37 am »

Actually I'm not. The demons come spread far enough apart that first squad basically tears them to shreds. Literally. Hell Fischer bit one in half. Four demons went down while I was watching the workers build an expanded walkway and I didn't notice until I saw a pile of dead shadow devils. Only shooting that got done was a crafter who's in a civil defense unit and he missed all his shots.

Timewar: Depends I guess. Most of the agents have done a good job of keeping quiet, and those who've interacted with the fortress directly were able to pass themselves off as run of the mill mercs with shiney armor.

EDIT: Alternate history update: Talvieno has been taken by a fey mood, intent upon maxing out her armoring skill. She will want ione adamantine wafer. If it's a breastplate, I am going to shit myself.

EDIT II: Mercifully, she forged an adamtine shield. Suggestions on what to do with it?
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 815