Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178139 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5670 on: September 27, 2012, 12:59:31 pm »

Ah fanboyism, ain't you just grand?

Also I feel like something bad is going to happen to the fortress soon. WHY DO I FEEL LIKE SOME HORRIBLE CATASTROPHE IS GOING TO HAPPEN SOON.

Don't make me do this.

Because this. IS. SPEARBREAKERS!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: September 27, 2012, 01:06:46 pm »

Or because a bunch of our guys were killed because the spawn were somehow able to ignor the crowd control measure.

Although I do take that as a sign we dun good and REALLY pissed them off.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: September 27, 2012, 07:05:59 pm »

Ah fanboyism, ain't you just grand?

Also I feel like something bad is going to happen to the fortress soon. WHY DO I FEEL LIKE SOME HORRIBLE CATASTROPHE IS GOING TO HAPPEN SOON.

Don't make me do this.

Because this. IS. SPEARBREAKERS!
HEY! THATS MY JOB! >:(
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:07 pm »

Well, why didn't you do it then? :P

Anyway, bump? How dead this place is. Reudh, UPDATE PLZ! :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:41 pm »

Reudh hasn't updated because he's been waiting on me. :( I couldn't get on today - computer was in use. Tomio, I was trying to ask you for permission before I used your character, but it doesn't look like I'll really have time. If you want me to, I can switch Tomio's cameo with another character, if it goes against what you'd had planned.
I'd wanted to wait until I had someone look it over and check it for me, but again... time. I've been holding this thread up at least two days.

WHAT REUDH HAS BEEN WAITING ON:
(by the way, the italics portion won't make any sense to you if you haven't read the "Dr. Urist Jones" bits I posted before.)
Vanya's Journal, Chapter 28
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rose's story will be posted later, if I have Xahnel's permission. Have to get off now (I'm dead tired), but I'll (hopefully) be back on tomorrow morning.

edit: By the way, who noticed BFEL's awesome description of Spearbreakers in the Hall of Legends?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:22:46 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: September 28, 2012, 12:02:46 am »

Whoa.
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: September 28, 2012, 12:35:18 am »

Of course you got my permission, tal, why would i have done the thing with the thing if i didn't want it posted?

Also, things are seeming paradox-y to me. I can't rightly explain why, but it's not the timeline, it's more of a if this didn't happen then that wouldn't have happened, but then this would have happened and caused that to happen, and thus this and that are inextricably linked across time, space, and at least three distinct realities.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: September 28, 2012, 12:38:37 am »

Of course you got my permission, tal, why would i have done the thing with the thing if i didn't want it posted?

Also, things are seeming paradox-y to me. I can't rightly explain why, but it's not the timeline, it's more of a if this didn't happen then that wouldn't have happened, but then this would have happened and caused that to happen, and thus this and that are inextricably linked across time, space, and at least three distinct realities.

You forgot to add the mug and carry the time travel. It all makes sense once you do that.
He's fucking with us.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: September 28, 2012, 01:03:43 am »

Ah yes, the mug, representing the little things in life no one can plan, forsee, or prevent. Of course, this doesn't make anything any clearer in my brain. It only makes things... Muggier. ;)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: September 28, 2012, 06:27:11 am »

:-\ How so? That didn't really make any sense to me... Could you give an example? I proofread twice...
    Edit: I think you may be referring to how the confrontation originally occurred at the living quarters... I had to change that because it didn't really make sense - but I gave her a similar hallway. It's just in a different location.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:06:39 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: September 28, 2012, 07:29:59 am »

Ah, another wonderful story post from one of our resident uberauthors. Well done! Even got the typos!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: September 28, 2012, 07:35:10 am »

Lol, uberauthor? thanks... =)

And here is what happened between Rose and the Ballpoint contractors, as roleplayed in PM between Xahnel and I.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So... Should the contractors escape, or should one of the slower ones (or all of them) get captured? If they do, then Spearbreakers will officially know about the timewar... Right now, only Vanya, Wari, Mr Frog and Draconik know. Edit: and Kannan.
edited again because I accidentally missed a part.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:48:26 am by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: September 28, 2012, 07:50:10 am »

You don't fuck with ANY of the soldiers in this place if you value your life. That's like asking satan to come tear your head off, because Fischer don't take too kindly to her troops being injured (nominally even Splint's bodyguard detail falls under Fischer's direct command since they're soldiers.)

I still say just flip a coin.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: September 28, 2012, 08:54:20 am »

Wow. That was great, Tal. Now that's done, I can begin my update.

23rd Moonstone 208

I heard a bit of a commotion outside. Apparently Varn and Sapper ran afoul of some ravens. Varn shot one in the legs, and it's flying around leaving blood everywhere.
Sapper shot one so accurately that it flew through the air, and landed in a murky pool unconscious. He then went around crowing about his 'hole in one'.

Codyorr also felt the need to shoot one. It fell unconscious mid flight, splattered on the ground and took off again, shooting him a death glare.

Mm, bird. I'd say 'We're eating tonight' but because of Simon Tam's brokering and my overseering, we have enough food to last a few years.

The spawn containment facility has been finished, and are merely awaiting the order so the spawn can be loosed. When they are loosed, our marksdwarves will train on them with gusto while the thickheads can't even fight back. I look forward to it.

28th Moonstone 208

I saw a little child sitting in the barracks crying. Her name is Lokum, she tells me in amidst tears. I feel I should transcribe it here.

"Hello there, young dwarf. Are you alright?" I ask her.
"I... You're Mister Rude, aren't you? My name's Lokum. I'm sad because my friend died..."

"Oh... that's terrible. Who was your friend?"

"Mr Pokonic. Friend of mummy's. He dieded. Just like my big brother Stakud. Just like daddy Ezum. They all died. I got scared that Mummy wouldn't come back from the nasty fight that our place had recently. She is really strong and everything but so many people died and also Mr Pokonic who is as strong as Mummy is too."

I was a little taken aback. Little child showing such emotion.

"Uh... Lokum, remember that you can go to any of us in Spearbreakers if you need someone to talk to. Fischer may look scary-" and here Fischer nodded, "but she is a big softie really."

Fischer came over, took off her helmet with some effort, which gleamed. She'd just finished polishing it. Dicer was hard at work showing Skitara some new moves to hit foes with.
Fischer smiled at little Lokum, and it was truly the kindest smile I have ever seen.
"Lokum, we all love you very much here. I will make sure your mummy is safe from the nasty monsters. I mean it."

Fischer picked Lokum up and hugged her tight, and took her over to her mother Dicer.

"Dicer, Lokum's been feeling a little scared lately. Maybe you could have a talk to her?"

Skitara motioned to Dicer.
"Go on, Dicer." he said.

Dicer walked to Lokum, and hugged her. "Lokum, I love you. You are my life. You and Kadol are what I live for." Dicer began crying... perhaps a little overwhelmed by the emotion flowing; perhaps remembering her brutally slain husband Ezum, or her eldest, now dead son Stakud. Or Pokonic.

It was a truly touching sight. Fischer spoke in a slightly strangled voice.
"Touches my heart, it does. Makes me wish I settled down and had kids."

I couldn't help but let a single tear out. It really was touching seeing Dicer hug her littlest daughter like she was going to lose her tomorrow. And to see Fischer showing emotion... she's much more a dwarf than I ever thought she was.

Lokum seemed to cheer up a bit, and as Dicer set her down, I walked to Dicer.
"Dicer, I know you and I never really saw eye to eye... but what I saw touched my heart. Stakud and Ezum's deaths have affected you heavily and you have my condolences. If ever you need my help, come to my office and I will talk to you."

She wiped the tears out of her eyes and smiled.
"Thanks, Reudh. Any time."

26th Moonstone 208

We're... We're under attack again.

Already. Not Spawn. Not Barbarians. Not Goblins... but 'mercs'. I have no idea what they are. They look like humans, at least in shape, but they have weird attire. Not just that, but the most curious looking woman came to me. I didn't really feel a thing for any woman since recovering from the drug addling... I do remember apologising to Rose for my addle-pated state.

Anyway, I recognised this one as Vanya. She's tall and willowy, a rather odd build for a dwarf. I find it... intriguing. Oh, Reudh you sleaze!
She said this:
"Lord Reudh?" Oh, she used my title. Ha, that pleased me. Someone finally used my title without an acerbic sound to it. What a woman.
Well, I enquired what was wrong. She seemed out of breath, a look that most suited her. REUDH, YOU LECHER. and really quite frightened.
"Jack sent... We're under attack. Spearbreakers... is under attack... from mercs." The word was strange. I rolled it around in my mouth. "Mercs."
"Yes... could you... Reudh. Raise the alarm. Now."
I felt a bit of fear. What were these Mercs? Are they a special kind of Spawn? A new tribe of humans?

I had to raise the alarm. Vanya wanted me to.

"Certainly! It will be done at once! I am dreadfully sorry if you've been attacked! Might I be able to assist?" I asked her. As a gentleman does. Even though Vanya is much taller than I, and no doubt could hold her own, I must ask.

She seemed flustered. Ah, Reudh, you casanova! "...N-no. But thank you."

She turned to leave, and as she left and I started to jog in place to run to the Horn of Spearbreakers, she stopped, turned back and walked to me, rather close. Whoo..

She pecked me on the cheek! No evidence of a fey mood here either. Just... a peck on the cheek. What a woman she is indeed. My philandering works. I must write a book on it; after all... I think it would help the men of Spearbreakers. Especially Splint. I don't think he and Rose have gone anywhere yet. I could teach him the way of the gallant, the debonair Reudh's ways. And Rose would be putty in his arms.

And as soon as I had gathered my wits, to speak volumes to Vanya of the life of Reudh and a prospective woman to have and to hold, she had gone.

I remembered my duties. I headed quickly to the Horn of Spearbreakers, where I summoned all my breath and blew it as loud as possible. The drums began playing, as our soldiers moved into position. LUB-dub-LUB-dub-d-dub they sounded.

I rushed down to the lockdown chambers. Most of Spearbreaker's civilians were in there. I spotted Lokum, the little child from a few days ago. She looked inconsolable; Dicer was off fighting again.
"Mummy's gone again! Mummy's gone again! Why...?"

I walked over to the little dwarf and sat down next to her.
"She'll be alright, Lokum. Hush, she'll be fine."

I felt a stirring of patriarchal cluckiness. This child needs a father... I am not the one who should be her father, I could never replace Ezum. And Dicer is not my cup of sunshine either... I am loathe to say.

I hope it all goes well.
We don't need any more losses... nine soldiers lost in the Siege of Cuts, where we've got a force of about 40. That's heavy. Hopefully Fischer and the others can pull this off without a loss.

Oddly, I don't see Vanya anywhere. What a pity. I was going to present her with a few flowers. I knew that floriography profession back home was not going to go to waste.

I was going to give her a magnolia, for the Love of Nature; a orchid that reflects her Refined Beauty, and a jonquil in the hope she Returns my Affection.

What a pity. I shall do it when the lockdown is over.

Oddly enough, I don't see Talvi anywhere either...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: September 28, 2012, 09:04:25 am »

Update at last! Hooray! And a somewhat touching one at that.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 815