Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2189659 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5700 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »

BODY_SIZE has been confirmed via math to be an absolute measure of the creature's average volume in cubic millimeters. The HEIGHT and BROADNESS modifiers, however, are relative -- they are unitless, and only make sense when used with an unspecified standardised reference point (which I take to be the creature's average dimensions, whatever they happen to be).
    I'm pretty sure that, from a game-mechanics standpoint, 100 is the species average. What the first example you highlighted essentially says is that every single member of the species is 125% as tall as the average member of the species and described as such, which... doesn't make much sense, but I guess Toady figured nobody would try that :p  I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that the HEIGHT (etc.) modifiers are in fact applied to the creature's effective size after the fact, so a SIZE:60000 creature that is of HEIGHT:125 would actually be treated as SIZE:75000 (25% bigger). (I've heard it said otherwise, though, so... grain of salt.)

While I admit there isn't really anything specifically proving my interpretation as correct, it makes more sense to me than what you're proposing, which admittedly also makes sense.
    I'm not trying to pass down a final decree here, though; I'm just giving my interpretation of the raws. You didn't have to jump on me.

(Let's please just leave it at that, though. I've been sick recently, and I'm still feeling really drained, and as such I can't promise I'll be able to keep a level head if this turns into a debate.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: September 28, 2012, 02:47:26 pm »

I apologize. I was just enjoying a little debate; I didn't mean for it to be taken the wrong way.

I'm pretty sure that, from a game-mechanics standpoint, 100 is the species average. What the first example you highlighted essentially says is that every single member of the species is 125% as tall as the average member of the species and described as such, which... doesn't make much sense, but I guess Toady figured nobody would try that :p  I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that the HEIGHT (etc.) modifiers are in fact applied to the creature's effective size after the fact, so a SIZE:60000 creature that is of HEIGHT:125 would actually be treated as SIZE:75000 (25% bigger).
This is all true. :P Technically, it doesn't make sense, if you try to fit it to real-world physics. Taller creatures are larger than shorter creatures of the same species, thus, a taller creature has a larger body size than a normal creature of said species.

I do prefer taller elves, though.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5702 on: September 28, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »

Let's just all assume the shit we get from goblins and elves is a matter of it barely fits or is somewhat baggy. Vanya is probably an inch or so taller than run of the mill beardling, or on the shorter end for elves. In the former case it'd allow her to stand out if you actually looked closely, otherwise her overall build would still giver her away (elves are implied to otherwise be of a slight build correct? And I don't mean that as a flimsy one, just less robust in appearance.)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: September 28, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »

Well, why didn't you do it then? :P

Anyway, bump? How dead this place is. Reudh, UPDATE PLZ! :P
wasent on yet.
Adamantine plated automaton. Why is it I imagined it like some kind of hilariously implausible battlesuit coming out of a rucksack?

i love this. can it be a quote?

and for the necros..... can it be that they are really parasol agents? it might make sense... for there IS biomass.. and parasol might want us gone.... or i might just be grasping at straws.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: September 28, 2012, 03:08:19 pm »

One of the necros was our civ's first king, so that's kind of ruled out.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5705 on: September 28, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »

sleeper agents?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5706 on: September 28, 2012, 03:14:30 pm »

Kinda defeats the purpose since necromancers almost universally have a seeming NEED to destroy everything in sight except other necromancers. Sure they can get along fine, but for some reason Knows secrets = must destroy EVERYTHING most of the time.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: September 28, 2012, 03:30:48 pm »

Splint's right, Necromancers usually want to destroy everything in sight. :P   And Parasol doesn't want Spearbreakers gone - it's basically their base... well, sort of. Well, not really, but kind of... in a really, really roundabout way. Plus a mug. If anybody wants Spearbreakers gone, it's Ballpoint. I doubt Eris and Stone Inc. care whether it remains, though Joseph would probably like it around so he could use it in his scheming. Ballpoint can't like how it's pretty much a Parasol stronghold... I'm surprised they don't just come out and wipe Spearbreakers off the face of the world/Everoc at this point, but I suppose they just haven't quite gotten there yet.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5708 on: September 28, 2012, 03:41:47 pm »

Destroy Spearbreakers before history says it got destroyed, and they end up obliterating history itself, and Parasol/Ballpoint seem to have alot invested in this particular timestream so that would be bad. Hell the fact Spearbreakers hasn't gone under yet is probably keeping this clusterfuck stable.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5709 on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »

@mr frog: i did tell splint about the powers halen would be using, and he didn't object. Please also note that rose only got three hits in, and became very tired very fast.
EDIT: But seriously, pm any complaints, and i'll see what i can do.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:00:04 pm by Xahnel »

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: September 28, 2012, 04:08:59 pm »

Destroy Spearbreakers before history says it got destroyed, and they end up obliterating history itself, and Parasol/Ballpoint seem to have alot invested in this particular timestream so that would be bad. Hell the fact Spearbreakers hasn't gone under yet is probably keeping this clusterfuck stable.

I'm not sure about Ballpoint, however Parasol has alot of investments linked to Everoc, its just that Spearbreakers being where/when/what it is.
(Central fortress vs Spawn, Center of the Time War across mutliple Times,  Chaos Central with a mug full of insanity as a side dish)
Makes Spearbreakers a prime canidate for so much.  Also makes it as chronological safe as a slice of swiss chesse used to hold back a Raging River during a Hurricane and a earthquake.
With all Seriousness however if/when this fortress finally goes it's probally going to take Time with it.  (Hence the Time Splitter Device, try and save abit of time, and maybe bits of Spearbreakers)

Also I have work this weekend however i'm working on my next two entries, and I will tie in the Ballpoint attack to the next one.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: September 28, 2012, 04:16:48 pm »

rose only got three hits in, and became very tired very fast.

>Hammer made of super heavy/dense/radioactive rock
>>Has creature causing minor impairment by energy leeching
>>>Gee I wonder how she got tired quick.

@ Draconik - When it gets whacked by whatever does it in, that'll be considered when time says it was lost, and hence no timestream implosion. So long as they don't leave any game changers (like a Ballpoint made railgun instead of one of Mr Frog's comparitivly shitty duct tape and bailing wire assbled ones) everything should be fine, though "should" can easily become  "by a thread because someone pitched a nuclear mug at the universe's sanity."

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5712 on: September 28, 2012, 07:39:03 pm »

Ruedh: Any chance of debt collectors showing up to harass your dorf due to my will?  I just decided that, if it wouldn't mess up the story too much, it might be interesting for them to show up and explain that my deceased dorf came to Spearbreakers was hope of striking it rich to pay off massive amounts of money he owed (think around the value of Trailmachines, the Fellowship of Right, Holistic's artifact adamantine plate mail).  I don't want to add anything to the story that might affect anyone else's dorf too much without their permission, but still want my dorf's final "screw you" to mean something.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5713 on: September 28, 2012, 07:43:54 pm »

I'm guessing he was either a heavy gambler until he got drafted or he just had REALLY shitty luck in the entrepenurial realm.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5714 on: September 28, 2012, 08:05:36 pm »

SSJ, I'd be happy to... Reudh could be backed into a corner by the debt collector's bruisers, and call out for help. The army would likely rip the bruisers and probably the debt collectors into shreds for daring to attack an overseer though.
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381] 382 383 ... 815