Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178201 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5820 on: October 04, 2012, 06:05:31 pm »

Easy. Telescopes. A bit better than what we have, but it's the easiest thing in the world.

Edit: And by the way, they either have to have telescopes, or space travel, because otherwise they never would've found Everoc in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:13:41 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: October 04, 2012, 06:23:38 pm »

Why do I feel a debate coming on.

I mean, if it's a good distance out, even the best terrestrial telescopes would be ineffective at mapping a planetary surface, let alone one obscured by comparitivly hot gasses which would also render thermal imaging difficult. Having the coordinates you need on your own world is one thing, because well.... You live there. Having them of an alien world that would be more trouble than it's worth even by DF standards to even build a research station on though, is a stretch even for the portal tech which if I recall right need some kind of coordinate mapping that has to be fairly accurate to avoid complications during transit (such as silly things like death.) that's not even counting that even Parasol relies on machines that would suffer horribly under that planet's conditions, to say nothing of humans, dwarves or what have you deployed there just to keep the locals from killing the construction crews and trashing machinery.

Ina word, it's easier using the Sequivet as a catalyst (maybe they want to see how these creatures adapt to a well lit world full of all manner of creature) for the Scythod's arrival. Will they become the apex predator on this world as well? or will they become prey in some twisted role reversal? Following a brief absence period, research stations and colonies are established out of a want to do more up close observations of what's gone on or just those of thier kind looking at the planet as an opprotunity.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: October 04, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »

It's starting to feel like you're trying to paint an image of Ballpoint being the "White Knights" of the universe, an image that clashes horribly with the fact that they were going to kill off an entire continent of sentient creatures just to test what the spawn were capable of. :P

I mean, if it's a good distance out, even the best terrestrial telescopes would be ineffective at mapping a planetary surface, let alone one obscured by comparitivly hot gasses which would also render thermal imaging difficult. Having the coordinates you need on your own world is one thing, because well.... You live there. Having them of an alien world that would be more trouble than it's worth even by DF standards to even build a research station on though, is a stretch even for the portal tech which if I recall right need some kind of coordinate mapping that has to be fairly accurate to avoid complications during transit (such as silly things like death.) that's not even counting that even Parasol relies on machines that would suffer horribly under that planet's conditions, to say nothing of humans, dwarves or what have you deployed there just to keep the locals from killing the construction crews and trashing machinery.
First, you estimate. Pop a portal, send somebody through in a suit and some tech, reestimate, and then you can put a portal right on the planet surface. Easy as anything. You're likely to miss the planet on your first try, and if you want to be careful, you stay out of the portal and stick a camera through - or even just a wooden stick. If it comes back in one piece, it's safe to go through. It makes all the sense in the world.

However, Ballpoint wanting them as soldiers also makes all the sense in the world, as they've been previously demonstrated to do just this: use many different species in their armies. The seqivet having them as "pest control" makes absolutely none. Scythods don't inherently possess any weaponry more powerful than bone tools, but are more than capable of adapting to use what they find. Seqivet, on the other hand, have electronic gadgetry, plasma weapons, etc. If they wanted to wage war on all of dwarfworld, they could, and easily. They don't need the scythods at all, and that problem was one of the ones that bugged Mr Frog half to death while he was working on the Frogmod.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:41:48 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: October 04, 2012, 06:40:57 pm »

White knights my ass, soldiers are expensive to replace if they get eaten. (AKA guns and armor can't be resued if they're bent and shredded to scrap. Implying they care more about the gear than the soldiers :P)

I still don't like the idea of Ballpoint going out of thier way to find aliens to use as soldiers. the spawn were here already so they make sense. But whatever, I've said my peice.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: October 04, 2012, 06:43:39 pm »

White knights my ass, soldiers are expensive to replace if they get eaten. (AKA guns and armor can't be resued if they're bent and shredded to scrap. Implying they care more about the gear than the soldiers :P)

I still don't like the idea of Ballpoint going out of thier way to find aliens to use as soldiers. the spawn were here already so they make sense. But whatever, I've said my peice.
But Ballpoint wasn't here already. They had to come here for the Spawn. Ballpoint is from elsewhere. If they'd come here for the Spawn, they might go to scythodworld for the scythod.

Also, lol at the soldiers joke. It made me chuckle. :P And good point.

Spoiler: random and offtopic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:49:18 pm by Talvieno »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: October 04, 2012, 07:10:39 pm »

I was just trying to justify them knowing about them at all. It seems pointless even for dwarves to go LOOKING for things that want to kill and eat them, much less ones that will turn thier best soldiers (and by extention themselves if the bugs managed to get even a few in before the portal shut) into bloody mush and tattered body armor (I can only imagine what they did to your soldiers on that glacial fort.) Oh well though, I don't want you to rewrite a whole mess. It just seemed off that they SOMEHOW had already working knowlege of the planet to send a portal opening to and how to communicate with the local apex predator (I assume they are this, since they posses language, possibly primitive toolmaking and an assumed martial culture because of thier predatory nature.)

I now have in mind a random little thing about the change in the way soldiers fight thanks to Mr Frog's inventions here, despite them being crude imitations or even outright whole-cloth expierimental weapons with what little knowlege and gear he had or could have smuggled to him.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: October 05, 2012, 06:11:42 am »

I now have in mind a random little thing about the change in the way soldiers fight thanks to Mr Frog's inventions here, despite them being crude imitations or even outright whole-cloth expierimental weapons with what little knowlege and gear he had or could have smuggled to him.
Actually, now that Mr Frog has his real PEA, he can start making major improvements to his designs and mass-producing, though he still wouldn't have the appropriate equipment to perfect them. I think weapons were a sort of hobby for him before, but now he's actually getting to put it to good use.

Also, where is everybody? Spearbreakers fell onto the second page. *glares*

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: October 05, 2012, 09:02:35 am »

I'm starting to worry I scared everyone away. I'd hate that. :( Updates, Reudh?

And... the next chapter.
Vanya's Journals, Chapter 30: Scythods
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:50:08 pm by Talvieno »

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: October 05, 2012, 09:28:51 am »

Nice story!

Too lazy/tired to write up commentary. Get on Tinychat.
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: October 05, 2012, 09:46:04 am »

I can't, I'm afraid. :P I have somewhere I need to be in about an hour or so, so it'll be a while before I get back on, if I do get back on later today.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: October 05, 2012, 09:50:26 am »

I like the Scythod now.

I'll go on tinychat in the morning, and an update shall come too. Tired, it's 1am. :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:18 am »

I find it rather comical what they named that contractor.

Can't pronounce letter J.
Name translator incest.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: October 05, 2012, 02:37:50 pm »

I don't think you have to worry about scaring anyone away with your little debate, Tal :) You, unlike me, are at least polite about it.

Excellent update as always. You did a sterling job conveying the scythod's alien nature.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: October 05, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »

Ah so I moved out of the background a while ago and started killing things. While in real life I started trapping raccoons and possums and killing them. Nice!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: October 06, 2012, 12:18:26 am »

I like the Scythod now.

This. They sounded badass before, but now they sound like legimate sentient beings of wisdom, not just killing machines.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 815