Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2178524 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #8010 on: March 15, 2013, 05:58:15 pm »

Here's a link to the Creative Projects page for my drawing program, if anyone cares. I only realised after uploading it that I'd forgotten to include any sort of licensing or copyright info, so plagiarise away, Internet gremlins!

E: Incidentally, my old rendition of Mr Frog (the one currently on the wiki) makes my soul hurt, so I'm going to draw up another. I'm going to try a rendition of Joseph as well. Are there any other characters that need pics? I'm looking for opportunities to practice drawing people, so this is perfect.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:33:07 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: March 15, 2013, 06:42:34 pm »

Now why would anyone plagiarise that..?

Hmm... reckon you could draw LFTON? Please?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: March 15, 2013, 06:43:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yay, I made arts... sort of. Well, it's better than stuff I usually make, at least. Thanks, Mr Frog. I'm still getting used to it, but it works wonders. (the above is after only fifteen minutes of fiddling.)

edit: Sus doesn't have a pic, as far as I know... And neither does Count Splint, at which I am actually really surprised. Or Paintbrushturkey. Mitch has his "social reforms" pic... Tomio doesn't have a picture, though how you would draw an adamantine-colossus-turned-farmer, I have no idea. Draconik Sankis doesn't have a pic... Jack Magnus doesn't have a pic... SSJ doesn't have a pic... And Urist doesn't have a pic, which also surprises me.

reedit: The work on Stova and the Blood Plains looks great, Splint! -thumbup- Now we just need pics... It's fun to see the wiki fill up, though, and it's a nice change of pace. What'll really stink is when we finish up with the universe and the wiki is done.

Rereedit: Lolfail, you're helping, too, I noticed. Thanks for that. :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:06:59 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: March 15, 2013, 07:12:31 pm »

I was helping and then Firefox ate three hours of article work for Lurit :(

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8014 on: March 15, 2013, 07:13:29 pm »

You're welcome, Talvieno :3

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: March 15, 2013, 07:17:18 pm »

@Lolfail:

Okay, sure, after I'm done Mr Frog's new pic and Joseph's I'll get on to yours, because you asked first.

Incidentally, it'd be a good idea to give me some details on what the character's supposed to look like, because I probably won't know. Other details like their general temperament, as well as what they should be doing in the pic and what sort of scenery should be present (provided it's not too complex) will also help.

Basically, I'll try my best to fulfill any art requests to the letter, but I won't know to include specific details unless they are provided.

So, that aside, what does LFTON look like, what does Zedo look like, is there anything specific you'd like them to be doing, etc..
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: March 15, 2013, 07:18:41 pm »

I have now done the Vampiric wars. if anyone wants to concoct more things for that particular part of history feel free.

Also: I know that feel Reudh. I know that feel.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: March 15, 2013, 07:30:35 pm »

@Mr Frog
Spoiler: LFTON (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zedo (click to show/hide)

Thanks again for doing this, I can't art to save my life.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: March 16, 2013, 12:19:57 am »

*shameless double post*
I must say, the Wiki is going swimmingly! Huzzah for Talvieno!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: March 16, 2013, 12:59:14 am »

@Mr Frog
Spoiler: LFTON (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zedo (click to show/hide)

Thanks again for doing this, I can't art to save my life.

Okay, that all pans out. For the beard (since these are dwarves) I will go with a somewhat-tame Xanatos-ish goatee, because a true dwarven megabeard and a tuxedo just cannot coexist in my mind.

Also, don't get your hopes up too high regarding the quality -- I am very much not a professional illustrator :p

New Mr Frog pic about halfway done.

E: Regarding the swords -- are there any important details, or should I just give him generic katanas? The TI graphing calculator where my brain should be just cannot come up with fancy weapon designs.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:02:35 am by Mr Frog »

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: March 16, 2013, 01:05:09 am »

LFTON wields "hand-and-a-half" broadswords. Scindite has a garnet embedded in the pommel, Sarcirent a ruby.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:07:19 am by Lolfail0009 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: March 16, 2013, 01:37:55 am »

I always imagined he just used a pair of generic European style swords (Viking style swords I guess would probably look better? I dunno,) since he's using Spearbreakers issue adamantine short swords due to the whole flying kobold sword theft he suffered the indignity of on the way here.

Seriously, he's only got a pair of short swords, but I can try and get a couple longswords made and in his hands(which would fall under the hand-and-a-half classification better than what he has in-game)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: March 16, 2013, 02:16:04 am »

Really? You can make longswords?
Please do :D
Short swords are a bit... stabby anyway.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: March 16, 2013, 02:34:41 am »

That we can, I had intended they be badges of office for swordsdwarf squad leaders. I'll put an order in for a pair if we don't have any on hand.

EDIT: So, I found out what Zopsu's syndrome does thanks to Dauros' dog. Severe swelling to the point of necrosis.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: March 16, 2013, 04:23:35 am »

3rd Felsite, 210

Preparations are underway. Dauros insists he be permitted to exterminate the timeless ones, and with luck, the monsters who plagued us will all be dead and masses of untapped resources at our disposal, even more than what we have already claimed!

4th Felsite, 210

Well, I decided I'd make a mandate for some random thing. Pulled ballista arrow out of a hat, so ballista arrow it is.

5th Felsite, 210

I decided to have a bit of exploratory mining done, and I daresay it paid off! Rodge and AussieEvil inform me we have calcite, which means we may have far greater reserves of flux than previously thought! I mean, granted we really don't need steel.... Well steel anything at this point really thanks to Draignean insisting upon Adamantine extraction though so....

Oh, and we found a good bit of silver and some rose quartz.

I don't know what I was so afraid of. Maybe after we invade we can extract that third spire and the rest of the second, send the Queen something nice.

7th Felsite, 210

Floods of reports of perfectly made munitons flood my report box, though there was a standout one from Dauros.

"Everything's ready."

He prepares to engage the timeless ones once more. I'm sure when Fischer hobbles her way into my office when she's next able to walk she'll be proud to hear of his accomplishments. He's been down there a week, waiting them out. Evidently Zopsu is making his move, with Dirlu not long away, biding his time in the cavern lake.

15th Felsite, 210

I've been so busy training I didn't have time to write or check up on Dauros, so I sent Markerlight down. He sequestered severald warves and ropes saying they had a big catch. Glad to hear Dauros is ok.

We got visitors, an elvish caravan. I may humor thier diplomat this time around just to spite them come next year.

16th Felsite, 210

The elves brought a jaguar. I do believe I'll purchase that fine predator for myself.

18th Felsite, 210

The green tide comes.

Dauros' Second Battle in the Depths.

13th Felsite, 210

[Much of the following was  a bunch of dodge dodge stab on Dauros' part for the entire fight, though he got a few consecutive hits in here and there.]

Dauros had been biding his time for a week now, and the beast had reared its ugly head. It was some kind of ugly lobster with an elephant's trunk on its face, and if he didn't know better he'd have thought it was made of choclate.

It made a noise like an elephant too.

Dauros rushed forward at the monster, knowing full well he'd have to work at this one; so many legs, then there was the pincers and the trunk... He got the first strike in, managing to dodge a claw that snapped closed impossibly fast, on Dauro's going into a crouch and thrust upward saved him from being neatly cleaved in twain by one powerful, now limp and useless, claw. It swung the now useless limb down on him, causing him to roll aside and only just swing his pike, the tip catching it's trunk and appearently hitting an important blood vessle as blood sprayed forth for an instant.

It made a gargled trumpeting sound and charged at him, bowling the dwarf over in its angered state and slamming into a blood thorn tree before coming to a stop, shaking it's head in confusion. This thing had peculiar anatomy for a lobster indeed. Dauros got to his feet and attacked, stabbing one leg, then anaother, and then got swatted by the monster's good claw into a sweet pod bush. Dauros was a bit groggy by the repeated hard hits, but he would not be beaten by some uppity crusteacean. He got to his feet and bellowed a challenge to the beast, to which it slammed its good claw on the ground, probably as a combination of a threat display and a means of saying "Challenge accepted."

The two charged headlong at eachother when suddenly the beast seemed to be tripped up and awkwardly slid into a shocked Dauros' pike face first, the impact sendinghim tumbling backward in the muck, with his pike jutting out of Zopsu's head, carrying a muddy glow for just a breif instance.

"The hell was that about?" He asked nobody in particular when he realized he heard snarling. A dog's snarling. After wrenching his pike free he turned and saw that his faithful hound had clamped down on the monster's remaining good leg on its right side, eveidently being just enough to make it stumble. "Now who let you down here Ingiz?" he asked the pooch, patting it on the head after wiping Zopsu's blood off on the monster's shell.

"Uh, I did, the Duke sent me to check on you." Markerlight said. "Guess you're fine. I'll send a crew down here to get the body. No sense lettin'g ood meat go to waste right?"

"Better boil it first to kill anything in its blood just in case." Dauros cautioned. Ingiz's paws already looked to be in sorry shape and it had only been in contact with some of the blood smear from his cutting part of the trunk.

14th Felsite, 210

Ingiz's condition deteriorated rapidly over the following night. Dauros had a passing miner, Rodge, keep an eye on him while he set out looking for Dirlu. Soon, he would sight his quarry, a massive hairy tick with a stinger coming out of it's hind end.

Which Dauros proceeded to stab in the face several times as it tried to get out of the water, cracking chitin open and destroying one eye, as well as disabling a mandible before it threw itself out of the water, forcing Dauros back, lest he be crushed under its bulk. What followed was a furious flurry of attacks by the enraged bug, Dauros blocking and counterattacking each blow sent at him, his steel shield getting increasingly pitted and dented, his footing barely holding as he grew tired... He couldn't keep this up. He charged and shoved the beast back into the water and withdrew, his muscles aching terribly and having to use his pike for support as he fled to get a brief respite.

He limped back after an hour, the monster being audibly floundering with disabled limbs. Dauros was not pleased by what he was greeted with: Ingiz had died, the swelling in his paws having gotten so bad in the hour he was gone that the skin tore and he bled to death. Dauros sat and drank deply of his wineskin for the next few hours before setting fourth again; he would show no mercy, and this time he would not flee. Ingiz's memory deserved that much, and he needed something to take his anger out on.

He once more neared the water, and the beast angrily flopped towards the shore of the great underground lake. Dauros simply waited, a scowl on his face. Once the beast more or less rolled on shore like a morbidly obese cat hunts for prey, Dauros unceremoniously put his pike through the giant Tick's head.

He actually felt quite happy about it afterwards.
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 815