Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2198237 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #6390 on: November 15, 2012, 02:43:13 pm »

Thanks, Splint, and great story post. :P Lol at the Orodogoth reference, I caught it. Orod will be pleased. I'm greatly looking forwards to seeing what The Master manages to do. :D (I doubt he can kill the fort, even if he tries. We have Fischer, after all.)

And... I'll try not to overfry myself. I've been working since around 10 this morning (five hours straight, holy shit), so I think I'm going to take a break now. Only 15 50-post pages left. I guess I'm halfway there.

Splint, you mentioned that there was a third Vanya pic that you worked on, but were never satisfied with... Do you think you might PM it to me? I'd love to have it, even if it didn't get posted in-thread.

we'll just assume that was an unlucky skulker....
Also, agreed on this.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:45:02 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:45 pm »

splint? you do know that you are awesome, right?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: November 15, 2012, 04:08:53 pm »

Not awesome man. But I appreciate the compliment all the same.

EDIT: @ Talvieno - I don't think I have it anymore as I tend to scrap things I'm not happy with.

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6393 on: November 15, 2012, 05:06:55 pm »

Personally, I think that The Master's return was due to how so many dwarves in the fort started reading those necro-tomes.  that could have created a build-up of necromantic energy or something like that.  I theorize that such a thing also is the reason why the different things that can happen in evil biomes.  That, of course, means part of the fort is a prime location to use necromancy.

What do you guys think of this explanation?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6394 on: November 15, 2012, 05:29:03 pm »

Needs more mugs.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #6395 on: November 15, 2012, 06:03:47 pm »

Personally, I think that The Master's return was due to how so many dwarves in the fort started reading those necro-tomes.  that could have created a build-up of necromantic energy or something like that.  I theorize that such a thing also is the reason why the different things that can happen in evil biomes.  That, of course, means part of the fort is a prime location to use necromancy.

I like that. when Talvi and Terrahex got together, both users of black magic, the build up had to go somewhere.
What do you think? Yes? No?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6396 on: November 15, 2012, 06:30:22 pm »

EDIT: @ Talvieno - I don't think I have it anymore as I tend to scrap things I'm not happy with.
Noooooooooo. :( If you do happen to come across it, even as a WIP, send it my way, though. I do like your art, and I'd greatly value any related to my characters, understandably.

Stroke of genius, SoulSlicer. I think it makes perfect sense, and it explains quite a bit otherwise, too.

Something Terrahex and I have been mulling over: Black magic (goblin/necromancer) requires you to read tomes to learn. Reading these tomes leaves runes on your skin, which remain until cut, i.e., the skin bleeds beneath them. The runes are needed to cast the spell. A very knowledgeable dark spellcaster would probably have these rune-tattoos everywhere. (I also have a feeling that overusing the spells would burn (literally) the runes into your skin, possibly causing pain, infections, and/or death (if the person isn't immortal).)
    Lighter magic doesn't take runes, and the tomes in which it's contained (if it is at all) don't confer any special abilities to the reader. Rather, the spell is cast like: "Armok (god name), Megafire Apocalypse (spell incantation)!"  (Implying that you're calling on your god for aid.) The more you're on your god's good side, the more practice you have, and the more willpower you're putting into it, the stronger the spell. Overusing spells annoys your god, and bigger spells annoy them faster. If you annoy them enough, the spells might backfire, or simply not work at all. Overusing "Megafire Apocalypse" would probably be a bad idea, for instance, while you could safely spam "Heal minor scratch" for quite a while before having to worry about annoying your god. :P This also makes the bigger spells much harder to practice with, making it so nobody can get insta-overpowered.
    We were trying to come up with ways to keep magic from being overpowered. These seem some very reasonable drawbacks, and could also explain why the majority of dwarves don't know spells, apart from possible taboos.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: November 15, 2012, 06:36:33 pm »

Quite the logical explanation to magic. And I'll have a look. If I don't I can always draw you something else.

EDIT: Yeah no dice. Just the skulker and extant armored up versions here in the thread.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: November 15, 2012, 06:49:17 pm »

hey tavi, is excessive use soy... 200 times a day or like once a day for 25 years?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6399 on: November 15, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »

I imagine gods with few followers won't mind semi-regular usage (such as a battlemage as a random example who gets into fights every three to five days lets say) if the follower in question is one of the only ones calling upon them for aid. In this lets say a god has a 100 followers but only three invoke thier god's wrath and send it at thier enemies. That god probably wouldn't give a damn so long as it isn't constantly every day. Wherease a god with say a 1000 followers with half of them using combat magic daily would probably get pretty pissed off pretty quick.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: November 15, 2012, 07:31:58 pm »

guessed. i meant with runes, i.e. large uses over large amounts of time possibly negating the nastiest results on the user.
Highly Opinionated Fool

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:49 pm »

Siege everybody!

Suggestions now!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: November 15, 2012, 08:31:26 pm »

What's the attacking force consist of?

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: November 15, 2012, 08:34:34 pm »

guessed. i meant with runes, i.e. large uses over large amounts of time possibly negating the nastiest results on the user.
well I didn't think about that, but probably would have to use it a lot. the recharge for the spell basically negates this though.

Story time!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:24:56 pm by Terrahex »
What do you think? Yes? No?

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: November 15, 2012, 08:34:51 pm »

a shitload of spawn!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 815