Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2191917 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #6420 on: November 16, 2012, 05:47:43 pm »

I've realized that Fischer is now subject to a case of Depending on the writer. Some of us have depicted her as a raging loon at times, some as a sympathetic, if a touch broken and/or socially awkward war vet, others just seem to imply nothing at all weird about her. And some of you guys were worried she'd get flanderized. :P

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: November 16, 2012, 07:45:54 pm »

I guess that as we read we all get a different picture of her in our heads.
What do you think? Yes? No?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: November 16, 2012, 10:28:03 pm »

What we are all trying to do is humanise (dwarvenise?) Fischer so she's not just an emotionless goddess of war.

I can imagine that Fischer is definitely damaged in some way. Fighting your best friend's warped form is a definite nightmare fuel.

My view of Fischer is that she's just like everyone else, albeit of demigodly strength. She has foibles, she has strengths. The best characters are three dimensional: and having a mere 'UNTOUCHABLE DEMIGOD' as a character is flat as flat can be.
Like in my writing, she feels emotion. She doesn't tear up though. As shown during the Softa journal, or when Dicer's child was terrified about the spawn attacks, she has a soft side. She is a stern character, though. In battle she fights like a dwarf possessed- mercy is not given. Her features light up like a banshee or berserker, her eyes maniacally wide open, her teeth bared in a savage rictus of fury.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: November 16, 2012, 10:33:11 pm »

Yeah, when she's not  sticking her head in spawn maws and biting out thier teeth.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37:23 pm »

I'd think that Fischer would be awkward around children...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37:56 pm »

shes allready around them. and they are helped by this.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: November 16, 2012, 11:39:44 pm »

In fact her only in-game friends are the kids of one of her squad mates.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: November 16, 2012, 11:41:07 pm »

see? most likely to be a badass.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: November 17, 2012, 07:52:18 am »

Great story so far, Terrahex. Love what you did with Talvi.

I figured out the "Depending On The Writer" thing a while back, when I was saying that anyone who made an in-character journal log for Fischer would likely get retconned or ignored by half of everybody. She's a figure of legend, and like a figure of legend, everybody has a different take on her.

IMPORTANT NEWS (in my mind): I've worked out a reason for the Spawn to be attacking Spearbreakers.
    Sankis is, as some have said, Armok's nemesis. He would therefore attack the place where Armok has the most power. As Armok is the God of Blood, the blood plains would be a sign of his power, and Spearbreakers just so happens to sit right next to them. If you wanted, you could say that the blood rain is a sign from Armok that he hasn't given up on the world.
    Furthering this epic-meta-clusterfuck are all the portals from parallel universes. I imagine that it'd be ridiculous to believe that whenever a portal opened, the gods stayed put on their side of them, since every universe would have its own gods. With all the activity from Parasol, Ballpoint, Eris and Stone INC., I think it's very likely that their gods are trying to increase their power on the Everoc side. If this is true, then it's not just a war between Parasol and Ballpoint, and it's not just a war between dwarves and spawn... it's a war between the gods of five universes, all battling for more power, and even with that, Armok is showing the dwarves of Spearbreakers that the fight isn't yet lost. Perhaps the war on the ground is part of the war in the heavens, in that if Spearbreakers falls, Armok's enemies gain a foothold.

I could also be tired, sleepy, and overthinking everything while acting like an idiot. You can decide for me. :P

Still looking forwards to those updates, Reudh. I can't write anything else until Lord Reudh gets to the bloodplains, anyway. Oh, and question... When Reudh does find Vanya, will his companions leave him, or stick around?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:42:25 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: November 17, 2012, 08:07:38 am »

I think, stick with him providing they're still alive by that stage.

I'm writing up the one involving Sewaturet first, then the entry after that will be on the blood plains. (Reudh has a terrible sense of direction.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: November 17, 2012, 10:56:26 am »

given his home sat on a bloodplain I would say so. And such an explaination for the many gods of the worlds beating the hell out of eachother.... Well theimage in my head of various eldritch horrors and angels and such battleing in some nether realm against the gods of Everoc's own creatrures seems quite fitting.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: November 17, 2012, 07:47:31 pm »

I think I have three or four more updates before I'm done with the story arc I'm writing in, so let's just say that if Vanya did get back before it's over, it takes place near the end of Tomio's reign

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: November 17, 2012, 08:04:24 pm »

I think I have three or four more updates before I'm done with the story arc I'm writing in, so let's just say that if Vanya did get back before it's over, it takes place near the end of Tomio's reign
Not gonna happen. I estimate that I have somewhere between six and fourteen chapters before she gets back home. I still haven't managed to figure out how I'm going to work in Reudh's extra characters, either. If they stay, they'll be taking a trip to Parasol, and without Reudh's permission I don't feel comfortable in killing any of them off (or even harming them, lol). It could be a bit, and we could wind up with a number of O_O-ish humans. Not to mention Lord Reudh himself.

Take your time, The Master. I'd love to get Vanya back by the end of your reign... especially as that would make the most sense timewise. As Vanya's next bits will be largely standalone at Parasol, I should fly straight through them without having to consult with anyone, so that'll speed things up. I'm chomping at the bit here.

One question, though. Unrelated.
Did the humans launch their first siege on us last winter, and it only made it into the records as a footnote?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: November 17, 2012, 08:06:46 pm »

IMPORTANT NEWS (in my mind): I've worked out a reason for the Spawn to be attacking Spearbreakers.
    Sankis is, as some have said, Armok's nemesis. He would therefore attack the place where Armok has the most power. As Armok is the God of Blood, the blood plains would be a sign of his power, and Spearbreakers just so happens to sit right next to them. If you wanted, you could say that the blood rain is a sign from Armok that he hasn't given up on the world.
    Furthering this epic-meta-clusterfuck are all the portals from parallel universes. I imagine that it'd be ridiculous to believe that whenever a portal opened, the gods stayed put on their side of them, since every universe would have its own gods. With all the activity from Parasol, Ballpoint, Eris and Stone INC., I think it's very likely that their gods are trying to increase their power on the Everoc side. If this is true, then it's not just a war between Parasol and Ballpoint, and it's not just a war between dwarves and spawn... it's a war between the gods of five universes, all battling for more power, and even with that, Armok is showing the dwarves of Spearbreakers that the fight isn't yet lost. Perhaps the war on the ground is part of the war in the heavens, in that if Spearbreakers falls, Armok's enemies gain a foothold.

Wait does that mean that Armok's Soldiers in the earthly plane are the completely insane, criminally depressed and totally awesome Dwarves of Spearbreakers?... Well Armok wins this fight.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: November 17, 2012, 08:10:44 pm »

Not gonna happen. I estimate that I have somewhere between six and fourteen chapters before she gets back home. I still haven't managed to figure out how I'm going to work in Reudh's extra characters, either. If they stay, they'll be taking a trip to Parasol, and without Reudh's permission I don't feel comfortable in killing any of them off (or even harming them, lol). It could be a bit, and we could wind up with a number of O_O-ish humans. Not to mention Lord Reudh himself.

Take your time, The Master. I'd love to get Vanya back by the end of your reign... especially as that would make the most sense timewise. As Vanya's next bits will be largely standalone at Parasol, I should fly straight through them without having to consult with anyone, so that'll speed things up. I'm chomping at the bit here.

One question, though. Unrelated.
Did the humans launch their first siege on us last winter, and it only made it into the records as a footnote?

Lurit, Strohe and Tedaz are yours to do as you will with them when Vanya, Lord Reudh and the others meet. I don't mind if they get killed off or injured.

As for the humans?

something something I got splint to kill their guild rep something something
Pages: 1 ... 427 428 [429] 430 431 ... 815