Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178838 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5745 on: September 30, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »

If by that you mean how I skipped past quite a bit (especially during her cavern travels), then yeah. I felt that pages and pages of "and I walked a little further, and saw another big mushroom" would be horribly boring to read through, but I possibly overdid it. If you mean you don't know how I got from point A to point B... I'm not sure what to say. :-\

edit: if you mean you don't see where I'm going with this, rest assured I do have somewhere in mind that this is headed. Really, if you're going to criticize, at least make it clear what part you're criticizing. :P lol   I'm still not sure I understand what you mean.

reedit: really, though, what did I do wrong with that chapter? :-\
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:36:54 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:01 pm »

[The following is set at the start of winter.]

2st Moonstone, 208.

Mr Frog said something about a celestial event that'd be worth seeing if we were into that sort of thing yesterday afternoon. We were curious, so I told Rose, Crusher, and Thumper to take the night off. Rose and I decided we'd climb atop the fist and see what it was, an it appeared to be a rather stunning meteoritic storm. When we arrived we were sort of suprised to see Mr Frog jotting down notes, and I heard him mutter "more than usual" or some such nonesense. I asked him about it and he said that these had been happening for nearly a year and a half now, just never this noticably, so he figured he'd let us know if we wanted to see it. He had appearently taken to studdiying thie fall pattern and noted they seemed to all be landing in the Amber Barb range or nearby it. All three of us found this strange, but Rose and I decided to just enjoy the show while Mr Frog kept writing things down.

We were eventually joined by others, mostly soldiers on the nightwatch shift. Paintbrush, Skitara and Awl said they'd just gotten off and decided to come and see the show too, and Thumper came along saying Crusher had drunk himself stupid again (to regularly get that drunk is commendable for a dwarf!) Compared to Rose, Thumper, and Myself I must admit they all look terrifyingly more intimidating. There was also this wierd little fellow wearing the colors of the soapers guild up there, just sort of muttering to himself.... Maybe I need to establish a psychiatric ward. It'd probably do me some good as well...

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: September 30, 2012, 06:15:05 pm »

@Talvi:

I think he meant that it didn't really advance the central plot very much. There's a bunch of stuff that either had already been gone over repeatedly or didn't really seem notable enough to merit much more than a quick acknowledgement. The update was roughly 3200 words long, but it probably could easily have been reduced to 2700 without much of interest being lost.

(It was still good, mind; it's just that it could easily have been a bit better in my eyes.)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: September 30, 2012, 06:37:28 pm »

Stone inc likes dropships for their intimidation value and solarpowered airships for their low cost.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: September 30, 2012, 06:41:47 pm »

Ballpoint has been established as the only force with reasonable airpower. The  SRA has those flimsy gunship things, but up against a Moghopper they're fairly pathetic. Solar Powered airships sound pretty cool though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: September 30, 2012, 06:43:54 pm »

and they exist. helios airships.

as for airpower, think. big thing w/o radar signature, w/ BIG gun, camera, out of range of guns = what?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5751 on: September 30, 2012, 06:46:07 pm »

Image in head: Armor plated airship-thing with a massive soalr array on top, with a bunch of very large guns for ground attack hanging from the bottom and a few Air to air batteries along the sides. Death from above indeed.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: September 30, 2012, 07:05:40 pm »

above cloud level. costing only 2-3k a year.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: September 30, 2012, 07:08:22 pm »

Good luck hiding from that!

Thermals: hmm, vaugly moghopper shaped object... hmm, sort of enemy base shaped thing, and we got a nice over cast day..... MAN THE GUNS!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: September 30, 2012, 07:11:30 pm »

i still think that Stone INC has good aircraft, just noone sees them.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: September 30, 2012, 07:19:29 pm »

Sadly you arrived late to the airwar party. Though unarmed  transports probably wouldn't be out of the question, since they'd need a way to appear nonthreatening before shoving a gun down your throat at the landing pad.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: September 30, 2012, 07:27:20 pm »

well, there goes 6 drawings...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: September 30, 2012, 07:29:08 pm »

Hey now, don't take that as discouragement. Post'em anayways when you get the opprotunity!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5758 on: September 30, 2012, 07:30:22 pm »

Ballpoint has been established as the only force with reasonable airpower. The  SRA has those flimsy gunship things, but up against a Moghopper they're fairly pathetic. Solar Powered airships sound pretty cool though.
Ennnhhhh, do not like. It doesn't make sense. They have time travel, they hop dimensions with ease, and yet somehow, pretty much nobody has airpower? When was this decided?

If time travel is even possible, we're thousands of years from it, and yet we STILL have plenty of airborne combat vehicles. Hitting a target in the air is a lot harder than it sounds, Splint.

edit: if there's any reason that airborne vehicles haven't shown up yet, it's got to be that they don't want to alert the world to the fact they exist. It's hard to hide an airplane in the bushes. But the idea that nobody has formidable airborne technology frankly seems pretty ridiculous. :P

reedit: I do agree, though, that airships should be kept completely out of any battles surrounding Spearbreakers, at least for the time being. If the dwarves saw airships overhead, that would cause a ton of shit to go down, and probably mass chaos... which couldn't be explained through game/canon ties. At the same time, I think that the final battle between Parasol and Ballpoint, when all stops were pulled, would probably have airships - and in huge quantities.

triedit (yeah):
above cloud level. costing only 2-3k a year.
Your math doesn't make sense, either, by the way. :P Even a jet fighter costs around 100,000,000 US dollars (roughly). If you scale money to food, assuming that a dwarf eats about 10 units of food per year, and a real-life human consumes about $1000 worth of food yearly (roughly) and in DF, food is worth about 2 dorfbucks apiece, that means that same jet fighter in DF ought to cost around 200 billion dorfbucks. :D   (I could have the numbers off for the fighter jet price, but the bare minimum is 100 billion dorfbucks.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 07:59:30 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: September 30, 2012, 07:59:31 pm »

I do agree, though, that airships should be kept completely out of any battles surrounding Spearbreakers, at least for the time being. If the dwarves saw airships overhead, that would cause a ton of shit to go down, and probably mass chaos... which couldn't be explained through game/canon ties. At the same time, I think that the final battle between Parasol and Ballpoint, when all stops were pulled, would probably have airships - and in huge quantities.

Giant birds, goblins being sent flying, a megaproject... Hell, I bet we could make a airship in DF if the game allowed it.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 815