Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2200533 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #7455 on: January 30, 2013, 10:47:35 pm »

If it means progress with the fort itself, I'd be willing to start sacrificing virgins.

Nominated
This, and this.

Splint, everyone else is too fearful for their sanity to attempt it. You know the lore better than anyone else - you therefore have my vote. I'd attempt it myself, but as life keeps pointing out... I'm somewhat short on time.

Unless you want Captain Spacebar to come to the rescue.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: January 31, 2013, 02:30:52 am »

If I had enough skill that I could confidently say I could do better than Captain Spacebar, I'd nominate myself. I at least have proper internet now >.>

But no, I very, very, very (times infinity) doubt I could deal with it. I vote Count Splint, and sacrificing virgins.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #7457 on: January 31, 2013, 03:00:36 am »

I could play if people don't really care that I don't know the narrative, and make it up as a go along (I can do a two-day turnaround on Spearbreakers if warrented; I did that with Swordthunders). I leave it up to the dicression of the community.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: January 31, 2013, 09:03:06 am »

If you aren't comfortable with it it's ok. Nobody's gonna force you. Ok, since you guys don't mind, I'm just gonna go ahead and grab the save. I'm going to use Mr Frog's suggestion for turns as it sounds reasonable, and it could/should result in a more stable rotation of players.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: January 31, 2013, 10:03:39 am »

Talvi; something you might find interesting/amusing; when I was three a drunken hairdresser cut the tip of my right ear off. :P

Just the very tip, so it healed pretty quickly, but I remember that it freakin' hurt. Still got a scar there, and a gap in the cartilage.
Huh, whoa. :\ That's a bit of an uncanny coincidence, there... Well, somewhat - Vanya actually never had her ears cut, obviously, she was just broken into it becoming a lasting fear.

It's actually a more recent thing I decided on... Vanya's experience with Mr Frog cutting her hair freaked her out and actually made her cry, but I never explained why, implying that it might possibly be vanity. When Katie goes to trim it, it only makes sense that Vanya would freak out there, too... but I didn't have a reason, and "Just Because" didn't cut it for me. I had a whole line set up for her about a "just because" kind of thing: "I guess it's just part of who I am, like X, X, and X," but it left me uncomfortable. I didn't like it. So now she has a reason, a reason I decided to incorporate into the story later on if I can (which should be fun).

Sudden war between Spearbreakers and Swordthunders. Researching the latter now.
Why would they go to war? I'm confused... Are they even in the same universe? This is one of those ideas I'm iffy about, and I'm a little glad ThatAussieGuy vetoed it. Spearbreakers itself may not stand alone, but at least it's in its own universe.

Goddamnit it was a joke I commented on NCommander being crazy enough to sign up for both Spearbreakers and Swordthunders at the same time and getting both his turns at (give or take) the same time. Doesn't help that as I said in that post that I was half asleep and probably made it sound more serious than I intended.
Whoa, calm down. Perhaps you were making a joke, but other people decided it was a good idea. I was addressing them, not you.

edit: I actually wouldn't mind you taking a turn, Magnus. I'm sure you'd do a pretty decent job, and you're pretty up-to-date on everything, too. Maybe after Splint's turn?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:57:33 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: January 31, 2013, 11:16:58 am »

[A crude little intro for my adoring citizenry! nah not really. you'd all probably spike the booze with cyanide or something if I made any unreasonable demands.]

“Well sir, we haven't been able to find a suitable candidate to Succeed Overseer Tomio. They all say they'd like to not end up like the head armorer or Lord Reudh.” Fischer said, looking over the list of recent choices by both the Duke and Overseer Tomio made before his departure. “I've done some polling and the population seems to at least be indifferent to you taking charge again, sir.” She added before setting the list aside.

“Really now?” Splint said, sitting in his desk chair, a contemplating look on his face. “Very well then. Inform the population I'll be taking charge again.” He finally said after a silent minute.

“Very good sir. Anything else you'd like me to pass along?” The Colonel asked, standing at attention.

“Yes. I understand you have to keep the troops sharp so I'd like you to have my personal guards assist you in organizing a recruitment drive.”

“Are you sure sir?” Fischer asked, raising a brow. Not that Splint could see with her visor down.

“Of course. They could use some time off from guarding my door and my office.” Splint replies, affording himself a quick laugh. “The day an enemy gets past the depot doors is the day hell freezes over. Besides, our military might has been woefully mangled in the recent disasters. So many losses of comrades seems to have even taken a toll on Draignean.”

“It has sir, on all of us. Morale's still fair however. We'll manage.”

“Good, that'll be all then Colonel. I have to check in with Mr Frog to make sure nothing's poking around outside.” With that, the noble left the room as Fischer called his guards together to inform them of the recruitment plans.

A third term of office... Another year, another pile of corpses to be made of dwarfdom's enemies.

Another year to show that his people were unafraid of even the worst the world could muster.

Jack Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: January 31, 2013, 03:00:33 pm »

Good intro, Splint :)

I'm tempted to give it a go, but like I said, I really doubt I have the skill necessary to handle Spearbreakers. I have next to zero experience even operating a military. There's also the fact that I haven't played DF in... a few months >.>

If absolutely no one else shows up to take a turn after Splint, I guess I could give it a go, but otherwise I'd rather let someone more capable than me to take the helm.

The thought of being the overseer to this place is terrifying.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: January 31, 2013, 03:04:41 pm »

Why thank you good sir. And yes, overseership is horrific here.

I do have one complaint: Seriously, is it really that difficult for you guys to clean up after you slaughter the local invading armies?

EDIT: A short pic-less update shall come soon boys and girls! Sit tight!

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: January 31, 2013, 04:22:31 pm »

Now that the story is going again, I'd like to be re-dwarfed now.
As before, I would prefer a male medical dwarf or soldier, but won't mind too much if that can't be done.  For story-telling purposes however, I want him to be from one of the next migrant waves.  Or to use the dwarving request format:
Soulslicer ii - Male, medical dwarf or soldier, from next migrant wave.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: January 31, 2013, 04:40:27 pm »

WOO! SPLINT!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: January 31, 2013, 04:53:27 pm »

[Hello denizens of the 12th Bay. I give to you a very brief update, as a sign of progress! Also, If you don't mind, how about Soulchopper for your new dwarf? With subsequent redorfings being a combination of soul and some word for cutting. Makes it slightly less obvious.]

1st Granite, 210

Tomio has departed, on some mission I have no clue of. Wether or not he'll come back however is of little consequence to me. Spearbreakers once more falls to me to lead, to maintain it's might.

I decided the first order of business would be to improve Kaspa's Office. It's down the hall from my guards' quarters, so i figure I could spare some resources to maintain a certainstandard of accomodations on this level. Besides, we have the bars, so why not? I've also sent Rose to find where Kaspa currently resides to inform her that she'll be moved into her office. I'm sure having an iron plated floor and some finely made accomodations will brighten her mood even more.

[Our current standing as of the third.]

[A new storage area, as well as TheKaspa's new accomodations (currently awaiting iron-plate flooring) and an extra office planned to be dug.]

2nd Granite, 210

I've decided that, due to the sheer amount of extra copper, we should pave over our dirt paths. I've also marked out a new space to be floored over to put nest boxes, so we can begin properly raising a giant emu force, and I've ordered all fields to be left fallow until such a time that we absolutly need to grow more. Due to all the animals that need to be sheared, milked, and culled to thin them out we'll have masses of food to spare. I've also decided should more merchants, be they human or dwarve come, I think we can afford to seel some of our excess provisions.

3rd Granite, 210

I decided to interview Iki, our currently only nondwarven resident who hasn't tried to kill us at some point. According to him, I am pleased to hear, life is good amongst our people. Surprisingly so. I asked him why and he said that given the "Endless shitstorm" we've been weathering, he's amazed so many of our kind live here.

"Get to know us human, we dwarves are amazing." Is what I told him. He agrees wholeheartedly and is glad he left behind his old life.

[Iki. His lack of thought recordings is due to him being listed as Tame, or due to him only being a relatively recent resident who spends all his non-hauling time in the surface statue garden.]

---

Well, I've been informed of a battlefield looter in the area by a recent inductee to the civil Defense Corps. A kobold, to be specific. He also showed me proof of this intruder, who had very little in the way of a recognizable head, as well as what looked like a water buffalo's shinbones jammed in the eye sockets.

Well, I think they were the eye sockets.

[Now you may have noticed his tone seems to be more formal. that's because it is. I'm gonna try for sudden shifts in tone and overall behavior (From rather frivolous COPPERPLATEDEVERYTHING to a calmer version of an angry marine.) You met calm formal madman.

I think I'll save the real bigtime and openly viewable sanity hemorrhaging for for if I get around to the invasion my turn. I'll be adding pics shortly.]

Ethanland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: January 31, 2013, 05:14:43 pm »

Wow, I've been gone for around a month and nothing happened.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: January 31, 2013, 05:20:27 pm »

Look again good sir. I've posted an update and the turns have all been shuffled around (read: basically reset.)

It's a small start, but a start all the same for the sake of progress.

Ethanland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: January 31, 2013, 05:27:12 pm »

With what's been happening, I wonder how long this progress will last. Also, can I have a turn again?

soulslicerjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: January 31, 2013, 05:35:29 pm »

[Also, If you don't mind, how about Soulchopper for your new dwarf? With subsequent redorfings being a combination of soul and some word for cutting. Makes it slightly less obvious.]

Sure, why not?
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 815